Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Homes to be re-valued for Property Tax in November 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,116 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I understood quite incorrectly only properties in un finished /ghost estates where exempt from this offensive Tax, not all houses built after 2013, am I understanding this correctly?

If true, its outrageous and surely legally questionable. How can it be a new build house not affected by the crash debacle not be taxable, it makes absolutely no sense and extremely unfair. I've been paying property tax since the start, admitidly as I've a small restored cottage in the middle of nowhere, I'm on lower band but that's not the point.

Houses built >2013 haven't got a comparable valuation date hence can't be taxed, there is a new valuation date in November 2021 so that sorts that out.

It will then be the case that >2022 houses aren't taxed til a valuation date is set again. The original revaluation date was meant to be something like 2015 but has been repeatedly booted down the road when elections loom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

I understood quite incorrectly only properties in un finished /ghost estates where exempt from this offensive Tax, not all houses built after 2013, am I understanding this correctly?

If true, its outrageous and surely legally questionable. How can it be a new build house not affected by the crash debacle not be taxable, it makes absolutely no sense and extremely unfair. I've been paying property tax since the start, admitidly as I've a small restored cottage in the middle of nowhere, I'm on lower band but that's not the point.

The goverenment (quietly) agrees with you that it's legally questionable, that's why they're doing something about it.

The main reason that it wasn't done earlier was because of FG's political cowardice, knowing that as the value of housing rose sharply so too would the cost of the tax; leading to fears of them losing seats in elections (general, local and European).

LPT is far too low, should be double if not more

• Registered Users Posts: 26,965 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It'as a self-declaration tax. Surely anyone unfortunate enough to own such a house would value it at close to zero as it's completely unsaleable?

I don't believe it is a self declaration tax (property) its assessed by local authorities? I do believe there are exemptions for properties affected by this dreadful nightmare and besides, likely most of these properties built after 2013, I'm open to correction on this

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

LPT is far too low, should be double if not more

Are you offering to pay mine? What kind of statement is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭howiya

Dav010 wrote: »
    It may be the least worst way of assessing owners for property tax. The counter argument to your example is the person earning less may have lower outgoings than EO’B, or may have paid considerably less for the house. So valuing properties in bands may be the fairest, everyone hates it equally.

Yeah I don't have a strong opinion on it either way. Just answering why it is considered to be a regressive tax.

The goverenment (quietly) agrees with you that it's legally questionable, that's why they're doing something about it.

The main reason that it wasn't done earlier was because of FG's political cowardice, knowing that as the value of housing rose sharply so too would the cost of the tax; leading to fears of them losing seats in elections (general, local and European).

But surely quietly doing something about it won't cut mustard, I wonder has there been any test cases or legal discussions on this situation, I'm just actually shocked to learn this today.

I can genuinely understand exemptions when fair, ghost, unfinished estates etc but there's been substantial developments since then with full services, amenities etc, it's just extraordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

One of the madder things about it was that buying ANY house in 2013 exempted you from LPT, not just a new build. I think it was revealed as an error they made at the time which was removed for subsequent years, but has still meant 8 years exemption for anyone who bought a second hand house that year and kept it as their main residence.
    Properties that are exempt from Local Property Tax
    Properties purchased in 2013 are exempt until the end of 2021 if used as your sole or main residence. If the property is subsequently sold or ceases to be your main residence between 2013 and 2020, the exemption no longer applies.[\quote]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

But surely quietly doing something about it won't cut mustard, I wonder has there been any test cases or legal discussions on this situation, I'm just actually shocked to learn this today.

I can genuinely understand exemptions when fair, ghost, unfinished estates etc but there's been substantial developments since then with full services, amenities etc, it's just extraordinary.

There has been lots in the media about it; this is a recent example:- https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40295174.html

And bodies like the ESRI have been quite critical of the fact that Paschal ran into his garden shed to hide whenever the subject was raised.

L1011 wrote: »
    Houses built >2013 haven't got a comparable valuation date hence can't be taxed, there is a new valuation date in November 2021 so that sorts that out.

It will then be the case that >2022 houses aren't taxed til a valuation date is set again. The original revaluation date was meant to be something like 2015 but has been repeatedly booted down the road when elections loom.

Is it seriously the argument its taken 8 years to comparable valuations, this is just beggar's belief, how long has the property register been in operation. I just don't get this argument, not being critical of you, just this extraordinary situation.

• Advertisement

I don't believe it is a self declaration tax (property) its assessed by local authorities? I do believe there are exemptions for properties affected by this dreadful nightmare and besides, likely most of these properties built after 2013, I'm open to correction on this

Its self-declaration. You're sent a suggested band but can correct this at will

Now, if you sell a house for vastly more than the band you had picked, you may be asked to explain this!
    Is it seriously the argument its taken 8 years to comparable valuations, this is just beggar's belief, how long has the property register been in operation. I just don't get this argument, not being critical of you, just this extraordinary situation.

The valuation date is the only thing that was outstanding - Revenue/councils do not actually value the house.

The date was kicked out, repeatedly, to try protect the sitting Governments seats in various elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

C14N wrote: »
    I don't understand this argument. How is property tax regressive? If your property has a higher value, you pay more, and property owners in general are more likely to have higher wealth than non-property owners.

Because it has no relationship with your ability to pay. It is a notional value should you want to sell your house and would be OK if you paid it then. But .... my wages have not increased and I don't see how I need to pay more tax because my neighbours have sold their houses and apparently raised the value of my house at the same time.

I am not selling and it is already costing me more of my supposedly disposable (after tax income) to maintain it and now I have to pay more tax because someone else decides to value my house at a higher rate???? Anyway, I bought and paid for my house with my own money... without needing or getting any help from government, in fact I saved them money by doing so.... why then do I have to be punished for that achievement?

I was told at school that tax has to be fair and seen to be so, this is not. Tax the sale price, if you have to... not the estimate.

There has been lots in the media about it; this is a recent example:- https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40295174.html

And bodies like the ESRI have been quite critical of the fact that Paschal ran into his garden shed to hide whenever the subject was raised.

Honestly, I'd been away but still paying the tax, genuinely wasn't aware and just accepted the situation without question, my blood pressure rising :)

Its self-declaration. You're sent a suggested band but can correct this at will

Now, if you sell a house for vastly more than the band you had picked, you may be asked to explain this!

The valuation date is the only thing that was outstanding - Revenue/councils do not actually value the house.

The date was kicked out, repeatedly, to try protect the sitting Governments seats in various elections.

Ah, I understood, thanks but it's just quite shocking so many properties exempted and for what appears to be delays in a, process, just appalling, I genuinely had not idea this was the situation

Ah, I understood, thanks but it's just quite shocking so many properties exempted and for what appears to be delays in a, process, just appalling, I genuinely had not idea this was the situation

Its not delays to a process; its deliberate delays by Governments scared of electoral responses.

It was delayed in Budget 2016 by Noonan as there was an election looming, and in Budget 2019 by O'Donoghue as there was an election looming. It was most recently kicked out a final year due to COVID.

If the coalition was shakier they probably would have kicked it out again.

Its not delays to a process; its deliberate delays by Governments scared of electoral responses.

It was delayed in Budget 2016 by Noonan as there was an election looming, and in Budget 2019 by O'Donoghue as there was an election looming. It was most recently kicked out a final year due to COVID.

If the coalition was shakier they probably would have kicked it out again.

Yes I'm hearing you, just galling all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭touts

Fully agree with property tax to pay for services but it should be based on those services not on some fictional valuation of the house.

Start with a base of say €20
    Connected to public sewer. €20
    Street lighting outside your house €5
    Footpath outside your house €5
    Within 5km of a motorway €5
    Within 5km of a Library. €5
    Within 2km of a School €5
    Within 1km of a public transportation link €5
    And so on

Basically add up every service in your area that the tax is supposed to pay for and pay a small contribution to that service. Those services generally add to the value of the house anyway but this way people can see what their tax is paying for. People benefitting the most from state services pay the most .

touts wrote: »
    Fully agree with property tax to pay for services but it should be based on those services not on some fictional valuation of the house.

And so on

Basically add up every service in your area that the tax is supposed to pay for and pay a small contribution to that service. Those services generally add to the value of the house anyway but this way people can see what their tax is paying for. People benefitting the most from state services the most pay the most .

This would leave isolated houses that are exceptionally expensive to serve paying less than urban dwellings which are comparatively cheap

The eight streetlights on my road of 60 houses will cost less to maintain (and probably to install - but as they were developer supplied the house cost covered that) than one for a rural house

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

No contribution for water supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Agreed, we are long overdue a menu of charges for the services we can expect from councils.
    '
    Anytime you ask what you get for your tax you are fobbed off with 'libraries and swimming pools' etc.... It is very hard to get an actual list of service entitlements off them, try getting a road fixed or grass cut or tree maintained - we used to get these for our tax payments before they made up the property tax. We also got bin collections paid for as well, before we went down the private enterprise route where you pay separately and will keep paying more for your less waste collected because if we all reduce as much as we should, the business becomes unsustainable, without cost increases.

While I agree we should have a list of services and charges, I would also argue that we were already paying for these services before property tax.

• Advertisement

touts wrote: »

And so on

Basically add up every service in your area that the tax is supposed to pay for and pay a small contribution to that service. Those services generally add to the value of the house anyway but this way people can see what their tax is paying for. People benefitting the most from state services the most pay the most .

Just in response

I have my own waste plant

I recycle most things but pay for Refuse when required.

I have Solar Power but have an ESB connection as back up and pay government levy for the luxury

I have my own water well

I live in the middle of Nowhere

What services am I paying for exactly?

The Road outside is supposed to be partly covered by the Motor Tax I pay

Yes I'm be pedantic but not every house has the luxury of services you mention, just a humble opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,185 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Ger Roe wrote: »
    While I agree we should have a list of services and charges, I would also argue that we were already paying for these services before property tax.

The LPT is not new income to the councils, it replaces previous income.

So there won't be any new service provided specifically due to LPT income.

Biggest element of LA spending is on housing.

Social housing / HAP / RAS, homelessness, etc.

Roads also big.

Just in response

http://localauthorityfinances.com/

Pick your local authority here and have a look.

Geuze wrote: »
    http://localauthorityfinances.com/

Pick your local authority here and have a look.

So I owe Louth CoCo, give or take, €240 per year. Which is less than the average LPT I would imagine.

Although, of course, for those unfamiliar, Louth CoCo are arguably the single worst, laziest and incompetent of all the Councils. They've also manage to spend less than the national average in every category on that site, except "Development Management" and I'd love to know where that money goes, because feck all gets done for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I'm sure they could come up with some conservative value, seeing as the just built it, there is probably a mortgage and valuation for this, and a valuation for insurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭148multi

Just in response

I have my own waste plant

I recycle most things but pay for Refuse when required.

I have Solar Power but have an ESB connection as back up and pay government levy for the luxury

I have my own water well

I live in the middle of Nowhere

Yes I'm be pedantic but not every house has the luxury of services you mention, just a humble opinion :)

Well someone has to pay for the mobile library ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

The 2013 exemption doesn’t seem fair to the rest of us. Was t aware that was the case

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭hometruths

ForestFire wrote: »
    I'm sure they could come up with some conservative value, seeing as the just built it, there is probably a mortgage and valuation for this, and a valuation for insurance!

Here's an idea - the purchase price?

• Advertisement

People would be arguing that they should be paying based on what the purchase price notionally could have been at the last valuation date - cause thats the date everyone else is paying for. Legislation would have to be quite strong on that to avoid challenge.

Basically it was meant to be every 3 years, which could be argued for on the basis of development levies paid as part of the house cost - but its somehow turned in to 8.

Advertisement