Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Indycar 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Looks like it's a shootout between Palou, Helio and Pato going to be great!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

What a race.

Helioooooooo!!!! Legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

What a win. Timed it perfectly for the overtake. Delighted for em.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

That was epic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Great race. Big fan of Mike Shank from his sportscar team, absolutely delighted for them all.

Reading a report probably won't make it seem the most exciting race but it was a good one live.

Brilliantly timed pass at the end.

And 100 quid profit for me ain't the worst. :pac: Not too go too far into gambling talk but IndyCar is something I've likely made 7 or 8 times my money back on over the years. Pre-race the odds today were almost just qualifying order. In-race they don't react quickly at all and don't seem to account for strategy at all. Looks like Paddy Power have stopped doing it (or maybe it's just me :pac: )

I can't believe it was 20 freakin years ago I watched this exact same man climb that fence, 20 years on he does it again for a 4th time

Greatest driver to never win an indycar championship, one of the greatest to have never raced in Formula 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Great win tonight for Spiderman. And good to see Pato, Herta, Palou and Veekay show that these guys are the future. Still a bit of a season ahead. Dixon almost on the back foot in the points.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

If I were Gene Haas I’d be making a play to bring Colton Herta to F1.

A famous name in Motorsport, young, American and most importantly talented, surely they wont be short of sponsors to try get behind that instead of the **** show they have now?

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »
    If I were Gene Haas I’d be making a play to bring Colton Herta to F1.

A famous name in Motorsport, young, American and most importantly talented, surely they wont be short of sponsors to try get behind that instead of the **** show they have now?

It's all about Money. I don't think Herta would draw the sort of money that would turn things around for Haas.

Herta basically has a shot at winning races in Indy most weeks. Why move to F1 to plod around at the back of the field

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    It's all about Money. I don't think Herta would draw the sort of money that would turn things around for Haas.

Herta basically has a shot at winning races in Indy most weeks. Why move to F1 to plod around at the back of the field

That’s what I’m saying though. Surely Herta would bring in some money? Maybe not but the only thing F1 is lacking is an American driver so I thought there would be some demand to see that to the point where some sponsors would back him.

Faugheen wrote: »
    That’s what I’m saying though. Surely Herta would bring in some money? Maybe not but the only thing F1 is lacking is an American driver so I thought there would be some demand to see that to the point where some sponsors would back him.

But is Herta going to being the $100m a year to give Haas a chance to compete for a podium? F1 money is 100s times more then Indycar costs.

Teams in Indycar could operate 3 or 4 cars a season on Hamiltons salary alone.

I think Americans are too wrapped up in their own domestic sports (basketball, baseball, nfl, nascar).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,938 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Faugheen wrote:
    F1 is lacking competitiveness. Only two cars have a shot to win on any given weekend, I suppose that's an improvement on the last couple of years where it was basically one car(Mercedes) that could win most weeks.
    You saw a 46 year old man use his driving skills to win last night.
    In F1 the driver doesn't matter much, you could take any of 15 drivers and put them in Hamilton's car and the results over the last couple of years would be close to identical.
    Indycar is far more competitive and more exciting because of that.
    An American driver not winning much isn't going to get big sponsorship. So if Herta got a Mercedes contract then yes it's be a huge deal but not if he got a Williams or other contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Oh, right, we're back. Detroit doubleheader.

Saturday
    Quali: 4pm
    Race: 7pm (green 7:05pm)

Sunday
    Quali: 2pm
    Race: 5pm (green 5:50pm)

Sky didn't show last night's practice by the way. And early listings for next weekend show similar treatment for Road America - no practice coverage, and losing the first half hour of pre-race for Ted's goddamn Notebook.

I'm not sure what the Sky coverage was like but NBC missed the start due and started their coverage just when the 1st lap was being completed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Ohmeha wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the Sky coverage was like but NBC missed the start due and started their coverage just when the 1st lap was being completed

No issues on Sky - interesting strategies being played out - hard to pick a winner at the moment

Very scary crash for Rosenqvist throttle stuck

And another example of idiotic TV directing to focus on the in cockpit camera shot of a driver clearly in pain

And another example of idiotic TV directing to focus on the in cockpit camera shot of a driver clearly in pain

Very positive update on Felix, concious,alert and no obvious injuries, Being brought to the hospital for more detailed scans.
    Great news .

• Advertisement

Yeah great to hear he is ok. Rossi with a great chance to get the win here now, His teammate Herta is a danger to him.

Wow, some smash. Too late to try pull neutral or anything.

I think Ericsson hit him :pac: kidding of course.

Well it's certainly not Will Power's lucky day

Brilliant for Ericsson. It's nice to see an ex F1 driver come into Indycar and get a win.

Oooh Will Power is really pisst at Indycar! There'll probably be repercussions for that outburst.

Oooh Will Power is really pisst at Indycar! There'll probably be repercussions for that outburst.

"F@#¥ this S~~~" - upset about losing an almost certain win.
    Will was fuming with some justification, why was there a red flag and the stupid rule that all cars must be stopped before cooling can be provided needs to be changed immediately.

We go again later today - Power for the win

Sky cutting away before the coverage was over was dissapointing - obviously the umpteenth repeat of a F1 race takes precende. ...

• Advertisement

Yeah, they cut away too quickly for ads and a repeat of a race. Would be nice to see more driver reactions after this Indycar race.

Infoanon wrote: »
    Sky cutting away before the coverage was over was dissapointing

No, it was 100% over. NBC had already gone an hour and twenty over their original window, so they quickly ushered themselves off air and directed the post race stuff to the NBC Sports website/app; which the internationals don't get a feed of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭racersedge

Couldn’t help but think there was a hint of irony that it was Grosjean’s crash that led to the circumstances of Ericsson’s first victory. Overdue payback for all those pointing fingers at Baku year ago and the endless fun we have poked about it since. ! :P

That is ironic!

I know we have some heat here in Ireland this weekend, but these guys are doing two races this weekend in a very hot Detroit. I'd say this race 2 will be one where concentration levels drop and we see lots of mistakes creep in making for great racing.

What a great finish to the race - thought the yellows would favour Josef , he held on very well at the end ,thought he was a sitting duck for the cars lined up behind him.

Road America next

• Advertisement

Infoanon wrote:
    What a great finish to the race - thought the yellows would favour Josef , he held on very well at the end ,thought he was a sitting duck for the cars lined up behind him.
    Pato O'Ward, the Irish-Mexican!, won it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

G'man Pat.

That was some pass by Pato to take 1st. Touching wheels too! He's some racer to come from 15th.

Another really fun race, Pato first repeat winner this season he just looks faster than everyone tight now in an ultra tight competitive field

Half way point looks like the title is going to be between the top 6 with three previous mutitime champions and three talented young drivers who are all only in their 2nd full seasons which is incredible

Road America this weekend.

There's going to be a big shakeup in the lineup this week, as Cody Ware of Rick Ware Racing fame will join us this weekend!
    ...alright, I guess the sarcasm doesn't come through well in text.

Friday
    FP1 - 10pm

Saturday
    FP2 - 4:05pm
    Quali - 7:30pm (Sky Sports F1)
    FP3 - 10:30pm

Sunday
    Race - 5pm (Sky Sports Mix; SSF1 at 5:30pm after Ted's meander around Paul Ricard)
    Green - 5:45pm

Good luck juggling all this around both the F1 and the F-E from Mexico.

Veekay is a major doubt for Road America he has broke a bone in a cycling accident otherwise he is ok

Kevin Magnussen to make his Indycar debut to replace Rosenqvist and Askew to replace Veekay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Magnussen led the race for a while before pitting. Seems to be doing OK for his debut. Good bit down the field now after his stop.

Magnussen led the race for a while before pitting. Seems to be doing OK for his debut. Good bit down the field now after his stop.

I jinxed him. Appears to have lost electronics and has pulled over to the side of the track.

Put a quid on Sato to win at 100/1 in running. Not often you'll get those odds on someone who's leading a race. :pac: Don't really fancy him but he's the only one off-strategy really so it's a no-brainer to throw something on at that price.
    Caution out, another 5 laps of caution and he can go to the end without stopping again. :pac:

• Advertisement

Grosjean is great entertainment in this race! Lots of close racing and overtakes!

Silly leaving someone out who's getting passed by multiple drivers on the straight. Even if there's caution etc. he's still at the back of the field with less fuel. Silly all around.

5CoWdbsKFnji.gif

It's just not Penske's year, is it?

Epic race. Old school track.

Enjoyed that race. And great to see so many ex F1 drivers lead the field for parts of the race.

Palou, he's some driver. He's making this championship his own...

Mid-Ohio this weekend, the last race before the long Olympic break.

Friday
    FP1 - 7:30pm

Saturday
    FP2 - 2:05pm
    Quali - 5pm (Sky F1 YouTube; tape-delay SSF1 5:45pm)
    FP3 - 8:30pm

Sunday
    Race - 5pm (Sky Sports F1 or Mix)
    Green - 5:05pm

Crazy start so far

Feel.like Hertha is minding his car. They're saying Newgarden is the one taking it easy.

• Advertisement

Motorsport Games has acquired the licence to produce IndyCar video games, with one coming in 2023: https://www.indycar.com/News/2021/07/07-15-Motorsport-Games

Post edited by TheChrisD on

Advertisement