Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indycar 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Anyone with a proper sky sub able to tell me when the 500's sky coverage starts? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Faugheen wrote: »
    Will Power in big trouble here.

He's in the bottom five, and his first run was a stinker.

Some brush of that wall. They're really not pulling the speeds today. Simona looking ok to get through at the moment.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Anyone with a proper sky sub able to tell me when the 500's sky coverage starts? :)

Not sure of the coverage time yet for sky. The Indycar website has it down for race start at 12:20pm ET, which is 5:20pm Irish Summer Time. Watch this space.

Fast 9 up next...

Not sure of the coverage time yet for sky. The Indycar website has it down for race start at 12:20pm ET, which is 5:20pm Irish Summer Time. Watch this space.

Fast 9 up next...

Cheers will be my first year watching it!

Who do we fancy for the 500?

• Advertisement

One of the Chip cars I'd think will win it. They're running very well all four of them. I'd say Dixon could win it, but maybe Veejay might give him a run for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Friday 28th
    Carb Day - 4pm (at least, that's what they've told us on the super Indy blog post they put out last week, it's still yet to appear on the listings)

Sunday 30th
    Sky Pre-race Studio - 3:45pm
    NBC Pre-race Build-up - 4pm
    Green Flag - 5:45pm
    All done and dusted by 9pm

Sky are actually bothering this year - the pre-race studio coverage will be fronted by Natalie Pinkman, Tom Gaymor, and Lando Norris. They will transition to the NBC coverage as soon as it starts, and will remain offering audio commentary during the NBC breaks (https://twitter.com/TomGaymor/status/1395482124585738242)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Who do we fancy for the 500?
    I think anyone betting outside of Dixon or Herta will be brave those two are on top form, Honda powered cars still have an edge I'd surprised if a Chevy won it despite myself rooting for Rinus and Pato

Race day is always different versus qualifying, weather can always have a big impact on the race day, watch Carb day to get a better feel who may be in contention

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

If Honda have an edge than Sato and Rahal will also be in the mix.

Qualifying was odd in that the 4+1 Penske Chevys were in mix until qualifying, in race trim and in traffic I expect them to be a threat - write off Penske at your peril.

Of the 33 starters there is a strong argument for at least half of the field to win - TK could be a good outside bet for a popular win !

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I honestly think Ed Carpenter has a great chance. That car looks rapid

• Advertisement

Infoanon wrote: »
    If Honda have an edge than Sato and Rahal will also be in the mix.

Qualifying was odd in that the 4+1 Penske Chevys were in mix until qualifying, in race trim and in traffic I expect them to be a threat - write off Penske at your peril.

Of the 33 starters there is a strong argument for at least half of the field to win - TK could be a good outside bet for a popular win !
    Statistics will be writing off the Penske cars, only once since WWII has someone won the Indy 500 starting outside the top 20 and only McLaughlin a rookie at 17th is in that range

With 2 previous Indy 500 winners and a two time Indycar champion who is due an Indy 500 win then you can't absolutely rule Penske out however every year at Indy when multiple cars from the same team don't qualify well with evident setup issues that team usually fails to overcome that on race day

Indy's wet.

Carb Day on hold until the window over Terre Haute gets here and allows the place to be dried.

What is Carb day intended to be...or where does the name come from?

It's a relic from the older days when they'd need to tune the engine carburetors before the race, especially since it could have been two and a half weeks since the car was qualified!

Nowadays it's just the final practice session before the race, run with the race engines, to make sure everything is set up properly, practice some hot pit stops (as well as pitting off of 4 rather than the backstretch), get some race stint runs in weather conditions that should be similar to race day itself.

Anyway, the two hour session finally started at 6:35; 75 minutes left, still live on SSF1!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Also means that they (used to) let the cars run as fast as they can ...without restrictors or at least loosening (widening) of the restrictor plates on turbo intakes so that the engines could run with maximum power.

With the grid line out sorted, they didn't need to run any more Quali laps, they used to to show off Average Top speeds and grab headlines in the week before the race. Probably to sell more tickets for race day.

Its been clamped down on in recent years because of all the accidents and cars getting too fast >233-237 MPH average laps. Possibly pushing 240!!!!:eek:

INDY 500 RACE DAY

Fifteen minutes to pre-race coverage on Sky F1.

Two hours to race coverage on either Main Event or F1.

Green flag at around 5:45

Jesus I almost forgot. Just got home after wasting a Sunday with a hungover mate. :o

Not gonna lie, seeing 140-odd thousand people in one place live is getting me a bit emotional.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 37,536 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Not gonna lie, seeing 140-odd thousand people in one place live is getting me a bit emotional.

It's a place I have to go. Gotta get there for the 500 sometime soon.

Great to see all the fans there.

I'm finding it hard to see Dixon being beaten but I'm shouting for Rossi.

Crikey, crashing on pit lane is a new one.
    Huge bonus for those that pitted early.

• Advertisement

Can never get my head around commentators being so clueless. Saying it'll help the cars who had stayed out. Eh no, it won't. And the ones who just got in just as the flag came out should get a jump up the field as well.

Dixon's car ran out of fuel due to the accident on pit road. He got yo his pit but his car won't refire.
    He's going to lose at least a lap.

Can never get my head around commentators being so clueless. Saying it'll help the cars who had stayed out. Eh no, it won't. And the ones who just got in just as the flag came out should get a jump up the field as well.
    It would have helped if they didn't run out of fuel. They'd have a huge fuel mileage advantage.

Both Dixon and Rossi's race ruined by Wilson crashing. It'd be tough to get back to the front for Dixon.

eagle eye wrote: »
    It would have helped if they didn't run out of fuel. They'd have a huge fuel mileage advantage.

Aye but it was obvious 3/4 laps into the window that at least some of them were going to struggle without a splash and go.

It's a while since I watched properly, what's the story with people getting their lap back under caution now? Is it only if they're at the head of the field?

It's a while since I watched properly, what's the story with people getting their lap back under caution now? Is it only if they're at the head of the field?
    No free lap back, you have to make it back.
    It'll be something like an early pit stop and hope for a yellow.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I knew those Carpenter cars were quick. Both of them look very comfortable and Ed did as well before the slow pitstop.

For any of you who don't know, Conor Daly is the son of Derek Daly. Derek drove F1 back in the day, once led the Monaco grand prix with two laps to go before his gearbox went. Derek is from Dublin.

I missed the first 40 laps but this is turning out to be a cracking race

• Advertisement

Well imo it's the greatest motosports race, flat out all the way.

Advertisement