Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Necrus Revisited (Part Three) REVEAL Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

In 2nd place with 15 points

Electric Nitwit

The Cardigans – My Favourite Game

There was very little between this and the eventual winner if I’m honest, if anything The Cardigans probably lost out due to over-familiarity. Banger of a track this one, really enjoyed it.

So it's Barna and LeVar who remain...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Necro wrote: »
    So it's Barna and LeVar who remain...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,554 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

In 4th place with 13 points

Cee_jay

Paradise By The Dashboard Lights – Meatloaf

Unlike another entrant here (cough Trigger cough) I actually quite like Meatloaf. This is a great track, a little bit long but that’s typical for Meatloaf tbf. Objects In The RearView Mirror may very well have topped this category mind….

tenor.gif

Trigger wrote: »
    tenor.gif

200.gif

tenor.gif

In 16th place with 1 point

Barna77

Interstate Kyle - Lake Shore Drive

I did say I liked *most* of the entries into this category…. :pac: I jest, I jest. I didn’t mind this… initially this was actually doing quite well but…. on relistens it began to plummet unfortunately. Typical American jingly jangly ‘join the interstate’ fare. Just wasn’t gone on it as a driving song at all.

In fairness to Meatloaf, you only need to listen to one song for the trip from Sligo to Dublin..

****in things are that long

MEANING

In 1st place with 16 points

LeVar

Florida Georgia Line ft. Nelly - Cruise (Remix)

Perfect fit for this category, with added bonus of country :D This would have fitted in the summer category as well, I wonder how your actual entry will fare because this is very likely top 3 there… before I did preference listens of course. Deserving winner and a perfect track for cruising to in good weather, like today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Niceee LeVar, that's a great choice.. definitely a driving track

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

tenor.gif

You love it really :P

cee_jay wrote: »
    You love it really :P

God, I really don't

MEANING

In 1st place with 16 points

LeVar

Florida Georgia Line ft. Nelly - Cruise (Remix)

Perfect fit for this category, with added bonus of country :D This would have fitted in the summer category as well, I wonder how your actual entry will fare because this is very likely top 3 there… before I did preference listens of course. Deserving winner and a perfect track for cruising to in good weather, like today!

Great choice! Well deserving of top spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Whenever I'm back on Lakeshore Drive I'll be blasting More than a Feeling, which was my first choice... :pac:

Some interesting changes to the table after that round....

Let's take a looksee...

Position Name Song Score
    1st Also Starring LeVar Burton Florida Georgia Line ft. Nelly - Cruise (Remix) 16
    2nd Electric Nitwit My Favourite Game - The Cardigans 15
    3rd the purple tin Chuck Berry - No Particular Place To Go 14
    4th cee_jay Paradise By The Dashboard Lights - Meatloaf 13
    5th Sawduck Asia - Heat Of The Moment 12
    6th JP Liz V1 Badlands - Bruce Springsteen 11
    7th Homer J. Fong The War on Drugs - Red Eyes 10
    8th ari101 The Killers - Human 9
    9th Trigger More than a feeling - Boston 8
    10th fixXxer Metallica - Fuel 7
    11th Deja Boo The Marshall Tucker Band - Can't You See 6
    12th Kolido Cyndi Lauper - I Drove All Night 5
    13th ShaneU The Edgar Winter Group - Free Ride 4
    14th Necrina Pink - Just Give Me A Reason 3
    15th Irish Aris Garbage-Cherry Lips 2
    16th Barna77 Interstate Kyle - Lake Shore Drive 1

Name Improved by Video Video Game Music Song from a genre not usually listened to Song from a Musical 90s Round TV Themes Driving Miss Walrus Scene Music In My Hometown Summer Choons Total
    Deja Boo 12 3 11 7 2 1 6 42
    Also Starring LeVar Burton 8 10 12 15 6 7 16 74
    Kolido 15 2 1 10 16 9 5 58
    ShaneU 16 14 14 2 12 16 4 78
    the purple tin 10 1 3 1 9 4 13 41
    Homer J. Fong 5 16 2 4 5 12 10 54
    Necrina 14 11 6 5 10 15 3 64
    JP Liz V1 12 15 5 12 3 2 11 60
    Sawduck 4 5 7 8 4 5 12 45
    cee_jay 13 13 4 14 11 11 14 80
    ari101 9 6 16 13 14 13 9 80
    Barna77 2 9 10 3 13 8 1 46
    Irish Aris 7 7 8 9 7 6 2 46
    Trigger 11 12 9 6 15 10 8 71
    fixXxer 3 4 15 11 1 3 7 44
    Electric Nitwit 6 8 13 16 8 14 15 80

It's a traffic jam (hehe, driving round joke) at the top as Shane gets usurped by not one, not two - but THREE players who all join in the hunt for the win on 80 points each

EN, cee_jay and ari now lead the way, but this far from over with Shane only two points behind and LeVar and Trigger within striking distance of the top as well.

Down the bottom, the purple tin's big score here has closed the gap in the spoon race, he's only one point behind Deja Boo now...

Three rounds to go, next up

SCENE MUSIC!!

Gonna do that category solo as it's definitely worth watching the songs alongside the scenes for each to see whether you agree/disagree with my choices tomorrow.

Kicking off from 9pm with this one... then we will have our grand finale finish with a double round reveal probably Tuesday, but maybe later depending on other goings on in the forum...

• Advertisement

Just took some lovely Halloumi Fries out of the oven at the same time Necro posted the #1 spot...

They taste like victory... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Was expecting to not still be doing so well over all :pac:

If I was submitting now rather than back then it would be either of these:

Keeps coming in the radio when I'm in the car and I can't help bopping along.

Not an Ed fan but might have been blasting it up the motorway when this was on the radio, the rhythm is great :D

Maybe I'm better off sticking with The Killers :D

So this was a new one for me. I really enjoyed making songs fit into the scenes provided by the fabulous Reberetta in their walrus previously so was looking forward to judging this round a lot.

Here’s what I would have used for each scene…

Star Wars

Saving Private Ryan

I personally thought the Star Wars scene was more difficult to get something to fit correctly, I’m not even that happy with my own but how did y’all fare?

Find out tomorrow from 9pm!!

#doomed

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

ari101 wrote: »
    #doomed

Same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,496 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

ari101 wrote: »
    #doomed

Barna77 wrote: »
    Same

Yep same :o

So this was a new one for me. I really enjoyed making songs fit into the scenes provided by the fabulous Reberetta in their walrus previously so was looking forward to judging this round a lot.

Here’s what I would have used for each scene…

Star Wars

Saving Private Ryan

I personally thought the Star Wars scene was more difficult to get something to fit correctly, I’m not even that happy with my own but how did y’all fare?

Find out tomorrow from 9pm!!

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952d423003d6615ddc68482477954d8f1040221a764&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I will definitely be in competition for the spoon, not feeling confident for any of my remaining selections.

giphy.gif

I was pretty satisfied with my scene music pick, considering I was completely stumped by that round at first.....but I haven't seen either movie, so it may have been extremely ill-fitting with the rest of the film and I'd be none the wiser!

Also Necro might simply hate it, but that's his problem. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,496 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

From tonight's selections I must rewatch Ally McBeal and Angel

I was pretty satisfied with my scene music pick, considering I was completely stumped by that round at first.....but I haven't seen either movie, so it may have been extremely ill-fitting with the rest of the film and I'd be none the wiser!

Also Necro might simply hate it, but that's his problem. :p

Well... what I will say in respect of the round is that I scored the song out of 10 and then how it fitted the scene (in my own opinion of course) out of 10 as well.

So if I don't like the song but it fitted the scene it still could do very well in this round.

]

It's a traffic jam (hehe, driving round joke) at the top as Shane gets usurped by not one, not two - but THREE players who all join in the hunt for the win on 80 points each

EN, cee_jay and ari now lead the way, but this far from over with Shane only two points behind and LeVar and Trigger within striking distance of the top as well.

Down the bottom, the purple tin's big score here has closed the gap in the spoon race, he's only one point behind Deja Boo now...

Three rounds to go, next up

SCENE MUSIC!!

Gonna do that category solo as it's definitely worth watching the songs alongside the scenes for each to see whether you agree/disagree with my choices tomorrow.

Kicking off from 9pm with this one... then we will have our grand finale finish with a double round reveal probably Tuesday, but maybe later depending on other goings on in the forum...

I have reached my peak. It is all downhill from here!
    I apologize to all Star Wars fans in advance :pac:

Well... what I will say in respect of the round is that I scored the song out of 10 and then how it fitted the scene (in my own opinion of course) out of 10 as well.

So if I don't like the song but it fitted the scene it still could do very well in this round.

giphy.gif

:pac::pac::pac:

Necro, please pretend the lyrics are about the Nazi's gunning down the Americans and not about a marriage break up (I works if you really put your mind to it)

tenor.gif

• Advertisement

Haha! My notes on this next round are probably the most extensive I've ever done for a Walrus round, to hopefully give y'all an insight into how I felt each one delivered... or didn't. :pac:

Necro, please pretend the lyrics are about the Nazi's gunning down the Americans and not about a marriage break up (I works if you really put your mind to it)

tenor.gif

Necro if it helps, for mine, please forget all about "Eurovision" and just think "Invasion in Europe"... there's a lot of the same letters in both, so it shouldn't be too hard... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

In 3rd place with 14 points, Electric Nitwit
    Riverboat Song - Ocean Colour Scene (TFI Friday)
    In 2nd place with 15 points, Electric Nitwit
    The Cardigans – My Favourite Game

Quite the one two tonight, take that Shane :p

5bix4e.gif

Whoa whoa whoa, you said nothing about rating the song on its own merits! I've gone an picked another damn instrumental :o

Incidentally, is there an easy way to overlay a song onto a video? I tried to pick one that fit but had to mess around with music on the speakers and the scene on the tele, I suspect I was being a luddite

Starting to think Necro just hates Deja Boo...

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

giphy.gif
    :D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Haha! My notes on this next round are probably the most extensive I've ever done for a Walrus round, to hopefully give y'all an insight into how I felt each one delivered... or didn't. :pac:

3213.gif

Hey Deja...

ScholarlyHarshAmericanlobster-max-1mb.gif

:D

I went Star Wars too and after trying about 20 wide ranging songs I finally shoehorned something in there! :pac: oh well, I'll come to share in the collective misery tonight regardless ;)

• Advertisement

Hey Deja...

ScholarlyHarshAmericanlobster-max-1mb.gif

:D

Wait, where did the madness go? I loved the madness, it was like a novel!

Wait, where did the madness go? I loved the madness, it was like a novel!

I'm with EN, that was a great post - totally conveyed the joyous turmoil of Walrus :D

Alright folks, we ready for Round 8? Just getting a few things sorted and should be underway by 9pm...

In 13th place with 4 points

Irish Aris

Rammstein - Links 2 3 4 (Saving Private Ryan)

Some nice syncing at the start and builds up to the wheel release of the boat nicely. A bit quiet though when the massacre begins. Again the underwater part works well. The journey to shore in line with the drum beats is really cool. Love the track by the way, a solid 7 for the track. Cuts off short though unfortunately so I’m gonna give it a synchronicity rating of 4 outta 10.

In 12th place with 5 points

The purple tin

Buddy Holly and The Crickets - That'll Be The Day (Saving Private Ryan from 1.52 onwards)

Ok so we start at the wheel turn on the ship here, cool beans. I do like how the start syncs there… It’s a bit too cheerful of a track no? I REALLY like the song but I’m not seeing the synchronicity bar the start really. 8 for the song. I can only give the syncing 3.5 at best though, even with a later start it finishes mid scene and just doesn’t really fit properly unfortunately.

In 11th place with 6 points

Deleted User

Bat for Lashes - The Big Sleep (Saving Private Ryan play at 2.50)

Ok skipping the build up, no issues there if you’ve got something that fits… I’m not enamoured with the track BUT it does capture the absolute devastation unfolding as they try to storm the beach. I feel like this really works especially the way it syncs up with Tom Hanks character surveying the carnage. 7 for the synchronicity, it just works for me really really well. Sadly, it’s only a 4 and a bit for the song.

• Advertisement

In 10th place with 7 points

Sawduck

Manowar - Warriors of the world (Saving Private Ryan)

Some nice beats for the ship travelling in. Ramps that tension up nicely. Wheel release is a bit off, though the dive off the side is almost perfectly synced with the ‘Warriors, Warriors of the World’. Tom Hanks’ buddy being shot also syncs well with the second chorus. The spoken bit into the chorus where it all starts kicking off on the beach is perfect, the landmine taking one soldier’s leg off again in perfect harmony. Overall it’s good. Runtime nearly perfect too. Song is a solid 6 and the sympatico in parts earns it a shade under 6 points there. Nice choice.

In 9th place with 8 points

Ari101

Vivaldi's Four Seasons - Winter, F Minor (Anakin VS Obi Wan)

Start is great, the scratching of the violin accentuating the choke and the shedding of the robes. Liking the syncing of the lightsabers with the music too, this was a part I had trouble with. The second half is a bit disjointed though – it does come back a bit for the twirly sabers part which is kinda cool and also the force battle. Finishes a little prematurely as well. Gonna give 6 for both song and video here.

In case anyone is keeping score, yes that's our first Anakin VS Obi Wan scene.

In total there were 9 selections for the Private Ryan scene and 7 for the Star Wars fight. Just shy of an even split tbf.

In 11th place with 6 points

Deleted User

Bat for Lashes - The Big Sleep (Saving Private Ryan play at 2.50)

Ok skipping the build up, no issues there if you’ve got something that fits… I’m not enamoured with the track BUT it does capture the absolute devastation unfolding as they try to storm the beach. I feel like this really works especially the way it syncs up with Tom Hanks character surveying the carnage. 7 for the synchronicity, it just works for me really really well. Sadly, it’s only a 4 and a bit for the song.

Pfft, philistine! :P

Happy enough I fulfilled the synchronicity brief though, considering how flummoxed I was by this at first. I was quite proud of getting the lyric "it's curtains down time" to sync up with yer man falling down and dying around the 3:30 mark. :pac:

In 8th place with 9 points

Electric Nitwit

Set Guitars To Kill - And So I Watch You From Afar (Saving Private Ryan)

Love the start, the drums and menacing guitar sounds. Bit disjointed as the shooting commences. Problem I’m having is that aren’t many tonal shifts which make it hard to sync up a bit. Overall it does a good job of capturing the chaos mind, especially when we shift onto the beach. 7 for the video I think is fair here, 5 and a bit for the song.

In 7th place with 10 points

Trigger

Rag'N'Bone Man - Hard Came The Rain (Saving Private Ryan)

Very strong opening. Love the build up on the boat heading to the beach. The wheel release is almost perfect, especially the line ‘Watch the blood run out of your veins’. Yeah it’s a very good choice. I think Human by the same artist might have worked really well here as well but… would have had a similar problem with runtime which loses a few points for it. 6 for the track, 7 for the video.

• Advertisement
Advertisement