Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Necrus Revisited (Part Three) REVEAL Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Wait, where did the madness go? I loved the madness, it was like a novel!

I'm with EN, that was a great post - totally conveyed the joyous turmoil of Walrus :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Alright folks, we ready for Round 8? Just getting a few things sorted and should be underway by 9pm...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

In 13th place with 4 points

Irish Aris

Rammstein - Links 2 3 4 (Saving Private Ryan)

Some nice syncing at the start and builds up to the wheel release of the boat nicely. A bit quiet though when the massacre begins. Again the underwater part works well. The journey to shore in line with the drum beats is really cool. Love the track by the way, a solid 7 for the track. Cuts off short though unfortunately so I’m gonna give it a synchronicity rating of 4 outta 10.

In 12th place with 5 points

The purple tin

Buddy Holly and The Crickets - That'll Be The Day (Saving Private Ryan from 1.52 onwards)

Ok so we start at the wheel turn on the ship here, cool beans. I do like how the start syncs there… It’s a bit too cheerful of a track no? I REALLY like the song but I’m not seeing the synchronicity bar the start really. 8 for the song. I can only give the syncing 3.5 at best though, even with a later start it finishes mid scene and just doesn’t really fit properly unfortunately.

In 11th place with 6 points

Homer J. Fong

Bat for Lashes - The Big Sleep (Saving Private Ryan play at 2.50)

Ok skipping the build up, no issues there if you’ve got something that fits… I’m not enamoured with the track BUT it does capture the absolute devastation unfolding as they try to storm the beach. I feel like this really works especially the way it syncs up with Tom Hanks character surveying the carnage. 7 for the synchronicity, it just works for me really really well. Sadly, it’s only a 4 and a bit for the song.

• Advertisement

In 10th place with 7 points

Sawduck

Manowar - Warriors of the world (Saving Private Ryan)

Some nice beats for the ship travelling in. Ramps that tension up nicely. Wheel release is a bit off, though the dive off the side is almost perfectly synced with the ‘Warriors, Warriors of the World’. Tom Hanks’ buddy being shot also syncs well with the second chorus. The spoken bit into the chorus where it all starts kicking off on the beach is perfect, the landmine taking one soldier’s leg off again in perfect harmony. Overall it’s good. Runtime nearly perfect too. Song is a solid 6 and the sympatico in parts earns it a shade under 6 points there. Nice choice.

In 9th place with 8 points

Ari101

Vivaldi's Four Seasons - Winter, F Minor (Anakin VS Obi Wan)

Start is great, the scratching of the violin accentuating the choke and the shedding of the robes. Liking the syncing of the lightsabers with the music too, this was a part I had trouble with. The second half is a bit disjointed though – it does come back a bit for the twirly sabers part which is kinda cool and also the force battle. Finishes a little prematurely as well. Gonna give 6 for both song and video here.

In case anyone is keeping score, yes that's our first Anakin VS Obi Wan scene.

In total there were 9 selections for the Private Ryan scene and 7 for the Star Wars fight. Just shy of an even split tbf.

Necro wrote: »
    In 11th place with 6 points

Homer J. Fong

Bat for Lashes - The Big Sleep (Saving Private Ryan play at 2.50)

Ok skipping the build up, no issues there if you’ve got something that fits… I’m not enamoured with the track BUT it does capture the absolute devastation unfolding as they try to storm the beach. I feel like this really works especially the way it syncs up with Tom Hanks character surveying the carnage. 7 for the synchronicity, it just works for me really really well. Sadly, it’s only a 4 and a bit for the song.

Pfft, philistine! :P

Happy enough I fulfilled the synchronicity brief though, considering how flummoxed I was by this at first. I was quite proud of getting the lyric "it's curtains down time" to sync up with yer man falling down and dying around the 3:30 mark. :pac:

In 8th place with 9 points

Electric Nitwit

Set Guitars To Kill - And So I Watch You From Afar (Saving Private Ryan)

Love the start, the drums and menacing guitar sounds. Bit disjointed as the shooting commences. Problem I’m having is that aren’t many tonal shifts which make it hard to sync up a bit. Overall it does a good job of capturing the chaos mind, especially when we shift onto the beach. 7 for the video I think is fair here, 5 and a bit for the song.

In 7th place with 10 points

Trigger

Rag'N'Bone Man - Hard Came The Rain (Saving Private Ryan)

Very strong opening. Love the build up on the boat heading to the beach. The wheel release is almost perfect, especially the line ‘Watch the blood run out of your veins’. Yeah it’s a very good choice. I think Human by the same artist might have worked really well here as well but… would have had a similar problem with runtime which loses a few points for it. 6 for the track, 7 for the video.

• Advertisement

In 6th place with 11 points

JP Liz V1

The Band Perry - If I Die Young (Saving Private Ryan)

Not sure there’s a whole pile of synchronicity between the video and song here BUT the overall theme of the song is pretty much bang on. The ship coming into the beach with this playing is just incredibly poignant and it works on a different level than other entries.. a tear or two may have been shed when that chorus hits and knowing what the lads are about to face... :(

Anyways, 8.5 for the song, 5 for the video. Good choice.

In 5th place with 12 points

Necrina

Taylor Swift - Bad Blood (Anakin VS Obi Wan)

Ok the start works here with the video intro. Again the yapping between the two lads throws off most songs so not really bothered about that. Would have liked if the fight started on the beginning of a chorus but ho hum… The second part of the video is almost perfect tbf, kicking off from Obi Wan’s downward thrust which is in perfect timing with the song. Love the line ‘bandaids don’t fix bullet holes’ – fits nicely too. Force fight synced too. Yeah this is very good. 7.5 for the song, 6 for the video. Interestingly I discovered this by accident when I was doing the write-ups…

Tbh, I prefer the TayTay version!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I swear I'm destined to be in the 6-10 places ever time :pac:

Trigger wrote: »
    I swear I'm destined to be in the 6-10 places ever time :pac:

If the song had been a little bit longer it was gonna be much higher, the lyrics fitted excellently imo despite your own worries about that!

In 4th place with 13 points

fixXxer

Carmina Burana - O Fortuna (Obi Wan VS Anakin)

Great choice of music straight off the bat. The powerful chorus kicking in for the start of the lightsaber fight is as good as you’re gonna get here given the two lads yapping. Dies slightly in the middle but the spinning sabers and force pushes are right on sync. Love the song, love the video. 7 for each!!

And now, we come to our remaining 6 contestants…

Cee_jay

Barna77

Kolido

ShaneU

Deja Boo

And…

Also Starring LeVar Burton

Just two rounds left after this, coming to a crucial point where every single point gained is vital…

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

If the song had been a little bit longer it was gonna be much higher, the lyrics fitted excellently imo despite your own worries about that!

Nah I knew the lyrics fitted it was why I chose it.. was also why I said in the Pm you would need to start it a bit in so you could time the big change in tempo with the shots coming in.. man I wish it was longer :pac:

I do really love that song. He also has some lovely tracks that wouldn't be as well known as Skin and Human

In 14th place with 3 points

Kolido

Beastie Boys fight for your right (Anakin VS Obi Wan)

First part doesn’t really make sense but is kinda funny. The song is badass. I mean I sort of get the point about the whole ‘Fight’ being included in the title but I don’t think it works. There’s too much yapping from the lads which takes the first chorus out of it completely. Second one is a good sync up mind with the start of the lightsaber duel. There’s some flashes of where it fits but overall it’s just a no from me sadly. 8 for the song. But a meagre 2.5 points for the video. Sorry!

In 3rd place with 14 points

Barna77

All Saints – Pure Shores (Saving Private Ryan)

This is a song that has no real right to work with this scene due to it being rather upbeat but the combination is rather delicious. The lyrics sync up rather prophetically in places and then we have the chorus smashing down as the outright carnage of the pillbox blasting the boat unfolds. It’s a tragic tale of one company’s determination to reach the beach (out of reeeeach). Marvelous selection. Just brilliant. 7 for the song, a big fat 8 points for the video syncing.

• Advertisement

giphy.gif

In 15th place with 2 points

Deja Boo

Carl Douglas - Kung Fu Fighting (Anakin VS Obi Wan)

Oh no… no no this doesn’t work at all. I mean there’s a lovely spot where Obi Wan shrugs off his robe at the beginning where I was thinking this might work… but no it just doesn’t work for me and it’s just a shame. Most of the good part of the track is over before the lightsabre fight kicks off. It’s ok from there but there’s no real syncing apart from that robe moment I mentioned before. 6 for the song, 2 for the video.

In 2nd place with 15 points

LeVar

Bill Whelan - Riverdance (Saving Private Ryan)

I had some laugh when this came through but do you know what, it absolutely works.

From the sombre build up to the releasing of the wheel and the lads dropping like flies in unison with bullets flying, to the synchronised diving off the boat and jigs underwater – then it picks up and the lads are dancing up towards the beach.

There’s even a shot of a lad who looks absolutely exhausted from Irish dancing (ok he’s dead… same difference right?)

Even the explosions and lads flailing around on the beach match up. It’s just perfect even up to the crescendo where Hanks puts on his hat and gets ready to join in on the ceili session, er I mean the fighting... :pac::pac:

Great choice, loved it. There’s something new to pick out every time you rewatch it as well which is what I love… so difficult not to give this top spot… but I couldn’t on balance… so close though.

NINE for the video, 7 for the song.

giphy.gif

So we have cee_jay and ShaneU remaining...

BOTH submitted an entry to accompany the Star Wars battle....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

ShaneU wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Believe me. You have this in the bag :pac:

In 16th place with 1 point

Cee_jay

Beyonce - Run The World (Girls) (Obi Wan VS Anakin)

Start kind of works well… but the rest is just a massive mess. Doesn’t work for me unfortunately. I like the song so it gets a 5 but I can only give the video a 1…
    Tbf I think from their comments the entrant expected this so I'm glad to confirm it :D

And in FIRST Place with 16 points

ShaneU

Justice - Genesis (Anakin VS Obi Wan)

I don’t know how you managed to stumble across this but it’s just bang on. Everything is almost perfect.

From the beginning with the foreboding start to the build up even with the yapping.

Then we have the electro sounds beeping off the music to give us our lightsaber effects.

Battle in sync with the music, the music ramping up as the camera pans to the hate filled face of Anakin.

Then another tonal shift and we get our force push. I wasn’t sure if it could be done but this absolutely NAILED it.

Brilliant entry, absolutely fantastic. 8 for the track, TEN for the video. Near perfection.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

In 16th place with 1 point

Cee_jay

Start kind of works well… but the rest is just a massive mess. Doesn’t work for me unfortunately. I like the song so it gets a 5 but I can only give the video a 1…
    Tbf I think from their comments the entrant expected this so I'm glad to confirm it :D

Completely deserved! I just gave up in my search tbh. I haven't seen either movie, and this one started somewhat well and it was the right length. Thats about it :O

Advertisement