Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friends Reunion [HBO Max]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,486 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I just want to give matthew perry a big hug :o:o:o

He seemed very reserved and nervous, very un Chandler Bing
    like :(

He dated Julia Robert's that's why she was a guest star, Jen kinda hinted it at him, she also mentioned "Pitt" as a guest star

I would have liked to have heard from guest stars like Paul Rudd, Hank Azaria, Elle McPherson, Helen Baxendale and Adam Goldberg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Wasn't sure if I'd like this or not, I was worried the majority would just be them on the couch doing the Q&A with Corden, which aside from the story about Schwimmer hating Marcel was all a bit meh. Didn't care for the random celebs who had nothing to do with the show.

But I did really love all the stuff with just them meeting up in the studio and hanging out on the sets reminiscing, doing the table reads, watching the bloopers. Same goes for the talking heads with the producers. I also really liked the video package with the fans from around the world.

Overall, the bits I really liked outweighed the parts I was less keen on, and it was far better than I thought it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I don't think Friends was the funniest sitcom of all time, but in terms of connection with it's audience, and people being emotionally invested with the characters, it may be the best.

I think people really cared about the characters and they seemed almost real.

Also in terms of being part of the cultural zeitgeist, it was very influential. I can only name The Simpsons as being on a similar level.
    It was from an era of huge tv viewership and less content. Just before Internet came along.
    It defined the 90s in a way.

I remember some guys copying Chandler's humour and the way he nods his head while smiling.

The way Monica says "I know!" was copied a lot also. Obviously Rachel's hairstyle was huge. Also her tartan pants became fashionable.

As a teenager I really looked forward to watching it and it was the talk of school the day after.

The reunion was good in parts and other parts not so much.

It's difficult to ascertain if they really are great friends away from the show or is it just put on. It seemed a bit heavy handed when they talked about their connection.
    If I'd to guess, they all went their separate ways when the show ended but they retain a bond/connection and still keep in touch. Possibly the girls hangout a bit more than the fellas.

I agree that Matt Leblanc looks very relaxed and natural in front of the camera and on stage.

Courtney and Jennifer have wider mouths as the facelift stretches the skin from behind. Hollywood is cruel on aging women.

Matthew Perry seemed a bit burnt out. Opioid addiction is a terrible affliction, can really impact ones ability to enjoy life as it hijacks your brains reward system. It's possible he's on Methadone or Suboxone also.

Overall I think they handled their level of fame quite well. They went from struggling actors to global stars almost overnight. They seem to be pretty decent people still.

Maybe the best gig is being a show creator as you make more money and retain anonymity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

I would have loved to have heard more from the creators.

Like how Craig Bierko was originally offered the part of Chandler but turned it down or how Elizabeth Berkley was nearly Rachel.

Or what kind of storylines got scrapped.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'd be a friends fan, but I actually thought it was mostly shyte.

Why HBO thought they needed to pad it out with people from contemporary pop culture I do not know. It was always going to get an audience of zillions. Absolutely everyone who appeared on this reunion should have had a connection to the show and that didn't include Bieber, Gaga, Cara Delevigne, Beckham and certainly not that insufferable C Corden. If they'd dispensed with all of that it could have been a hard 90 minutes.

They should have just let them talk on set with the three showrunners with a few cameos like Maggie Wheeler and Tom Selleck and a few tribute inserts. If they needed a host to guide it along, Paul Rudd or Aisha Taylor would've been ideal. Their love of the work and each other was all the reunion actually needed to show and the poignancy was diluted by some of the stupid antics.

Paul Rudd would have been a good host actually. The man that time forgot.

I think they were planning this to be mostly Corden’s interviews but they got more footage backstage and wisely used more of that. Not all of his part was bad, Lisa acting like Phoebe with the bug, the “parents”, even Janice. The fashion show was meh. Bieber?

The reminiscing was the best part.

Interesting though how memory works. David Schwimmer forgot he was throwing a nerf ball for a whole episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'd be a friends fan, but I actually thought it was mostly shyte.

Why HBO thought they needed to pad it out with people from contemporary pop culture I do not know. It was always going to get an audience of zillions. Absolutely everyone who appeared on this reunion should have had a connection to the show and that didn't include Bieber, Gaga, Cara Delevigne, Beckham and certainly not that insufferable C Corden. If they'd dispensed with all of that it could have been a hard 90 minutes.

They should have just let them talk on set with the three showrunners with a few cameos like Maggie Wheeler and Tom Selleck and a few tribute inserts. If they needed a host to guide it along, Paul Rudd or Aisha Taylor would've been ideal. Their love of the work and each other was all the reunion actually needed to show and the poignancy was diluted by some of the stupid antics.

Paul Rudd was asked to be a part of it but I read somewhere the reason he couldn’t take part was because he’s part of a Covid bubble for a new film, one of the marvel ones I think, so couldn’t travel.

I agree though he would’ve been a great host!

Also agree with the random cameos - completely pointless and I wondered was it a way to engage a younger audience who only started watching Friends when it was added to Netflix.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Did ugly naked guy die, how did Ross get his apartment again?

No he didn’t die. They found out he was moving out and then Ross sent over the basket of mini muffins (the small one!!) as a bribe. It’s the same episode where Phoebe sees Chandler & Monica together from his apt window and her and Rachel keep screaming at Ross getting him to turn away from the window so he wouldn’t see them. And then everyone finds out.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

No he didn’t die. They found out he was moving out and then Ross sent over the basket of mini muffins (the small one!!) as a bribe. It’s the same episode where Phoebe sees Chandler & Monica together from his apt window and her and Rachel keep screaming at Ross getting him to turn away from the window so he wouldn’t see them. And then everyone finds out.

That scene will never fail to make me laugh. 'My eyes' and then when Rachel and Phoebe try to cover up Phoebe's screaming, by pretending to Ross that it's all so exciting that he might get the apartment, and get him jumping and screaming with them. :D

That scene will never fail to make me laugh. 'My eyes' and then when Rachel and Phoebe try to cover up Phoebe's screaming, by pretending to Ross that it's all so exciting that he might get the apartment, and get him jumping and screaming with them. :D

The table read of that scene was hilarious! Loved seeing them all crack up at Phoebe and then Ross shrieking at the end!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

The table read of that scene was hilarious! Loved seeing them all crack up at Phoebe and then Ross shrieking at the end!!

Haven't been able to watch yet, but I saw a brief trailer alright.

• Advertisement

Haven't been able to watch yet, but I saw a brief trailer alright.

Oh sorry! Should’ve added spoilers. Hope you get to watch it soon.

Oh yes the small muffins I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 60,413 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

China cut Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber and BTS from it when it was shown over there all three have in one form or another have upset the Chinese government

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭Christy42

China cut Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber and BTS from it when it was shown over there all three have in one form or another have upset the Chinese government

And suddenly I am all in favour of their inclusion.

Though in general I was worried about the celebrity line up small segments for it was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Just rewatching it.

I still can't get over that Matthew Perry is the youngest out of them.

• Site Banned Posts: 339 ✭✭guy2231

Lots of criticism of friends recently for not having any of the main characters be black or gay, what a wind up the worlds gone mad

guy2231 wrote: »
    Lots of criticism of friends recently for not having any of the main characters be black or gay, what a wind up the worlds gone mad

Ross's ex wife was gay and got married on the show, Carol featured quite a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Funnily enough, there was a lot of people on Reddit talking about what Perry said re: them keeping in touch. Apparently in the HBO release he said "I don't hear from anyone..", then there was laughter, then he said "No really, I don't.." and it was pretty awkward.

On the version I watched on Sky, I didn't hear him say the second line. They either cut it out, or I missed it.

• Site Banned Posts: 339 ✭✭guy2231

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Ross's ex wife was gay and got married on the show, Carol featured quite a lot

The friends cast seem to think it wasn't gay enough or black enough for the modern day.

Also Ross had a black girlfriend later in the series. Not a main character I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

py2006 wrote: »
    Also Ross had a black girlfriend later in the series. Not a main character I know.

She was Joeys girlfriend too!
    Ross had an Asian girlfriend in the first series.
    Had a transvestite. Had talk of a transsexual (a-man-da).
    Was Winona Ryder a lesbian? Or did she just fancy Rachel.
    It was a very white show. It was of its time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Funnily enough, there was a lot of people on Reddit talking about what Perry said re: them keeping in touch. Apparently in the HBO release he said "I don't hear from anyone..", then there was laughter, then he said "No really, I don't.." and it was pretty awkward.

On the version I watched on Sky, I didn't hear him say the second line. They either cut it out, or I missed it.

Yeah I watched the HBO version. Seeing the way he was cut out of the shots in later scenes in the apartment set something definitely seemed off between everyone and him a bit.

Oh sorry! Should’ve added spoilers. Hope you get to watch it soon.

Ah no, not at all. I have read a good bit about it, so I knew they did read some scenes. And the trailer showed 'my eyes' I'm so glad they picked that one. :D

Should be able to catch up soon, hopefully.

I think the girls do keep well in touch, they have appeared on each other's shows and in pics alot

Addle wrote: »
    She was Joeys girlfriend too!
    Ross had an Asian girlfriend in the first series.
    Had a transvestite. Had talk of a transsexual (a-man-da).
    Was Winona Ryder a lesbian? Or did she just fancy Rachel.
    It was a very white show. It was of its time.
    I don't get what's wrong with it being "an all white show", there is plenty of all black shows. I don't really care if a show has all white actors or all black actors as long as the show is good.

The reunion was great.. it was great seeing them a all together again.

David looks great for his age, Matt is looking good despite a little bit of weight gain and all the women look good for 50 somethings.

Matthew seems to have a few issues, he was very quiet the whole show.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,814 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Was reading this morning that the reason for his slurred speech was an “emergency dental appointment” earlier that day. :confused:

I think a lot of footage of him was edited out.

There is a sense of it being the other 4 plus Perry judging by their reactions and body language. May be not so much tension but an awareness of his ill health and hoping he keeps it together. May be I am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Screw Attack

Snore. You'd think they do a Seinfeld reunion instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

Snore. You'd think they do a Seinfeld reunion instead.

I'd say that'll be next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

I don't get what's wrong with it being "an all white show", there is plenty of all black shows. I don't really care if a show has all white actors or all black actors as long as the show is good.

The reunion was great.. it was great seeing them a all together again.

David looks great for his age, Matt is looking good despite a little bit of weight gain and all the women look good for 50 somethings.

Exactly, you had Fresh prince of bel air, Moesha, Sister Sister, Family matters, Kenan and Kel and My wife and kids in the 90s to name a few with very little white actors and I really enjoyed all those shows

Advertisement