Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

any idea of the price? deezell

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭the goon

deezell wrote: »

Ya. Have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭deezell

fryup wrote: »
    any idea of the price? deezell

4 grand South of the border.
    https://monaghanhire.com/products/weibang-wb81ec-b-e-rider-battery-ride-on-lawnmower

UK prices seem higher

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

See if you can do a deal with them I got about 10% off their advertised price on a new mower delivered.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tombrown

Recommendation needed

I have recently been working on my castelgarden Hydro 102 ride on mower, repairing & then replacing the drive belt; this requires tipping the mower upright (resting on the collection box arms) to get access to the underside. I normally have to enlist the help of my wife to do this - I take the most of the weight, but I need that little bit extra to get it fully upright. Now I've pulled something in my back :) ... it 's temporary only, but the missus is banning me from lifting it again, and says she wont help me next time I ask. She's probably right

So I am wondering if I can install some sort of (mains powered) winch into the joists in the garage ceiling. I foresee attaching the cable to the front bar and then winching from above & behind (with blocks on the back wheels) to get the thing upright.

Does this make sense? If so can any recommend a solution?

• Advertisement

Just bought this Oregon 42-086 Clip Lift, Hydraulic Maintenance Jack for Ride-on lawnmowers and Garden Tractors Expensive solution but works really well. Quite scary the first time using it but its all very solid and can recommend. You can get some cheaper ones that wind up on a screw thread.

Just bought this Oregon 42-086 Clip Lift, Hydraulic Maintenance Jack for Ride-on lawnmowers and Garden Tractors Expensive solution but works really well. Quite scary the first time using it but its all very solid and can recommend. You can get some cheaper ones that wind up on a screw thread.

That looks an idea, especially as I just looked at the workshop manual for the mower & it explicitly states you should not use winches or hoists to lift the mower.

The only think with your one is it lifts the mower on its side - the advantage of having it upright (on its hind legs, so to speak) is that I can work on it while standing up. That said this can work, albeit slightly less comfortable, and, if nothing else, it gives me another avenue to explore

Know what you mean and its quite funny really if you look at the pictures on the Amazon listing page. They have a picture of a snapper lawn rider up on that jack and that particular mower is designed to tip up at 90 degrees on its rear frame for maintenance.

There are far too many safety concerns with using a hoist. I wouldn't think twice about using one but it takes a bit of common sense, thought and care.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone know the width of the cut of this aldi mower

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

Any such treatment/product available to apply on underside of lawnmower deck to help prevent grass from drying to the deck.

Usually clean the deck after every cut,but can miss it on occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Anyone have any experience with this Lidl lawnmower? Is it worth a shot? Thanks!

SomeFool wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with this Lidl lawnmower? Is it worth a shot? Thanks!

I'm on my second. First is still running, about 6 years old and had a dogs life it lives outside under a table, still works but wheels are getting a bit wonky and its got a bit rusty, still starts first time. I use it for really rough work much like I've always done,

While in Brodericks t'other day getting parts, I spotted this newly introduced full size (21") power-driven Cobra cordless mower, it's a mighty looking mower in the large garden spectrum, 2 by 40v 5Ah batteries, claimed operating time of 90 minutes per charge. Rrp of €649 is comparable to same size quality brand petrol mowers, so it could be a game changer.

mx51s80v_red_left-angle.jpg

https://www.lawnmowerworld.ie/product/cobra-mx51s80v-battery-21-lawnmower/

If I recall correctly, you can slide a long reach large diameter screwdriver through one of the holes and catch it on chassis, enough to stop the engine turning, or slide a pry bar between the pulleys, into the space between the pulley hub and a bolt pushed through one on the holes, then just rotate the pulleys until the bar catches on the chassis.
    On one occasion in the past I popped the top engine circular grille cover and put a long socket bar on the top engine nut, turning until the bar was wedged against the frame. Happily the bottom nut opened first, but it might only loosen the top one. On another occasion a large vice grip on the hub between the pulleys tightened to the max so it wouldn't slip done the trick.
    Coming back to this question, maybe yourself or The Continental Op can answer for me.

I have an option to loan an impact wrench from the local garage, but the guy warned me that if the central bolt in the pulley is reverse threaded (left hand threaded) and I try to unscrew it the wrong way, as I would a regular bolt, then I would break it.

I am 90% sure this bolt is a regular/right hand thread - the workshop manual does not call it out as reverse thread (while it does for the bolt attaching one of the blades, for example), and looking the bolt up in the parts list & at online suppliers I can see no mention of it being a left hand/reverse thread. But I want to be totally sure, or I may regret it :)

As a reminder this is a Castelgarden TCR 102 Hydro (2005) ride on mower, and the bolt I am undoing is the central bolt on the main pulley.

Input appreciated

tombrown wrote: »
    Coming back to this question, maybe yourself or The Continental Op can answer for me.

I have an option to loan an impact wrench from the local garage, but the guy warned me that if the central bolt in the pulley is reverse threaded (left hand threaded) and I try to unscrew it the wrong way, as I would a regular bolt, then I would break it.

I am 90% sure this bolt is a regular/right hand thread - the workshop manual does not call it out as reverse thread (while it does for the bolt attaching one of the blades, for example), and looking the bolt up in the parts list & at online suppliers I can see no mention of it being a left hand/reverse thread. But I want to be totally sure, or I may regret it :)

As a reminder this is a Castelgarden TCR 102 Hydro (2005) ride on mower, and the bolt I am undoing is the central bolt on the main pulley.

Input appreciated

It's regular right hand. Engine rotates clockwise looking down, so shaft torque to the bolt is always tending to tighten.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kerdiff

Hi all, I'm looking for instruction to level the deck on my rideon lawnmower, if anyone can tell me how to do this it would be much appreciated, here is a side view of the deck, just wondering which nuts should I be loosening or tightening to make it level. Thanks in advance.

kerdiff wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm looking for instruction to level the deck on my rideon lawnmower, if anyone can tell me how to do this it would be much appreciated, here is a side view of the deck, just wondering which nuts should I be loosening or tightening to make it level. Thanks in advance.
    DO you know make & model?
    Looks just like my Castelgraden, but they are normally red, not yellow. I have the workshop manual that includes all instructions for mine - https://www.motoruf.de/mo/ersatzteillisten/pdf.php?file=GlobalGarden/Kundendiensthandbuch/102-122/Wsm102_EN_2006.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0O0ffTJ6woCCYQPhttOmg7

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭bamayang

In the back right of your image there is a vertical bolt, rotate that (should be another one on the far side) to raise the bed up or down at the back.

Likewise with long silver shaft on top left of your pick, loosening and rotating the nut on that will drop front of the deck down.

bamayang wrote: »
    In the back right of your image there is a vertical bolt, rotate that (should be another one on the far side) to raise the bed up or down at the back.

Likewise with long silver shaft on top left of your pick, loosening and rotating the nut on that will drop front of the deck down.

As well as being level side to side I think it needs to be 5-7mm higher at the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kerdiff

tombrown wrote:
    DO you know make & model? Looks just like my Castelgraden, but they are normally red, not yellow. I have the workshop manual that includes all instructions for mine -

tombrown wrote:
    DO you know make & model? Looks just like my Castelgraden, but they are normally red, not yellow. I have the workshop manual that includes all instructions for mine -

tombrown wrote:

I have a 2005 Stiga Estate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Has anyone seen Lidl lawnmower in shops? I tried two yesterday and no sign.

I have a 2005 Stiga Estate.
    I am pretty sure that is the same mower as mine just under a different brand name (Stiga own Castelgarden), so the manual I posted should be good

It's regular right hand. Engine rotates clockwise looking down, so shaft torque to the bolt is always tending to tighten.
    This mower is an unending saga (but I'm quiet enjoying it all the same).

I managed to remove the pulley & fit the drive belt; I removed the bolt using an impact wrench, but put it back on with just a regular socket wrench.

Anyway I successfully mowed the whole lawn yesterday, then, this morning, I started the engine & the pulley fell off :) I cant find the bolt, so assume it must have fallen out while I was mowing, and maybe the spin of the pulley kept it in place until I stopped it last night.

SO I need to replace the bolt - no big problem. But I am curious as to how it can have come off. As you said the spin of the pulley should serve to tighten rater than loose in. Is it just something as simple as it not being tight enough or does this point to damaged thread in the receiving socket (god forbid)

tombrown wrote: »
    This mower is an unending saga (but I'm quiet enjoying it all the same).

I managed to remove the pulley & fit the drive belt; I removed the bolt using an impact wrench, but put it back on with just a regular socket wrench.

Anyway I successfully mowed the whole lawn yesterday, then, this morning, I started the engine & the pulley fell off :) I cant find the bolt, so assume it must have fallen out while I was mowing, and maybe the spin of the pulley kept it in place until I stopped it last night.

SO I need to replace the bolt - no big problem. But I am curious as to how it can have come off. As you said the spin of the pulley should serve to tighten rater than loose in. Is it just something as simple as it not being tight enough or does this point to damaged thread in the receiving socket (god forbid)

Something similar, that was much easier to see what happened.

I'd just changed the clutch springs on a chainsaw. Probably not tightened the nut up to much. Wanted to test the clutch so didn't put the chain or cover back on. Went out side of the workshop and fired it up. Revved up a couple of times then switched off.

The momentum of the nut obviously kept it turning as it came off when when the engine stopped, the clutch drum dropped off and I can see it now shooting off up the drive.

I've had similar with stimmer heads.

Never like to over tighten stuff I'm going to remove again.

I just found the bolt !!! I remember stopping at one point yesterday to move a bench and the engine cut out, as usual, when I got off the seat. I thought the blades spun a bit longer than usual, but when everything was fine when I started back up I thought no more of it. Went to the that spot on the lawn just now - and there was the bolt, so maybe similar to your situation - I just didn't tighten it properly.

Thins is, I was over an hour cutting grass after I shed the bolt, some of it quite long & heavy, so its a wonder the pulley stayed in place all that time. I guess I better check I haven't damaged the belt again.

Probably one location where a bit of Threadlock would really do some good. Don't worry about using it as it is still quite easy to remove the nut or bolt afterwards but it does normally make them stay put.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭BullBauld

My sister was using ride on yesterday and hit a rock. Now the deck is sitting completely on the ground and the height setting lever is loose lime it's not attached to the deck.
    I can't where to reattach. Or is this a bigger problem?

Thanks

BullBauld wrote: »
      My sister was using ride on yesterday and hit a rock. Now the deck is sitting completely on the ground and the height setting lever is loose lime it's not attached to the deck.
      I can't where to reattach. Or is this a bigger problem?

Thanks

Depends on the mower make and model, but it often is two bowden cables fitted vertically at the back of the deck either side i'm guessing the rock lifted the deck up and over the hanging spigots on the end of the cables, which then popped out of their retention slots, leaving the deck unsuspended.

1. Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Small issue last night. Have Castelgarden XDC150HD, after cutting lawn using collector box, decided to fit mulching plug.
      However when testing after fitting blade won't engage and engine cuts out instead.
      Throttle was at normal operating speed.
      Handbrake was not on. (blade won't engage with handbrake on).
      Only have it since April, Used Mulching plug just once before, no issues.

2. Advertisement
    3. Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭deezell

Dohvolle wrote: »
      Small issue last night. Have Castelgarden XDC150HD, after cutting lawn using collector box, decided to fit mulching plug.
      However when testing after fitting blade won't engage and engine cuts out instead.
      Throttle was at normal operating speed.
      Handbrake was not on. (blade won't engage with handbrake on).
      Only have it since April, Used Mulching plug just once before, no issues.

There should be some part of the mulch plug handle or assembly that engages the grass bag interlock button switch, otherwise the mower will act like the grass bag is off and cut the engine when you try engaging the blade. That or you have to replace the bag after you've inserted the plug to achieve the same effect.

Advertisement