Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

YellowLead wrote: »
    I tuned into Graham as I can’t stand Marty....but ended up switching back to Marty! Graham seemed to be annoyed by the whole thing

I think BBC for the performances, then switch to RTE when the voting starts. Graham has more interesting comments on the performances but turns into one of those idiots talking about "block voting" when the voting begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

Enjoyablable read on here last night (even if I didn't get to post). Well done y'all!

Whether you like the winner or not, the singer absolutely nailed the vocals from what I could hear. He was absolutely comfortable out there, the staging wasn't 'forced'. There's a lesson in that for us tbh but are RTE even that bothered? I don't think so.

A polished performance by the Dutch public broadcaster too (4 presenters though, WTF?).
    The structure of the announcement of the votes works a charm - with the result up in the air 'til the very end - even if the revelation of the public vote ensures a very public annual humiliation for the UK(!).

Onwards to....Rome? Rock & roll never dies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Unless the guy has a "hands free" way of doing coke...

You can clearly see he has both his fists clenched and is shaking them while he's looking down.

Left finger sticking out pressing in his nostril

Sad day when a potential Eurovision winner like the UK`s entry is robbed because of the Brexit lashback. James should have finished in the top 5 at the very least.

On what planet was the UK entry a potential winner? You must have been watching a different show to the rest of us.

The cream generally rises to the top and this year was no exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

The Italian guy would have to be some idiot to be openly doing Coke in an arena, surrounded by people with a camera clearly pointed on him. It’s just an unfortunate camera angle I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

I love the Eurovision and watch it every year.
    However I was very uncomfortable with the humiliation dished out to the UK act and the others who received zero points. That's no way to behave. The acts have worked hard done their very best and travelled a long road to be a laughing stock in front of millions.

Surely to God there is a more humane way of adding the public vote and the jury vote rather than the cruel way it was done.

Left finger sticking out pressing in his nostril

Not in the video I've seen. His hands are nowhere near his nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,936 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

juneg wrote: »
    However I was very uncomfortable with the humiliation dished out to the UK act and the others who received zero points. That's no way to behave. The acts have worked hard done their very best and travelled a long road to be a laughing stock in front of millions.

Surely to God there is a more humane way of adding the public vote and the jury vote rather than the cruel way it was done.

How without also taking away the fun of watching and the nice moments for the people who get loads of points

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Italian song was great. A proper muscular rock song. A return of classic cool. The Iceland song was naff as well as the band. The weedy childish hipstery nerdy thing is over thankfully. Those kind of people should be wall flowers. They aren't cool. French song was great. Classic sexy French femininity.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,477 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is there a jury prize? I think Italy deserved the win but for the other performers a EV win would mean so much more to their careers.

If Italy keep sending top performers from San Remo festival they will be there or thereabouts every year.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

LizT wrote: »
    The Italian guy would have to be some idiot to be openly doing Coke in an arena, surrounded by people with a camera clearly pointed on him. It’s just an unfortunate camera angle I think.
    I'm sorry like, I don't know why you are in such denial but he is 100% doing cocaine at this precise moment.
    553839.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

forumdedum wrote: »
    During a live TV broadcast?

The point is this. Is there any Eurovision rule that would disqualify a winner or for that matter any competing artist because of drug taking? If there is I`m not aware of it.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    How without also taking away the fun of watching and the nice moments for the people who get loads of points

I think they should just add the points for the five lowest televote songs in one go, and maybe mention which countries they are but without singling them out with "your score is zero points."

The point is this. Is there any Eurovision rule that would disqualify a winner or for that matter any competing artist because of drug taking? If there is I`m not aware of it.

Alcohol is a drug. They are in Rotterdam where drug use is not a punishable offense under the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Cienciano wrote: »
    I think BBC for the performances, then switch to RTE when the voting starts. Graham has more interesting comments on the performances but turns into one of those idiots talking about "block voting" when the voting begins.

Sound quality was better on BBC One HD, always is for some reason, maybe RTE taker their feed from the BBC signal?

Sadly France didn't win :o

Flying Fox wrote: »
    I think they should just add the points for the five lowest televote songs in one go, and maybe mention which countries they are but without singling them out with "your score is zero points."

I suppose but you still had people way higher up the list getting 40 or 50 who looked gutted. Humiliation is a risk you take with live performance or sport for that matter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭jackboy

Italian song was great. A proper muscular rock song. A return of classic cool. The Iceland song was naff as well as the band. The weedy childish hipstery nerdy thing is over thankfully. Those kind of people should be wall flowers. They aren't cool. French song was great. Classic sexy French femininity.

Sure, even though the Italian singer is a weedy shorty.

I suppose but you still had people way higher up the list getting 40 or 50 who looked gutted. Humiliation is a risk you take with live performance or sport for that matter

At least with sport there is a objective winner by virtue of the rules. It's not just a popularity contest where even if everyone subjectively agrees that you excel, you can potentially get no points because you're unpopular.

Eurovision is like Mean Girls for the plebeians sucking up to politicians. The jury aspect of it also makes it entirely undemocratic, taking the power away from the people and putting it in the hands of the organisers, which is never a good thing. Very dishonest and makes a vote actually fairly worthless if it can just be overruled.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Alcohol is a drug. They are in Rotterdam where drug use is not a punishable offense under the law.

Well in that case he should have just admitted what he was doing instead of making up some BS about checking for broken glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

Sad day when a potential Eurovision winner like the UK`s entry is robbed because of the Brexit lashback. James should have finished in the top 5 at the very least.

I thought it was comfortably the worst overall performance

Lyrics terrible
    Singer terrible
    Production terrible

• Advertisement

At least with sport there is a objective winner by virtue of the rules. It's not just a popularity contest where even if everyone subjectively agrees that you excel, you can potentially get no points because you're unpopular.

Eurovision is like Mean Girls for the plebeians sucking up to politicians. The jury aspect of it also makes it entirely undemocratic, taking the power away from the people and putting it in the hands of the organisers, which is never a good thing. Very dishonest and makes a vote actually fairly worthless if it can just be overruled.

It has been a jury vote for most of its existence so clearly the "plebs" dont have a problem with it and neither do the participants who go willingly.You have a problem with the public vote because its a popularity contest and a problem with the jury vote because you think its shady. Can I take it you just dont like Eurovision

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭bladespin

It has been a jury vote for most of its existence so clearly the "plebs" dont have a problem with it and neither do the participants who go willingly.You have a problem with the public vote because its a popularity contest and a problem with the jury vote because you think its shady. Can I take it you just dont like Eurovision

They brought in the public vote because the jury vote was accused of being out of touch, pretty obviously was/is considering last nights phone results.

Problem is they kept both systems opening themselves up to these accusations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Why are people blaming the UK 0 points on Brexit? They have been failing miserably for years before Brexit. I have listened to the songs for the past two weeks and I still don't remember the song that well. It's forgettable.

The jury vote was gone for ages and only came back in 2009 because the organisers felt public voting was political.

The participants are doing it for their own fame and fortune (usually sellouts).

The voting public are the likes who watch XFactor. That is reflected in the calibre of the music.

I don't have a problem with the idea of Eurovision, I just wish it could be better. It's dishonest, staged (visuals often win it over sound). It's not about the music, not one iota. I hate that it's the main music contest and it's not about the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

When I first started watching Eurovision it was a contest for the songwriters.

Then it became all about the songs themselves.

Now it's about the theatre of the act.

I don't think it's a music competition per se at all any more.

Mildly entertaining, though (last night's being the first I've watched through in years, mind you).

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

juneg wrote: »

It made for great TV - if you weren't one of the acts in the line of fire - but would agree to an extent as a few countries took a right punch to the gut/ego in that section. But, as someone else said, a poor mark in the public vote wasn't confined to just the back markers. Malta didn't grab the public's attention as I thought it might and had to suck it up despite being in the top half of the table after the jury vote. All told, you put yourself up there, you may be prepared for all outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

Personally, I thought Finland was far better than Italy and that neither of them deserved to win.
    France, the song "voila" and that's the content of it... she also looked like a celine dion impersonator.
    Norway the guy actually had a very good voice but the silly staging let him down. He also looked like he was a fan of john lennon.
    Germany's song was dire.
    The UK song didn't deserve to come last again the staging let him down alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    When I first started watching Eurovision it was a contest for the songwriters.

Then it became all about the songs themselves.

Now it's about the theatre of the act.

I don't think it's a music competition per se at all any more.

Mildly entertaining, though (last night's being the first I've watched through in years, mind you).
    Drifted in and out of it myself, mostly the votes. Unbelievably annoying hosts, especially at the end. Not a fan of the public vote which clearly rewards spectacle and tomfoolery and is just an instant reaction but I guess it fills a need for people once a year. Felt sorry for the Swiss lad who'd clearly won it but such is life.

Eurovision is like Mean Girls for the plebeians sucking up to politicians.

Politicians?
    The jury aspect of it also makes it entirely undemocratic, taking the power away from the people and putting it in the hands of the organisers. Very dishonest and makes a vote actually fairly worthless if it can just be overruled.

There are two voting systems. Switzerland would have won if it was a jury only vote. Italy was rewarded for the performance on the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I like the Winner but i Preferred France

those were my top two after the superb silliness of Denmark failed to reach the final

Advertisement