Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Semi-Final 2 results:

Switzerland: Gjon’s Tears – “Tout l’Univers” (291 points)
    Iceland: Daði & Gagnamagnið – “10 Years” (288 points)
    Bulgaria: VICTORIA – “Growing Up Is Getting Old” (250 points)
    Portugal: The Black Mamba – “Love Is On My Side” (239 points)
    Finland: Blind Channel – “Dark Side” (234 points)
    Greece: Stefania – “Last Dance” (184 points)
    Moldova: Natalia Gordienko – “Sugar” (179 points)
    Serbia: Hurricane – “Loco Loco” (124 points)
    San Marino: Senhit (feat. Flo Rida) – “Adrenalina” (118 points)
    Albania: Anxhela Peristeri – “Karma” (112 points)
    Denmark: Fyr Og Flamme – “Øve os på hinanden” (89 points)
    Austria: Vincent Bueno – “Amen” (66 points)
    Estonia: Uku Suviste – “The Lucky One” (58 points)
    Poland: Rafał – “The Ride” (35 points)
    Czech Republic: Benny Cristo – “Omaga” (23 points)
    Georgia: Tornike Kipiani – “You” (16 points)
    Latvia: Samanta Tīna – “The Moon Is Rising” (14 points)

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

They where never going to. That yoke only won the last time because she had a gimmick going on. If people wanna complain about the best song not winning ffs look at that year.

I believe that israel won it that year through direct manipulation of the scores, fraud if you will. They can do whatever they want it seems to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

How the **** did that Georgia song get anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

buzzerxx wrote: »
    I believe that israel won it that year through direct manipulation of the scores, fraud if you will. They can do whatever they want it seems to me.

I dunno how that works but they where favourites (some how) for a long time before.

Feel bad for Lesley finishing last in the semi-final, I don't think it deserved that fate. :( On the plus side, she didn't finish last in either the televote (Australia, very harsh imo) or the jury vote (North Macedonia).

In any case, the staging was an interesting experiment that sadly didn't work but it at least showed a bit of creativity. I'm still a bigger fan of Lesley's effort than something extremely dull and unambitious like Nicky Byrne served a few years ago.

Anyway Finland finished last in their semi-final in 2019 and look at how well they did tonight! Switzerland came last in their semi in both 2015 and 2016, and yet took home a bronze medal tonight to go with their 4th place finish in 2019. Countries can very easily* turn their bad fortunes around, just hold out hope that the right artist comes along and gets the necessary support from RTÉ to make it happen. :)

*"very easily" might be stretching it a bit...but you know what I mean! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

I dunno how that works but they where favourites (some how) for a long time before.
    Really? wow, they can arrange whatever they want.

Guffy wrote: »
    Norway: TIX – “Fallen Angel” (115 points)
    Croatia: Albina – “Tick Tock” (110 points)

Looking at the breakdowns on Wikipedia and see that Croatia came 9th in the televote and 10th in the jury; they made the top ten in both sections, yet still missed out on aggregate! :eek: I might be wrong but I don't think that's ever happened before, that is extremely harsh on them. :(

If the semi-finals were 100% televote, we would have had Croatia and Denmark instead of Belgium and Albania.

If the semi-finals were 100% jury, we would have had Croatia and Romania instead of Azerbaijan and Norway (interesting that the jury had all ten of the semi-final 2 qualifiers picked; a lot of people thought they'd have wanted Austria over Moldova).

Czech Republic got 0 points in the Semi-Final 2 televote; harsh. :( His live vocal wasn't good but the song was decent! Georgia came 14th out of 17 in the televote, which was a lot higher than most people had predicted!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,388 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Ireland finished last in the semi two years running (last in 2019 as well). Doesn't reflect too well on RTE, a slump wouldn't even begin to describe it.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

My overall #1.

A scandal it didn't qualify.

I'm only catching up on the thread now so someone might have already posted, but Croatia finished 9th and 10th with the televoters and juries respectively, yet somehow finished 11th overall and didn't qualify. First time that's ever happened, that's a tough break!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Sad day when a potential Eurovision winner like the UK`s entry is robbed because of the Brexit lashback. James should have finished in the top 5 at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Arturo Delgado

quartz1 wrote: »
    Ireland came last in their semi final and received a very tiny number of votes..

Another hear ahead and Rte will pull another singer out of a corner, spend a pile of money preparing the singer and the exact will again be earned

Time to withdraw from the contest until RTE management are able to make a serious effort to find act.

Why not a national song contest on tv and pick the next act there in full view of the public . Shameful TB be throwing licence fee money any acts that are not producing.

They can't afford to win it, yet still send entrants every year. It's silly really. Best not to enter I hope that's what they do. Or else have a proper national contest with a selection of judges sifting out the best ten or twelve entries, and go from there. I'm certain we would do much better. But it's money, and they don't got any....

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭reniwren

Of the top 6, 4 were not a dance style song. Hopefully taste is changing back toward live music, also Iceland entry was quite technical.
    I found most entrants were not able to sing the song they recorded, especially the likes of UK and Ireland who are too reliant on pitch correction in post production.
    It might be a case that now people have better audio technology (soundbars) to go along with their TV's and can now hear how bad the singers are.
    Seeing as all backing singer are pre recorded now it's literally up to the choice of a person who can actually sing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The Irish song was pretty poor so not surprised it finished last in semi final 1. It wasn't helped that the staging and performance on the night was also poor. It didn't stand out in anyway and was instantly forgettable. If you look at the winning song whether you like it or not, it stood out from the other songs, we need to do something different rather than sending bland songs and performers.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    The Irish song was pretty poor so not surprised it finished last in semi final 1. It wasn't helped that the staging and performance on the night was also poor. It didn't stand out in anyway and was instantly forgettable. If you look at the winning song whether you like it or not, it stood out from the other songs, we need to do something different rather than sending bland songs and performers.

I know. Maybe send a sock puppet like a turkey for instance. That could be a Eurovision winner.

Oh wait.............................

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭reniwren

Personallyi would send some respectable artists

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_SvXkNwldz4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=56zT4FSrLvU&vl=en

As to if either would do it or not is another story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

I find it hard to believe that a professional, well-known band such as Maneskin would be stupid enough to do drugs on telly

Even though there is literally a video of him doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭forumdedum

If proof, disqualification.

Sad day when a potential Eurovision winner like the UK`s entry is robbed because of the Brexit lashback. James should have finished in the top 5 at the very least.

Haven't UK votes been around the 0 point since the invasion of Iraq?

Aside from that the guy wasn't a great singer and the song was pretty dated. Though of course most Eurovision songs copy Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Bon Jovi etc

His friend is pucking him with his elbow to tell him the camera is on him.

He has one finger covering his nostril and he lowers his nose to directly over the table.

I'm sorry like but I've been at enough parties to know he is 100% taking a bump.

I don't really care if he's disqualified, i think it's the same as drinking alchol on tv but I'm not going to lie to myself about it having happened, because I saw it.

Look here i uploaded it, it'll probably be taken down promptly so have a look quick

He has one finger covering his nostril and he lowers his nose to directly over the table.

I'm sorry like but I've been at enough parties to know he is 100% taking a bump.

I don't really care if he's disqualified, i think it's the same as drinking alchol on tv but I'm not going to lie to myself about it having happened, because I saw it.

Look here i uploaded it, it'll probably be taken down promptly so have a look quick

Unless he is jokingly doing it, in response to the Maltese singer in some way.

I don't think people get shot over alcohol.

• Advertisement

forumdedum wrote: »
    If proof, disqualification.

Why? A pop/rock musician taking drugs? Like it never happened before last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Till next year. X

Why? A pop/rock musician taking drugs? Like it never happened before last night?

During a live TV broadcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,404 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

There really isn't

There are other pics showing a broken glass on the floor, the table was also pretty far away from him.

There is a video of one of the Italians making a finger vomitting gesture when the swiss guy was on screen, which was incredibly bad form imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I know. Maybe send a sock puppet like a turkey for instance. That could be a Eurovision winner.

Oh wait.............................

Well that was literally taking the piss and got rightly panned for it. Look we finished nearly last in both the jury and tele vote for our semi final, so it was one of the worst songs/performances this year. If you liked it if fair enough, but, I thought the song was very bland and instantly forgettable, seems like most of Europe agreed.

reniwren wrote: »
    Personallyi would send some respectable artists

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_SvXkNwldz4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=56zT4FSrLvU&vl=en

As to if either would do it or not is another story.
    My shout would be Lyra if we could get her

forumdedum wrote: »
    Unless he is jokingly doing it, in response to the Maltese singer in some way.
    He claims he was checking for glass on the table. He's totally oblivious to the camera being on him, so i sincerely doubt it is him "joking".
    I don't think people get shot over alcohol.
    Absolutely, and in Rotterdam it's probably even legal, so who cares!

I'm delighted because I personally know several housewives who hate drugs but love Eurovision and are very uncomfortable over all of this, which is excellent to my view because their conservative nonsense opinions generally are for the bin and this will be very challenging for their tiny minds.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Well that was literally taking the piss and got rightly panned for it. Look we finished nearly last in both the jury and tele vote for our semi final, so it was one of the worst songs/performances this year. If you liked it if fair enough, but, I thought the song was very bland and instantly forgettable, seems like most of Europe agreed.
    The song was fine well the recorded version, live it was a trainwreck.
    Agree with everything else you are saying

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Unless the guy has a "hands free" way of doing coke...

You can clearly see he has both his fists clenched and is shaking them while he's looking down.

• Advertisement

He claims he was checking for glass on the table. He's totally oblivious to the camera being on him, so i sincerely doubt it is him "joking".

Absolutely, and in Rotterdam it's probably even legal, so who cares!

I'm delighted because I personally know several housewives who hate drugs but love Eurovision and are very uncomfortable over all of this, which is excellent to my view because their conservative nonsense opinions generally are for the bin and this will be very challenging for their tiny minds.

Acknowledging I've read your post in response.

Advertisement