Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock/Eirtrade thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Eirtrade received former Qatar A330-300 in this morning. Couple of IndiGo A320s from Istanbul last month. No word on the next A380.

?uuid=c8315e24-eeb3-51ba-8990-52bf4cd8ffd7&function=fit&type=preview&source=false&q=75&maxsize=1200&scaleup=0

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Eir trade have planning accepted to build a new large hanger which can accommodate the A380. Sad to see aircraft being scrapped but great new for Eir trade and local jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,536 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Neworder79 wrote: »
    Eirtrade received former Qatar A330-300 in this morning. Couple of IndiGo A320s from Istanbul last month. [...]

So they're currently busy scrapping 5 or 6 aircraft simultaneously. Was there 2 days ago, will try to upload a video later tonight, or tomorrow morning.

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I flew over Knock today as the airport is closed. Here are some shots.

51185674291_e73366a3e3_b.jpg

51184984072_94d814bbec_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭masit

I was down on Sunday. Not been there since Stephens day. A lot has changed.https://youtu.be/Qvmg1ed4ywE

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭yew_tree

I flew over Knock today as the airport is closed. Here are some shots.

51185674291_e73366a3e3_b.jpg

51184984072_94d814bbec_b.jpg

Cool. Any idea when construction on the new hanger starts?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Another A330 from Doha due into knock for scrap this morning around 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

eastmayo wrote: »
    Another A330 from Doha due into knock for scrap this morning around 10.

Currently over England, callsign 3254.

QR3254 from Doha to Knock https://fr24.com/QTR3254/27ca01d4

Unregistered Users

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I do chuckle at Knocks twitter announcing the arrival of these aircraft, but not why they're there. They were the same when the A380 came in. We can take an A380! Yes, but it's never getting out again.

I do chuckle at Knocks twitter announcing the arrival of these aircraft, but not why they're there. They were the same when the A380 came in. We can take an A380! Yes, but it's never getting out again.

Actually I think it can, maybe not fully laden :D

(I think I read that somewhere!)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

The runway can take an empty landing A380 (and probably at other weights too).

Although I'd call an airport 'able to take' an aircraft only when it has a stand to park it!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The runway at Knock is 200 Mtrs longer than runway 16 at Dublin, which has been regularly used over the years for transatlantic 330 departures, so I'd be reasonably confident that it would be possible to get a 330 out of Knock with a decent revenue load.

As to the chances of that happening on a regular basis, that's another story.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

The runway at Knock is 200 Mtrs longer than runway 16 at Dublin, which has been regularly used over the years for transatlantic 330 departures, so I'd be reasonably confident that it would be possible to get a 330 out of Knock with a decent revenue load.

As to the chances of that happening on a regular basis, that's another story.

.... aaahhh. I remember then Norwegian Air hop from Scotland that tried a USA service from Knock. Well enough said about that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Fly Globespan wasn't it? Terrible airline. Tried to do it with a 737, which unsurprisingly didn't have the legs to get across the Atlantic westbound in one go most of the time.

I said it on a Shannon Airport thread yesterday, but it's every bit as applicable to Knock - long haul outside of Dublin is all but dead, Knock might as well post videos of 330s and 380s landing for scrapping, because that's the only reason they will ever have to land at Knock. It's the equivalent of medical diversions at Shannon, brings in a few quid for the airport but of no real relevance to scheduled passenger operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Knock should be publicising why these are flying in - careful recycling which makes aviation more sustainable, local jobs etc. The glass half-full argument, rather than the fact that there's no passengers aboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Fly Globespan wasn't it? Terrible airline. Tried to do it with a 737, which unsurprisingly didn't have the legs to get across the Atlantic westbound in one go most of the time.

They used 757s that were constantly going tech at the end. Remember horror stories of people getting stranded in New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Would have been a great addition if operated by a reasonable airline. New york straight into knock - brilliant for anyone from the west but with old planes that seemed to be faulty more than they flew, it was a mess.

• Advertisement

Took a spin up to the airport earlier. Been a while since I was there. Jeeze, them A330's are BIG, could see them from miles off!!!

E2qFbWNWEAIDtFc?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

One of the Qatar A330's departed Knock today for Kemble, in the UK. It will be scrapped there.

The other A330 left for Kemble last week as well.

EI LAX arrived in knock today from Shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 34,132 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That one was from May (and I've just realised so was your post, oops! 😁 )

Weird that tweets used to embed on the old site, but not the new one... here's EI-LAX from this afternoon. Aer Lingus didn't bother covering over the livery as most airlines do. Think this is the first time Knock have mentioned "final journey" in their tweets (I suppose if they didn't, some goon would start posting about EI starting a TA service from Knock!!)

https://twitter.com/Irelandwest/status/1421094066230636546

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭3d4life

Qatar have taken some of their 350s out of service due to an issue with the skin. They are subbing 330s.

Might this shuffle of 330 be related to the 350 issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭john boye

Yes. They've taken a number of A350s out of service and returned some of their A330s as replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

No, the A330s still on Qatar's books being returned to use were/are all in storage in Doha, the A330 (VPCNV, formerly A7AEA) which went to Kemble is not part of their fleet - was owned by Castlelake and recently sold to Executive Jet for parts recovery by Air Salvage International.

The issue with the A350s is the under paint conductive metal mesh (basically the anti-lightning coat) I believe.

Possibly related to the A7-ALL issue which was discovered last year in Shannon? A7-ALL was sent to Tolouse months ago but not repaired so could be a bigger issue than we know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭alentejo

Always sad to see a A330 land for the last time. The A330-200 was revolutionary at the time and opened up the west coast to AL operations

Advertisement