Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

• 21-05-2021 9:00pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Splitting between Testing and Vaccines

Prior combined threads:
    Thread 1
    Thread 2
    Thread 3

Dedicated Vaccine Megathread No 1

Please do not use these threads to push anti-vax agendas. If you want to make a conspiracy out of vaccines use our Conspiracy Theory Forum.

Threadbans carry over

Threadbanned users:
    3xh
    Dr.Frost
    kingbhome
    nannerbenahs
    skooterblue2
    Fodla
    Caraibh
    lawrencesummers
    Howard Beale
    Thornysheep
    Snowcat
    brickster69
    patnor1011
    brendanwalsh
    princereingold
    Ballynally
    moonage
    isha
    missmelo
    lastusername
    CruelSummer

Please discuss with banning mod if you wish a threadban to be reconsidered
    Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,838 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Thousands of posts and I am still waiting for vaccine... just get it out there!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Apogee

Lumen wrote:
    3.9m is what I read, but Donnelly is saying 1.6m=43% which would make 100% 3.7m and 80% 3m.

3m-1.6m=1.4m first doses to hit 80%. 40 days = 35k/day, 245k first doses/week.

It ought to be possible, but I don't know how many second doses are due in that period.

I get 3.9M too, especially if we are including over 16s, based on CSO numbers. But Government numbers seem to be based on 3.7M.

Government also quoted 55-60% on second dose by end of June.

548557.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Folks,

Any idea which vaccine (if any) works against the Indian variant? What is the efficacy? How worried should we be?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Folks,

Any idea which vaccine (if any) works against the Indian variant? What is the efficacy? How worried should we be?

It looks like Pfizer is about 75% efficacious:
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/covid-vaccine/update-1-biontech-ceo-says-vaccine-up-to-75-effective-against-india-variant-1130335.html

Other vaccines will probably be similar. The panic is really about getting the vaccine hesitant motivated to get vaccinated (but the UK press has spilled over to Ireland).

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Folks,

They all work against it, but may not be as effective. More may get it and symptoms may be worse, but still a massive improvement on no vaccine protection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭thejuggler

My other half registered via the portal during the week. Can you sign in to check your appointment status?
    Is there a separate portal URL for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

thejuggler wrote: »
    My other half registered via the portal during the week. Can you sign in to check your appointment status?
    Is there a separate portal URL for this?

https://vaccine3.hse.ie/s/login/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

My wife just got a text to get dose 2 of AZ at a vaccination centre. She got the first dose through work and was told it would be the same for the 2nd. Text looks legit and I assume there was just a change of plan but just wanted to check if anyone else has had similar?

astrofool wrote: »
    It looks like Pfizer is about 75% efficacious:
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/covid-vaccine/update-1-biontech-ceo-says-vaccine-up-to-75-effective-against-india-variant-1130335.html

Other vaccines will probably be similar. The panic is really about getting the vaccine hesitant motivated to get vaccinated (but the UK press has spilled over to Ireland).

That article is inaccurate and seems to be based on a mistranslation of what the BioNTech chief said (fact checking, what's that?) . He was speaking of the cuff and gave a rough number. He did not say "up to".

75% is the efficacy shown against B.1.351. B.1.617.2 doesn't show the same loss in neutralization so is likely to have a much lower drop in efficacy.

https://twitter.com/mugecevik/status/1395795155706335234?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

My wife just got a text to get dose 2 of AZ at a vaccination centre. She got the first dose through work and was told it would be the same for the 2nd. Text looks legit and I assume there was just a change of plan but just wanted to check if anyone else has had similar?

Is it too late for her to check through work?
    Probably just down to supplies.
    They have said that vaccination and contact tracing has not been affected by the cyber attack if that is what you are concerned about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Friend of mine got similar text for Citywest this eve although his first dose was elsewhere.

But his son was playing with his phone and "New" came up in auto suggest and he sent it.

Now he is unsure as to when he will get a new appointment.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get a second appointment if you reply "New" to the text message to reschedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Kalyke wrote:
    What cohorts are getting the Johnson and Johnson vaccine at the moment?
    Strazdas wrote:
    In theory, it can be freely given to anyone over the age of 50 but supplies have been a bit limited so far.

On the HSE site about vaccinating HCWs, I found:

Chapter 5a - COVID-19 (updated 29th April 2021)
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/hcpinfo/guidelines/covid19.pdf
    HSE wrote:
    Licensed indications

Active immunisation to prevent COVID-19 caused by SARS-CoV-2 virus, in individuals 18 years of age and older.

Precautions
    ..f
    As alternative vaccines are available, mRNA vaccines are recommended for those aged under 50 years including those with medical conditions with very high or high risk of severe COVID-19 disease.

In circumstances where a two-dose mRNA vaccination schedule is not a feasible alternative, COVID-19 vaccine Janssen® can be considered for those aged 18 – 49 years.

This wording is much more positive than I've read about recently.

It's saying Janssen is both licensed for and can be considered for anyone over 18 if mRNA vaccination is not feasible.

This seems to differ from the NIAC advice for the public rollout which is to unlock it decade by decade almost as a last resort.

Why is NIAC recommending one thing for the general public and the HSE recommending another for HCW?

Have I missed something? Admittedly that HSE doc is a month old, but it is the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Is it too late for her to check through work?
    Probably just down to supplies.
    They have said that vaccination and contact tracing has not been affected by the cyber attack if that is what you are concerned about?

Thanks! She’s working in a small clinic, first shot was given through a bigger hospital they work with so doesn’t really know anyone involved with the whole process. She’s going to try asking people tomorrow but decided to ask on here just in case. Yeah that’s the worry all right but the text looked completely legit so I’m sure it’s fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The vaccine I got was the Pfizer

Lumen wrote: »
    On the HSE site about vaccinating HCWs, I found:

Chapter 5a - COVID-19 (updated 29th April 2021)
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/hcpinfo/guidelines/covid19.pdf

This wording is much more positive than I've read about recently.

It's saying Janssen is both licensed for and can be considered for anyone over 18 if mRNA vaccination is not feasible.

This seems to differ from the NIAC advice for the public rollout which is to unlock it decade by decade almost as a last resort.

Why is NIAC recommending one thing for the general public and the HSE recommending another for HCW?

Have I missed something? Admittedly that HSE doc is a month old, but it is the latest.

I think that has been the NIAC position since their initial advice. This allows J&J to be used for hard to reach communities, etc.

The HSE then requested advice on how they could use J&J going forward, and it was reiterated that it could be offered if an mRNA was not available. The only new part of the advice was that people under 50 could opt to wait for an mRNA vaccine if they prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Is scally itching for permanent lockdowns/restrictions or wants to shut us from the outside world foreva?? It’s getting very tiring and exhausting now… Even if it’s 75% that is great protection. Does he ever shut up?

https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1395782106991808522?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Is scally itching for permanent lockdowns/restrictions or wants to shut us from the outside world foreva?? It’s getting very tiring and exhausting now… Even if it’s 75% that is great protection. Does he ever shut up?

https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1395782106991808522?s=21

What worries me most about these so called experts is that they look for the story which supports their argument and react to comments not evidence. That is fine for the academics who are working to some kind of odd political agenda but it should not be the case for active medical practitioners.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

This time last year the same scientists and doctors were saying a vaccine with anything around 60% efficacy would be amazing and a game changer.

Talking now about a vaccine that's 75% effective at stopping symptomatic cases like it's the end of world. I think there is a few in the scientific community that the attention and fame has gone to their head tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

45 year olds are being invited to register tomorrow. Has there been any talk about when 40-45 will be invited? I thought it would follow directly on Monday but they have been very quiet about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭1wizards sleeve

Folks,

Covaxin made in india by bharat biotech, And v close to getting EUA in the USA through a second company called ocgn seems to be getting the best results for all variants its an old fashioned vaccine using dead cells. Im not expert on that kind of stuff. It could well be produced in the usa and distributed to various countries and possible as a booster shot going forward. Bharat biotech is a major vaccine maker if not one of the biggest in the world. They will produce in india for there own needs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

I’m the same, I’m assuming it’s to do with them reducing the gap from 16 weeks back to 12 so they’re trying to fit everyone in now asap. I originally got mine through one of the hospitals as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Covaxin made in india by bharat biotech, And v close to getting EUA in the USA through a second company called ocgn seems to be getting the best results for all variants its an old fashioned vaccine using dead cells. Im not expert on that kind of stuff. It could well be produced in the usa and distributed to various countries and possible as a booster shot going forward. Bharat biotech is a major vaccine maker if not one of the biggest in the world. They will produce in india for there own needs
    Very unlikely to be used in the US now, even with approval. They have more than enough other ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭archfi

dan786 wrote: »
    Friend of mine got similar text for Citywest this eve although his first dose was elsewhere.

But his son was playing with his phone and "New" came up in auto suggest and he sent it.

Now he is unsure as to when he will get a new appointment.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get a second appointment if you reply "New" to the text message to reschedule?
    I had to text 'New' on my original 1st appt for Tuesday last.

I texted 'New' late Monday evening and had new appointment texted to me on Wednesday for Friday just gone - Citywest
    By the way, Citywest is very, very efficient on the day itself.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

dan786 wrote:

I've cancelled 3 appointment for the the Hilex and I've gotten another the next day. So my appointment so far was yesterday, today & Monday. I expect my next offer will be Tuesday. Having said all that some posters on the vaccine appointment thread have been waiting a week for new appointment. It really depends on the centre you must attend

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭1wizards sleeve

is_that_so wrote: »
    Very unlikely to be used in the US now, even with approval. They have more than enough other ones.

Getting used in the usa and getting eua are different things i suppose. They will possibly produce for brazil the Philippines and various other countries from the usa. And leave bharat biotech to look after there share in India. They are very close to eua.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I've cancelled 3 appointment for the the Hilex and I've gotten another the next day. So my appointment so far was yesterday, today & Monday. I expect my next offer will be Tuesday. Having said all that some posters on the vaccine appointment thread have been waiting a week for new appointment. It really depends on the centre you must attend

Do you keep cancelling because you are being offered vaccines you don’t want?

Lumen wrote:

They have no plans to use J&J for under 50s. The HSE site is a bit misleading. The large delivery of J&J never arrived & no details on June delivery. The current stock of J&J won't last long.

revelman wrote:
    Do you keep cancelling because you are being offered vaccines you don’t want?

The centres have different vacancies every week or so. For the last two weeks it was almost entirely pfizer. In my centre they started using J&J and I expect this to continue for the next week or so. Till stocks run out

I rang the helpline asking how do I go to the bottom of the list as I wasn't taking AZ or J&J. They told me that there was no bottom of the list & to keep cancelling until something different is offered. The agent told me that they had a lot refuse AZ a while back and eventually they received an alternative. He said that things quietened down until the J&J was offered this week and they were flooded with calls like mine

I am in no hurry for the vaccine. I'm happy to wait months for a safer vaccine that doesn't cause blood clots. It does look like I will have a vaccine in weeks rather than days though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Lads , sister 51 just got Pfizer there, she was told 3 months to next dose and given an appointment date for august ? That's not right is it ? I thought it was 4 weeks ?

Advertisement