Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

BattleCorp wrote: »
    How have CAB got it up for sale so quickly? Surely they'd have to wait a certain amount of time in case the owner appeals the seizure?

I assume the seizure of the house was made at the end of the whole legal process.

Arrests and other seizures in the operation were made in 2018, and even then the investigation was a couple of years old. https://www.killarneytoday.com/three-arrested-operation-tarmac-follow/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Muahahaha wrote: »
    No not Maynooth but around Manor Kilbride in Wicklow. The house spoken about is 415k but needs a lot of work, perhaps 150k worth. Was just saying you could find houses in the same area for around 500k that dont need work done on them. Heres one at 575k which is twice the size and in move in condition
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/bungalow-kilbride-blessington-co-wicklow/2838591
    Indeed, the cost was the main reason I originally posted it. Manor Kilbride is indeed a nice area, in fact the reason I found that house was it's in one of our shortlisted areas, but that one is definitely not worth 415, you can get much better for not much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The elegant staircase, the beautiful coving (if that's your thing), the gorgeous ceiling plasterwork (ditto) - and 3 cheapest of cheap IKEA mirrors stuck to the wall in the most prominent position possible....... off-centre :eek:

The mirrors are actually the only things I like in this photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Fitz* wrote: »
    Why is the toilet seat duck-taped shut?!

Probably just used a bucket..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,818 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Is that bath the wrong way round? should the corner not be in the corner?

Reading back through the thread, this has just made me laugh so much.

Priceless! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

humberklog wrote: »
    Just looking back on the Manor Kilbride house.

That's in fantatic nick. No damp on the outside nor growth on the slates or discolourisation on the exterior walls, chimney nice and straight. And this for a house surrounded by trees. On the inside there's no sign of mould on the walls or ceiling or around the windows.

The furniture and fittings and style aren't just of their time, they're fine example of the period and I'd say if you walked into that house in 1979 you'd think you were in some fancy American uncle's house.

There nice thoughtful touches of design too such as the rounded corners on the shelves as you enter the sitting room from the kitchen.

Hopefully that furniture isn't skipped (as some of it is seriously cool, then and now) and at the very least there's some hipsters shop owners from Camden Street sniffing the jocks off the estate agent.

That's a credit to the builders and to the family and it's so rare to see an example of this style from that era that hasn't been eaten by nature or spontaneously combusted.

I dunno why but for some reason it looks like it might have been a retirement home or retreat house for the likes of Carmalites or some such.
    It's just that the fire extinguisher is sticking out a bit.

that house is ghastly looking to my eyes but that is a fantastic defense of it may i say

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Tabnabs wrote: »

What does that even mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,375 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

If you buy it you buy all the crap therein too I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,818 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

"Save us St Benildus"? No idea!

"Sold as seen"? You get to hire the skip and pay to get rid of all the **** they couldn't be bothered to even clear so you could see the rooms properly. They're clearly not in the market for maximising sale price :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'd guess it means you have to clear out all the crap inside.

If you buy it you all the crap therein too I presume.
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »

"Sold as seen"? You get to hire the skip and pay to get rid of all the **** they couldn't be bothered to even clear so you could see the rooms properly. They're clearly not in the market for maximising sale price :rolleyes:
    I'd guess it means you have to clear out all the crap inside.

Oh, right. :pac:

That's the surface meaning. I'd say the underlining meaning is that roomfuls of crap aren't the worst issue with the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

That's the surface meaning. I'd say the underlining meaning is that roomfuls of crap aren't the worst issue with the property.

You get that with any house though. I could be wrong but aren't all houses 'sold as seen'?

I was wondering something along the lines of, 'yeah, if you've not noticed the rising damp, the cracks behind the lovely wall paper. Tough.' But, isn't that the same regardless, so I think it's probably that it comes with a skip hire company's phone number on the key to the front door's key-ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tallaghtjoe

This just seems crazy. This has just sold for 251K.

https://bidx1.com/en/en-ie/auction/property/50339?auctionids=1580,1584,1673

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Baybay

Everything is worth only what someone is willing to pay so let’s hope it’s worth it to whoever paid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

You get that with any house though. I could be wrong but aren't all houses 'sold as seen'?

Not really. For example, in many cases, the house will be currently occupied. As such, all the furniture/electronics/etc in the photos (and during the videos) are usually not included in the sale (but they can sometimes be). Hence, the agent uses that phrase to say "if you see a piece of furniture in the photos, it is included in the sale".

Three properties. You're set up for a mini landlord estate. Seems abandoned a long time though - need to get rid of the grass/weed growth, which seems to have overtaken the tarmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Seems a highly unusual development too, to have three properties, and therefore potentially three households, on a site like that in a rural area. Another place where you'd really have to get on with your neighbours!

• Advertisement

It is weird. The whole thing (the 3 houses) are all in one folio according to landirect.ie

I wonder is there a planning horror story in there somewhere.

553027.png

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Seems a highly unusual development too, to have three properties, and therefore potentially three households, on a site like that in a rural area. Another place where you'd really have to get on with your neighbours!

It is a single property so probably granny flats or for grown up children.

It is a single property so probably granny flats or for grown up children.

Yeah, that's my guess too, for what it was probably originally intended as. But a whole other kettle of fish about to boil if the new buyer has other ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The Kilbride house is a good location for commuting but at 415k it is overpriced considering it would need about 150k of works to bring it up to a modern standard. You can buy similar houses in that area for under 500k that wouldnt need much work.

This is another doer-upper house just a few kilometres south of Kilbride in the mountain village of Ballyknocken which is also close to Blessington. It is bigger than the Kilbride one (126sqm v 165sqm) and has a great view of the Blessington lakes, its just a pity the agent didnt wait for a sunny day to actually take the photos as its a very scenic area. It was put up on Monday for 245k but since then the agent has raised the price to 300k, likely because theres been lots of interest

MmI5NmEzYzkwNjA2MTgxM2JiYjBkMTg1NDNhYmZjODdDehBqjgiGgK87cGsqjAbmaHR0cHM6Ly9zMy1ldS13ZXN0LTEuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9tZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1L2UvNy9lN2FlNTc0YmFmYzNlNzdhMWY4ZjM3NWRhNDcyZGVlZS5qcGd8fHwxMjAwfHx8fHx8fA==.webp

Added bonus is once a year one of Irelands best small music festivals is held in a field on the lake shore just down the road. Its called Knockan Stockan and it is pretty unique in that its a music festival that is run by musicians for musicians. Its all done on voluntary work by people who work in music, theatre and the arts. Have been to it a couple of times and they put on a really great weekend.

This is Blessignton with those stone walls ???

It's close on 20 years ago now, but I spent two years myself living in a flat in this place:
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-glenbower-house-the-avenue-gorey-co-wexford/2629315

What does anybody here think of it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

It's close on 20 years ago now, but I spent two years myself living in a flat in this place:
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-glenbower-house-the-avenue-gorey-co-wexford/2629315

What does anybody here think of it?

I bet the person who sits on the bouncy ball in Photo 5 is great craic :pac:

Otherwise, lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

TomSweeney wrote: »
    This is Blessignton with those stone walls ???
    It's Ballyknockan (not Ballyknocken which is also in Wicklow but a long way away!), also known as the granite village. Lots of local granite quarries and a centre for stonecutters and stone craft, so not strange at all. Curious as to why you'd think it was?

'Operation Tarmac' :D:D:D !!!

That has to be a nod!!!

Alun wrote: »
    It's Ballyknockan (not Ballyknocken which is also in Wicklow but a long way away!), also known as the granite village. Lots of local granite quarries and a centre for stonecutters and stone craft, so not strange at all. Curious as to why you'd think it was?

Because I thought the stone walls were a thing in the west, not so much in the east especially near Dublin, I have seen some - but a lot less - in Wexford though.

Anyway, next time I am home (maybe summer 2022) I must take a trip to Blessignton, looks like a nice place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

TomSweeney wrote: »
    'Operation Tarmac' :D:D:D !!!

That has to be a nod!!!

Headed up by Chief Super Richard Keys, formerly of Sky Sports fame.

Advertisement