Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,818 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Blowfish wrote: »
    Anybody fancy throwing €415,000 on living in the middle of nowhere in a house that hasn't been redecorated in 50 years?

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/bungalow-manor-kilbride-co-wicklow/3217084

Ah here, that is just magnificent!!

The National Museum should buy that - authentic down to the CRT telly, and the turquoise plastic bathroom suite. And we had kitchen cupboards propped up on metal piping at home as well :D

The carpets alone are amazing. Total trip down memory lane!!

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah I had thought they looked like Sean Scullys art work on the wall. Some of his work is good but Im always amazed how much it sells for. He has sold paintings at Sothebys for $500k and even small ones go for $50k upwards. All his paintings are just broad brush strokes in various colours, they are nice and everything if you like that type of abstract art but also hardly the most difficult thing to create. I watched that documentary he did and he bashes these paintings out in no time at all and he has hundreds of them stored in a warehouse which he drip feeds onto the market to maintain the high prices.
    This is probably a stupid question, because it's abstract art and maybe not supposed to mean anything — but what do they mean?

He gave an exhibition in the National Gallery a few years ago, and the people were fairly going wild for it. I peered closer to one painting to have a read of the "clue" in the little description they place beside each one. It just said something like "Renewal" — it was 3 blocks of opposing colours. I am none the wiser. If you ask this philistine, the emperor has no clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭wassie

Here's one I found ages ago and bookmarked solely for one reason. All looks at least somewhat normal, if a bit of an odd layout for the first batch of photos. Then you get to photo 17....

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-tynock-kiltegan-co-wicklow/2576747

Looking at its location, you could actually have a deborturous party on the Saturday night through to the wee hours of the next morning then have everyone stroll over the road to repent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

I think that place in Manor Kilbride is great!
    It's in fairly good nick considering the age of the fixtures and fittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I think that place in Manor Kilbride is great!
    It's in fairly good nick considering the age of the fixtures and fittings.

It's a real time capsule. Takes me back to my childhood when lots of houses had that exact furniture and carpeting.

Picture 19 makes me sad, the four chairs against the wall give me the impression that a wake was held in that room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

If I was buying around Dublin, and had €500,000 I'd take that place in Manor Kilbride over any estate in Dublin. It needs carpets/flooring, paint and a patio door. Insulation, windows and heating upgrade can be done with a lot of grant assistance. Stick €80,000 into that and it would go a long way, you don't need to start ripping out walls all around a la Dermot Bannon.

I know the area well, it's fantastic and you're less than 10 mins by bike from the 65 bus stop. If you're working in Dublin 2-3 days a week it's a no-brainer.

It's 20 mins to Tallaght by car, or better again, 10 mins to Blessington which has all you need. It's quiet, safe, no hassle with neighbours.

It was never renovated as the last owner felt it didn't need it and if they're happy with furniture and carpets that still work, then why not. It looks well looked after, apart from the growth over the last year. The house is situated here, so effectively in the middle of a small wood. If you like nature then it's a steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

KevRossi wrote: »
    If I was buying around Dublin, and had €500,000 I'd take that place in Manor Kilbride over any estate in Dublin. It needs carpets/flooring, paint and a patio door. Insulation, windows and heating upgrade can be done with a lot of grant assistance. Stick €80,000 into that and it would go a long way, you don't need to start ripping out walls all around a la Dermot Bannon.

I know the area well, it's fantastic and you're less than 10 mins by bike from the 65 bus stop. If you're working in Dublin 2-3 days a week it's a no-brainer.

It's 20 mins to Tallaght by car, or better again, 10 mins to Blessington which has all you need. It's quiet, safe, no hassle with neighbours.

It was never renovated as the last owner felt it didn't need it and if they're happy with furniture and carpets that still work, then why not. It looks well looked after, apart from the growth over the last year. The house is situated here, so effectively in the middle of a small wood. If you like nature then it's a steal.

and that's some space in the attic...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Since when did "only 20 minutes to Tallaght" become a selling point?! And the 65 bus? 90 mins into town from there. Maybe more. And home. + a 20 minutes cycle. So close to a 3 and a half hour commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The main reason I'm hesitant about rural houses, besides the fact that I don't drive, is that you have no idea about internet access which is very important for my line of work. At this stage any house advertised should include what type of connection it can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

lawred2 wrote: »
    and that's some space in the attic...

Grow house! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The Nal wrote: »
    Since when did "only 20 minutes to Tallaght" become a selling point?! And the 65 bus? 90 mins into town from there. Maybe more. And home. + a 20 minutes cycle. So close to a 3 and a half hour commute.

It would be a selling point if you worked in Tallaght. Or if you commuted from Wexford, Carlow or Kilkenny etc. Lots of people have really long commutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Would you not be better off with this one just past Blessington for 480? Still has the large amount of land, is only 15 min walk to the Lakes and needs a hell of a lot less work. Granted it is beside the N81 which can be fairly busy so a negative there:

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/bungalow-pine-lodge-glashina-blessington-co-wicklow/3174479

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Anybody fancy throwing €415,000 on living in the middle of nowhere in a house that hasn't been redecorated in 50 years?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Ah here, that is just magnificent!!

The National Museum should buy that - authentic down to the CRT telly, and the turquoise plastic bathroom suite. And we had kitchen cupboards propped up on metal piping at home as well :D

The carpets alone are amazing. Total trip down memory lane!!

I have to agree with others, that house is fantastic, it's a time capsule and so well kept. The museum post might have been a bit tongue in cheek but there is a flat on Patrick's Street in Dublin that is now a museum as the last occupant who died in her 90s had been born there and lived there all her life, never changed the decoration or furniture from when she was a child. It was pristine and magnificent to see in person. I feel like if this place was cleaned up it could be just the same though it is unlikely to happen. It mostly looks in great shape given the age of most things. The carpet tiles in the living room made me laugh for some reason :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The other thing about the Manor Kilbride time capsule is the land adjacent to it is currently being cleared for another house. Likely whoever inherited it is either building in the garden or has sold off a parcel of land and then the original house to make a tidy profit from the whole thing.

It is a lovely and very quiet location, but that figure is (IMHO) between €50k & €100k more than any sane person would shell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

NzA2ZjJiMzVhMmM5MjBkMTRlNjY5MWFhZWMxNTg2NTVl7suE7-RYbcKcxmMAgSRyaHR0cHM6Ly9zMy1ldS13ZXN0LTEuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9tZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1LzgvOS84OTk4YmQzMWQ0ZGQ1YmJjOTg0ZDEzN2ExYTQ2MzgyZC5qcGd8fHwxMjAwfHx8fHx8fA==.webp
    Someone needs to tell that auctioneer that the fish-eye lens is for the internal shots. It looks like it's about to fall down.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

flazio wrote: »
    It's less about the house and more about the people. (Read the description)

https://www.daft.ie/share/dangan-co-galway/3218129

Not for me, the shower only fits one.

What.Now wrote: »
    Not for me, the shower only fits one.

Considering the state I imagine your overly friendly flat mates to be in, that's probably a good thing. Small mercies, and all that.

'You'll recall the house rules, we're environmentally conscious in this house, and that means saving on water. Push over... oh, see the soap down there.'

Grayson wrote: »
    The main reason I'm hesitant about rural houses, besides the fact that I don't drive, is that you have no idea about internet access

According to the fiber roll out map it has FTTH.

Just stick the eircode in here

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Just looking back on the Manor Kilbride house.

That's in fantatic nick. No damp on the outside nor growth on the slates or discolourisation on the exterior walls, chimney nice and straight. And this for a house surrounded by trees. On the inside there's no sign of mould on the walls or ceiling or around the windows.

The furniture and fittings and style aren't just of their time, they're fine example of the period and I'd say if you walked into that house in 1979 you'd think you were in some fancy American uncle's house.

There nice thoughtful touches of design too such as the rounded corners on the shelves as you enter the sitting room from the kitchen.

Hopefully that furniture isn't skipped (as some of it is seriously cool, then and now) and at the very least there's some hipsters shop owners from Camden Street sniffing the jocks off the estate agent.

That's a credit to the builders and to the family and it's so rare to see an example of this style from that era that hasn't been eaten by nature or spontaneously combusted.

I dunno why but for some reason it looks like it might have been a retirement home or retreat house for the likes of Carmalites or some such.
    It's just that the fire extinguisher is sticking out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

humberklog wrote: »
    It's just that the fire extinguisher is sticking out a bit.

And the chairs lined up. It looks like some religious cult committed mass suicide in it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

PommieBast wrote: »
    Some of the pictures really look like they might actually be CGI renderings..

That was my first thought. It looks like a computer game. On the basis of no heated indoor pool, I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

there'll be a rake of enquiries for that house in Manor Kilbride now from boards users

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

PommieBast wrote: »
    Some of the pictures really look like they might actually be CGI renderings..

They're HDR (High Dynamic Range) photos where two or more exposures are combined to create a photo that can show more detail in both dark and bright areas at the same time. It increases the clarity (and allows you to do things like take a photo in the kitchen where behind the island isn't too dark, but still have the bright sky out the windows properly exposed), but it gives an unrealistic look.

lawred2 wrote: »
    there'll be a rake of enquiries for that house in Manor Kilbride now from boards users

Hello, I'd like to put a bid in for the Manor Kilbride house please.

Yes, sir. How much would you like to bid?

Three Fiddy.

Sir, we've already had 7 such bids today.

Ummm. How about Three Fiddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

humberklog wrote: »
    Just looking back on the Manor Kilbride house.

That's in fantatic nick. No damp on the outside nor growth on the slates or discolourisation on the exterior walls, chimney nice and straight. And this for a house surrounded by trees. On the inside there's no sign of mould on the walls or ceiling or around the windows.

Is there damp mould in the yellow bedroom?
    Looks like a leaky bathroom/ceiling in over the kitchen "sitting area"

However its a time capsule of a house. It like going back 30years!
    My first instinct with the lined up chairs was a left over from a wake/funeral.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

coolisin wrote: »

However its a time capsule of a house. It like going back 30years!
    My first instinct with the lined up chairs was a left over from a wake/funeral.

Hmm, yeah maybe.

Also, I'm looking at this house way too much, the place has got a recent lick of paint at least on the ceilings. The kitchen ceiling is spotless and it shouldn't be. If you look at the sitting room off the kitchen it looks like they've actually ran out of paint as above the fire place it isn't finished. You can also see dis-colour showing through from beams above.
    Which brings me onto the attic. That's been cleaned up and re-floored so perhaps the roof isn't 100%.

Still and all a fascinating gaff and well presented.

God I need for this lock down to end and to get back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Here's one I found ages ago and bookmarked solely for one reason. All looks at least somewhat normal, if a bit of an odd layout for the first batch of photos. Then you get to photo 17....

2433 square metres? I somehow think there's an extra 3 in there, or it should have been square feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

EpWPp5a.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 33,949 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

coolisin wrote: »

Picture 22, something very dodgy about that wall.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,208 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

THis was seized by CAB a few weeks ago. (The coving is a give away.)

ZDI3OTQ1YzJlYWUyNWUzNzVmYTExN2JmZGJkN2VlNmE6dbMx2s30VSBD_dOHkBciaHR0cHM6Ly9zMy1ldS13ZXN0LTEuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9tZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1L2QvNi9kNjZlOWNjYTE3MjY4YjAyYWE3NzdiNGRjNGM2Y2U2OC5qcGd8fHwxMjAwfHx8fHx8fA==.webp

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-anfield-manor-upper-ballycasheen-killarney-co-kerry/3217626

Advertisement