Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well given basically everything goes through the MCU it has to have many points of failure.
    Good thing is that replacement MCUs are rock solid so far

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

James May's Tesla Model S has failed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsKwMryKqRE

12v battery

• Registered Users Posts: 21,616 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Thats a very clickbaity headline.

The 12v died because the car was sitting up. Hardly newsworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

His headline not mine

Funny watching him get to the battery though....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,275 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

cannco253 wrote: »
    James May's Tesla Model S has failed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsKwMryKqRE

12v battery

that's a serious design flaw. Bad enough that the 12V battery goes flat but to make you partly dismantle the car to trickle charge it is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

that's a serious design flaw. Bad enough that the 12V battery goes flat but to make you partly dismantle the car to trickle charge it is ridiculous.

Silly title of a vid, loses credibility with that one.
    I can't see his Tesla's front end but with mine (nose cone) there are two jumper connections right at the front of the car that take 10seconds to access should you want to trickle charge or indeed jump the 12v

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭JibJabWibWab

Most people use their car regularly, James has several cars and obviously left the Tesla unused for a long time. It's a non-story.

James says in the video that he leaves the car connected to the charger permanently, when not it use. I thought that was bad for the batteries?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,047 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ELM327 wrote: »
    Thats a very clickbaity headline.

The 12v died because the car was sitting up. Hardly newsworthy.

Happened to me a couple of days ago. It was beyond reviving, so I took the battery out and the kind folks in Halfords replaced it free of charge as it was within the 3 year warranty period

That was in my Porsche BTW...

As you say this will happen in any car that has been sitting up. In fact it is far less likely to happen in a Tesla than in any other car, as Teslas are always awake and regularly check the voltage of the 12V lead acid battery and top up where required. But once a lead acid goes past a certain status, it is very hard to bring it back to useful life. Thankfully within the next decade or so, lead acids in cars will be a thing of the past

Most people use their car regularly, James has several cars and obviously left the Tesla unused for a long time. It's a non-story.

James says in the video that he leaves the car connected to the charger permanently, when not it use. I thought that was bad for the batteries?

so he left it connected while not in use and the 12V battery still died. that is a design flaw.

unkel wrote: »
    Happened to me a couple of days ago. It was beyond reviving, so I took the battery out and the kind folks in Halfords replaced it free of charge as it was within the 3 year warranty period

That was in my Porsche BTW...

As you say this will happen in any car that has been sitting up. In fact it is far less likely to happen in a Tesla than in any other car, as Teslas are always awake and regularly check the voltage of the 12V lead acid battery and top up where required. But once a lead acid goes past a certain status, it is very hard to bring it back to useful life. Thankfully within the next decade or so, lead acids in cars will be a thing of the past

it seems this is not the case

• Advertisement

so he left it connected while not in use and the 12V battery still died. that is a design flaw.

Every car with a 12v battery has the same design flaw...

Honestly, some people :p

Every car with a 12v battery has the same design flaw...

They don't all have 500kg of fully charged batteries in the same car

The 12v battery clearly failed, it happens...

The 12v battery clearly failed, it happens...

clearly? he was trickle charging it so it hasn't failed.

clearly? he was trickle charging it so it hasn't failed.

LOL!

unkel wrote: »
    LOL!

good to see the tesla owners responding so intelligently.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What’s the relevance?
    A dead 12v effects an EV just the same as an ICE.

good to see the tesla owners responding so intelligently.

In fairness to the owners, it’s very simple to do. James overly exaggerated it for a YT clip which is fair enough as he wants it to be entertaining and click bait and attract viewers.

Here’s the simple process in opening it :

https://insideevs.com/news/332311/heres-how-to-open-a-tesla-frunk-without-a-key-w-video/?fbclid=IwAR11hdnUGyjeul-6uflwrgw9Eo9PCrg1ntBBYR3okBXDfiAYLdEBCHuahEA

It takes 10 seconds!

Gumbo wrote: »
    What’s the relevance?
    A dead 12v effects an EV just the same as an ICE.

That's the surprise. a car full of electricity can't keep a tiny battery charged.

• Advertisement

That's the surprise. a car full of electricity can't keep a tiny battery charged.

In the same way a car full of petrol can’t keep a tiny battery charged.

In the same way a car full of petrol can’t keep a tiny battery charged.

the ICE car isn't sitting there constantly monitoring itself. the EV is. if it detects the 12V battery is low why can't it charge it?

the ICE car isn't sitting there constantly monitoring itself. the EV is. if it detects the 12V battery is low why can't it charge it?

Why can’t the ICE car monitor itself?

it doesn't. EV is supposed to be an improvement on ICE

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amdaley28

But its a Tesla.
    Surely its perfect in every way :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It's a legitimate question. An ICE car does not have a source of power to charge the 12v.

it doesn't. EV is supposed to be an improvement on ICE

In some things yes. In others no.
    12v batteries have been going dead in every EV out there. They are under more strain than in an ICE so it’s to be expected if not maintained as it’s a consumable item.

I thought the argument was that it was so hard to charge the battery in one of those Tesla’s but since that’s been proved a fake we have moved on.

In some things yes. In others no.
    12v batteries have been going dead in every EV out there. They are under more strain than in an ICE donuts to be expected.
    but another poster claimed that the EV battery did charge the 12V battery so why would leaving the car sitting there drain the 12V?
    I thought the argument was that it was so hard to charge the battery in one of those Tesla’s but since that’s been proved a fake we have moved on.

if you have to remove trim panels to get to the battery terminals then I would class that as hard to charge. Nothing has been proven fake.

but another poster claimed that the EV battery did charge the 12V battery so why would leaving the car sitting there drain the 12V?

if you have to remove trim panels to get to the battery terminals then I would class that as hard to charge. Nothing has been proven fake.

Have to remove plastic panels in many many cars to access the terminals to charge many many cars. Have to remove half the boot in my 520d to change the battery.

• Advertisement

Have to remove plastic panels in many many cars to access the terminals to charge many many cars. Have to remove half the boot in my 520d to change the battery.

and you don't consider that a design flaw?

Advertisement