Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

Introduced my girlfriend, a non-gamer who could barely use a controller, to Hades yesterday.. Mad into it and getting really good already. Guess my gaming days are over for a while. It helps she loved Greek mythology anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Hades is a genuine masterpiece, not only within it's genre but gaming as a whole. Supergiant have gotten better and better with each game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hades is an invocational game for me; as soon as someone mentions it, I'm like "damnit, I gotta play it now". Deus Ex has been another one, for years now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Deus Ex was the definition of that for a long time, but Hades is definitely up there now. Easily the game of the year last year, and possibly in my top 10 ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Played an hour or two of Hades. Err, what am I missing? It just a dungeon slasher right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭recyclops

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Just finished Soma, Jesus Christ, absolutely incredible. I don't even know what emotion I'm feeling right now, maybe all of them? Anyway, I'm gonna go and lie awake in bed for a few hours and ponder my existence...

Just after picking it up myself for 3 quid, on the eve of Resi Evil Village Im now more excited about this

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Played Soma for an hour or so this morning. Not sure it was the best thing to play just before work :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

What sources do you all get your gaming news from?

For me, Eurogamer and PushSquare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Jordan 199 wrote: »

Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

follow a few different gaming news subreddit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I follow loads, but generally just to scan the headlines. If I see anything of interest I'll head over to reddit. For actual analysis, reports on the industry itself etc, Games Industry Biz is the one I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

steamcommunity, friend activity and library feeds. I think Valve is really onto something, they just need to make it all in one page. They've go the right idea adding one layer of it to the library view. A place to see all your friends/randoms screenshots, reviews, forum posts, game purchases, game updates/notices etc. Feels like early 2000s 'google page' thing or whatever it was called where you added different RSS feeds to make your own internet front page.

gamingonlinux.com Seldomly check it out
    linuxgamecast.com Podcast is gud. Listen to it through antenna pod to skip silence (which is an amazing feature that more things need).
    /v/ Unfiltered game yap.

Few youtube channels too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Has anyone played Moonlighter or In Rays of Light? Both are currently discounted on the PS Store but only until tonight. Wondering if I should get them or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Pretty cool: machine learning used to enhance GTAV to look even more photorealistic; obviously you can get colour grading mods but this also boosts the environmental detail. The video's quite technical.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

There's a good piece on EuroGamer by Chris Bratt (linked below) about the recent External Development Summit panel "Let's Talk About Crunch". The panel itself was partly a response to Bratt's People Make Games' video on outsourcing crunch from a few months back;

EuroGamer article.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,375 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

pixelburp wrote: »
    Pretty cool: machine learning used to enhance GTAV to look even more photorealistic; obviously you can get colour grading mods but this also boosts the environmental detail. The video's quite technical.

I’m not a PC gamer and know nothing about mods and such, is it ever going to be possible to play the game with that imaging processing or is that purely experimental?

It looks stunning to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

pixelburp wrote: »

I remember when Resistance came out at the launch of the PS3, there was some drama about its depiction of some real life church in Manchester, the gammons moaning about it called it 'photorealistic'.

That was a PS3 launch title, this would probably make their heads melt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,937 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Markitron wrote: »
    I remember when Resistance came out at the launch of the PS3, there was some drama about its depiction of some real life church in Manchester, the gammons moaning about it called it 'photorealistic'.

And the weirdest thing is Resistance looked like a PS2 game, a bad PS2 game.

martyos121 wrote: »
    I’m not a PC gamer and know nothing about mods and such, is it ever going to be possible to play the game with that imaging processing or is that purely experimental?

Not sure, didn't look at the project page to see what kind of machine they used to get what looks like a fairly smooth framerate - unless they used recorded game footage, then passed that into the Machine Learning code (which seems simpler, albeit less "game" oriented I suppose)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

martyos121 wrote: »

"Interactive rates" sounds like 15 fps to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    And the weirdest thing is Resistance looked like a PS2 game, a bad PS2 game.

Yeah I remember doing a midnight launch. Running the gauntlet of scumbags trying to rob PS3s to get back to the car. Getting home, getting it all set up and putting on Resistance around 2am and being so underwhelmed I just went to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

PSA that Subnautica: Below Zero releases tomorrow. I slept on the first game way too long, won't be making the same mistake again.

Resi 8, Mass Effect Trilogy and Subnautica BZ in the space of a week. The gaming Gods are being good to us finally.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,937 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PSA that Subnautica: Below Zero releases tomorrow. I slept on the first game way too long, won't be making the same mistake again.

Resi 8, Mass Effect Trilogy and Subnautica BZ in the space of a week. The gaming Gods are being good to us finally.

May is a bad month for my credit card. Add to that the new Earth Defence Force: World Brothers, Famicom Detective Club, Pokemon Snap. It's a great month for games.

Also I just bought GetsuFumaDen: Undying Moon. I'm curious to see what Konami are doing with a deep cut from their past. from a quick go it's a surprisingly polished game for early access and seems like an excellent Dead Cells type game. Looks gorgeous. It has the potential to be amazing. So that's another to add to the list of May games.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Also I just bought GetsuFumaDen: Undying Moon. I'm curious to see what Konami are doing with a deep cut from their past. from a quick go it's a surprisingly polished game for early access and seems like an excellent Dead Cells type game. Looks gorgeous. It has the potential to be amazing. So that's another to add to the list of May games.

Oh that's looks interesting. Movement seems a bit slow, and I really don't like the way a lot of Japanese games like to fill the screen with effects and words, but if it ever comes to PS5 I may give it a go.

Also, can someone tell me how Nintendo are getting all these games along with PC? PC I understand, but a lot come out on the Switch before any other platform, if at all (Hades being another recent one).

Oh that's looks interesting. Movement seems a bit slow, and I really don't like the way a lot of Japanese games like to fill the screen with effects and words, but if it ever comes to PS5 I may give it a go.

Also, can someone tell me how Nintendo are getting all these games along with PC? PC I understand, but a lot come out on the Switch before any other platform, if at all (Hades being another recent one).

Movement is actually really smooth, it's not slow at all. The gore effects obscuring enemy attacks is an issue though so hopefully they can be telegraphed better. But so far it plays great. Also I didn't realise it but the original game is included with emulation by M2. Fantastic little bonus as the original is a real forgotten gem on the Famicom.

Nintendo are rocking an underpowered platform and know it but they know the strengths of the system, it's portable. So they are making a big push and funding an awful lot of indie games and paying for timed exclusivity. It's strange but welcoming to see Nintendo being so open to small developers. Sony completely ignores indies (I've heard some describe them as 'hostile' in their indifference) while Microsoft have eased off on supporting interesting indie projects in the last few years after being one of the best so it's great to see Nintendo really pushing indie gaming and putting a lot of money into the indie eco-system.

Saying that Sony is trying to make an effort again since July last year but it could end up like the last few times and it falls by the wayside. Unfortunately when Sony are on top they can be outright obnoxious.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know at one point indie devs commented on how they believe they lost out on sales on Playstation due to people waiting for the game to be part of PSPlus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Same could be said of MS now with Gamepass. Nintendo are the only ones that don't have such a service (I believe), but with no competition as such, they rarely lower their prices so they have it locked down in fairness. Happy to hear they're big into helping indie devs, and their games do suit the platform in fairness. I'm really gonna have to get a Switch at some stage, been holding out for the Switch 2 which is still not announced but imminent (for a couple of years now).

There's great sales on the Switch, it's just Nintendo first party games that don't get reduced as much. But then again when pretty much every best selling game of the last 5 years is yours why would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Weird stock levels for these games (only checked PlayStation). Subnautica was out of stock in Argos and smyths and out of 3 Gamestops, only 1 had 1 copy left which i managed to order.

Mass effect is out of stock in Argos and Gamestop but plenty in smyths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Is there a controller that works with both an xBox One and a Nintendo Switch?

When I search Amazon or Google it only shows controllers for each or that I need a dongle.

Advertisement