Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Hair booked for later in the month, can't wait. :)
    Work night out planned for the first Friday in June.
    Currently looking up holidays for August, just a couple of nights in the country somewhere would do nicely!

Everyone in my family has had their first vaccine too, and they are all well so far, so that is a relief.

I hope this is the last time that we are discussing post-lockdown plans. I really do!!
    jellybear wrote: »
    Getting my second dose of Pfizer on Saturday :D
    Oh great news. :D
    Three people in my workplace are now vaccinated too, it's all getting very real that this is actually really happening!
    Omg your poor broken finger. 7 weeks in a splint, plus physio, ooouch.

Folks had a most vivid dream last night of Christmas Eve and it was absolutely pelting down with snow! Winter wonderland type scenes
    That all sounds fantastic. What a lovely dream, I'm very jealous. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Loughc wrote: »
    So does anyone have any exciting plans now that lockdown is slowly coming to an end?

Visiting my parents for the first time since Christmas this Sat, they are 50 years married that day :)

That is fantastic! \o/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Visiting my parents for the first time since Christmas this Sat, they are 50 years married that day :)

Love news like this :D

• Advertisement

Loving all the good news and positivity! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

So does anyone have any exciting plans now that lockdown is slowly coming to an end?

Going out for a meal with other half, happy so we are not cook/waiter/pot cleaner :D

My folks are 50 years married in Sept. Going to have first big family get together since all this started. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,192 ✭✭✭✭DvB

My mum n dads 50th anniversary was last July so we weren't able to celebrate it at all. We've a lot of making up to do when all this nonsense is over. Just hope its all over & done with next year, couple of big events in the family coming up in 2022!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

BTW, great to see a few more posts appearing in here again, had gotten v.quiet recently.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    BTW, great to see a few more posts appearing in here again, had gotten v.quiet recently.

Yep, was great to see 4 bold threads this morning when I logged in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Getting my hair done on Saturday...I actually can't wait :D

I'm also super jealous of everyone with their vaccines :P I'm in the high risk category and I'm still none the wiser on when I'll get mine...GP told me it'll be a while yet :(

Friends of mine in their 50's have started getting their vaccines this week. Great to see, just miss out on the current bracket unfortunately seeing as i'm hanging on to my 40's by my fingernails now... :D

Have been advised that the next bracket isn't far from being called to register so theres a fairly solid chance I could be fully vaccinated before the end of June now which would be fantastic as I had been expecting August/September initially.

Friends of mine in their 50's have started getting their vaccines this week. Great to see, just miss out on the current bracket unfortunately seeing as i'm hanging on to my 40's by my fingernails now... :D

Have been advised that the next bracket isn't far from being called to register so theres a fairly solid chance I could be fully vaccinated before the end of June now which would be fantastic as I had been expecting August/September initially.

Hearing the same, things seem to be really ramping up so expect to done by mid/late summer (a few years younger that, not many though:D) and had Sept/Oct in my head a month ago.

TRS30 wrote: »
    Hearing the same, things seem to be really ramping up so expect to done by mid/late summer (a few years younger that, not many though:D) and had Sept/Oct in my head a month ago.

Yeah, with the increased confidence in delivery of the vaccinations from the pharma industry it seems that the initial estimates were conservative, so its looking like(fingers crossed) we'll be ahead of schedule.

Hearing great stuff going on in the background about huge easing of restrictions re: hospitality & attending sports events, concerts etc for July if things continue at the current rates so we may get a normal christmas 2021 yet!!

Wouldn't that be wonderful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

It'd be just amazing wouldn't it...it's actually just the kids stuff that I'm bothered about...the nights out etc don't bother me (I'm too tired these days anyway :P) but I'd love to have the school Christmas concert and the carol service

CheerLouth wrote: »
    It'd be just amazing wouldn't it...it's actually just the kids stuff that I'm bothered about...the nights out etc don't bother me (I'm too tired these days anyway :P) but I'd love to have the school Christmas concert and the carol service

Agree. As much as I enjoy the odd night out in the run up its the family stuff I enjoy the most. And with the kids up for another trip to causey farm (suspect it'll be the last) i most definitely want that to happen so we can make a real day of it & take loads of photos etc.

The kids school concert, choir & carol services are all something I'd love to get to do again this year too... as much as we made the most of last christmas it wasn't ideal so anything close enough to normal would be fitting for the most wonderful time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm getting my hair done next Wednesday.6 months of roots shall finally be gone!
    In the process of buying a house so I'm dying to get in and look at furniture when she shops re open.I know I could book appointments before but I prefer to browse without any pressure.

Estate agent was on today to clear up some points and said the sellers are eager to go at the end of this month/start of June. A productive part of the pandemic coming into play!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

^^^very best of luck with the new house . Hoping everything goes as stress free as possible.

The thoughts of being able to bring the kids to see Santa again is brilliant. The big family get togethers, Santa visits and kids shows/concerts are what I missed most last Christmas. Would be amazing to have all that back this year.

I was thinking there would be no sign of a vaccine for my age group until the end of the year, so I've been pleasantly surprised by the amount administered this last month or so! :)

A somewhat normal Christmas would be amazing. \o/

I think after everything reopening last year and the optimism of last summer followed by the disaster of a second wave in September and 8 months of lockdown, I'm actually afraid to get my hopes up.

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »

A somewhat normal Christmas would be amazing. \o/

I think after everything reopening last year and the optimism of last summer followed by the disaster of a second wave in September and 8 months of lockdown, I'm actually afraid to get my hopes up.

I understand where you're coming from Posy. I'm at the stage however where I need to look forward positively and not contemplate more of this... in saying that I'm genuinely excited that this looks like we might be getting to the point where life beyond covid is in sight.

I understand where you're coming from Posy. I'm at the stage however where I need to look forward positively and not contemplate more of this... in saying that I'm genuinely excited that this looks like we might be getting to the point where life beyond covid is in sight.

Is the first time that I have felt there is light at the end of the tunnel, which in itself is enough to keep me going at the minute.

Is the first time that I have felt there is light at the end of the tunnel, which in itself is enough to keep me going at the minute.

Exactly.

Its quite refreshing to hear the people in prominent positions talking less cautiously & more optimistically these days... and with optics being high on their agenda you can be sure that the news is good in the background if they're publicly speaking this way.

Exactly.

Its quite refreshing to hear the people in prominent positions talking less cautiously & more optimistically these days... and with optics being high on their agenda you can be sure that the news is good in the background if they're publicly speaking this way.

You certainly hope so. Obviously we only hear what they want us to hear and would be a disaster if due to political/public pressure they are opening up too soon ala Christmas and we are in a bad place come autumn/winter. I don't think this is the case you would think they learnt their lesson last time.

You certainly hope so. Obviously we only hear what they want us to hear and would be a disaster if due to political/public pressure they are opening up too soon ala Christmas and we are in a bad place come autumn/winter. I don't think this is the case you would think they learnt their lesson last time.

Reading across multiple sources it appears the vaccines are working better in the field than expected, especially with respect to transmission, so its startig to look like the vaccines are the matchwinner we hoped for!

Its quite refreshing to hear the people in prominent positions talking less cautiously & more optimistically these days
    Once I hear NPHET et al being cautiously optimistic I know it's a good sign, because I know health is their only priority and that they're not just trying to look good/win votes/have an agenda.

Between first doses and fully vaccinated, we should be hitting 2 million vaccines by the end of the week. It's amazing, especially because we were slow enough getting started! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Agreed - they are flying through the vaccines now. All being equal we should have a fairly normal Christmas this year:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'm in the next decade due to be able to register but who knows when that will open. Reading that Astra Zeneca and J&J will be opened up to 35+. I'd love the J&J one dose vaccine but of all the vaccines out there the one I least want is AZ as it's 12 weeks between doses (Pfizer and Moderna are 4 weeks).

Been a big week for me, I'll share when I can ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

My parents are in their 70's and getting their second doses tomorrow.
    I can't wait.I'm not being reckless with my contacts but I'll feel less paranoid once they're covered.

I bought two of these bars from Sweet living Kilkenny to celebrate it.
    https://www.sweetliving.ie/product/new-congrats-any-name-youre-vaccinated/

They sent two sample squares of chocolate in the box so I can vouch for the taste test!

Plus my exams finish tomorrow.All round it'll be a productive Friday!

• Advertisement

That's good to hear, Aisling.
    Best of luck with the end of your exams tomorrow!

Ooh, Caranica- hope all is good with you. :)

I'd love to get just one dose! If I'm vaccinated before July I'd only need one anyway because it'll be less than 6 months after having a positive test result, so that would probably be enough. Doubt I'll be that lucky though!

Advertisement