Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Mobile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭dohouch

I can post here , using hotspot, but fast.com says 52Kbps

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 6,594 ✭✭✭deezell

dohouch wrote: »
    I can post here , using hotspot, but fast.com says 52Kbps

Just tried that. 19Mbs on the phone, 7.8 Mbs on the laptop tethered to it. That would do fine in a power cut, which happens here frequently (e.g. day before yesterday, 4 hours). I have a genny anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

A possible workaround for hotspot problems is WiFi direct. It's a peer to peer protocol for connecting devices over WiFi without an access point.

One of the devices generates it's own SSID that the other device sees as an access point but it's not the normal hotspot SSID.

Whereas hotspot is a hierarchical protocol, WiFi direct is peer to peer....a bit like Bluetooth but with WiFi speeds.

Whether it works as hoped might depend on hardware. It's in the advanced menu in WiFi settings in android. Both devices need to support it (unfortunately iOS doesn't support WiFi direct).

For anyone with hotspot problems, is Bluetooth or USB tethering working? Have you an older Android (<7) to see if hotspot problem remains?

PM may well say they don't support hotspot but actively blocking it is a different issue.....IMO it warrants a formal complaint....even if Comreg probably won't do much about it.

PM put a notice on the data settings page that indicated they were working on getting iPhone hotspot working....they never said they were going to break Android hotspot....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

deezell wrote: »
    Maybe just deleting supl is sufficient, just leave default. It's not clear how the protocols affect connectivity, other than dun is a legacy protocol to make the phone serve like a Dial Up Network, which is sort of what tethering is.

My settings are default, supl

TheDriver wrote: »
    My settings are default, supl
    I assume people are trying to hotspot the phone 4g network data, not the phones Wi-Fi connection data. Try turning off phone Wi-Fi before turning on hotspot. After all. If your WiFi is OK, you wouldn't need to hotspot to another device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭dohouch

Oh my,my. My postfone hotspot is flying again. This morning 17Kbs, now hitting 54Mbs. Been aa long day

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

I assume people are trying to hotspot the phone 4g network data, not the phones Wi-Fi connection data. Try turning off phone Wi-Fi before turning on hotspot. After all. If your WiFi is OK, you wouldn't need to hotspot to another device.

IME hotspot and wifi can't operate simultaneously on android....activate one and the other deactivates.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    IME hotspot and wifi can't operate simultaneously on android....activate one and the other deactivates.
    I don't think that's true. You can share the phones's Wi-Fi on it's Hotspot, it's called WiFi sharing.

I don't think that's true. You can share the phones's Wi-Fi on it's Hotspot, it's called WiFi sharing.

Is that via the icons on the main pull down menu or via WiFi settings?

IME, if using the pull down menu, WiFi on turns hotspot off and vice versa.

view?usp=drivesdk
    Ten Pin wrote: »
    Is that via the icons on the main pull down menu or via WiFi settings?

IME, if using the pull down menu, WiFi on turns hotspot off and vice versa.

Via the menu, 'Connections/Mobile Hotspot and Tethering/Mobile Hotspot/(top right three dots for settings)/Wi-Fi Sharing'
    Turning this on hotspots the phones wi-fi.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/139W41QI6FICmDh5b2YLwppsw54_diAJB/view?usp=drivesdk

• Advertisement

On a different topic, the Vodafone/Postmobile network has Voice over LTE capability, basically using your LTE data connection for crystal clear voice calls instead of the GSM voice channel. If your phone has 'VoLTE Calls' setting in 'Connections/Mobile Networks', turn it on and try it. I just upgraded my phone, S7 to an S9, and it has this setting, supported by Vodafone. During a power failure when I called ESB, the clarity of the bot's voice was amazing, I'm so used to stuttery mobile sound quality response when my power/voip landline is down.

I noticed when restarting my phone it was slow to find the Postmobile network, perhaps 10 -15 minutes, this was far worse with the new phone, requiring several rei-insertions of the SIM card to wake it up. I suspected a dodgy card, as a borrowed Tesco SIM worked instantly. I contacted support by email, they replied same day and said go to post office for a 'faulty sim replacement' I did, and the assistant there and then provisioned a new sim with my number, the old one went dead instantly, one paperclip later to swap them out and reboot, problem solved.
    Full marks to anPost/Postmobile customer support. Walk in and engage with a real human, who was trained enough to carry out the switch on the spot, yet not disprupt my account, etc, then go back to flogging stamps, registering letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

What's the story with UK and NI roaming? Is it considered EU in terms of allowance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

TheDriver wrote: »
    What's the story with UK and NI roaming? Is it considered EU in terms of allowance?

Can't say for sure but I didn't run out when I was in the UK for 2 weeks about a month ago. Still using what is left of the internet allowance.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

hello
    i ported over this morning to anpost from vodafone , cant seem to set up my voicemail 171 , anyone know why?
    problem resolved its working now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭briancannon18

Postmobile doing first month free, when port from another network again, then 15 per month, might be of interest for those depending on Vodafone coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dannijuno

ha anyone put an post mobile sim into a 4G router and used it as mobile broadband?

dannijuno wrote: »
    ha anyone put an post mobile sim into a 4G router and used it as mobile broadband?

It's for mobile use, not broadband, 🙈🙉

It's for mobile use, not broadband, &#55357;&#56904;&#55357;&#56905;

So you can't get data on your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

dannijuno wrote: »

I’m sure you can but the 50GB FUP is a bit limiting to be using it in that way

• Advertisement

daraghwal wrote: »
    I’m sure you can but the 50GB FUP is a bit limiting to be using it in that way

But there would be plenty of reasons for doing so even with the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

How long does it take to port over when you purchase a sim in the post office?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bronkobilly

daraghwal wrote: »
    How long does it take to port over when you purchase a sim in the post office?
    Mine took 20 minutes the other day to port over to postmobile after bin in the post office

Anyone know if post mobile still do addons, like vodafone where you can buy 5gb add on for 5e, etc. I know they did previously, but can't find any info now!?

Anyone know if post mobile still do addons, like vodafone where you can buy 5gb add on for 5e, etc. I know they did previously, but can't find any info now!?

Login to myPostmobile.ie, topup/quick topup, or
    https://www.anpost.com/Mobile/Top-up-Online
    then select topup amount, 0.5, 1, 3 or 6.5 Gb, for €3, 5, 10 or €20 respectively. Far better to to just topup by €15, to restart your bundle, effectively 50Mb for €15, at least that's what it implies. "Top up amount:
    Bundle will be applied with top up where applicable"

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bronkobilly

If I have put 15 euro on it and put another 15 euro on nothing happens till the monthis up then your 15 euro is taken for the new month

If I have put 15 euro on it and put another 15 euro on nothing happens till the monthis up then your 15 euro is taken for the new month

And if your 50GB is used up before the existing month is up, does it just leave you without Data till the start of the new month even if you topup by €15? Seems odd. €15 will only buy 4Gb of topup data,

And if your 50GB is used up before the existing month is up, does it just leave you without Data till the start of the new month even if you topup by €15? Seems odd. €15 will only buy 4Gb of topup data,

5eur buys 5gb addon on Vodafone, which is much better, price wise, this is a great addon if u dont want/need unlimited calls and texts, every month, and your a relatively light data user, just buy 5gb for a fiver and your sorted for 28days,

5eur buys 5gb addon on Vodafone, which is much better, price wise, this is a great addon if u dont want/need unlimited calls and texts, every month, and your a relatively light data user, just buy 5gb for a fiver and your sorted for 28days,

How would you be sorted for 28 days? You would still have to topup with a minimum of £20 (cheapest Vodafone PAYG plan), when your plan 28 days expired, the data topup doesn't extend this, else we'd all just top up every 28 for a fiver to keep our phone alive. 5Gb would be more than I'd use in a month, great if I could get a plan for this for €5 per 4 weeks.

• Advertisement

How would you be sorted for 28 days? You would still have to topup with a minimum of £20 (cheapest Vodafone PAYG plan), when your plan 28 days expired, the data topup doesn't extend this, else we'd all just top up every 28 for a fiver to keep our phone alive. 5Gb would be more than I'd use in a month, great if I could get a plan for this for €5 per 4 weeks.

There is no requirement to top up your 20euro plan every 28days, unless you're dependent on plan benefits, buying an addon will also last 28days, ie 5gb for 5euro, 100min for 5eur! If this is all you need, why topup by 20 for extras that will not be used, I've been using it like this for past few months with no issues. It's a major advantage of Vodafone payg! No bills, direct debits, just buy what you need ,

Advertisement