Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

Lying snow on the Dublin mountains right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

August is always terrible, so the window is pretty narrow, but I don't mind putting up with this for another few weeks if we get a few weeks of decent summer.
    weather.
    Some really low cloud today, some of the cloud smoky black, with intermittent showers. This is the kind of weather I usually associate with July and August only a few degrees warmer!

I haven't looked at the stats to back up my opinion so maybe I'm talking s... but I think August has become more and more Autumnal in recent years. Seems like they were better overall 10+ years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    I haven't looked at the stats to back up my opinion so maybe I'm talking s... but I think August has become more and more Autumnal in recent years. Seems like they were better overall 10+ years ago.

This is from August 2019 I took it from Baggot St but I remember it being day after day of this stuff. Today had a lot of this black cloud where I am.

hellavision.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Feck it's cold out there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Tyrone212 wrote: »

Waiting on 1991-2020 averages to come for the Republic in July. In terms of Northern Ireland (N.I.) from the stats I've gathered, going from 1981-2010 to 1991-2020, it seems N.I. has had slightly warmer summers (very small difference in both mean max and mean min), wetter summers with June and July seeing a fairly significant increase and sunshine has stayed the same. I was kind of surprised with not seeing more of an increase in mean min and a decrease in sunshine because to me it seems we have had cloudier summers resulting in less of a temperature drop overnight. The Northern Ireland data seems to say no to this.

It should be noted though that if I take Augusts of the 1990s out of the equation, there has been a reduction in sunshine. The 1990s tended to feature an abnormal run of warm Augusts although not all were dry - like the exceptional humid and very warm August of 1997 was extremely wet in the south. Of course, August 1995 stands out big time breaking all kinds of warm, dry and sunshine records. Junes weren't the greatest for the most part in the 1990s with 1990, 1991, 1993, 1997, 1998 and 1999 all being quite or very poor whilst Julys were very mixed. You could say the 1990s favoured more 'backloaded summers' compared to the 2010s which featured a fair few front-loaded ones. I have mentioned before that it seems since this run of somewhat better Augusts from around 1989/90 to 2003, we've had our fair share of mundane, often boring or very dull and zonal wet Augusts with 2010 being the driest and sunniest of the lot but on the cool side.

The only 1991-2020 stats I have to compare in the Republic is sunshine for Dublin Airport which July saw a big reduction from 81-10 to 91-20, almost 10 hour loss. June has seen an increase whilst August has seen a decrease but not as large as July. I am intrigued to see how the trends are for other places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

While its a cool night out its a beautiful night out, still blue skies out west here in Castlebar. perfect night for watching out for meteors after.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Augusts can often be cloudy (and very humid) but from a weather lovers point of view, it also is most volatile of all the summer months. And something I have noticed is that the evening twilights during the 2nd half of the month are weirdly beautiful and 'lingering', much more so than their pre-solstice equivalents.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭appledrop

The only way to describe weather over past few days is mad.

It's sunny, then lashing rain, then hailstones, then sunny etc and very cold for May.

Now I have to say its not bothering me too much at the moment because I'm hoping it's going to be followed by nice weather in summer!

Spring so far has been exceptionally dry here at DA. In fact nearly an exact replica of last Mar & Apr with only 32mm and 10mm of rain. We then had a very dry May in 2020 which was followed by a wash out summer with 70mm in June, 99mm in July and 87mm in August.

I dont want a repeat of that so I'll happily take more rain in May if it means nice weather on June!

August is always a wash out in Dublin and I always refer to it as autumn weather wise.I got married in August and yes you guessed it rained on the day! In normal times we go abroad in August and always raining when we leave DA and we come home.

One year we actually came in to DA and everywhere around was flooded! Couldn't believe what we were seeing when plane came into land.

Whole place shut down and no taxis coming in or out or public transport. We had too wait two hours for family member to be able to pick us up.

No doubt someone here will figure out what year that was!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭lolie

The planet Mercury is visible now low on the horizon looking West northwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Have gotten away with murder here in West Clare seemingly. Completely dry today, despite a number of nearby showers, it seems to have been a trend lately. Other than the weather system that passed over on Sunday/Monday, most days have only 1/2 small showers, if any, whereas other areas nearby have been much wetter.

Despite the cool temperatures, the may sun is nice and warm, so it can be quite pleasant out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

While its a cool night out its a beautiful night out, still blue skies out west here in Castlebar. perfect night for watching out for meteors after.

It certainly was a lovely evening sky out there Oscar Bravo with a nice lingering twilight and it definitely was a cool one. Was out along the banks of the River Moy this eve and it felt like an evening in early March.
    Temperature read 2c when I got back to the car at 9.45pm. I see that Casement registered 1c in the 10pm reports with a number of other stations at 2c.
    Not a bad day here at all once the early showers died off but I personally wouldn't mind seeing a bit of warmth returning and some bit of nature coming into these May evenings.

River Moy, Co. Mayo this eve.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=552375&stc=1&d=1620252088

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

As peaceful a night as ever was out here. Not a whisper of wind. Just a deep, sweet silence. All is calm and at ease.

Oh yesterday the midges were swarming. Hordes of them. but there are bees too and so many butterflies .

Summer is waiting in the wings to make a shining sun- robed entrance..

But tonight; peace that is far, far more than the absence of noise. A powerful presence.

West Mayo offshore.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mount Dillon and Mullingar both reporting -3c at 0500.

Mt Dillion -4 at 6am!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭zell12

brrrrrrr on 6th May 2021
    zJ48Diw.png

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭alentejo

Dont think I have ever seen as thick a frost in Dublin in May! More like a January morning

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

alentejo wrote: »
    Dont think I have ever seen as thick a frost in Dublin in May! More like a January morning

It is the same out here. The grass is white with it. The field at the back is a magnificent sight .. and the mirroring flat calm ocean beyond it a shining tranquillity.

But shivery!

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

alentejo wrote: »

yes this is the frostiest and iciest May morning I've ever seen. I can see snow on the mountains, again I've never personally seen this in May. I think we're on 4 air frosts so far this month but I'll have to check later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

All my Summer bedding plants are in my shed at night. Normally they are out day & night by now. Gardeners nightmare!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭highdef

Overnight low of -2.7° in North kildare. Slightly less cold than the -3° the night before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

This golf club is next door to Casement.

552384.jpg

Temperature fell to at least -2.9C in Mullingar this morning, its second lowest May temperature on record. It set its record of -3.2C on 12 May last year.

EDIT: It got down to -3.3C so a new record for second year running!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭pauldry

Might only last a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Temperature fell to at least -2.9C in Mullingar this morning, its second lowest May temperature on record. It set its record of -3.2C on 12 May last year.

EDIT: It got down to -3.3C so a new record for second year running!

Was the -3.8C? at Mt Dillon confirmed and how does it stand in the May records?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭pauldry

Glenties in Donegal is lowest ever at -5.6c

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Was the -3.8C? at Mt Dillon confirmed and how does it stand in the May records?

Where did you get this -3.8C figure?

If it is definitely -3.8C which will be confirmed later or tomorrow morning I'd have thought, it would be a new record for Mt Dillon. Previous record was -3.2C on 14 May 2020. Keep in mind, Mt Dillon has only been recording temperature since 2004. In terms of a national standpoint, here's how it stands with some of the coldest figures of past 40 years.

-3.8C 06 May 2012 (Thomastown (Mt Juliet)
    -3.7C 04 May 1996 (Straide)
    -3.2C 14 May 2020 (Mt Dillon)
    -3.2C 12 May 2020 (Mullingar)
    -3.1C 05 May 2019 (Mt Dillon)

So a remarkably low figure but not a national record as Pauldry pointed out with Glenties observing -5.6C during the exceptional cold spell of early May 1979 which produced snowfalls for some following on from a very snowy and severe winter.

Met eireann stats reported -4 at Mt. Dillion at 6am.

Now as we know could be out slightly but it will be near enough to this.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

appledrop wrote: »

Could be anywhere between -3.5c and -4.5c.

appledrop wrote: »

That's rounded. I was wondering where they got -3.8C from, as Mt Dillon isn't on the synop or observation sites I usually check to get an early exact value from although even they can be off sometimes.

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote: »
    That's rounded. I was wondering where they got -3.8C from, as Mt Dillon isn't on the synop or observation sites I usually check to get an early exact value from although even they can be off sometimes.

I know yeah it will be tomorrow before we have official figures.

Sometimes Met Eireann also puts up stats on twitter.

Advertisement