Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

Went up early to the Dublin mountains this morning, winter wonderland scenes around Two Rock and Tibradden, proper powdery snow on the ground and on the trees. Just surreal seeing this in May (rare even in winter months!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Where did you get this -3.8C figure?

On the UK Met Office 'WOW' page, they have Mt. Dillon's min as -3.8c also. Slight chance it could be an nth lower than this on tomorrow's met reports, but these half hour reports generally give a pretty good idea:

Et1Ouzk.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I've never really understood this 'April showers' thing, because that implies that showers are exclusive to April. I think most of us, in the west at least, would agree that showers are a year wide occurrence, with the most brutish of them tending to occur in the winter months.

I'd argue that November/December is prime shower season in the west & NW. It's usually when the Atlantic is at its most active and we get cold polar maritime NW'erlies over the still warm sea leading to heavy showers piling in off the Atlantic before dying out further east.

In April the showers tend to form in cool west or NW winds with land based convection so are at max strength over the south & eastern half of the country while around here at least we typically just see a few brief bursts of hail or light rain

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Such a beautiful day here near Tralee . Just some Cumulus floating by on a cool light N'ly breeze

11.0C atm, low of 0.5C with frost on the car windscreen this morning. Great visibility today and RH down to 58%

Pic early afternoon

WHTRxkI.jpg?1

https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/

oApl7JD.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I have the day off and it's actually very nice in the back garden once the sun is out. When it goes in, well, that's an entirely different story. Still, it's been dry all day so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

Beautiful here in East Clare (when the sun doesn't hide behind the clouds)sunscreen on...

I'd argue that November/December is prime shower season in the west & NW. It's usually when the Atlantic is at its most active and we get cold polar maritime NW'erlies over the still warm sea leading to heavy showers piling in off the Atlantic before dying out further east.

In April the showers tend to form in cool west or NW winds with land based convection so are at max strength over the south & eastern half of the country while around here at least we typically just see a few brief bursts of hail or light rain

Pretty much sums it up, though here in S. Connacht, it would be more an airflow that is south of west that brings in the brutes during the winter period, and relatively dry weather (under showery airflows) in the late spring and summer period.

Back to the current weather, and I really wish that unrelenting wind would feck off. Takes the joy out of what is an otherwise fine day.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Early today; everyday drama of a rainbow striving against dark clouds …Mayo skies over ocean are awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

That's rounded. I was wondering where they got -3.8C from, as Mt Dillon isn't on the synop or observation sites I usually check to get an early exact value from although even they can be off sometimes.

MT mentioned it this morning as well as Carlow Weather on Twitter.

FWIW its 1.5C colder now than at the same time yesterday so perhaps some more station records for May will be broken tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

5c in Sligo currently. Was 3.4c this time yesterday. Mt Dillon might go -3 to -4c again and Mullingar or Dunsany

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

pauldry wrote: »
    5c in Sligo currently. Was 3.4c this time yesterday. Mt Dillon might go -3 to -4c again and Mullingar or Dunsany

At my location in North kildare, it was sub zero shortly after 23:00 last night. Currently it's 0.5° so trending higher at this point in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Had a shower of sleet a while ago. Temperature increased.

-2.4c in Gurteen the lowest I see so it's getting "warmer"

A dazzling morning out here.

Blue. blue skies. Still air, birdsong.
    Flowerbuds opening; green shoots brightening dark earth.

Blue, blue ocean, Sheer sunlit bliss..

All is forgiven.... Peace....

West Mayo offshore.

-4.0c at Mt. Dillon yesterday morning confirmed by Met.ie.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

-4.0c at Mt. Dillon yesterday morning confirmed by Met.ie.

Possibly the joint lowest May temperature in Ireland since 1979. Seen a -4.0C at Lullymore (Kildare) on 13 May 1984.

met.ie page has gone very gaudy!

I gather we just have the rest of today so lovely..

Enjoy... Calm and sunny out here, and totally breathtaking beauty. I have flowers emerging hour by hour. Lifting their bright faces to the warmth and light. As we do!

west mayo offshore

Possibly the joint lowest May temperature in Ireland since 1979. Seen a -4.0C at Lullymore (Kildare) on 13 May 1984.

I was watching 'GavsWeatherVids' the other day, and he mentioned that there has been a slight decline (but still within a firm larger scale warming trend) in the CET over the last year or so and what is interesting is that a similar trend is ongoing over here. The 365 day running deviation (from 81-10) is right back down to zero again after peaking at almost +0.9c in early May 2019, which itself was a bounce up from a previous cooler period that troughed in the Spring of 2018.

New Moon

Was looking for a pdf doc I know I have somewhere that talks about shower distribution in Ireland and came across this gif from this period in May 10 years ago.

VSyxhBB.gif

Showers must have been big that day for me to do up that gif like that but can't remember it now at all. :o

Edit: Doc attached that discusses shower distribution over Ireland and the UK: (was sent to me a few years back by a former poster 'Fionagus'.)

New Moon

Yeah there seems to be a persistent cool pool in the Atlantic but also this past few months much of Europe has had cool weather and didnt Australia have a poor Summer too?

Is there a La Nina going on?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Bit milder today getting up to 14.9C at my site aided by the SE'ly breeze, back now to 10.9C. Has gotten increasingly cloudy throughout the day, nice frosty clear start and cirrostratus building from mid morning giving a milky blue sky up until mid afternoon and cloud now down to Alto stratus level. RH very low again today down to 50%

Pic : South Kerry near Kenmare early afternoon.

KYw9txh.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Same here just outside Castlebar. Sunshine more milky now with high cloud ahead of the front. Nice evening though!

Bit milder today getting up to 14.9C at my site aided by the SE'ly breeze, back now to 10.9C. Has gotten increasingly cloudy throughout the day, nice frosty clear start and cirrostratus building from mid morning giving a milky blue sky up until mid afternoon and cloud now down to Alto stratus level. RH very low again today down to 50%

Pic : South Kerry near Kenmare early afternoon.

KYw9txh.jpg?1

Nice capture. For some reason, your photo reminds me of this painting by Ivan Shishkin that is simply called 'Oak Trees'. (from the 1880s)

pdRmZND.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Much milder tonight, Belmullet and Newport currently 10 degrees.

Audible wind-talk. Gusty, and no malice in the night.

There is something so comforting about being snug inside when the wind is rising outside.

And wondrously mild after recent times.

Nice capture. For some reason, your photo reminds me of this painting by Ivan Shishkin that is simply called 'Oak Trees'. (from the 1880s)

Thanks Oneric 3 , Nice picture you posted and yes even though different pictures , to me both convey a sense of unhurriedness and though the landscape may not be perfect for farming in both , the cattle at rest under and by the trees give a sense of being at ease with their lot and not only taking shade from the trees but maybe being comforted by them also. Maybe a bit of a metaphor about life in there :)

I had my lunch roll looking at the scene I photographed and it just seemed to cap off a good weeks holiday, it's always when coming to the end of a break that you begin to truly unwind .

Pablo Picasso said “Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life '', a bit like the moderate to heavy rain now :D, hope I get about 10mm accumulation tonight for the ponds, at 3.8mm so far.

Thanks Oneric 3 , Nice picture you posted and yes even though different pictures , to me both convey a sense of unhurriedness and though the landscape may not be perfect for farming in both , the cattle at rest under and by the trees give a sense of being at ease with their lot and not only taking shade from the trees but maybe being comforted by them also. Maybe a bit of a metaphor about life in there :)

I had my lunch roll looking at the scene I photographed and it just seemed to cap off a good weeks holiday, it's always when coming to the end of a break that you begin to truly unwind .

Pablo Picasso said “Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life '', a bit like the moderate to heavy rain now :D, hope I get about 10mm accumulation tonight for the ponds, at 3.8mm so far.

Lovely to see and share in so much pleasure in the weather now. Thank you. Today I just pottered contentedly in the mild sunny glory of it;at ease with the world

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Any danger of this front clearing the east coast by 4.30am?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Larbre34 wrote: »

Very little but why is it a danger if it clears before that time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

Larbre34 wrote: »

I was going to get up and run a hill for Pieta house, the wind is howling and rain lashing down in East Clare !!
    I'll see in 3hours !!

Advertisement