Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a small aside, and merely an irritation, but the American writing trope of angling everything as about "family" is past tedium. And then when stories ARE about actual, biological families, it's all conflict and divorces :D

I still can't rationalise how the director of "Nomadland" was tasked with directing a MCU film. It's ... bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Have to say that made me smile. It's Marvel schmaltz but they always manage to deliver it in a genuine manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Penn wrote: »
    New MCU video with release dates for Phase 4 movies

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1389203088498585600?s=20

Includes:
    First clips from The Eternals
    Black Panther 2 will be called Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
    Captain Marvel 2 will be called The Marvels (the S at the end of the logo is Ms.Marvel's symbol so looks like she'll be a big part of it too)
    And Fantastic Four symbol at the end too but they already announced that previously.

So, 4 movies this year, from July to December, and 4 movies next year.
    2 so far, announced, for 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Stan Lee hitting me right in the Feels

Youtube version:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,832 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Anytime I hear the Marvel logo music (played through the new stuff in this video) it just reminds me of Stargate SG1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,258 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Slydice wrote: »
    Stan Lee hitting me right in the Feels

It's just really weird to end the video with Shang-Chi punching some random dude on a bus. You'd think they'd end it on some big hero shot of Black Widow or maybe even first look at Thor from his next film. Hell even throw in a clip of Sam as Captain America from the TV show since they've announced Cap 4.

Just seems odd to end a video trying to get hype back up for the MCU movies with such a nothing shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,327 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Definitely going with the we are all one family feeling after 14 months of a global pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

It's just really weird to end the video with Shang-Chi punching some random dude on a bus. You'd think they'd end it on some big hero shot of Black Widow or maybe even first look at Thor from his next film. Hell even throw in a clip of Sam as Captain America from the TV show since they've announced Cap 4.

Just seems odd to end a video trying to get hype back up for the MCU movies with such a nothing shot.

Simple really, Sam/Thor/BW aren't going to be this years stars of Phase 4 in the movie part of the MCU. We have Shang Chi, Eternals and Spidey this year and I'm aware that Widow has her movie in July but that's set during and before the Infinity Saga.

Simple really, Sam/Thor/BW aren't going to be this years stars of Phase 4 in the movie part of the MCU. We have Shang Chi, Eternals and Spidey this year and I'm aware that Widow has her movie in July but that's set during and before the Infinity Saga.

Yeah I just think even if they were going to use Shang Chi, they could have used a better shot to end the video on. Even the double kick on the bus shown earlier would have looked better. Minor quibble though, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

are they suffering from a bit of hubris with this "phase 4 " nonsense? its the kind of marketing babble I'd expect from an IT or construction company.

If I had spidey senses they would be it telling me that the best of the MCU is behind and going forward all their stuff will be a disappointment in one way or another

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    are they suffering from a bit of hubris with this "phase 4 " nonsense? its the kind of marketing babble I'd expect from an IT or construction company.

If I had spidey senses they would be it telling me that the best of the MCU is behind and going forward all their stuff will be a disappointment in one way or another

In terms of movies I think it's more that there's been a lot of covid related delays so we're getting marketing material more than we would normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Goose bumps watching that! Just finished watching Kim's Convenience, hadn't paid much attention to Shang Chi but Jung has peaked my interest.

We miss you Stan :(

silverharp wrote: »

I disagree. I think they know Phase 4 will have to temper expectations a bit due to losing RDJ & Evans and the Infinity Saga being over, but this trailer is more about the return to cinemas post-Covid, and how great the cinema experience is (hence the audience shots from Endgame). The video is more about updated release dates for their upcoming movies, building hype by revealing the names of some movies (BP2 & Cap.Marvel 2), and ending on the Fantastic 4 symbol, which is something people can really look forward to to see the F4 done in the MCU way and hopefully done proper justice (the first two F4 movies with Evans as Human Torch were okay, but relatively weak compared to the types of movies we get now).

I think this trailer was just "MCU is coming back to cinemas".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Niska

Was getting a bit weary of Marvel movies but that trailer makes me miss them in the cinema.

Plus, looks like the Ishtar Gate at 2:27

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishtar_Gate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I wonder could the scene at the start showing t'challa and killmonger be a slight nod to what's going to play out in BP2. I still can't see them going with Shuri yet

Cotts72 wrote: »
    I wonder could the scene at the start showing t'challa and killmonger be a slight nod to what's going to play out in BP2. I still can't see them going with Shuri yet

Yeah I was thinking about Shuri becoming BP and I thought about how, as per the setup in BP1, if anyone from the other tribes put forward a challenger to fight her on the cliff, no way would she beat them. I could buy her as BP if she took the herb, got powers etc, but for that unpowered fight with none of her tech she wouldn't stand a chance. They'd have to write it that either no one challenges her out of respect for T'Challa, or that she just takes the herb and becomes Black Panther, possibly in the heat of battle to take down some enemy.

Killmonger surviving kinda ruins his story which ended so perfectly, and I can't see how they'd turn him around enough, unless it's T'Challa's death (or maybe sacrifice) and the changes Wakanda was making to help others that started at the end of BP1.

M'Baku could be a decent shout either. Maybe Shuri becomes Queen but M'Baku takes on the mantle of Black Panther. I'd guess from the title of Wakanda Forever that it'll be more about a Wakandan team coming together rather than just Black Panther.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Yeah I was thinking about Shuri becoming BP and I thought about how, as per the setup in BP1, if anyone from the other tribes put forward a challenger to fight her on the cliff, no way would she beat them. I could buy her as BP if she took the herb, got powers etc, but for that unpowered fight with none of her tech she wouldn't stand a chance. They'd have to write it that either no one challenges her out of respect for T'Challa, or that she just takes the herb and becomes Black Panther, possibly in the heat of battle to take down some enemy.

Killmonger surviving kinda ruins his story which ended so perfectly, and I can't see how they'd turn him around enough, unless it's T'Challa's death (or maybe sacrifice) and the changes Wakanda was making to help others that started at the end of BP1.

M'Baku could be a decent shout either. Maybe Shuri becomes Queen but M'Baku takes on the mantle of Black Panther. I'd guess from the title of Wakanda Forever that it'll be more about a Wakandan team coming together rather than just Black Panther.

I can't see the mbaku actor carrying the mantle either, don't think he'd have the charisma that bossman had. I think killmonger coming back would have something to do with the ancesterol plane giving him redemption. Again we can all theorise and it will prob be something completely different that happens!

Seemingly killmonger was going to have some part to play in BP2 and there was a script being written for a Disney plus show that he would feature in also. Allegedly in recent months the script for that has been rewritten and Jordan has been coy when asked about his role

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭kerplun k

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's a small aside, and merely an irritation, but the American writing trope of angling everything as about "family" is past tedium. And then when stories ARE about actual, biological families, it's all conflict and divorces :D

I still can't rationalise how the director of "Nomadland" was tasked with directing a MCU film. It's ... bizarre.

You can’t spell family without Marvel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Cotts72 wrote: »
    I can't see the mbaku actor carrying the mantle either, don't think he'd have the charisma that bossman had. I think killmonger coming back would have something to do with the ancesterol plane giving him redemption. Again we can all theorise and it will prob be something completely different that happens!

Seemingly killmonger was going to have some part to play in BP2 and there was a script being written for a Disney plus show that he would feature in also. Allegedly in recent months the script for that has been rewritten and Jordan has been coy when asked about his role

Didn’t Killmonger die?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Didn’t Killmonger die?

As a dodo, but if the rumours are to be believed, phase 4 will feature the multiverse; so you can bet your bottom dollar there'll be at least one surprise return of a character, with scaled odds for their morality being swapped. Michael B Jordan is a decent lead who could come back as a good version via an alternative dimension.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    As a dodo, but if the rumours are to be believed, phase 4 will feature the multiverse; so you can bet your bottom dollar there'll be at least one surprise return of a character, with scaled odds for their morality being swapped. Michael B Jordan is a decent lead who could come back as a good version via an alternative dimension.

I had heard that speculation but I thought the Black Panther had to be the King or the heir to the throne (and that T’Challa had taken the suit due to his father’s age) so even if an alternate Killmonger (I assume he would have a different name) appears the Shuri is T’Challa’s heir.

You guys know more so I assume I’m wrong.

Why, though, not just keep it straightforward and have Shuri inherit the throne and the suit? If Black Panther doesn’t have to be the heir though then why do they need to bring back Killmonger? Why not Lupita Nygo’s character take the role?

And before anyone gets their knickers in a twist I don’t have a “diversity agenda” - I honestly don’t give a toss about it - I just don’t see the need to complicate it all with the dead coming back in any form. Plus it have people expecting Stark and Cap to come back. And I don’t want RDJ or Evans to reappear in any trip to other Earth’s - I would prefer the loss of them to be absolute.

I had heard that speculation but I thought the Black Panther had to be the King or the heir to the throne (and that T’Challa had taken the suit due to his father’s age) so even if an alternate Killmonger (I assume he would have a different name) appears the Shuri is T’Challa’s heir.

Why, though, not just keep it straightforward and have Shuri inherit the throne and the suit? If Black Panther doesn’t have to be the heir though then why do they need to bring back Killmonger? Why not Lupita Nygo’s character take the role?

And before anyone gets their knickers in a twist I don’t have a “diversity agenda” - I honestly don’t give a toss about it - I just don’t see the need to complicate it all with the dead coming back in any form. Plus it have people expecting Stark and Cap to come back. And I don’t want RDJ or Evans to reappear in any trip to other Earth’s - I would prefer the loss of them to be absolute.

For the most part I agree, it's just hard to imagine Shuri as Black Panther given that she's so slight, and not really a fighter but rather has been positioned as a tech genius, and in many respects the comic relief of the first film. Nakia or Okoye, I could absolutely buy as Black Panther. Shuri is just a harder sell though, even if she took the herb to get Black Panther powers. It doesn't automatically make someone a good fighter, just stronger etc.

They could definitely make a story out of it and make her Black Panther, maybe combining tech with BP abilities, make her a bit more serious given the weight of having to take on the BP mantle and crown. But I think even though she becomes BP in the comics, they haven't set her up in the movies well enough to be in that role.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Presumably they'll find a way around the fact that KM burnt the garden with all the flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

They could use the Ancestral Plane to bring him back Killmonger, just like T'Challa

Well that then also depends if Wakanda in the MCU is a monarchy where a woman can even inherit the throne. To that end, there's a very natural, topical plotline whereby Shuri has the throne thrust upon her - then juggling superheroics with the courtroom drama as factions resist Wakanda's first female ruler. The first film's strengths did include the internal political strife, so presumably a sequel might look to repeat those threads. (side-bar; as a dyed in the wool anti-Royalist, I smirk at how freedom-loving Americans adore such an absolute(?) monarch :D) Shuri has been BP in the comics IIRC so it wouldn't be completely out of left-field, and the "reluctant hero" arc would fit her.

The other question is also if the actor's public vaccine scepticism might damage her leading-role status.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think simplest solution is for them to kick the can down the road. Make the sequel an ensemble while introducing/setting up possible BP successors for later films.

I think simplest solution is for them to kick the can down the road. Make the sequel an ensemble while introducing/setting up possible BP successors for later films.

I think that's why they've gone with the title of Wakanda Forever. It'll be more about them having to form their own team for this film.

Edit: Actually, maybe since T'Challa and Shuri were both snapped, maybe they've already changed the monarchy system anyway.

Xgemone wrote: »
    It seems to me that the marvel universe is slowly dying.

:confused: Based on ... ? The only MCU film released post EndGame made 1.1 billion, while the TV spin-offs have kept the brand alive & well (even if not universally critically acclaimed).

Given Phase 4 hasn't even started yet, that seems a little premature to claim :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I do think there’s a bit of a test ahead for the MCU: some of the characters being introduced are unknown properties, and there’s less room to rely on the old reliables like Iron Man and Captain America (not that there’s any shortage of sequels on the release list). They’ve overcome that before (Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain Marvel) but some of the upcoming films really are diving deep into the more obscure properties.

From another perspective though the pandemic was a chance for people to get a breather from the MCU. The next few films will have an event status simply because there hasn’t been one for over a year now. There’s a risk of overkill IMO because there’s one of the bloody things in cinemas every two months or so for the next 18 months, but I certainly think the less familiar names have a better chance now than they would’ve if they’d arrived nearly immediately post Endgame.

There’s also some interesting directorial choices this time around (Shortland, Zhao, DaCosta) but I remain skeptical whether their voices will be heard above the MCU machine given past form. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t looking forward to seeing Sam Raimi return to the fold too: there’s a certain old school comic book flair to Spider-Man 1+2 which I think most newer superhero films lack. Let’s just not mention Spider-Man 3. Ahem.

• Advertisement

For the most part I agree, it's just hard to imagine Shuri as Black Panther given that she's so slight, and not really a fighter but rather has been positioned as a tech genius, and in many respects the comic relief of the first film. Nakia or Okoye, I could absolutely buy as Black Panther. Shuri is just a harder sell though, even if she took the herb to get Black Panther powers. It doesn't automatically make someone a good fighter, just stronger etc.

They could definitely make a story out of it and make her Black Panther, maybe combining tech with BP abilities, make her a bit more serious given the weight of having to take on the BP mantle and crown. But I think even though she becomes BP in the comics, they haven't set her up in the movies well enough to be in that role.

When thinking Shuri was the most obvious choice to to take the title I never considered her fighting skill.

I remember that that she was involved in the battle but can’t remember if she got by on tech alone or with some combat.

The sequel could show her being trained for combat, but she doesn’t need to be as good as T’Challa. Maybe she makes up for it with gadgets and agility.

Advertisement