Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland u20 6 nations and world championship 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Interesting appointment. Had previously been Elite dev officer and having spent such long time in skills role with senior national side will be of such high value for the players at this level coming through the next couple of years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Riddle solved! Big promotion for Murphy.
    I have had my reservations about his exact role was with the senior side mainly because our kicking strategy and execution had fallen behind the curve in 2019 & 2020. Plus the senior teams handling and passing skills were never exceptional either - Unlike Wales who got better and better as a tournament went on. Ireland appeared to get worse...and then they thumped England!
    In fairness Richie may have had limited input/responsibility in that role.
    Hopefully it works out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Riddle solved! Big promotion for Murphy.
    I have had my reservations about his exact role was with the senior side mainly because our kicking strategy and execution had fallen behind the curve in 2019 & 2020. Plus the senior teams handling and passing skills were never exceptional either - Unlike Wales who got better and better as a tournament went on. Ireland appeared to get worse...and then they thumped England!
    In fairness Richie may have had limited input/responsibility in that role.
    Hopefully it works out well.

Wouldnt go that far he hasn’t much hc experience asfaik but hey just in time to pick his son for the 6nations.. can see this being a bit of an caretaker manager role until they get a long term candidate in

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Wouldnt go that far he hasn’t much hc experience asfaik but hey just in time to pick his son for the 6nations.. can see this being a bit of an caretaker manager role until they get a long term candidate in

The riddle for me was Campbell and Carolan leaving their provinces and McNamara staying at Leinster. Also probable addition to the senior side coaching staff possible with Murphy taking this role now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,311 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I just realized that the following all turn 30 this year!
    PJ
    Mick Kearney
    Conway
    Gilroy
    Treacy
    TOH
    where did the time go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Any names up for this weekend's camp?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Hey boy wrote: »
    Any names up for this weekend's camp?

Anyone know any attendees?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,311 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

When is the u20 6nations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Dubinusa wrote: »

I don't think a set in stone date was ever decided - some time in the Summer is all anyone can say until the IRFU come out and give a bit more info out.

Unless there's anyone ITK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Anyone know any attendees?

No idea but I get the impression it was extensive as coaches have so little to go on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,614 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I don't think a set in stone date was ever decided - some time in the Summer is all anyone can say until the IRFU come out and give a bit more info out.

Unless there's anyone ITK?

Was supposed to be starting the 19th of June over 3 weeks instead of 6, but have heard they're still waiting to see what happens with travel guidelines etc as they won't get exemptions for it.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    June but nothing confirmed due to waiting about restrictions
    FrannoFan wrote: »
    No idea but I get the impression it was extensive as coaches have so little to go on

Yeah even last season ended early. Could change a lot of who might have been expected to be in the squad based on u18 rugby

Plus head coach has left which won't have helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭RuPi

Article on the IRFU site that with those who attended the camp. I would imagine these are all players outside of their senior squads training bubbles as certainly from Ulster there is a few names missing who are training with Seniors.

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2021/05/03/ireland-u20s-talent-camp-held-at-irfu-hpc/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

RuPi wrote: »
    Article on the IRFU site that with those who attended the camp. I would imagine these are all players outside of their senior squads training bubbles as certainly from Ulster there is a few names missing who are training with Seniors.

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2021/05/03/ireland-u20s-talent-camp-held-at-irfu-hpc/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Most certainly and with no rugby having been played all season any involved in senior squads will not be involved as it allows far more players get looked at and actually play some rugby

RuPi wrote: »

Presumably academy is ranked higher than NTS which is ranked higher than PTS?

Hey boy wrote: »
    Presumably academy is ranked higher than NTS which is ranked higher than PTS?
    Academy players are contracted to provinces.
    National Talent Squad’ [NTS] is the most promising young players in the country from the ages of 15 to 20 who aren’t yet in the academies, and the ‘Provincial Talent Squad’ [PTS] is a wider pool of players around the country with potential to join each of the other set ups

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Academy players are contracted to provinces.
    National Talent Squad’ [NTS] is the most promising young players in the country from the ages of 15 to 20 who aren’t yet in the academies, and the ‘Provincial Talent Squad’ [PTS] is a wider pool of players around the country with potential to join each of the other set ups

Was wondering what those acronyms were. Thanks for that.

Hopefully it's a step to an informal "draft" where a player not being picked up by his native province is still charted and perhaps a different province snaps them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Temi Adewunmi Lasisi

name i haven't heard?

Looks a big unit, any word on the lad?

good to see a bit of diversity in the squad. Probably about time for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Number 137

starkid wrote: »
    Temi Adewunmi Lasisi

name i haven't heard?

He has come through the youths pathway, out of Enniscorthy. I think he is a hooker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I wonder why there were so few Connacht players involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Assume cathal Forde, Darragh Murray, donncha Byrne and Oisin McCormack would be involved but training with senior squad recently

Was wondering what those acronyms were. Thanks for that.

Hopefully it's a step to an informal "draft" where a player not being picked up by his native province is still charted and perhaps a different province snaps them up.

The players not picked up by native province still being assessed and snapped up is happening and has for a while. Connacht have had open assessments for their interpros from u19s up and always looking further afield. others are as well.
    Temi Adewunmi Lasisi

name i haven't heard?

Diversity... plenty been involved in various irish and provincial age grade squads for some time.

Any players in particular you think should be involved?

The players not picked up by native province still being assessed and snapped up is happening and has for a while. Connacht have had open assessments for their interpros from u19s up and always looking further afield. others are as well.

Diversity... plenty been involved in various irish and provincial age grade squads for some time.

Any players in particular you think should be involved?

I'm not making any assertions as to who should or shouldn't be involved. I would have expected Darragh Murray, Oisin McCormack, Donnacha Byrne, Hubert Costelloe, Matthew Devine, Cathal Force, and Shane Jennings to be there or thereabouts but if training with Connacht is deemed to take priority that's fair enough.

This year's crop is Connacht's strongest in years so I am hopeful come the JRWC we will have more players involved than we have had in recent years.

I'm not making any assertions as to who should or shouldn't be involved. I would have expected Darragh Murray, Oisin McCormack, Donnacha Byrne, Hubert Costelloe, Matthew Devine, Cathal Force, and Shane Jennings to be there or thereabouts but if training with Connacht is deemed to take priority that's fair enough.

This year's crop is Connacht's strongest in years so I am hopeful come the JRWC we will have more players involved than we have had in recent years.

A fair few of those lads are overage this year no? Jennings, McCormack and Forde are

A fair few of those lads are overage this year no? Jennings, McCormack and Forde are

Pretty sure all I mentioned are u20 apart from Devine who is u19. Jennings, McCormack and Force were all born in 2001.

Pretty sure all I mentioned are u20 apart from Devine who is u19. Jennings, McCormack and Force were all born in 2001.

Could be wrong but the cutoff for turning 20 is July I think, all 3 already turned 20.

Could be wrong but the cutoff for turning 20 is July I think, all 3 already turned 20.

No international rugby for quite some time has been January 1st. Its only club rugby at 20s and 18s thats July 1st and thats 20.5s and 18.5s.

No international rugby for quite some time has been January 1st. Its only club rugby at 20s and 18s thats July 1st and thats 20.5s and 18.5s.

Ah that's my bad so wasn't aware it was different to the old clubs 20s.

• Advertisement

Temi Adewunmi Lasisi

name i haven't heard?

Lasisi!
    Reminds me of the fella who played in Serie A in the golden years.
    He loved a chop tackle!
    https://youtu.be/GiGuz0CcoaM?t=88

Advertisement