Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland u20 6 nations and world championship 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Ah that's my bad so wasn't aware it was different to the old clubs 20s.

To be fair unless directly involved in the coaching/have kids in these grade it would be hard to know. changed a lot the past decade or so.
    From 20s/18s/16s all on July cut off date to 21s/19s/17s/15s all on january 1st and then change back to 20.5s and 18s/16s and then other changes in between

there was a while when schools u18s international were different to other age grades and there are still slight differences between provinces. Ulster run different grades to other provinces

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Ah that's my bad so wasn't aware it was different to the old clubs 20s.

Clubs is actually u20.5 hence the July cut off, has anyone got the full list of who was there?

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Clubs is actually u20.5 hence the July cut off, has anyone got the full list of who was there?

Its in RuPis post #255

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

The players not picked up by native province still being assessed and snapped up is happening and has for a while. Connacht have had open assessments for their interpros from u19s up and always looking further afield. others are as well.

Diversity... plenty been involved in various irish and provincial age grade squads for some time.

Any players in particular you think should be involved?

I'd respectively disagree. There's been a few lads yes. "Plenty" is completely stretching it. And i'm talking about Irish under 20s and above. Not age grade stuff. And i'm not talking about project players either. I'm basically talking about elite rugby. And when i say diversity i refer to players who would be considered the sons and daughters of people making their new life here (like my daughter) Rory Parata, Conor Phillips (some south african heritage)and Vakh Abdaladze. Harrison Brewer, Saba Meunargia before that, and Zebo. Thats about it. And only Zeebs has gone on to elite stuff. I'm not saying it as some sort of conspiracy but Irish rugby is in dire need of moving the rugby away from the 10/11 Michaels and other private schools (of which i attended) monopoly. Its an uncomfortable truth really. And yes i'm aware that the lads I mention mostly went to private schools.

Considering the numbers here of Irish people with dual heritage or whatever you want to call it, we have pretty poor representation through all Irish sport at this stage. Footballs about to completely change. Rugby is seriously lagging behind now.

To keep it about IReland under 20s, Okeke looks a good prospect. Illo too. I hope they can make it.

Of all the players i've watched and played against Conor Owende (under 20 sub) with his natural athleticism is one player that springs to mind.

Anyway i look forward to the day Irish rugby incorporates people from all walks of life. Will be a great day. Below the elite level, yes great work is being done in certain areas. And in others like where i live in the North inner city region its non existent.

starkid wrote: »
    I'd respectively disagree. There's been a few lads yes. "Plenty" is completely stretching it. And i'm talking about Irish under 20s and above. Not age grade stuff. And i'm not talking about project players either. I'm basically talking about elite rugby. And when i say diversity i refer to players who would be considered the sons and daughters of people making their new life here (like my daughter) Rory Parata, Conor Phillips (some south african heritage)and Vakh Abdaladze. Harrison Brewer, Saba Meunargia before that, and Zebo. Thats about it. And only Zeebs has gone on to elite stuff. I'm not saying it as some sort of conspiracy but Irish rugby is in dire need of moving the rugby away from the 10/11 Michaels and other private schools (of which i attended) monopoly. Its an uncomfortable truth really. And yes i'm aware that the lads I mention mostly went to private schools.

Considering the numbers here of Irish people with dual heritage or whatever you want to call it, we have pretty poor representation through all Irish sport at this stage. Footballs about to completely change. Rugby is seriously lagging behind now.

To keep it about IReland under 20s, Okeke looks a good prospect. Illo too. I hope they can make it.

Of all the players i've watched and played against Conor Owende (under 20 sub) with his natural athleticism is one player that springs to mind.

Anyway i look forward to the day Irish rugby incorporates people from all walks of life. Will be a great day. Below the elite level, yes great work is being done in certain areas. And in others like where i live in the North inner city region its non existent.
    It takes long time to get players through from beyond the fee paying schools who have all the coaching, facilities that majority not in the schools will not have access to.
    Irish rugby is getting better at expanding the game. Look at GAA as well. Few making top level who are people who are sons, daughters of immigrants.
    Rugby very much incorporates people from all walks of life. That it isnt completely showing at pro level doesnt mean that the sport isnt doing the work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Hey boy

starkid wrote: »

Can't speak for the other provinces but UR put a lot of time into whoever is good enough, inc from clubs, secondary schools, etc etc. A few years back they put a lot into a big prop who was definitely not from the usual background. Ultimately he just wasn't good enough but his dad has been on social media a number of times whinging about how he wasn't given a chance etc etc. He definitely was.

I honestly hope we don't go down the lines of quotas. Perhaps I am naive but if player is good enough he will get picked.

Squad of 37 from latest training camp
    Donnacha Byrne (Sligo RFC)
    Hubert Costelloe (Corinthians RFC)
    Eoin de Buitlear (Corinthians RFC)
    Cathal Forde (Corinthians RFC)
    Hubert Gilvary (Sligo RFC)
    Oisin McCormack (Buccaneers RFC)
    Diarmuid McCormack (DUFC)
    Darragh Murray (Buccaneers RFC)
    Leinster
    Temi Asewunmi Lasisi (Lansdowne FC)
    Lee Barron (DUFC)
    Jack Boyle (UCD RFC)
    Harry Colbert (DUFC)
    Donal Conroy (Naas RFC)
    Tim Corkery (UCD RFC)
    Matthew Grogan (Old Belvedere RFC)
    Sam Illo (Old Wesley RFC)
    Marcus Kiely (Naas RFC)
    Ronan Loughnane (UCD RFC)
    Joe McCarthy (DUFC)
    Mark Morrissey (UCD RFC)
    Ben Murphy (Old Wesley RFC)
    Josh O’Connor (UCD RFC)
    Alex Soroka (Clontarf FC)
    Munster
    Mark Donnelly (Garryowen FC)
    Alan Flannery (Shannon RFC)
    John Forde (Cork Constitution FC)
    Jack Kelleher (UCC RFC)
    Aaron Leahy (CBC)
    Daniel Okeke (Shannon RFC)
    Jamie Shanahan (Garryowen FC)
    Cian Whooley (UCC RFC)
    Ulster
    Reuben Crothers (Ballynahinch RFC)
    Nathan Doak (Banbridge RFC)
    Oscar Egan (QUB RFC)
    Conor McKee (QUB RFC)
    George Saunderson (QUB RFC)
    James Humphreys (QUB RFC)
    Harry Sheridan (DUFC)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭theVersatile

• Registered Users Posts: 15 backcamslua

A few additional academy players helping with the 7's programme to be included aswell I'd say!

A few additional academy players helping with the 7's programme to be included aswell I'd say!

Who would that be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Purist98

Hey boy wrote: »
    Who would that be?

Alex Kendellen and Chris Cosgrave are two

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

When is this to kick off? I'm looking forward to this more than the Lions tour.

When is this to kick off? I'm looking forward to this more than the Lions tour.

First games June 19th but no further details announced

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The 20's 6nations is brilliant! I really enjoy these matches. Sometimes, the rugby is absolutely magnificent. It's always facinating to guess which lads are future senior international players.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Dubinusa wrote: »
    The 20's 6nations is brilliant! I really enjoy these matches. Sometimes, the rugby is absolutely magnificent. It's always facinating to guess which lads are future senior international players.
    Yeah love it too.

Those Friday night warm-up games for the senior 6 Nations matches were such a joy. Hopefully all will be back to normal next year.

And some with full senior squads as well
    Purist98 wrote: »
    Alex Kendellen and Chris Cosgrave are two

Ethan Coughlan as well. Was a reserve for Munster on Friday night and is still underage for 20s next year as well

England playing Scotland today
    Now most players should be finished college we might have a game or two ahead of 6 nations in what ever form its played

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭nerd69

Fixtures announced i'd guess kendellan will miss this if he's playing 7s

Even harder than usual to predict how these games will go but not the worst set of fixtures

2021 U20 Six Nations Championship Fixtures:
    (All games at Cardiff Arms Park)

Round 1, Saturday 19 June:
    Scotland v Ireland, 2pm
    England v France, 5pm
    Italy v Wales, 8pm

Round 2, Friday 25 June:
    England v Scotland, 2pm
    Italy v France, 5pm
    Wales v Ireland, 8pm

Round 3, Thursday 1 July:
    Scotland v Italy, 2pm
    France v Wales, 5pm
    Ireland v England, 8pm

Round 4, Wednesday 7 July:
    Italy v Ireland, 2pm
    France v Scotland, 5pm
    Wales v England, 8pm

Round 5, Tuesday 13 July
    England v Italy, 2pm
    Ireland v France, 4.45pm
    Scotland v Wales, 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Who is the TV operator?

• Advertisement

England playing Scotland today
    Now most players should be finished college we might have a game or two ahead of 6 nations in what ever form its played

Did you hear who won?

Hey boy wrote: »
    Did you hear who won?
    England 5 tries to 2 but it was Non-capped game, training in effect, different regs etc etc,

the Irish 20s will take on a Leinster Development XV at Donnybrook tomorrow then play a Munster development team 7 days later in High Performance Centre with 6 nations squad named the following Thursday

Leinster Teams named
    Leinster (v Ireland U-20):

15. Rob Russell
    14. Donal Conroy
    13. Marcus Kiely
    12. David Hawkshaw CAPTAIN
    11. Josh O’Connor
    10. Tim Corkery
    9. Cormac Foley

1. Michael Milne
    2. John McKee
    3. Vakh Abdaladze
    4. Mark Morrissey
    5. Ryan Baird
    6. Martin Moloney
    7. Aaron Coleman
    8. Mark Boyle.

Replacements from:

Marcus Hanan
    Temi Lasisi
    Dan Sheehan
    Greg McGrath
    Ruairí Clarke
    Will Reilly
    Harry Colbert

Ireland U-20 (from):
    Chris Cosgrave (UCD RFC/Leinster), Chay Mullins (Bristol Bears/IQ Rugby), Jamie Osborne (Naas RFC/Leinster), Ben Carson (Banbridge RFC/Ulster),
    Shane Jennings (Buccaneers RFC/Connacht), Cian Whooley (UCC RFC/Munster), Ben Murphy (Old Wesley RFC/Leinster), Jack Boyle (UCD RFC/Leinster),
    Ronan Loughnane (UCD RFC/Leinster), Sam Illo (Old Wesley RFC/Leinster), Harry Sheridan (Dublin University FC/Ulster), Joe McCarthy (Dublin University FC/Leinster), Donnacha Byrne (Sligo RFC/Connacht), Diarmuid McCormack (Dublin University FC/Connacht), Daniel Okeke (Shannon RFC/Munster),
    Jamie Shanahan (Garryowen FC/Munster), Conor Rankin (Malone RFC/Ulster), Alan Flannery (Shannon RFC/Munster), Cathal Forde (Corinthian RFC/Connacht), Hubert Gilvarry (Sligo RFC/Connacht), Aaron Leahy (Garryowen RFC/Munster), James Humphreys (Queen’s University Belfast/Ulster),
    Conor McKee (Queen’s University Belfast/Ulster), George Saunderson (Queen’s University Belfast/Ulster), Eoin de Buitlear (Corinthians RFC/Connacht),
    Mark Donnelly (Garryowen RFC/Munster), Jack Kelleher (UCC RFC/Munster), Reuben Crothers (Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster),
    Oisin McCormack (Buccaneers RFC/Connacht), Alex Kendellen (UCC RFC/Munster),
    Oscar Egan (Queen’s University Belfast/Ulster), Liam Bishop (Nottingham RFC/IQ Rugby).

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

No Nathan Doak is interesting. Would imagine he’s involved with Ulster then.

Tim Corkery playing for Leinster instead of Ireland is eye-catching as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Faugheen wrote: »

You'd imagine he is still involved with the u20's just Leinster are very short of outhalves at the moment due to injuries etc.??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Probably works out best for all, get to see both Forde and Corkery on the pitch at the same time.

Not really that eye catching. Allows Corkery game time as well as others. Will see some Munster players in the extended squad playing for Munster in the game next week to allow others game time

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It allows Corkery game time but I think Ireland would benefit more from him playing within their systems.

It's whatever though. I just thought it was eye-catching.

• Advertisement

It allows Corkery game time but I think Ireland would benefit more from him playing within their systems.

It's whatever though. I just thought it was eye-catching.

When so few have game time you need to get players as much game time as possible and this allows that. As more Ulster and Connacht players should be starting playing more as they wont really have option of playing for the provincial teams in the games.
    Corkery also got irish game time last year and pro14 game time this season means it gives others a shot in these games.

Advertisement