Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

septicsac wrote: »
    So if I want to put in a card for my handicap, I can do this anytime, without involving the club, just use the app and have someone witness same?

Yep I believe so.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

In essence, yes. Needs to be someone else that's set up on the golf Ireland app as you assign them as affirming the score, and they get a notification on the app to confirm your score

Used it yesterday. Worked perfectly and updated straight away. Impressed.

I used app to post a score yesterday. Marker couldn’t get into his account on app. Said he’d look later on. Still awaiting attestation ....... I’d rather it went in the bin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Used it today to see how it went.

Found it very easy to use and no problems with the card going through. Handicap updated straight away aswell from what I could see.

Pity I played my worst 9 holes since coming back :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

It’s been a while since I’ve looked at my handicap (for obvious reasons), had a look a last night and there seems to be a discrepancy between my Golfnet handicap index (19.0) and my golf Ireland handicap index (16.8). Is the golf net one now defunct essentially and I just do the calculations based on the golf Ireland one? Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

It’s been a while since I’ve looked at my handicap (for obvious reasons), had a look a last night and there seems to be a discrepancy between my Golfnet handicap index (19.0) and my golf Ireland handicap index (16.8). Is the golf net one now defunct essentially and I just do the calculations based on the golf Ireland one? Thanks in advance

Yes. Golfnet displays the old system. Golfireland displays the new system.

Yes. Golfnet displays the old system. Golfireland displays the new system.

Thanks for that, not a major difference but good to know

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

SO to be clear, you mark your card as usual and then fill score on app later or do you fill the score on the app as you play?
    I presume placing in bunkers does not rule out a score, as most clubs have this in place due to Covid?

I marked it on the app as I played.

You can fill in your markers score aswell even if they are not playing a qualifying round. It will tell you you how many strokes you have on the hole, your points so far and how far over/under par you are.

Card is viewable after the round at anytime aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

When we were putting digital scoring into the app last year and deciding if we would allow scoring hole by hole or only at the end. We did a few tests on the course.

Not incredibly scientific but it looked like possibly close to 12 minutes could be added to a round by a three ball( if all 3 did their own scores on their own phone) The process of getting your phone, unlocking it, entering the score and putting it away took 13 seconds longer than pencil and paper on average. (Surprising how many people didn’t know what pocket in their bag the phone was in).

There were also more errors made when using a phone rather than paper, during a round but not many errors when added at the end. Not sure why ??

• Advertisement

I just added scores when walking from the green to the next tee, helps having an electric trolley i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

When we were putting digital scoring into the app last year and deciding if we would allow scoring hole by hole or only at the end. We did a few tests on the course.

Not incredibly scientific but it looked like possibly close to 12 minutes could be added to a round by a three ball( if all 3 did their own scores on their own phone) The process of getting your phone, unlocking it, entering the score and putting it away took 13 seconds longer than pencil and paper on average. (Surprising how many people didn’t know what pocket in their bag the phone was in).

There were also more errors made when using a phone rather than paper, during a round but not many errors when added at the end. Not sure why ??
    I imagine glare, unsteady hands, not wanting to delay would be factors when entering scores during the round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I used the app first time yesterday. Entered my score after the round, checked against a card marked by my partner. My partner hadn't signed up so he was unavailable as an attester initially but he signed up within a few minutes and became available. I had to find a shaded spot to see the screen.
    Looking at it today, I can see my round became one of my 8 counting rounds as it's highlighted in green. My WHS index has changed on the app.
    I have added 2 friends, both from same club. It's interesting to note that 2 of us have the wrong course for yesterday's rounds. I'm assuming user error here.

Takes a bit of getting used to but mostly I liked the app user experience. It helped me to understand the WHS better too.
    I'll send this feedback to the developers. Like any new software, there will be scenarios which have escaped testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

I played v par competition at the weekend and I finished 5 down. Club results were posted on howdidido. However, when I signed in beforehand my course handicap was 11. My WHS index was 10 and howdidido is showing as 10. I expected to finish 4 down based on my course handicap, not 5 down as per my WHS index. Maybe my club is not calculating it correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Pdoghue wrote: »
    I played v par competition at the weekend and I finished 5 down. Club results were posted on howdidido. However, when I signed in beforehand my course handicap was 11. My WHS index was 10 and howdidido is showing as 10. I expected to finish 4 down based on my course handicap, not 5 down as per my WHS index. Maybe my club is not calculating it correctly?

Looked into it again and I think the result is right. However, the Golf Ireland app for some reason I can't understand is not showing the PLAYING handicap on the results timeline. It's showing my WHS index, the course handicap, but inexplicably not the effective PLAYING handicap, which is a function of the WHS index, course handicap and course rating.

Seve OB wrote: »
    I used app to post a score yesterday. Marker couldn’t get into his account on app. Said he’d look later on. Still awaiting attestation ....... I’d rather it went in the bin :D

Got a notification on the app this morning.
    My marker has now approved my score, so unlike above where somebody seemed to believe that your score had to be approved on the spot, mine was done miles from the course, days later.

Are there clubs having competitions at the minute? I thought it was only social golf allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,153 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Pdoghue wrote: »
    Looked into it again and I think the result is right. However, the Golf Ireland app for some reason I can't understand is not showing the PLAYING handicap on the results timeline. It's showing my WHS index, the course handicap, but inexplicably not the effective PLAYING handicap, which is a function of the WHS index, course handicap and course rating.
    That's correct. The playing handicap is only used for competition purposes and not handicap calculation. So you won't see it used on the Golf Ireland portal.

Are there clubs having competitions at the minute? I thought it was only social golf allowed?
    Not sure of the exact wording, but it says in the guidelines that 'informal handicap qualifying events' can be held. Basically avoiding the handling of cash and using electronic scoring where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Has any club experienced a PCC calculation on their course yet. I thought for sure we would have one yesterday. Awful day and the scoring was terrible but still the PCC on the day was 0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Rikand wrote: »
    Has any club experienced a PCC calculation on their course yet. I thought for sure we would have one yesterday. Awful day and the scoring was terrible but still the PCC on the day was 0

I was very surprised at that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Yes. Ours is working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Poker Face

Do you know how many scores were returned yesterday? Think there has to be a minimum 8 for a PCC calculation

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Our club don't seem to be posting the standard scratch anywhere now, because scoring has been particularly high for the first weeks and under the old system i'd have expected most comps to go to +1 standard scratch.

Doesn't appear on Masters Scoreboard or the Golf Ireland app.

Our club don't seem to be posting the standard scratch anywhere now, because scoring has been particularly high for the first weeks and under the old system i'd have expected most comps to go to +1 standard scratch.

Doesn't appear on Masters Scoreboard or the Golf Ireland app.
    PCC won't appear on MS or on the app. But there's a column for it on your record on the Golf Ireland website.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Poker Face wrote: »
    Do you know how many scores were returned yesterday? Think there has to be a minimum 8 for a PCC calculation

We had 32 scores in

About half were NRs though which I suppose could throw off the algorithm as there isnt supposed to be NRs. Some of our members are taking time to adjust to new procedures ... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I had no idea that we could put these scores in without the club approving. Don't we need a mnimum number of players for the PCC calculation.

Played with the missus twice over the w/e and we both had one good 9H round and one bad 9H round. I was +7 gross on my good round (am a 24HI) Can we put those in retrospectively?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I had no idea that we could put these scores in without the club approving. Don't we need a mnimum number of players for the PCC calculation.

Played with the missus twice over the w/e and we both had one good 9H round and one bad 9H round. I was +7 gross on my good round (am a 24HI) Can we put those in retrospectively?

Not if you didnt signal your intent to play by entering on the computer / book in your club prior to teeing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Only one day in our place it wasn't 0. It was 2 on that day FWIW

Much heavier reliance on Cat 1 and Cat 2 golfers in the calc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Not if you didnt signal your intent to play by entering on the computer / book in your club prior to teeing off.

Ah yes, OK. Our club have said they are not taking scores for handicap at the moment. I'm not sure why.

Advertisement