Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else starting to become a bit excited?

Options

Comments

Thargor wrote: »
    Looks like another night of lost sleep watching ETH attempt to break 3k...

It's edging closer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Badly fukt wrote: »
    It's edging closer
    Its obviously inevitable the question is does some whale and/or a load of minnows dump at that point.

I really, really should sell right now tbh, I could be bidding on a house this week.

Thargor wrote: »
    Its obviously inevitable the question is does some whale and/or a load of minnows dump at that point.

I really, really should sell right now tbh, I could be bidding on a house this week.

There's a guaranteed correction but it will power on again after

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

HGVRHKYY wrote: »
    DeFi, NFTs, being the largest platform that has many other cryptos built on top of it. Yeah, hasn't done anything really. With the updates and actual progress towards 2.0 as well, it's almost as if people believe it's going to have even more utility when that rolls around due to larger capacity

Indeed NFT's and DeFi are pretty cool, but up 2500% in a year? down 40% in a day? nothing rational about that. What has Dogecoin done to be worth 150x more in the last year? nothing. A fork of a fork of BTC is worth more than multi-national companies. The market is mental. Artificial scarcity, hype and FOMO drives far more value than any underlying fundamental value these things have. And that's fine by me, I like the rollercoaster, great for gains and all that, just pointing out the obvious here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Eth to 3k tonight?!

• Advertisement

Eth to 3k tonight?!

Should've been last night, it's bouncing off it, going sideways

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Ir's dangerous really, some people will get burned who just "dipped their toes" got excited, and fired the kitchen sink into it

And some will be multimillionaires. Some of the price action we are seeing could be blips on a radar a year or two from now.

Rob2D wrote: »
    Phew, finally got my portfolio laid out for alt season. 16 coins.............I may have spread myself too thin. But f**k it shur a couple of them will surely do something! :pac:

Care to share the 16?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Cushtie wrote: »
    Ah lads. It makes no sense to a normal Joe like me.

I stuck about 70 euro into ETH on revolut about 6 weeks ago just to dip my toe in whilst I try to educate my self on it.

Anyway that 70 is at 120 this evening. Bonkers really if you scale that up to what some people must have bought in at.
    aint apple up 100% in the year?

Easy to make money at the moment.

Eth 3k :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

Eth 3k :)

anyone going all in on eth? its not looking like stopping anytime soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Haha Ethereum eases the pain of a Monday morning

And yes I'm working on a bank holiday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Hi all, very new to this game. Is it good practice to convert a crypto coin to euro, at the start of a dip, hold the euro and then buy back on the way back up, or do most of ye just hodl through the dips?

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    Hi all, very new to this game. Is it good practice to convert a crypto coin to euro, at the start of a dip, hold the euro and then buy back on the way back up, or do most of ye just hodl through the dips?

Yes, that's how trading works, sell when it starts to dip and buy back in cheaper, but not to fiat, to stablecoin like USDC and USDT. I hold through the dips add I'm in for the long term and have mine staked.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

$4k coming into play for ETH now :P

anyone going all in on eth? its not looking like stopping anytime soon...

Statistically if you go in on a coin during a pump you will lose money (unless you don't mind holding for long term), that's not to say Ethereum is at its top, but you're making a high risk move.

Ethereum was about half the price in March when people were beginning to write it off and calling it a stable coin, that's when you should buy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,867 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The dip has to be considerable, given the 33% CGT you have to pay on the profit reducing how much you have to buy back in with, to make that worth while. Picking the peaks and troughs is not something any one can do unlesss they are a whale causing them.

CGT makes that sort of trading a near sure lose mugs game. If you believe in it hoddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Just remember that selling for euro is a CGT event so if you are in with a decent chunk of money selling and buying again may not be worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,867 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Connavar wrote: »
    Just remember that selling for euro is a CGT event so if you are in with a decent chunk of money selling and buying again may not be worth it

Selling, period, is a CGT event - it's not limited to Euros or fiat. Swapping one coin for another is a CGT event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Very "annoyed" to see Eth price this morning. When I saw the big red wall of sell orders at 3k last night I thought: "Might sell one now @2990 and buy two more when it pulls back overnight"

My smart-assedness was punished. Still don't understand what happened the wall of sell orders at 3k? Would like if someone could enlighten me.

• Advertisement

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Very "annoyed" to see Eth price this morning. When I saw the big red wall of sell orders at 3k last night I thought: "Might sell one now @2990 and buy two more when it pulls back overnight"

My smart-assedness was punished. Still don't understand what happened the wall of sell orders at 3k? Would like if someone could enlighten me.

Sell walls can be gone in 2 ways.

The buy pressure is too much and they just get eaten.

Whales use it as a psychological scare to get people to sell as they think it can't be stopped. Once a tiny fraction of the wall is eaten, the whales realise the volume is too high and remove them and place them back at a higher price

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

cnocbui wrote: »
    Selling, period, is a CGT event - it's not limited to Euros or fiat. Swapping one coin for another is a CGT event.

Yep was just going on the example given

Connavar wrote: »
    Yep was just going on the example given

Is receiving a loan based on collateral A CGT event?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭djan

Is receiving a loan based on collateral A CGT event?

No. AFAIK it would be the same as taking out loan and using house/land/business as collateral. Efficient way to "release" funds without triggering CGT. Rates tend to be a bit higher than traditional banks and collateral usually needs to be double the loan amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭BrandonBay86

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

Probably eaten up bit by bit, or people removed their orders. I was awake really late last night watching it, it was agonisingly slow going from $2,980 to actually breaking through $3,000

djan wrote: »
    No. AFAIK it would be the same as taking out loan and using house/land/business as collateral. Efficient way to "release" funds without triggering CGT. Rates tend to be a bit higher than traditional banks and collateral usually needs to be double the loan amount.

That's what I found when I was looking at them recently, but still think it's amazing to have services available that allow you to do this with your crypto these days and they'll only get better and more competitive as time goes on. And the more crypto increases in value, the less crypto we'll actually need to put up for the loans

FFVII wrote: »

Only for their paying premium members though of course, so you need to pay to be able to actually fully take ownership of what you've already bought. Scumbags, they're only a small step up from Robinhood

• Advertisement

Where do you see this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement