Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The prom (COVID closed 31 March 2020, reopened 18 May)

Options

Comments

Reopening of parking has been brought forward

https://twitter.com/CloHiggins/status/1384550208994955265?s=19

Reopening of parking has been brought forward

https://twitter.com/CloHiggins/status/1384550208994955265?s=19

550834.png

Parking in the car parks and along the prom has now been restored. Such a missed opportunity.

https://twitter.com/paulinegalway/status/1384788977224462336?s=19

Parking in the car parks and along the prom has now been restored

About time. Should never have been closed off in the first place.
    Can't wait to visit the Prom again, and not have to park illegally

Agreed it was of nobody's benefit being closed off completely along the prom. Outdoors with a nice sea breeze is very safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Cycled there today. Now instead of enjoying the view I gotta watch for a car doors or brake lights. Makes hopping on the prom tempting. If there's a viable alternative everyone wins. Surely there's enough real estate to squeeze in a separate 2-way cycle lane on the prom side?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Wonder why the car park at the back of the Aquarium is still closed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Cycled there today. Now instead of enjoying the view I gotta watch for a car doors or brake lights. Makes hopping on the prom tempting. If there's a viable alternative everyone wins. Surely there's enough real estate to squeeze in a separate 2-way cycle lane on the prom side?

Same. Three near misses that would have clocked me if I weren't paying attention, and plenty of cars doing 'annoyed' driving that I was cycling out from the doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Cycled there today. Now instead of enjoying the view I gotta watch for a car doors or brake lights.

This applies if one is driving as well - no view anymore.
    Majority of the road is really really wide, it can take car parking on both sides after all, don't even need to squeeze in a cycle path on the prom side if just the prom side car parking was removed.
    That's why the Council were actually proposing it back in 2020 - it was so easy for them to install it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,720 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Cycled there today. Now instead of enjoying the view I gotta watch for a car doors or brake lights.

If you're driving a wheely-thing, you need to be watching the road and likely hazards that may enter the road, not the view and not your phone.

If you wanna look at the view, secure your vehicle first.

Doesn't matter how many wheels you have.

• Advertisement

Must. Not. Glance. At. Beautiful. Sunset.

3-19RobotDriver-2.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭saabsaab

If you're driving a wheely-thing, you need to be watching the road and likely hazards that may enter the road, not the view and not your phone.

Sensible advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭what_traffic

About time. Should never have been closed off in the first place.
    Can't wait to visit the Prom again, and not have to park illegally

Where were you parking illegally when you were visiting the past months?
    Were you one of those "cone" moving people?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

You're right in that on my bike, when there are cars parked, I have to be super vigilant and *actively* nearly glance into every parked car to anticipate a door opening as the chances of it happening are massive. I get a better 'moment of a glance' coming down Threadneedle for example (except at schools pickup time :P)
    In a car there is a bit more leeway to take a glance at he view I think, given engine response at stops etc.

Rejuvenation proposals on the cards for Salthill

Full story - https://connachttribune.ie/rejuvenation-proposals-on-the-cards-for-salthill/
    The concept of a reimagined Leisureland – to include Salthill Park as part of ‘a unique to Ireland’ 12-acre indoor and outdoor amenity – has been presented to the City Council.

One of the aims of the new concept would be the return of public space along the Prom, Salthill and Toft carparks to the ‘public realm’ – rather than their current carparking usage.

This would be facilitated by a new underground facility at the ‘new Leisureland’ incorporating a major car-parking area which could ‘be future proofed as a new mobility hub with electric and shared vehicles and a last-mile delivery hub’.

Shame we'll all be long dead before it ever comes to fruition

" a major car-parking area which could ‘be future proofed as..."

Several things about investing in a major underground car park beside the sea don't sound like future proofing to me.

"One of the aims of the new concept would be the return of public space along the Prom"

Why not just reconfigure the space along the prom instead of investing millions and decades on this...

https://twitter.com/GalwayUrban/status/1386620661767016448?s=19

The pictures, especially the lower right one, really say it all: F-you pedestrians. Get on bicycles if you want to be here at all.

How? Pedestrians would still have about 3+ times more space than cycle infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The pictures, especially the lower right one, really say it all: F-you pedestrians. Get on bicycles if you want to be here at all.
    While I'm not sold on the idea overall, are they not proposing pedestrians walk on the footpath beside the beach and leave the cyclists the path beside the road? It's hardly a hardship..

It would also keep bikes off the prom footpath, which is a problem now as the road isn't safe, especially for kids. The reimagined Salthill Village looks much more pedestrian friendly and the zebra crossings and roundabout removal could give them greater priority over cars and bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

The top two photos....there's the footpath all along the prom.
    Do you want the footpath alongside the road, with exhaust fumes and engine noise???

I don't get your objections.
    Honestly OBumble, you sound as bad as some of the cycling fanatics on here sometimes. There space for everyone.
    There's clearly space in those photos for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,249 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Not sure where to put this, but there is going to be portaloos installed in the sparch for 16 weeks to ensure that there are facilities available throughout the summer months for outdoor / takeaway dining and pints.

They will be open from 7am to 10pm daily.

There will be additional facilities added at Ravens Terrace, Mill St car park and Toft Park next week.

They will be both Standard and wheelchair accessible facilities.

From Mike Hubbard's face book. Sounds like he is behind it. Fair play to him. Much needed.

Fitz* wrote: »
    Not sure where to put this, but there is going to be portaloos installed in the sparch for 16 weeks to ensure that there are facilities available throughout the summer months for outdoor / takeaway dining and pints.

There will be additional facilities added at Ravens Terrace, Mill St car park and Toft Park next week.

From Mike Hubbard's face book. Sounds like he is behind it. Fair play to him. Much needed.

Good idea, but I hope they get some that aren't those pig ugly blue plastic huts you see at festivals.
    Extra bins and regular collection and maintenance as well please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Those plans would need to be well future proofed to cope with the expected sea level rise. Underground car parks?

saabsaab wrote: »
    Those plans would need to be well future proofed to cope with the expected sea level rise. Underground car parks?

Long term, there's going to be a sea wall built

Good idea, but I hope they get some that aren't those pig ugly blue plastic huts you see at festivals.
    Extra bins and regular collection and maintenance as well please.

In fairness, there is huge demand for these at the moment, and limited supply

Any colour and prettiness will be most welcome at this point.

The top two photos....there's the footpath all along the prom.
    Do you want the footpath alongside the road, with exhaust fumes and engine noise???

I don't get your objections.
    Honestly OBumble, you sound as bad as some of the cycling fanatics on here sometimes. There space for everyone.
    There's clearly space in those photos for everyone.

You're missing the point.

Those computer-generated images are of carefully chosen places, and for the most part are missing pedestrians: all three major modes (four-wheeler, two-wheeler and foot) need to be represented all along the route

There are equally spaces along the Salthill seafront where there is not enough space for grade-separated lanes for each mode, unless a significant amount of space is removed from pedestrians. Here are some other pics - I snipped from Streetview rather than taking my own, so I didn't have to blur the people out.

552098.PNG

552099.PNG

And that's without mentioning the totally inadequate provision for bus-stop and shelters in the area: most stops are effectively out in the middle of the carriageway.

You're missing the point.

Those computer-generated images are of carefully chosen places, and for the most part are missing pedestrians: all three major modes (four-wheeler, two-wheeler and foot) need to be represented all along the route

There are equally spaces along the Salthill seafront where there is not enough space for grade-separated lanes for each mode, unless a significant amount of space is removed from pedestrians. Here are some other pics - I snipped from Streetview rather than taking my own, so I didn't have to blur the people out.

552098.PNG

552099.PNG

And that's without mentioning the totally inadequate provision for bus-stop and shelters in the area: most stops are effectively out in the middle of the carriageway.

You seem to use photos that show one of the few narrow sections of footpath along the prom.
    Won't the bike path be where cars currently park on the main road.
    And where the path narrows at the end of the prom, where cars cannot park because of the junction, surely that entire section of path, road and junction can be engineered to ensure space for all users.

552098.PNG

Changing from roundabout to lights should free up road space here. Even not I'm sure the space could be configured better to give space for all.

552099.PNG

This section is shown on two of the images you're giving out about - it shows no reduction of of pedestrian share of space and the crossing distance actually reduced.

Ez5EFESWYAEuCoe?format=jpg&name=large

There are several engineering options to solve that. Bus stop island like elsewhere in the city or yield section on the bike lane etc. The council can hire 22 active travel staff to solve the details.

• Advertisement

Fitz* wrote: »

https://twitter.com/OwenHanleyLives/status/1388845801707802626?s=19

Advertisement