Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overlooked TV shows

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭MfMan

Anyone for Longmire? Haven't seen anything like a full series but the earlier series at least I found very easy to dip in and out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,522 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Halt and catch fire. Superb writing, characters that you become invested in and a great premise. It was like saying goodbye to good friends when it ended. Four seasons seemed the perfect length as well. Over looked perhaps due to the tremendous amount of quality TV around at that time.

That was an excellent show.
    One my all time favourites .

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Rebel_Kn1ght

The Americans. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2149175/

Second time watching it was even better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭NoLuckLarry

FX are showing Gang Related at the moment and it’s an excellent series. Highly recommend (and absolutely sickened it got culled after first season because there was more so much more scope there for subsequent runs).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I remember watching a comedy on BBC years ago called Nighty Night.

Ive never heard it mentioned anywhere but its worth a watch if you like dark comedy. Theres a few well known faces from English tv in it as well.

Off the wall but brilliant, with a great 80's rock soundtrack.

Basically anything with Julia Davis is worth watching. Recent series of hers include Sally4ever and Camping.

MfMan wrote: »
    Anyone for Longmire? Haven't seen anything like a full series but the earlier series at least I found very easy to dip in and out of.

Longmire was great, the lead actor from Home and Away to Ballykissangel previously

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

Getting On - another quirky BBC comedy about staff on a geriatric ward. Funnier than it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Band of Brothers
    Babylon Berlin (if you don't mind the subtitles)
    Sons of Anarchy
    Better Call Saul
    Homeland
    Fauda (Israeli Homeland type)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

For me it's the Expanse. On season 5 of a 6 season run.
    All on Amazon Prime.

Proper hard science fiction.
    The space battles are probably the most realistic ever put on screen,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I did a rewatch of The Sopranos during dry January and February.

It has aged exceptionally well. I was a student, first job sort when it originally aired. Without getting too TV critic about it, I could really resonate with some of the themes much better now I was older. Loss being the main one.

It’s hardly overlooked though. It’s widely regarded as the best tv show ever made. I can’t disagree with that.

Utopia - the Channel 4 original that was axed after two seasons. The visuals, the soundtrack; the storyline - it had everything. Such an original show. The Famous Five meets the X-Files meets Twin Peaks meets an LSD trip.

The OP didn’t say that The Sopranos was overlooked. :confused: The whole point was that it’s not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    For me it's the Expanse. On season 5 of a 6 season run.
    All on Amazon Prime.

Proper hard science fiction.
    The space battles are probably the most realistic ever put on screen,

I'm finding Season 5 a real drag, I just can't get into it. I'm stuck on episode 3 or 4 for weeks now

Joziburg wrote: »
    Six Feet Under

Criminally overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

thegills wrote: »
    Band of Brothers
    Babylon Berlin (if you don't mind the subtitles)
    Sons of Anarchy
    Better Call Saul
    Homeland
    Fauda (Israeli Homeland type)

Great series but not sure what measure you are using to class Band of Brothers, Homeland or Better Call Saul as overlooked or not getting the recognition they deserve?

Band of Brothers won best miniseries in 2001 at multiple awards ceremonies.
    Better Call Saul has received Emmy nomination for Outstanding Drama Series for each of its five season.
    Homeland won 2011 and 2012 Golden Globe Awards for Best Television Series – Drama.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Joziburg wrote: »
    Six Feet Under

It still to this day is the most impactful ending of any TV show/Film that I have ever watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Cobra Kai.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Cobra Kai.

It's probably one of the biggest shows on Netflix so it's hardly overlooked. I've enjoyed it but if I'm honest, once you strip away the nostalgia from it, you're left with a pretty mediocre show. William Zabka's charm really adds a lot to the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

For All Mankind, The Expanse and for light relief (new series next week?) DCs Legends of Tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I'm finding Season 5 a real drag, I just can't get into it. I'm stuck on episode 3 or 4 for weeks now

The pacing is very strange as they're juggling separate storylines. Not a fan of the scenes back on Earth, they slow down the overall story, but it picks up around ep7.

• Advertisement

It's probably one of the biggest shows on Netflix so it's hardly overlooked. I've enjoyed it but if I'm honest, once you strip away the nostalgia from it, you're left with a pretty mediocre show. William Zabka's charm really adds a lot to the show.

It's really a pretty **** show reliant on 80s nostalgia

The Kominsky Method

• Registered Users Posts: 9,560 ✭✭✭billyhead

Gomorrah and Suburra. Also Fauda is very good.

JackTC wrote: »
    We hear about the likes of Breaking Bad, Sopranos and The Wire constantly. What are some of your tv shows that don't get the recognition they deserve.

For me it's Broadchurch. I genuinely think it's one of the greatest tv shows ever made and storytelling at its best.

Some people might say Broadchurch is very popular, but I think it deserves a place up there with Sopranos, BB, Game of Thrones, etc,...

Broadchurch season 1 was decent but the subsequent ones were rubbish

Up there with the Sopranos - not a chance.

Cardinal is definitely a tv show that deserves more recognition.

Not mind-blowing but a very good and very enjoyable 4 season crime series. Only 6 episodes per season so it doesn't drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

Boardwalk Empire, Yellowstone. Enjoyed both, visually very impressive and good plot lines too.

It still to this day is the most impactful ending of any TV show/Film that I have ever watched.

I was in a daze for a good day after that finale. And it’s not just the finale, the last three episodes are stellar. Easily the best series ending I’ve seen. Alan Ball’s only gripe was that he wished they had a higher budget for the make up at the end and I’d tend to agree. Ball said he was done with the show after series 4 and ready to move on but he still respected the show’s fans enough to give the last series his all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Keyzer wrote: »
    The Leftovers

An absolute masterpiece...

Yes but not overlooked. Not sure why people keep mentioning it in here

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Soupy Norman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

The Americans. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2149175/

Second time watching it was even better

Absolutely brilliant show loved every bit of it. I must start re-watching it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Criminally overlooked.

I tried watching Six Feet Under 20 years ago when I was 17/18 and just couldn't get into it. I gave it another go in 2019 not long after my mother passed away and I couldn't get enough of it. I think being 20 years older definitely helped in relating more to the show.

I'd like to add Escape from Dannemora and Ed to the thread. Ed was a comedy about a small town lawyer who runs a bowling alley. It aired a good few years ago now, innocent stuff but was good. Escape from Dannemora was about a prison escape resulting from prisoners entering into a sexual relationship with one of the female employees of the prison. I think it's based on a true story. Benicio Del Toro and Paul Dano are great in it.

Advertisement