Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overlooked TV shows

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Pure Mule

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

The man in the high castle.
    I really enjoyed it and didn't hear much about it other than it being on Amazon.

The last season isn't as strong as the rest but not in a way it ruins the story or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,230 ✭✭✭✭Penn

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    A massively acclaimed show

Not really overlooked at al

I'd call it overlooked and it would have been my first pick too. It's very critically acclaimed, but so few people have watched it from my experience. I even only watched it for the first time last year, and many people I know who'd be regular boxset watchers and the like either never watched it or never heard of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As with a lot of these kinds of threads, the debate could be had as to what qualifies as "overlooked". By whom? Critics or audiences; 'cos some suggestions were not ignored by the former, if even they couldn't claim many of the latter.

At first blush, my instinct would be to suggest something inherently "cult" or niche; so while it had a fairly healthy thread here on Boards, Netflix's "Dark" appeared to skirt along the margins, never entering many discussions in the mainstream press (and lord knows how it managed ratings wise given Netlfix's famously secretive data-points thereof)

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    As with a lot of these kinds of threads, the debate could be had as to what qualifies as "overlooked". By whom? Critics or audiences; 'cos some suggestions were not ignored by the former, if even they couldn't claim many of the latter.

At first blush, my instinct would be to suggest something inherently "cult" or niche; so while it had a fairly healthy thread here on Boards, Netflix's "Dark" appeared to skirt along the margins, never entering many discussions in the mainstream press (and lord knows how it managed ratings wise given Netlfix's famously secretive data-points thereof)

Dark is one alright. If that show had of been in English or made in the US it would have been hugely popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I would go with
    The Frankenstein chronicles
    Taboo
    Penny Dreadful ( not the Los Angeles one)
    Sharpe and the subsequent series'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    A massively acclaimed show

Not really overlooked at al

It was know about, but people didn't give it a chance because it was so, well, depressing.

Man I adored that show!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭bauney

Treme
    The Deuce
    Both from the director of The Wire (David Simon)

I did a rewatch of The Sopranos during dry January and February.

It has aged exceptionally well. I was a student, first job sort when it originally aired. Without getting too TV critic about it, I could really resonate with some of the themes much better now I was older. Loss being the main one.

It’s hardly overlooked though. It’s widely regarded as the best tv show ever made. I can’t disagree with that.

Utopia - the Channel 4 original that was axed after two seasons. The visuals, the soundtrack; the storyline - it had everything. Such an original show. The Famous Five meets the X-Files meets Twin Peaks meets an LSD trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

Boardwalk Empire.
    For me its top three of all time.
    Already mentioned but another vote here for The Deuce.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Sledgehammer, 80s pxxxtake at Dirty Harry type cops

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Sledgehammer, 80s pxxxtake at Dirty Harry type cops
    Trust me. I know what I'm doing. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

JackTC wrote: »
    We hear about the likes of Breaking Bad, Sopranos and The Wire constantly. What are some of your tv shows that don't get the recognition they deserve.

For me it's Broadchurch. I genuinely think it's one of the greatest tv shows ever made and storytelling at its best.

Some people might say Broadchurch is very popular, but I think it deserves a place up there with Sopranos, BB, Game of Thrones, etc,...

Broadchurch had a brilliant first season and an absolutely atrocious second season. One of the worst turnarounds I've ever seen in television.

Someone mentioned Halt and Catch Fire. Loved that and it deserves more recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Banshee
    Justified
    How to get away with Murder

Just 3 of the shows I have never really heard anyone discussing over here but were absolutely brilliant from start to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Southland

Saw the thread and said I'll mention that. Southland is brilliant and I'm still surprised it hasn't continuously popped up on terrestrial or streaming TV.

And another one for Banshee from me.

I enjoyed both more than the Sorpanos, the show people use to measure excellence in TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Torchwood, the 2 BBC2 seasons,

• Registered Users Posts: 27,882 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ultraviolet, a Channel 4 miniseries which took an X-Files take on the Vampire mythology.
    There were only 6 episodes, definitely binge-worthy.

Excellent cast including Idris Elba, Jack Davenport, Stephen Moyer, Susannah Harker.
    I wasn't familiar with the work of Australian actor Philip Quast but thought he was very good in it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,882 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bosch.

One to seek out if you like The Wire, though not on the same level as that show.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

The Leftovers

An absolute masterpiece...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Keyzer wrote: »
    The Leftovers

An absolute masterpiece...

Any idea where I can watch it in Ireland? Checked Sky and no dice

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

Generation Kill - excellent (and apparently very accurate) mini-series following Marines and a Rolling Stone reporter during the invasion of Iraq in 2003. If you enjoyed something like Jarhead this is for you.

The End of the F***ing World - weird and very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭griffin100

Ideal with Johnny Vegas - an early BBC3 programme. Haven’t sent it repeated in a long time. Early series were best.

I’m also a huge fan of Early Doors, pity there’s only 12 episodes.

yermandan wrote: »
    Any idea where I can watch it in Ireland? Checked Sky and no dice

Amazon have it as far as I know. Dunno if its included with Prime or how it works though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Most recently, probably The Deuce. Don't get me wrong, it's not like no-one watched it, but it was utterly superb drama, and most people I mentioned it to had never heard of it.

Quarry on Cinemax was another belter of crime-drama that really deserved a bigger audience - though thankfully while it was cancelled, it works as a one-shot perfectly well.

Banshee had a loyal following throughout its run, but it also deserved more recognition. It was bonkers from start to finish - not to mention outrageously violent and generally excessive - with amazing characters and action scenes.

Someone mentioned Dark. One of the finest TV shows ever made in my opinion, but I think being foreign language holds it back from truly breaking out into the mainstream discussion.

Could go on all day really.

I remember watching a comedy on BBC years ago called Nighty Night.

Ive never heard it mentioned anywhere but its worth a watch if you like dark comedy. Theres a few well known faces from English tv in it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

billyhead wrote: »
    The Shield is brilliant.

The Shield is criminally overlooked. It’s superb. My all time favourite TV show.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Joziburg

Six Feet Under

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

NewRed2 wrote: »
    Giri Haji
    Lilyhammer
    Kingdom
    Narcos
    The Night Of

Lilyhammer started out pretty good, but I gave up when it started resembling scooby doo. A new character appears and has some interaction with the main character that could give the game away. The rest if the episode is them sorting it out, much like scoob and the gang figuring out that this week's ghost/monster was the local shady businessman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Pure Mule

I also liked Love is the Drug, which was out before Pure Mule. Set in Louth.

Advertisement