Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overlooked TV shows

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

The one i am watching now is Snowfall set in the early eighties it about the start of the crack epidemic in L A, very good show it's just finished series 4 well worth watching

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

robbie67 wrote: »
    The one i am watching now is Snowfall set in the early eighties it about the start of the crack epidemic in L A, very good show it's just finished series 4 well worth watching

I had a feeling I'd see this here. Solid show. The writing is really poor at times, but it's also really great at times. It's certainly a more consistent show than Power, which was up and down like a yo-yo.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Heckler wrote: »
    I know Justified has a solid reputation but could be considered overlooked in relation to some of the big boys like Sopranos, the Wire etc.

The characters and dialogue are some of the best things I've ever seen on TV.

One that is for sure overlooked is Southland. Outstanding TV.

I just finished this recently, and was extremely impressed. Boyd Crowder is possibly one of the most entertaining characters on TV. As you've said already, the dialogue is great; so much so that I've started reading Elmore Leonard books. While on the topic of Elmore, and overlooked TV shows, the Get Shorty series is well worth a watch too. I thoroughly enjoyed all 3 seasons. It's possibly Chris O'Dowd's best work.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Not sure if these are overlooked or just forgotten:
    Person of Interest, 5 seasons (I think) 20+ 1 hr episodes per season
    Firefly, only 1 season but fantastic Sci fi

More recent
    The Americans, really got into the characters, final season built up to brilliant ending (imho).
    Kingdom, S. Korean zombie series on Netflix - how this hasn't got more coverage I don't know.
    Halt and Catch Fire, only saw 1 seasons (which was brilliant) before it dropped off Prime, heard the following seasons were even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I just finished this recently, and was extremely impressed. Boyd Crowder is possibly one of the most entertaining characters on TV. As you've said already, the dialogue is great; so much so that I've started reading Elmore Leonard books. While on the topic of Elmore, and overlooked TV shows, the Get Shorty series is well worth a watch too. I thoroughly enjoyed all 3 seasons. It's possibly Chris O'Dowd's best work.

Get Shorty is a great shout, really enjoyed that CO'D is class how he changes from charming guy to mobster in a blink of an eye (that's not a spoiler BTW, just his character trait throughout).

Another one, which I think got good reviews but is rarely talked about, Mr Inbetween, currently on Fox / nowTV. Aussie drama with black comedy moments about a hitman/fixer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

rosser44 wrote: »
    Detectorists - a BBC comedy written and directed by Mackenzie Crook.

It's a quaint and heartwarming comedy series set around an amateur metal detecting club. It won a few BAFTAs and was broadcast on BBC 4 which explains its overlookedness (is that a word?)

The whole series seems to be on youtube which is handy.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

American Gothic from the mid90s,
    The Friday the 13th TV series from late 80s,
    Grimm, from a few years back,
    Stumptown, only got 8 episodes and cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

Spartacus. First season was a visceral joy to watch.
    Then the prequel gave us more John Hannah which was always a good thing.
    The show definitely struggled after the passing of Andy Whitfield, but the final season was a great spectacle.

Did a rewatch of this, excellent first season, thought second dragged and the final season had an epic finale. But the special effects have really aged badly imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Homelander wrote: »

Someone mentioned Dark. One of the finest TV shows ever made in my opinion, but I think being foreign language holds it back from truly breaking out into the mainstream discussion.

The unimaginative Anglophone bubble which Ireland finds itself in. Only bothers watching anything in English.

Thought To The Lake was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Tzardine wrote: »
    Watchmen was the best thing I have seen on TV in a long time.

I thought it was excellent.

But it's not overlooked, it won Emmys, like The Leftovers which someone else mentioned.

• Advertisement

Counterpart.

J.K. Simmons is great in it in a dual role. Twice the fun.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4643084/?ref_=ttep_ep_tt

Friday Night Lights

Not sure if this should be considered overlooked, but most people I've mentioned it to had never seen it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758745/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Bosch.

One to seek out if you like The Wire, though not on the same level as that show.

Clicked on the thread title to recommend this

Excellent show.

Goliath is quite good and LA looks brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Friday Night Lights
    Not sure if this should be considered overlooked, but most people I've mentioned it to had never seen it.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758745/

Brilliant show, a bit overlooked here perhaps given the subject matter - American Football high school team - although a bit like The Wire, that's just the McGuffin to tell the story of a place, West Texas.
    I think I read an Irish review of it which said it reminded them of the role of GAA in rural West of Ireland.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭billyhead

Would Narcos be considered overlooked?

For the OP i see there is a thread recommending The Bay if you liked Broadchurch.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The Middleman. Fun series cancelled before the final episode of its only season aired.
    Alphas. The lesser known series in the Eureka/Warehouse 13 universe.
    Bryan Fuller series like Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me and Pushing Daisies.
    Guess they also all fall into cult territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,973 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

American Gothic from the mid90s,
    The Friday the 13th TV series from late 80s,
    Grimm, from a few years back,
    Stumptown, only got 8 episodes and cancelled
    Stumptown was 18 episodes? They were defo shown on sky

• Registered Users Posts: 85,271 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

FinnC wrote: »
    I’m a big fan of Chicago Fire but don’t know anyone else that watches it.

I enjoy all the Chicago franchise (Fire, PD and Med), I think The Shield fans might enjoy Chicago PD with Voight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I loved No Offence, thought it was excellent

• Advertisement

If you can handle subtitles, the french language adaptations of the Maigret stories starring Bruno Cremer are 'tres authentique'. They go much deeper than just murder mystery puzzles, they are about the passions of human nature that lead people to such an extreme act, all anchored by a commanding performance by Cremer. 'Whydunnits' as much as 'whodunnits'.

ps Some of the stories are available on DVD from the public library system here when it reopens.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Mulbert

Christ almighty, Deadwood.! By far the most underrated TV ever. Al Swerengen greatest character ever on TV. And Ian McShane giving the greatest performance ever.

And 13 pages in I had to tell you this.

Deadwood.

gmisk wrote: »
    Stumptown was 18 episodes? They were defo shown on sky

Rte2 only showed 8

• Registered Users Posts: 31,973 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Rte2 only showed 8
    Ah right all 18 are also on Amazon prime just checked.
    It was fun, Cobie Smulders was the best thing about it by a mile

Northern Exposure wasnt overlooked at the time but has fallen off the radar completely. Some of the chemistry between Rob Morrow and Janine Turner is as good as anything on screen in film or TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NCS

CastorTroy wrote: »
    The Middleman. Fun series cancelled before the final episode of its only season aired.
    Alphas. The lesser known series in the Eureka/Warehouse 13 universe.
    Bryan Fuller series like Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me and Pushing Daisies.
    Guess they also all fall into cult territory.

Eureka/Warehouse 13/Alphas - definitely.
    Babylon 5 - superb, let down a little by external factors (wrapping the main arc up after 4 rather than 5 seasons for example) but a wonderful watch.

Otherwise:

Haven - started well, showed signs of sagging then found its momentum again.
    Manifest - Lost-lite - lots of flannel but some good moments make it worth persisting with
    Dark Matter - had its moments

NCS wrote: »
    Eureka/Warehouse 13/Alphas - definitely.
    Babylon 5 - superb, let down a little by external factors (wrapping the main arc up after 4 rather than 5 seasons for example) but a wonderful watch.

In the days before boxset binges... I rented an entire season of Babylon 5 on VHS as individual tapes over the course of a weekend to catchup before new season aired on C4.
    Its one of the great TV watching experiences of my life. I envy people who watch it for the first time, thats how good it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,271 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mulbert wrote: »
    Christ almighty, Deadwood.! By far the most underrated TV ever. Al Swerengen greatest character ever on TV. And Ian McShane giving the greatest performance ever.

And 13 pages in I had to tell you this.

Deadwood.

Again another show mentioned in many best tv show lists so not overlooked or underrated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭I see sheep

billyhead wrote: »
    Would Narcos be considered overlooked?

One of the most watched shows on Netflix? No I don't think so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,246 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Blue Bloods and Hudson and Rex are 2 shows I always record and rewatch :)

Advertisement