Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Overlooked TV shows

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

I know Justified has a solid reputation but could be considered overlooked in relation to some of the big boys like Sopranos, the Wire etc.

The characters and dialogue are some of the best things I've ever seen on TV.

One that is for sure overlooked is Southland. Outstanding TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Beagslife

The Newsroom
    Letterkenny

Both were hard to find but well worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭py

Another +1 to The Shield. Watch S01E01 and you'll be hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Archer

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mike_cork

The Shield is excellent, very few people I talk to have seen it.

+1

After seeing a recommendation on boards a few weeks back, I have been watching the shield.
    4 episodes left....What a cracking show.
    As another poster said, watch the first episode and you will be hooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

I'm finding Season 5 a real drag, I just can't get into it. I'm stuck on episode 3 or 4 for weeks now

:D Same as me..every time Naomi was on the screen i wanted to smash the TV :eek:
    Got there in the end but dont think i will be going back when season 6 is released.

Another one for the Shield. And Gomorrah too. Very suprised more people havent watched these.
    Dont know if it fits with the thread but Modern Family was great for watching with the family. Something for everyone..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

After so many mentioning Six Feet Under im downloading it now!

I've heard of it over the years but never took it seriously guess im old now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The marvellous Mrs Maisel.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    :D Same as me..every time Naomi was on the screen i wanted to smash the TV :eek:
    Got there in the end but dont think i will be going back when season 6 is released.

Another one for the Shield. And Gomorrah too. Very suprised more people havent watched these.
    Dont know if it fits with the thread but Modern Family was great for watching with the family. Something for everyone..

Modern Family?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

Rubicon
    An AMC production for just a single series in 2010. Espionage thriller in post 9/11 America, centred on an anlayst that appears to work for a intelligence company contracted to US government. It's not fast paced but I was intrigued by it and sad that it got cancelled after one series. Might go back to it to see how it's aged.
    Anyone into le Carré type stuff will enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

duffer247 wrote: »
    Rubicon
    An AMC production for just a single series in 2010. Espionage thriller in post 9/11 America, centred on an anlayst that appears to work for a intelligence company contracted to US government. It's not fast paced but I was intrigued by it and sad that it got cancelled after one series. Might go back to it to see how it's aged.
    Anyone into le Carré type stuff will enjoy.

I remember this pitty only got one season as I really wanted to see where it was going .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Some of the obscure C4 stuff is very good.

The mighty boosh, or Garth Marenghi's Dark Place.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Boss-Kelsey Grammer as the Mayor of Chicago had a great 1st season,so so 2nd and was unfortunately cancelled

Carnivale-Another 2 season wonder set during Americas great depression.

Both were good and deserved to have their stories finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Viewpoint. From about now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭sioda

Just finished a discovery of witches and have to say surprised not more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭billyhead

A few more Zero Zero Zero, Billions and Succession.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,786 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

billyhead wrote: »
    A few more Zero Zero Zero, Billions and Succession.

I love Succession, not sure how well it will age but it's not remotely overlooked in terms of awards or critical acclaim ... perhaps it hasn't had big audience as it is a cable show on both sides of the Atlantic.

Awarded already along with a rake of awards for acting:
    British Academy Television Award for Best International Programme
    Golden Globe Award for Best Television Series – Drama
    Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Drama Series

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

py wrote: »
    Another +1 to The Shield. Watch S01E01 and you'll be hooked.

I watched the first series or so when TV3 showed it ,wasn't pushed on it , one clichéd character and a load of non-entities , Hill Street Blues did the same,better 40 years ago

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Boss-Kelsey Grammer as the Mayor of Chicago had a great 1st season,so so 2nd and was unfortunately cancelled

They're both good choices and never got much recognition. Some of the shows being called "overlooked" here lasted 5+seasons and gained multiple awards!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,807 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Rev - Olivia Coleman before she was a (UK) national treasure and Tom Hollander, who should be a national treasure. And Liam Neeson pops up as God :)

River - cop drama miniseries that's a little different to typical British crime dramas, and Stellan Skarsgard is heartbreaking.

And in a different vein (no pun intended) Offspring is an Australian hospital/family/relationship comedy drama that is much, much better than the likes of Grey's Anatomy.

Both were good and deserved to have their stories finished.
    TG4 showed both, Boss was somehow cold to me, Carnivale ,unusual but quirky

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 MitchBuch

I have been watching Baywatch, I am up to the 4th series now. I know that it is very famous but I've never known anyone who actually watches it. It seemed to have a very high budget and the locations are nice to look at. I also like the character of Mitch and his relationship with Hobe, it very much reminds me of Mufasa and Simba from the Lion King. One thing I don't like is the music videos they play in every episode, there is 5 videos of footage in every episode that has no need to be there. There was another issue that I noticed, Mitch was paralysed in one episode and finished the episode on a Zimmer frame and in the next episode he was in a kick boxing ring.

MitchBuch wrote: »
    I have been watching Baywatch, I am up to the 4th series now. I know that it is very famous but I've never known anyone who actually watches it. It seemed to have a very high budget and the locations are nice to look at. I also like the character of Mitch and his relationship with Hobe, it very much reminds me of Mufasa and Simba from the Lion King. One thing I don't like is the music videos they play in every episode, there is 5 videos of footage in every episode that has no need to be there.

Erika Eliniak in slo-mo, as Belinda Carlisle said, Heaven is a place on earth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭4Ad

Dirty Sexy Money, only had 1 season..Great cast, dysfunctional family a bit like the family in Succession...

• Registered Users Posts: 84,807 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

4Ad wrote: »
    Dirty Sexy Money, only had 1 season..Great cast, dysfunctional family a bit like the family in Succession...

It had 2 seasons, Donald Sutherland and Peter Krause were great in but season 2 concentrated more on the romances

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭4Ad

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    It had 2 seasons, Donald Sutherland and Peter Krause were great in but season 2 concentrated more on the romances

There was 2, I stand corrected !!

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭FinnC

I’m a big fan of Chicago Fire but don’t know anyone else that watches it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I watched the first series or so when TV3 showed it ,wasn't pushed on it , one clichéd character and a load of non-entities , Hill Street Blues did the same,better 40 years ago

The Shield is a very different show to HSB. It’s more in line with The Sopranos. It’s makes you root for the main character, only for the audience to slowly realise they’ve invested in an irredeemable monster. Watching one season gives you no idea what Mackey actually is. I still rate The Shield’s finale as the best I’ve seen on tv.

I will say, despite the ending hook, that the pilot episode isn’t great. There’s weird vibes and tropes from your standard police procedurals that almost immediately disappears in subsequent episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Watchmen was the best thing I have seen on TV in a long time.

Advertisement