Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Greatest Irish No.1 of the 90s

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

PM sent, thanks Kolido for all the work that went into this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Coolio - Gangstas Paradise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

begbysback wrote: »
    Coolio - Gangstas Paradise

Well I would prefer that but unfortunately it went in an earlier round :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

20 votes in so far, a superb turnout, thanks everyone.

I guess this is as good a time as any to promote my next contest. I'm interested in trying both of these, not sure which first.

Most overrated song ever or greatest UK No.2 ever

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Kolido wrote:

Over rated song seems like it could garner significant controversy.

Go with that :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Kolido wrote: »

I guess this is as good a time as any to promote my next contest. I'm interested in trying both of these, not sure which first.

Arguably some were underrated as they should have made number 1...? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,641 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I PM'd last night Kol, can you believe earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Greatest UK No. 2 would be good. Tonnes of brilliant songs never made it to No. 1 (and many made it to No. 1 undeservedly!). I actually think the greatest UK No. 3 ever would also be very interesting.

Would it be a situation where posters nominate songs to vote on? Otherwise, it would take an awful long time for the host to put together. i.e. all the songs! Even Number 2s (and probably even more so for Number 3s) for a specific decade would have a lot more songs than Number 1s - a lot of Number 1s stayed at the top for multiple weeks, which did not happen to the same degree below Number 1.

EDIT: Most underrated song is good too. Definitely a nominate your entry job and might want to specifically disallow Number 1s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭abff

Greatest UK number 2? Hard to think of one that would beat Fairytale of New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

abff wrote: »
    Greatest UK number 2? Hard to think of one that would beat Fairytale of New York.

No, no it wouldn't be hard. Pretty much anything could beat it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭abff

No, no it wouldn't be hard. Pretty much anything could beat it.

I figured that might get a reaction. Maybe it would win both of Kolido’s proposed next contests?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I like both Kol, I would participate in either!

abff wrote: »
    I figured that might get a reaction. Maybe it would win both of Kolido’s proposed next contests?

As regards most underrated, Fairtytale of New York would hardly fit - it gets plenty of mention and attention every year!

I just realised that I turned Kolido's overrated into underrated - two very different concepts! :o

Overrated could be quite controversial alright...not that any example has been given recently. :D

I think underrated might exercise music lovers' minds more than overrated, which might put them in bad form!

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I PM'd last night Kol, can you believe earlier

Yeah but for the 80s contest!

Oh Liz :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

:pac:

Greatest UK No. 2 would be good. Tonnes of brilliant songs never made it to No. 1 (and many made it to No. 1 undeservedly!). I actually think the greatest UK No. 3 ever would also be very interesting.

Would it be a situation where posters nominate songs to vote on? Otherwise, it would take an awful long time for the host to put together. i.e. all the songs! Even Number 2s (and probably even more so for Number 3s) for a specific decade would have a lot more songs than Number 1s - a lot of Number 1s stayed at the top for multiple weeks, which did not happen to the same degree below Number 1.

EDIT: Most underrated song is good too. Definitely a nominate your entry job and might want to specifically disallow Number 1s.

Yeah ideally I would just run the best ever and let you guys nominate, though I think that might also but a lot of work on everyone to research which songs are eligible. I know there are plenty of lists out there, but it's a lot of songs to go through. Not really sure which would be the best to run it.
    To make things even more complicated, I was thinking of extending it across the Irish, UK, and US charts (Hot 100), so any song that never topped any of those charts but reached No.2 in at least one of them.

Regarding the No.3, never really thought it was a thing, might be more difficult to find lists for that?

Yeah ideally I would just run the best ever and let you guys nominate, though I think that might also but a lot of work on everyone to research which songs are eligible. I know there are plenty of lists out there, but it's a lot of songs to go through. Not really sure which would be the best to run it.
    To make things even more complicated, I was thinking of extending it across the Irish, UK, and US charts (Hot 100), so any song that never topped any of those charts but reached No.2 in at least one of them.

Regarding the No.3, never really thought it was a thing, might be more difficult to find lists for that?

Probably considered a bit more obscure, but I did find one list:
    http://www.pharoah.co.uk/number-3s-80s.htm

Yeah but for the 80s contest!

:D

• Advertisement

Going to call the result now, don't think there will be any more votes.

Let me say thanks to all of you for playing and following along, I hope it was fun.

I will be back soon with another tournament. Hope to see you all then

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Thanks Kolido. The work put in was much appreciated as usual. Take a break.

We won’t hold the preferences of the Irish single buying public against you....for too many months.

Boardsies greatest Irish no. 1 of the 90s is .....

Oasis - Don't Look Back In Anger

Apart from liking the song more, most folk mentioned that this band defined the decade and deserved to win. I'm not really an Oasis fan but can't argue with that.

No Doubt - Don't Speak 9 Vs 15 Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger

Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger

Liz
    Necro
    CeeJay
    Bubbly
    QB
    Purple
    LeVar
    Channel
    Strawbs
    Mack
    Hilda
    Collie
    Hillbilly
    Archeron
    abff

No Doubt - Don't Speak

Purgative
    Declan
    Cosmo
    Rebe
    Aris
    Lassy
    Ari
    Shane
    Sawduck

Woo hoo! If it couldn't be Whigfield I'm delighted it was Oasis

tenor.gif

Thanks for running Kol this was great fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Worthy winner.

Anthemic and as Kolido said - Oasis were the archetypal 90s band.

Stick a bunch of 30/40 somethings in a pub, stick this on later in the evening and try to find one not singing along.

Worthy winner.

Thank you Kol :)

What a tune, great lyrics and vocal by Noel, song of 80s :p 90s and 00s

Someday a reunion will happen for Oasis

As usual a great tournie Kol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Can't argue with the winner. I was torn between both finalists initially, but for sing-a-long-ability and just the craic of ​always changing the lyrics so that you're screaming "Don't Look Back You W@nker" in your friends face, had to go with the Manchunian Massive.

Cheers for running Kol. Look forward to your next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Great winner, either song would have been worthy of winning.
    Another great tournament Kol cheers for doing it, I look forward to your next one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Thanks Kol, great job. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Pity most of my favourites fell at the fences but is was a great ride nonetheless, best I've had for a while anyway.

Advertisement