Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Greatest Irish No.1 of the 90s

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Kolido wrote: »

So there we have it folks, our quarter finalists. I plan to run the qf tomorrow morning around 10am, sf tomorrow evening and the final on Wednesday.
    Thanks everyone, see you tomorrow.

Your final 8

Bruce Springsteen - Streets of Philadelphia
    Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger
    Sarah Brightman & Andrea Bocelli - Con Te Partiro (Time to Say Goodbye)
    Take That - Never Forget
    Whigfield - Saturday Night
    No Doubt - Don't Speak
    Bill Whelan - Riverdance
    Blur - Country House

Thanks Kolido. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Thanks Kolido. :)

You're the scoundrel who eliminated OMC's How Bizarre.

You shouldn't be showing your face in these parts, there'll be trouble afoot. Best get out of dodge, sunshine.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia1.tenor.com%2Fimages%2F25d592f7fbaab756203f5750bf70b700%2Ftenor.gif%3Fitemid%3D4067710&f=1&nofb=1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Interesting last eight. I would say it's about 50% good songs 50% absolute crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,640 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anyone but Blur for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Like a few others, I am somewhat underwhelmed by what is left. There are three reasonable songs left, and a mixture of the bland and the awful. In fact, I had voted against one of the decent songs previously as there were even better songs against it! :)

That awful song with the backing vocals of a duck better not be in the final! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

The quarter finals have been randed, could we see a battle of the Brit pops?.....all will be revealed soon. See you at 10am folks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I would have thought Park Life was much more likely to get to no 1 than Country House, it was getting almost non-stop airplay when it came out.

Whigfield- a song with it's own dance tends to stay in the public consciousness much longer, I am suprised that we didn't see La Macarena in the contest.
    Also this battle between Oasis and Blur was a load of bull. Like Beatles and Stones again. Why couldn't you just like both?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I am suprised that we didn't see La Macarena in the contest.

Made it to No.3 in Ireland

I would have thought Park Life was much more likely to get to no 1 than Country House, it was getting almost non-stop airplay when it came out.

Whigfield- a song with it's own dance tends to stay in the public consciousness much longer, I am surprised that we didn't see La Macarena in the contest.
    Also this battle between Oasis and Blur was a load of bull. Like Beatles and Stones again. Why couldn't you just like both?

I mentioned earlier in the tread that I was surprise Blur hadn't more No1s, in fact they only had 2 UK No1s and just the 1 here over there career.
    In contrast, Oasis had 8 UK No1s and 4 here.

I plan on doing a full analysis across the Irish, UK, and US charts after this, will post the results here.
    I'm guessing there is a lot less crossover between the Irish/UK No1s and the US than you would think

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Kolido wrote: »
    I mentioned earlier in the tread that I was surprise Blur hadn't more No1s, in fact they only had 2 UK No1s and just the 1 here over there career.
    In contrast, Oasis had 8 UK No1s and 4 here.

I plan on doing a full analysis across the Irish, UK, and US charts after this, will post the results here.
    I'm guessing there is a lot less crossover between the Irish/UK No1s and the US than you would think
    Blur and Oasis released Country House and Roll With It on the same day in 1995 to see who could sell the most. Blur won but they semi-cheated by releasing their single on tape and charging much less for it.

The irony of it is that both Noel and Damon have since said that both those songs were sh1t :D

• Advertisement

Blur and Oasis released Country House and Roll With It on the same day in 1995 to see who could sell the most. Blur won but they semi-cheated by releasing their single on tape and charging much less for it.

The irony of it is that both Noel and Damon have since said that both those songs were sh1t :D

IMO, Country House is a pretty bland offering and I have voted against it in every round so far. I may have to vote for it yet depending on who they are drawn against! I like a lot of Blur songs but unfortunately none of them got to Number 1 in the Irish Charts. As regards Roll with It, I think that's a good Oasis song and is better than Don't Look Back in Anger.

Welcome to the Quarter Finals

Most votes in 1 hour
    If there is a tie, 30 mins golden vote rule followed by least conceded in previous rounds followed by my vote

QF/M1

No Doubt - Don't Speak Vs Bill Whelan - Riverdance

QF/M2

Blur - Country House Vs Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

No Doubt - Don't Speak - Riverdance has gone way too far at this point.

Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger - better song. Nothing against Blurs track, I don't mind it but it's not anthemic like Don't Look Back in Anger.

Bill Whelan - Riverdance

If it were country house vs roll with it then I’d vote country house. But it’s don’t look back in anger so no contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Baybay

No Doubt
    Oasis

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

No Doubt - Don't Speak

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

• Registered Users Posts: 11,323 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Bill Whelan - Riverdance
    Blur - Country House

Not just to cancel out Necro's vote, though in and of itself that is hugely satisfying :D.

Riverdance summed up Ireland in the 90s, just as Jack's thing did moreso than an imported pop meh. Blur, I just like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭Archeron

No Doubt - Don't Speak

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Bill Whelan - Riverdance ; like both songs a lot, but you can't beat the thrill of Riverdance coming on on a night out, legs flying everywhere, glasses smashing, tables being knocked over, the danger of being kicked in the face... :pac:

Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger ; prefer Blur as a band overall, but Country House is far from their greatest offering, so have to give the nod to the Gallaghers on this occasion.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Purgative wrote:
    Riverdance summed up Ireland in the 90s, just as Jack's thing did moreso than an imported pop meh. Blur, I just like it.

I look forward to this reason being acceptable for Mark McCabe in the Noughties contest :D

No Doubt - Don't Speak Vs Bill Whelan - Riverdance - Tough one here as I really like both. It's a strange one as I voted every time for No Doubt but only half the time for Riverdance, as there were even better songs up against it, but I have to plump for Riverdance!

Blur - Country House Vs Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger - It happened sooner than I thought: have to vote for Blur's offering over Oasis's one! Neither great songs, just alright.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Bill Whelan - Riverdance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Necro wrote: »
    I look forward to this reason being acceptable for Mark McCabe in the Noughties contest :D

I'm not above reusing mindless reasoning, that I dream up. :D

Bill Whelan - Riverdance ; like both songs a lot, but you can't beat the thrill of Riverdance coming on one a night out, legs flying everywhere, glasses smashing, tables being knocked over, the danger of being kicked in the face... :pac:

:D

Purgative wrote:
    I'm not above reusing mindless reasoning, that I dream up.

Just checked, it's actually (Maniac 2000) the fifth best selling single in the history of the Irish Charts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Where’s coolio?

Advertisement