Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Greatest Irish No.1 of the 90s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Sarah Brightman & Andrea Bocelli - Con Te Partiro (Time to Say Goodbye)
    Whigfield - Saturday Night

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Bruce Springsteen - Streets of Philadelphia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Bruce Springsteen - Streets of Philadelphia 8 Vs 10 Sarah Brightman & Andrea Bocelli - Con Te Partiro (Time to Say Goodbye)
    Whigfield - Saturday Night 10 Vs 7 Take That - Never Forget

We have our final 4. Semi-Final will run tonight, it will be most votes in 2 hours, so hope to see all later and thanks as always.

Your final 4

No Doubt - Don't Speak
    Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

PaN2Id.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Everything about that woman annoys me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Kolido wrote: »
    Bruce Springsteen - Streets of Philadelphia 8 Vs 10 Sarah Brightman & Andrea Bocelli - Con Te Partiro (Time to Say Goodbye)

We have our final 4. Semi-Final will run tonight, it will be most votes in 2 hours, so hope to see all later and thanks as always.

Your final 4

No Doubt - Don't Speak

If it is the first two against each other and the second two against each other, that makes it much easier for me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

begbysback wrote: »
    Gotta be kiddin me, we should sticky the names that voted for whigfield, forever named and shamed
    begbysback wrote: »
    Oh dear god
    Everything about that woman annoys me.
    If it is the first two against each other and the second two against each other, that makes it much easier for me! :D

91sn32Q.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Your final 4

No Doubt - Don't Speak

In future times researchers will find this thread most interesting when attempting to assess the psychological impact of locking people down for too long.

Thinking of Riverdance reminded me of the Eurovision 1994, where it all started as an interval act. It took place in The Point, Dublin. Then I remembered that Ireland won the Eurovision that year - three in a row! The winner was Rock and Rolls Kids by Paul Harrington and Charlie McGettigan. It was, of course, somewhat overshadowed on the night by the Riverdance extravaganza!

Nevertheless, I was curious that it did not turn up in this tournament. I was surprised to find out that it stopped at Number 2 in the Irish Charts. Linda Martin's Why Me (1992) and Niamh Kavanagh's In Your Eyes (1993) did reach Number 1. I was then curious about Ireland's last Eurovision winner, Eimear Quinn's The Voice (1996). It stopped at Number 3.

Looking back over my above post, I wondered about Marc Robert's entry for Ireland in the Eurovision of 1997 - Mysterious Woman. It came second and that's the last time to date that Ireland was in the top five in the Eurovision. Remembering how popular that song was at the time, I checked Wikipedia to find that this was another song that stalled at Number 2 in the Irish Charts!

Fun fact: Riverdance by Bill Whelan holds the record for the most weeks ever at Number 1 in the Irish Charts. That was 18 weeks at Number 1 in 1994. The second highest for the 1990s, as opposed to all time, was the 1990 Republic of Ireland World Cup Squad with Put 'Em Under Pressure. That spent 13 weeks at the top in 1990.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Fun fact: Riverdance by Bill Whelan holds the record for the most weeks ever at Number 1 in the Irish Charts. That was 18 weeks at Number 1 in 1994. The second highest for the 1990s, as opposed to all time, was the 1990 Republic of Ireland World Cup Squad with Put 'Em Under Pressure. That spent 13 weeks at the top in 1990.

Those two should be the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,641 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

If Whigfield wins everyone should attempt her hair plaits even those without hair draw them on :p

The Irish single buyer is a strange animal. They seem to ignore all the good songs released by band X and instead buy their crappest song by the armful.

And all those Westlife no 1s :eek: I think I remember them saying at one stage that they have had more no 1s than the Beatles!

Anyway i really don't see the point in buying singles and never did. Give me an album everytime thank you very much.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    If Whigfield wins everyone should attempt her hair plaits even those without hair draw them on :p
    I suppose you'll want us all to dress in a towel and do the dance while filming ourselves too.
    :o

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

And all those Westlife no 1s I think I remember them saying at one stage that they have had more no 1s than the Beatles!

That's more down to them being Irish than anything else I suspect. We're a rather patriotic bunch at times :pac:

Necro wrote: »
    That's more down to them being Irish than anything else I suspect. We're a rather patriotic bunch at times :pac:

giphy.gif

Patriotism is it? Don't think I don't know what you're up to.
    You just want those royalty cheques to keep on rolling in :P

:D

I suppose you'll want us all to dress in a towel and do the dance while filming ourselves too.
    :o

No the towel would cover the plaits and if Riverdance would have won we could do our best Flately and Butler dancing

Guys, could we finish this tonight, 1 hour for the semis and 1 hour for the final?

Guys, could we finish this tonight, 1 hour for the semis and 1 hour for the final?

Lets stick to the original plan, don't want anyone to miss out.

Semi finals on the way.

Most votes in 2 hours.
    If there is a tie, 30 mins golden vote followed by least conceded in previous rounds followed by my vote

• Advertisement

SF/M1

Irl No.1 for 4 weeks in 1994 UK No.1/US N/A

Vs

No Doubt - Don't Speak
    Irl No.1 for 3 weeks in 1997 UK No.1/US N/A

SF/M2

Irl No.1 for 3 weeks in 1997 UK No.2/US N/A

Vs

Irl No.1 for 1 week in 1996 UK No.1/US No.55

Whigfield - Saturday Night Vs No Doubt - Don't Speak
    Sarah Brightman & Andrea Bocelli - Con Te Partiro (Time to Say Goodbye) Vs Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger

Whigfield - Saturday Night - Dee, dee, na, na, na?

Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger - Anthemic, would be a good final

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Necro wrote: »
    Whigfield - Saturday Night - Dee, dee, na, na, na?

Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger - Anthemic, would be a good final

Same for me

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Whigfield - Saturday Night Vs No Doubt - Don't Speak
    Sarah Brightman & Andrea Bocelli - Con Te Partiro (Time to Say Goodbye) Vs Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger

Same Please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

No Doubt - Don't Speak

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭Archeron

Whigfield - Saturday Night (and may the lord have mercy on my soul)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

No Doubt - Don't Speak - I would rather had this as the final
    Sarah Brightman & Andrea Bocelli - Con Te Partiro (Time to Say Goodbye) - Anything but Oasis

Advertisement