Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maritime News Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Any casualties? Why move a jackup in weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Dohvolle wrote: »
    Any casualties? Why move a jackup in weather?

Crew of 18, six rescued but 12 missing.... https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/apr/14/louisiana-commercial-lift-vessel-capsize-rescue-coast-guard?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Green is Growing

Hard to understand how they intend to justify this in maritime court given that (presumably) one of their own Pilots .

Again, from what I read the pilots essentially **** off and do their own thing once on board including setting up a little tourist shop to sell things like magnets and other gimmicks, get their bribes of cigarettes, harrass female crew members, and as one seafarer on another form put it "attempt to steal everything that isn't nailed down to the ship".

At the end of the day, it's the captain of the ship that all has all the responsibility on their shoulders for whatever goes wrong. The canal bye-laws make this very clear for obvious reasons (liability etc).

Would like to hear from any actual mariners on here that have actually passed through the canal. Everything I'm saying is third hand info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Again, from what I read the pilots essentially **** off and do their own thing once on board including setting up a little tourist shop to sell things like magnets and other gimmicks, get their bribes of cigarettes, harrass female crew members, and as one seafarer on another form put it "attempt to steal everything that isn't nailed down to the ship".

At the end of the day, it's the captain of the ship that all has all the responsibility on their shoulders for whatever goes wrong. The canal bye-laws make this very clear for obvious reasons (liability etc).

Would like to hear from any actual mariners on here that have actually passed through the canal. Everything I'm saying is third hand info.

Funny enough I found an old Ships Monthly and I was reading a Captains report on going through the Suez Canal, what you say is almost word for word he said they are crooks of the worst kind no interest in navigation in the Canal in his case he had two Pilots on board who were not happy with his gifts of cash etc that he gave them at the end of the Canal and they let him know this, he did not think they had suitable qualification's for Pilots so he never left the bridge he also said the charges for the Canal are crazy, this was from a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The Suez is Marlboro country for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Explosion on a ferry in China.
    According to Chinese media, smoke was seen coming out of a truck loaded on the ferry. After the ship returned to the port, all passengers were evacuated as staff attempted to contain the fire on the sealed cargo deck, prior to the explosion.

Watch til the end for the subsequent explosions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Maybe not quite Maritime but wasn't sure where to put it.

The Liffey is to get a 'sweeper' vessel to collect rubbish...
    https://www.thejournal.ie/liffey-sweeper-rubbish-collection-dublin-5417315-Apr2021/

Sadly it doesn't appear to have any offensive weaponry to tackle the dumpers at source *ahem*

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

?width=630&version=5417346

When I first saw the picture, I thought "Who'd throw a goal into the river?"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

^^ I've known Jimmy Murray since I was a kid, and that man genuinely loves that river, and all things related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Maybe not quite Maritime but wasn't sure where to put it.

The Liffey is to get a 'sweeper' vessel to collect rubbish...
    https://www.thejournal.ie/liffey-sweeper-rubbish-collection-dublin-5417315-Apr2021/

Sadly it doesn't appear to have any offensive weaponry to tackle the dumpers at source *ahem*

plenty of room to mount a 7.62 on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

https://elpais.com/internacional/2021-04-24/indonesia-declara-hundido-un-submarino-con-53-tripulantes-tras-hallar-restos-en-la-zona-de-rastreo.html?ssm=FB_CM&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1619276992
    giving up hope having found parts of torpedoes and prayer mats and exceeded the maximum time they could survive under water, irrelevant but I was surprised to read that Indonesia is the country with the most Muslims in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

What happens when one big ship ploughs into another.

Damage-to-A-Symphony-2.png
    Media has reported that the anchored oil tanker A Symphony (Goodwood Ship Management) was hit by general cargo ship Sea Justice. The tanker’s hull is said to be breached portside in the ballast tank area,

Of all the ships you could've been hit by, you're hit by one called Sea Justice!!

It is amazing that you can hit something that big when it is at anchor.

The guy driving the Ever Given managed to hit 2 continents!!!!!

amiriteeel.jpg

This happens more than you would imagine. In this case the visibility was very poor and likely a significant factor in the chain of events.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    This happens more than you would imagine. In this case the visibility was very poor and likely a significant factor in the chain of events.

yeah but dont they have collision alert systems onboard? It is hardly like they are relying solely on the Mk1 Eyeball.

yeah but dont they have collision alert systems onboard? It is hardly like they are relying solely on the Mk1 Eyeball.

Literally the most important piece of lookout equipment on the ship.

In a busy anchorage the alarms can be sounding continuously as you try to locate a suitable spot to drop the hook in, or thread your way through the fleet to open water.

Speed was the killer for them, if that impact is anything to go by, and Rule 19 is very clear on that subject.

• Advertisement

Literally the most important piece of lookout equipment on the ship.

In a busy anchorage the alarms can be sounding continuously as you try to locate a suitable spot to drop the hook in, or thread your way through the fleet to open water.

Speed was the killer for them, if that impact is anything to go by, and Rule 19 is very clear on that subject.

that is a proper crunch. it looks like it has been rammed.

MV Alta is on fire, apparently.
    https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/breaking-fire-services-attend-blaze-20495666

Odd that a wreck abandoned by its crew almost 2 years ago, and aground for well over a year would suddenly burst into flames...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,297 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

MV Alta is on fire, apparently.
    https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/breaking-fire-services-attend-blaze-20495666

Odd that a wreck abandoned by its crew almost 2 years ago, and aground for well over a year would suddenly burst into flames...
    It was in relatively good condition inside with lots of stuff that would burn. Scum must be getting that bit fitter nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,800 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It was in relatively good condition inside with lots of stuff that would burn. Scum must be getting that bit fitter nowadays.

The devil finds work for idle hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Risoc

I wonder if there’s more to be said for no intervention by the fire brigade here.

Although the priority is probably to ensure there’s no scummy arsonist stuck onboard.

Risoc wrote: »
    I wonder if there’s more to be said for no intervention by the fire brigade here.

Although the priority is probably to ensure there’s no scummy arsonist stuck onboard.

The biggest danger at present is the fire would spread to the brush on the cliffs and then you have a nasty brush fire in a pretty inaccessible place. While most of the land is tilled, you just need a burning spark to land in the wrong shed or ditch...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,297 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Ever Given is still being held in the Suez, surely some international organistion should be brokering a deal to release it?

Terrific work by the the standby boat and anchor handler who were in the vicinity and first on the scene.

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0514/1221566-cork-coastguard-rescue/

Terrific work by the the standby boat and anchor handler who were in the vicinity and first on the scene.

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0514/1221566-cork-coastguard-rescue/

Safe to say, if you are gonna get into trouble in the water anywhere, that's one of the safest places to do it.
    Waterford and Shannon Helis less than 20 mins away.
    Ballycotton, Crosshaven and Courtmac Lifeboat nearby.
    Navy always have a ship on short notice to sail from Haulbowline, if there isn't already one working the SW approaches.
    Crosshaven coastguard have a Rhib unit.
    And about 8 various ships working the area at present fitted with all weather over the horizon daughter craft to pick casualty out of the water, and permanently fitted firefighting system to hose you down too.
    Granted the Trawler sank after its fire, but without any injury as far as I heard so far.
    Thats an excellent result in my books.
    Boats can be replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Safe to say, if you are gonna get into trouble in the water anywhere, that's one of the safest places to do it.
    Waterford and Shannon Helis less than 20 mins away.
    Ballycotton, Crosshaven and Courtmac Lifeboat nearby.
    Navy always have a ship on short notice to sail from Haulbowline, if there isn't already one working the SW approaches.
    Crosshaven coastguard have a Rhib unit.
    And about 8 various ships working the area at present fitted with all weather over the horizon daughter craft to pick casualty out of the water, and permanently fitted firefighting system to hose you down too.
    Granted the Trawler sank after its fire, but without any injury as far as I heard so far.
    Thats an excellent result in my books.
    Boats can be replaced.

No injuries. I know a few lads out there, was a quick abandon job. Very fast response by everyone on scene and nice to see a happy ending.

Advertisement