Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park littering

• 25-04-2021 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Park was in a terrible state today. Bins overflowing, glass bottles cans and coffee cups strewn around randomly and people incapable of bringing their rubbish home. Where were the OPW rangers and Gardai?
    https://twitter.com/deric_tv/status/1386231728981872640?s=19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭patob

More of it at the triangle North Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,721 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

patob wrote: »
    Where were the OPW rangers and Gardai?

Up to their t1ts with similar shyte all over the Park and all over the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭FionnK86

I thought OPW did great work, bins on greens where I was and people generally respecting leave no trace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Bins need to be bigger to take more or more bins in use.
    Dirty Dublin is indeed dirty and all because you cant think of how a simple thing grows and remember were still in Covid and spreading your cast offs does not impress me. Maybe we can empty a garbage truck in their front garden when we find out the culprits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭KevRossi

No bins, no control, no enforcement.

We need a huge amount of new bins and a regular, scheduled rota of emptying them. Pay staff overtime at weekends and busy periods if necessary.

Litter wardens are needed. Undercover. Wait till someone throws their stuff on the ground, €150 for everyone in the group or €1,000 in court (max is €4,000). Have Gardai there to ensure the details they give are correct. Do this a few times every weekend, publicise it, and 95% of the problem disappears straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

no enforcement, as with everything else.

rules of the road, false claims, false accusations, petty criminality, top level criminality, personal economic irresponsibility.

just do what you want basically. there are no repercussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Gerlad

Should be few huge wheelie bins at each exits with signs in/out don’t forget your rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 24,695 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Park was wrecked here too, people having picnics and drinking sessions on the pitches over the weekend , a shîtload of stuff just left there... anybody wanting to train or play a match ? Impossible,, the fûck I’d be cleaning it up... I’m a goalkeeper not anybody else’s keeper...

There will be cctv going in soon which is good news.

Gerlad wrote: »
    Should be few huge wheelie bins at each exits with signs in/out don’t forget your rubbish

I don’t think a sign will make a blind bit of difference to the urchins...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,348 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

This is why Japan banned bins. Geez if you put a bin in a field 500 miles from anyone, and leave it there an hour it will be full.
    Japan have no bins, and hence has none of this mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

This is why Japan banned bins. Geez if you put a bin in a field 500 miles from anyone, and leave it there an hour it will be full.

Same with Taiwan, one of the cleanest places I've seen and not a bin to be seen. People take care of their own personal rubbish ie take it home themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Precisely, you brought it there, take it home! It's education and culture that's needed, not bins.

Hopefully if the deposit and return system is introduced it will really help deal with litter from drinks. Needs to include glass and not just plastic and cans though. Monetise litter and see how quickly the problem disappears

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Some of those circumstances can arise because of birds going at an overflowing bin and strewing rubbish everywhere.

I also wouldn't judge someone too harshly on putting rubbish beside a bin. I think they're well intentioned, but ultimately should have brought the rubbish home with them.

No excuse for general littering and I'm shocked at how prevalent it is. Policing or fines aren't solutions. It's a moral issue. People need to be raised with pride of place and empathy for others. If the only reason people aren't littering is a fear of being fined I think we've failed as a society!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

VonLuck wrote: »
    I also wouldn't judge someone too harshly on putting rubbish beside a bin.

They basically threw their rubbish on the grown, they deserve to be judged in absolute harshness.

Hurrache wrote: »
    They basically threw their rubbish on the grown, they deserve to be judged in absolute harshness.

Again I don't think it's so black and white. They brought their rubbish to the bin with the intent of disposing of it properly. The bin was full so they left it at the point where rubbish gets collected.

I'm not saying that's the right way of doing things but I'm sure they were well meaning. Reminds me of that old adage - "We judge ourselves by our intentions and others by their behaviour".

If the bins are full, take it to one that isn’t.

The law doesn’t allow littering full stop. There is no asterisked law. *‘if the bins are full that’s not your fault so litter away’.

You have arms, pockets, remove your rubbish... if you go to the park for a picnic, bring a black bin liner too...takes up no room, it’s not difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭greasepalm

If the beaches and parks are not cleaned up where will you go next??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Or here’s an idea, maybe actually put in more bins, bigger bins even, and maybe clear the bins out more regularly.

There’s a vast shortage of bins in the park, we need more bins, not the bin police

Strumms wrote: »
    If the bins are full, take it to one that isn’t.

The law doesn’t allow littering full stop. There is no asterisked law. *‘if the bins are full that’s not your fault so litter away’.

You have arms, pockets, remove your rubbish... if you go to the park for a picnic, bring a black bin liner too...takes up no room, it’s not difficult.

No one is claiming there's a law that allows littering :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

People bring what turns into litter to the Park. What makes it litter is that they don't take it home again. We don't need bigger bins or more bins. We need people to cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Treppen

begbysback wrote: »
    Or here’s an idea, maybe actually put in more bins, bigger bins even, and maybe clear the bins out more regularly.

There’s a vast shortage of bins in the park, we need more bins, not the bin police

More bins means more littering. Unless you double the amount of bin collectors.

It's simple, just bring your rubbish home. Chances are it's probably recyclable, but once it goes into a street bin then it's straight to landfill.

Why can't people bring their rubbish home?

People who dump around bins are just scummy.

People who dump wherever they like are scummy.

More bins will do nothing for the above two types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Treppen wrote: »

It's simple, just bring your rubbish home. Chances are it's probably recyclable, but once it goes into a street bin then it's straight to landfill.

First sign of the psychological impact of long term lockdown appearing on this thread.

a) putting rubbinsh in bins is not littering
    b) yes, double the amount of bin collectors if there are going to be more people in the park who would like to dispose of their rubbish
    c) it seems the people who littered disposed of their rubbish beside the bin, so it looks at least they made an effort to get to a bin, only for it to be full - why make it difficult for people to dispose of rubbish?

The reason for very few bins in Japan is due initially, as an anti terrorism measure, in response to the Sarin Gas Attack 1995.

Treppen wrote: »

'Why can't people bring their rubbish home'. Key question.

When we break the back on that one, and correct the behaviour, then in several decades, (maybe), people might actually segregate their waste correctly and responsibly.

Still - some idiots (despite information available from Repak, from recycling operatives, from national broadcaster (RTE)) are dumping greasy food packaging into paper recycling....face-f- palm.

But that's the finer details while we are still at the 'stop littering, ya waste of space' stage

Still - some idiots (despite information available from Repak, from recycling operatives, from national broadcaster (RTE)) are dumping greasy food packaging into paper recycling....face-f- palm.

In everyone's defence, there is conflicting information out there for all recyclables. If you Google "can you recycle pizza boxes" the top result is "Pizza boxes are recyclable, even when stained or greasy as long as they are empty."

The main takeaway (no pun intended) is that for systems to be effective, they have to be simple. If there are more bins, more people will use them. Very difficult to change a person's ingrained laziness and complete lack of concern for the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

What is a 'Guardian of the Park Scheme' anyways?
    Make a bunch of curtain twitchers think they are litter wardens and go around annoying people? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

This was happening in Donabate at the weekend. There are 3 bins on the crossroads as you come into the village. One beside the takeaway and ice cream shop was empty and is a solar trash compactor. The others, two normal bins right across the road had piles and piles of rubbish beside them. People were taking their food and sitting in the park on the crossroads and were too lazy to walk back across the road to the empty bin.

VonLuck wrote: »
    so they left it at the point where rubbish gets collected.

Which was on the ground. Councils will always collect illegal dumping once they're aware of it. Is it ok if I use the local ditch as I know it's going to be collected anyway?

Hurrache wrote: »
    Which was on the ground. Councils will always collect illegal dumping once they're aware of it. Is it ok if I use the local ditch as I know it's going to be collected anyway?

Don't be so obtuse. Surely you can see the difference between someone leaving rubbish at a designated point of rubbish collection and someone throwing rubbish into a ditch.

People who leave rubbish at an overflowing bin clearly brought it there to dispose of it correctly and felt the next best thing is to leave it with the rest of the piled up rubbish.

I'm not claiming it's right, but to say that they're on par with illegal dumpers is an extreme stretch.

• Advertisement

Are you saying that the ground around or nearby bins are designated rubbish collection points? You either put your rubbish in the bin, or you don't.

There's no allowance for throwing things on the ground. Anyone that think it's acceptable to throw rubbish on the ground just because it's near a rubbish bin is an almighty idiot. It's no different than throwing a bag of rubbish from your car onto the side of the road.

Advertisement