Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Thanks dude, I've been dying to do that for ages. I'm gonna give the engine bay a good scrub tomorrow before I put the cam cover back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Top Dog wrote: »
    AliExpress or Amazon?

Ali arrived 5 days after I fitted the amazon bits :rolleyes::pac:

PM me, I’m buying, you’re selling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Got it put back together and gave the engine bay a much needed scrub.

F4KNXdp.jpg

fsiuBQZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

My "sons" RC car started giving trouble yesterday and symptoms of a slipping clutch. Took the thing apart and plenty or material etc left on the clutch so had to take the transmission apart. A tiny little pin had broken and was allowing one of the gears to spin on its shaft. Bit of DIY using a snipped safety pin got it back in action...

IMG-20210417-WA0041.jpg
    IMG-20210417-WA0043.jpg
    IMG-20210417-WA0047.jpg

ezgif-com-gif-maker.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I’ve done the reversing camera in mine, it’s reasonably straightforward.
    Top Dog wrote: »
    For once plans worked out, and today I got my reversing camera fitted up and working. Relatively handy job, though I will admit i was paranoid about damaging trims and clips so it's not quite how I wanted it with the route for the wire. .....

Unexpectedly discovered that it all worked once connected up. I had expected it to need coding to the car. Added bonus was the moving guide lines :cool:

Was going to help someone put one in to with the same car as yours. Where did you get the camera from? Some I've seen are plug and play like Top Dogs and come with a harness so no additional wiring required, but we're not looking forward to messing about with the trim to feed the wiring through.

• Advertisement

Going all out scumbag spec

39-ACB1-CD-D3-A8-46-A8-8781-C998-E1-AFA319.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Going all out scumbag spec

39-ACB1-CD-D3-A8-46-A8-8781-C998-E1-AFA319.jpg

Black badges look nice I think, same on the back?

I only got this one to try it. Colour blue isn’t an exact match so I’m gonna swap out for black on black.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

DPD driver arrived today so time to get some "invisible" work done (nothing you'd see from the outside).

Had an infrequent but annoying knocking noise coming from the front offside. Noticeable on speed bumps (at any speed) or on tight/sharp turns. Figured it was time for new shocks anyway so ordered shocks, top mounts, top mount bearing, drop links, springs and while my mouth was warm new calipers ad there was a persistent creaking noise whenever i pushed the pedal from the same front offside (i knew it was a piston issue as i cleaned this before and it went away for a few weeks but gradually came back).

Things went, worryingly, smoothly throughout and after three hours (most of which was scrubbing down the area while i had it apart) both sides were done.

I say worryingly because usually something pops up and decides to turn an easy job into a tough one. The only issue i had was the ew calipers have a different caliper retention spring. My original one is flat metal with short "hooking distance to the caliper. The new calipers used a thing wire spring with a longer hooking distance. A quick trip to the local motor factor sorted this quick enough for a fiver.

You can see in the picture below the top mount was in an awful condition. Split open and obvious signs of grinding within the top half of the broken bearing. I have no idea, or excuses, for why it was so bad but it was well past needing done and easily explains why i had a knocking noise.

So now the creaking is gone, the knocking is gone and i'm all happy again. :D

550943.jpg

550944.jpg

550945.jpg

550946.jpg

550947.jpg
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Good work. I don't see an axle stand there, hope there was one out of shot? BTW, we have the same torch :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Cass wrote: »
    DPD driver arrived today so time to get some "invisible" work done (nothing you'd see from the outside).

Had an infrequent but annoying knocking noise coming from the front offside. Noticeable on speed bumps (at any speed) or on tight/sharp turns. Figured it was time for new shocks anyway so ordered shocks, top mounts, top mount bearing, drop links, springs and while my mouth was warm new calipers ad there was a persistent creaking noise whenever i pushed the pedal from the same front offside (i knew it was a piston issue as i cleaned this before and it went away for a few weeks but gradually came back).

Things went, worryingly, smoothly throughout and after three hours (most of which was scrubbing down the area while i had it apart) both sides were done.

I say worryingly because usually something pops up and decides to turn an easy job into a tough one. The only issue i had was the ew calipers have a different caliper retention spring. My original one is flat metal with short "hooking distance to the caliper. The new calipers used a thing wire spring with a longer hooking distance. A quick trip to the local motor factor sorted this quick enough for a fiver.

You can see in the picture below the top mount was in an awful condition. Split open and obvious signs of grinding within the top half of the broken bearing. I have no idea, or excuses, for why it was so bad but it was well past needing done and easily explains why i had a knocking noise.

550943.jpg

550944.jpg

550945.jpg

550946.jpg

550947.jpg

Nice work, you must have saved over €500 doing all that work yourself and bringing it to a garage comes without the self gratification of completing work by yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Cass wrote: »

That bearing in an Outlander (08) is just three layers of plastic! No actual ball-bearings or race etc. I broke one just fitting it - pathetic shíte.

Good work. I don't see an axle stand there, hope there was one out of shot? BTW, we have the same torch :)
    There was, always is, and chocks. JIC. I must have half a dozen hand lamps/torches but this one, while small, has a good light and is not so big so as to be in the way in small quarters.
    BlakeS94 wrote: »
    Nice work, you must have saved over €500 doing all that work yourself and bringing it to a garage comes without the self gratification of completing work by yourself
    I've always done my own work because, as you said, its the gratification of having done it yourself. Same with the young lad. He has his own first car so i'm teaching him bit by bit about servicing, minor work (brakes, drop links, etc), and basic maintenance of his car. I'd hate to think he would have to call me or a breakdown service if he got a flat because he doesn't know how to change a tire.

There are some things i'd leave to a mechanic because they are better equipped what with lifts etc. I done my own exhaust last year and it took twice as long because even with two jacks and axle stands i had to crawl along the underside of the car. With a lift or pit it'd be done much easier an quicker.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Didn't bother with pictures, much too annoyed, but the day after i done the above i drove the car down the road and felt a "pull" as if she were trying to go but couldn't. Stopped after about a mile and a half to white smoke from the rear left wheel. Drove her home, gently, and jacked it up. took of the caliper to find it completely seized. Checked the offside and the same but not to the extreme of the nearside.

Utterly disgusted as these were replaced 19 months ago and the reason i wanted the front done too, so as to have all four corners done. Anyway i went into the local motor factor Friday morning and got two OEM, re-manufactured. ones and fitted them yesterday. Smoke/heating of brake assembly gone and the car is running free and smooth.

The calipers were still under warranty but the motor factor takes them in as they send them off to be reconditioned/re-manufactured. Sent an e-mail to the manufacturer of the calipers with a strong tinge of how disappointed i was with brand new calipers failing within 2 years. Not expecting much and not much i can do if they want them back, but goes to show that faith in a part simply because its new is not always founded.

This problem, with the rear brakes/handbrake, has plagued me within 6 months of fitting and i dismissed the calipers as a reason for the fault as they were brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

I installed a ramair air intake into 1.4 i-dsi honda jazz, i am just wondering the pipe came with it seems to have a small pipe coming out of it but i have none to connect it to, i was reading a bit and it says its for vacuum but there no extra hose/pipe came with it, am i missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

FrankC21 wrote: »
    I installed a ramair air intake into 1.4 i-dsi honda jazz, i am just wondering the pipe came with it seems to have a small pipe coming out of it but i have none to connect it to, i was reading a bit and it says its for vacuum but there no extra hose/pipe came with it, am i missing something?

I don't know if yours is a diesel or petrol but if petrol then the samll pipe connects to the breather on the valve cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Did you replace the entire intake to the throttle body or just the air box?
    Did you have to remove a vacuum assist to the brake booster?
    Is there EGR on this vehicle?

Could be a number of things. A photo would help.

The yellow hose.

551375.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

That's the PCV valve, when excess pressure builds up in the crank case, it's recycled back though the air intake to reduce HC emmisions.

A lot of guys but a little air filter on them and black them on the intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I had a timing belt,droplinks,two shocks and a headlight bulb to do in my corolla today. I done the bulb, decided it was too warm and headed out for the day. The timing belt is about 4 years over due, I'll say it will survive another week when I get a chance

• Advertisement

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I had a timing belt,droplinks,two shocks and a headlight bulb to do in my corolla today. I done the bulb, decided it was too warm and headed out for the day. The timing belt is about 4 years over due, I'll say it will survive another week when I get a chance

Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but that's usually when they go. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but that's usually when they go. :pac:

It probably snap when I start it in the morning! Non interference engine is only reason I haven't done it

PsychoPete wrote: »
    It probably snap when I start it in the morning! Non interference engine is only reason I haven't done it

If that's the case drive it till it snaps. :pac:

Pics or GTFO :D

Please let this be real

I am serious I will take a photo tomorrow day.off,

The photo below is the intake. That's all the parts it came with it, and I took out the stock air box and pipe and installed the ramair including the red pipe.

And I only noticed the difference sound and torque when I go above 3k rpm. So my friend told me I was probably missing a pipe if It only works at high rpm, he mentioned about vacuum pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Is this the same engine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zw57eY6jng

That product says sutiable for 2001 - 2008 cars.

https://ramair-filters.co.uk/sr-202-rd-bmw-e46-320-323-sr-performance-induction-foam-air-filter-kit/

"This product is suitable for the following vehicles....
    Make Model Engine Years
    Honda Jazz 1.3 DSi 2001 - 2008
    "

Is your car not a 2009?

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Is this the same engine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zw57eY6jng

That product says sutiable for 2001 - 2008 cars.

https://ramair-filters.co.uk/sr-202-rd-bmw-e46-320-323-sr-performance-induction-foam-air-filter-kit/

"This product is suitable for the following vehicles....
    Make Model Engine Years
    Honda Jazz 1.3 DSi 2001 - 2008
    "

Is your car not a 2009?

No, that's a i-VTEC on the video, I have a 2009 i-dsi engine 1.33cc, i googled that and that was the cold air intake that came up from ebay. It works on higher rpm like noticeabe sound and torque over 3k rpm. I try take a pics when go home tonight.

I don't know what you are expecting by fitting a cone filter you will not gain HP like the companies who sell them will tell you. The car will drive the same as with the stock box and filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

D*ckhead here lost the key to McGard lock bolts on a B7 Passat :o

My only option was to panic and bring it to Commons road VW.....

......like f*ck I did. Broke out the inch gun, rammed a 22mm over the bolts, set to 3L and with a bit of trickery they all came out :cool:
    aAQZOBqh.jpg

• Advertisement

You done well to get them off especially if they have the spinning outer ring which they look to have from my eyes anyway.

Advertisement