Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Female Police officer stabbed to death in France

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Utter scum people that can do this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,123 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

walshb wrote: »
    Utter scum people that can do this!

The people that allow it by turning a blind eye are worse.

The man with the knife is the least of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

France have been battling this dangerous and hateful ideology for many years now.
    The victims count in their hundreds in France alone.

Does someone have an idea on how to avoid these attacks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Danzy wrote: »

The man with the knife, who plunged it into another person, is the least if it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

biko wrote: »
    France have been battling this dangerous and hateful ideology for many years now.

Rubber knives.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »

He is still an awful shi7 but the types that turn a blind eye, the enablers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Unfortunately they want to let these all in here too...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Loverlyhorse

I keep hearing that it's a "religion of peace"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,035 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The Troubles rang?

Overheal wrote: »
    The Troubles rang?

Are there still people pretending that the war in the North had something to do with religion.

• Advertisement

Are there still people pretending that the war in the North had something to do with religion.

That’s some laughable revisionism you’re trying to pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭jay1988

About as laughable as your whataboutery.

jay1988 wrote: »
    About as laughable as your whataboutery.

Which is only as laughable of turning every stabbing involving some radical extremist into an indictment on 1.8 billion adherents to Islam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,792 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

By refusing to allow into your country people who would or might do your country and it’s people harm.

Strumms wrote: »
    By refusing to allow into your country people who would or might do your country and it’s people harm.

And on what criteria do you wish to refuse them, that is not bigotry?

The killer Jamel Gorchane came from Tunisia to France in 2009.
    The fact that he shouted Allahu akbar and the presence of files related to Islamist terrorism found at his home and on his phone points toward this being a terrorist attack.

From this article we also learn the victim's name and age - Stéphanie, 49. RIP.

https://www.leparisien.fr/yvelines-78/attentat-de-rambouillet-ce-que-lon-sait-de-jamel-gorchane-lassaillant-de-36-ans-abattu-dans-le-commissariat-24-04-2021-6BA4Z5MJ3NEZPE5RROT7TDISTI.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,627 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well, it's like calling Catholicism a religion of people who respect children, isn't it?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

o1s1n wrote: »

Yes. The apologists who'll be out in force soon. They are worse.

Well, it's like calling Catholicism a religion of people who respect children, isn't it?

"Religion of peace" is a self appointed title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,627 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

"Religion of peace" is a self appointed title.

I'd argue it's not a title.

I'd also argue there's no such thing as a religion of "peace" - individuals of peace who follow religions, yes - but that's a different thread.

• Advertisement

I'd argue it's not a title.

I'd also argue there's no such thing as a religion of "peace" - individuals of peace who follow religions, yes - but that's a different thread.

Your argument is with the inams and left wing commentators who keep repeating it.

Your argument is with the inams and left wing commentators who keep repeating it.

No, my arugment is with the person who puts it in "inverted commas" in order to pretend the actions of one person is a more reliable yardstick than the beliefs of well over one billion.

The killer Jamel Gorchane came from Tunisia to France in 2009.
    The fact that he shouted Allahu akbar and the presence of files related to Islamist terrorism found at his home and on his phone points toward this being a terrorist attack.

From this article we also learn the victim's name and age - Stéphanie, 49. RIP.

https://www.leparisien.fr/yvelines-78/attentat-de-rambouillet-ce-que-lon-sait-de-jamel-gorchane-lassaillant-de-36-ans-abattu-dans-le-commissariat-24-04-2021-6BA4Z5MJ3NEZPE5RROT7TDISTI.php

“Files related to Islamist terrorism”

Such as?

If I was reading that on some loony rightwing US site they could as easily be referring to the Koran

And my phone browser does not auto translate.

That's what the article says. I guess you'll have to be patient.

The worst person is the one that murdered a policewoman. End of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

All of these people are knowing to the police for the content they view and the things they preach but they are untouchable until they kill someone, that needs to change. Should be deported and banned from the country for viewing this material if they are immigrants.

All of these people are knowing to the police for the content they view and the things they preach but they are untouchable until they kill someone, that needs to change. Should be deported and banned from the country for viewing this material if they are immigrants.

What material are you referring to here? What things “being preached?” Because, as we just briefly mentioned, we don’t have any specifics about what any of the aforementioned material is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

Which is only as laughable of turning every stabbing involving some radical extremist into an indictment on 1.8 billion adherents to Islam

If these cowards were denied a muslim burial then that would help alienate them within their own communities and reduce support. I don't see any appetite for that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

How do you implement the idea of not admitting terrorists?

I reckon they don't know they're terrorists when they arrive. So is it just to not let muslims in?

I'm not a fan of religion, and Islam seems worse than most. But I'm also not onboard with the idea of discriminating against people on the basis of their religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Who, precisely, is 'turning a blind eye'?

grassylawn wrote: »
    How do you implement the idea of not admitting terrorists?

I reckon they don't know they're terrorists when they arrive. So is it just to not let muslims in?

I'm not a fan of religion, and Islam seems worse than most. But I'm also not onboard with the idea of discriminating against people on the basis of their religion.

Also considering the suspect arrived 12 years ago I don’t think anyone can really fault the sovereign/immigration security measures as a primary cause for the stabbing itself. No liability on their part at all for that, unless you apply the superhuman standard of them being psychic or having precognition.

No, my arugment is with the person who puts it in "inverted commas".

Yes, the inams and left wing commentators.

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/faits-divers/terrorisme/fonctionnaire-de-police-tuee-a-rambouillet/attaque-au-couteau-a-rambouillet-le-profil-de-lassaillant-jamelgorchane-se-precise_4384915.html

The suspect arrived as an irregular migrant and was regularised in 2019.
    Irregular is newspeak for illegal migrants, the boats that come across the sea.
    Regularisation is an amnesty or leave to remain.
    It's not yet clear in this instance how he was regularised.

This act echoes the stabbings by a 21-year-old Tunisian in Nice in October who killed people in a church while shouting Allah Akbar.

Are you intentionally misreading my post to save face?

Why would I argue the point that you can not judge the beliefs of billions of people by the actions of one person with someone who already knows this...?

The only Volunteers you know are tending horses for the Irish Racing association.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

You can blame left-wing people for supporting lax immigration policies. You can blame right-wing people for creating a hostile environment in their new country that makes them soft targets for radicalizers. It seems to me like both have truth in them. The left v right thing leads a simplistic understanding of things. "It is their fault" is single-dimension thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,205 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There’s far too much of this going on in the name of Islam —

Deadly attacks on French police
    January 2015: Two police officers were among those killed in the attack at the offices of satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo. A third was killed in a related attack the following day.
    June 2016: A police commander and his partner, also a police official, were stabbed to death at their home west of Paris by a man claiming allegiance to the Islamic State (IS) group. The attacker was killed in a police assault on the house.
    April 2017: A French policeman was killed by a jihadist on the Champs Elysées in Paris. Two other officers were wounded in the attack. The suspect was shot dead by security forces, and a note defending IS was found near his body.
    March 2018: A gunman who pledged allegiance to IS militants launched a series of attacks in southern France, killing four people including a policeman who traded places with a captive. He also opened fire on a group of police officers out jogging, wounding one. The suspect was shot dead by police.
    October 2019: A police computer operator stabbed four of his colleagues to death at the Paris police headquarters, before being shot dead. Anti-terror prosecutors said he adhered to a radical version of Islam..

There’s far too much of this going on in the name of Islam —

Deadly attacks on French police
    January 2015: Two police officers were among those killed in the attack at the offices of satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo. A third was killed in a related attack the following day.
    June 2016: A police commander and his partner, also a police official, were stabbed to death at their home west of Paris by a man claiming allegiance to the Islamic State (IS) group. The attacker was killed in a police assault on the house.
    April 2017: A French policeman was killed by a jihadist on the Champs Elysées in Paris. Two other officers were wounded in the attack. The suspect was shot dead by security forces, and a note defending IS was found near his body.
    March 2018: A gunman who pledged allegiance to IS militants launched a series of attacks in southern France, killing four people including a policeman who traded places with a captive. He also opened fire on a group of police officers out jogging, wounding one. The suspect was shot dead by police.
    October 2019: A police computer operator stabbed four of his colleagues to death at the Paris police headquarters, before being shot dead. Anti-terror prosecutors said he adhered to a radical version of Islam..

Does it matter what religion the people are who killed police?

Yes, it appears to matter.

No Jews for instance have committed police murders to my knowledge of late in France*.

*I'm sure someone can find some murder somewhere in Israel or other place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

grassylawn wrote: »
    You can blame left-wing people for supporting lax immigration policies. You can blame right-wing people for creating a hostile environment in their new country that makes them soft targets for radicalizers. It seems to me like both have truth in them. The left v right thing leads a simplistic understanding of things. "It is their fault" is single-dimension thinking.

I'm not sure it's right to blame either. The people who carry out such attacks - whether it's a Muslim fanatic in France, a far-right fanatic in the UK or an incel in the US - are always cut from similar cloth. The ideology is just a cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

bubblypop wrote: »
    Does it matter what religion the people are who killed police?

It does if their adherence to that religion or support for/membership of radical religious groups was linked to their actions.

You may find such things uncomfortable but those are the facts

Yes, it appears to matter.

No Jews for instance have committed police murders to my knowledge of late in France*.

*I'm sure someone can find some murder somewhere in Israel or other place.

No.
    It doesn't matter what religion the murderer is.
    It wouldn't matter to me what religion the person is who murdered me, if someone murders my colleague, I couldn't give two ****s what their religion is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Which apologists?

I always see this type of post pop up on the first page of one of these tragedies trying to wrangle a few thanks but I've yet to see someone try and stand up for the murderers.

It wouldn't matter to me what religion the person is who murdered me, if someone murders my colleague, I couldn't give two ****s what their religion is.
    You should ask your colleagues their opinion during your next video call.
    Maybe they will agree with you, maybe not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Inams? You don't even know the words you wish to use.

Here - Imams.

You should ask your colleagues their opinion during your next video call.
    Maybe they will agree with you, maybe not.

Why would we be on video call? We work together & I assure you, they couldn't care less what religion some murdering scumbag is.

Why would we be on video call? We work together & I assure you, they couldn't care less what religion some murdering scumbag is.

As I said above, I'm sure it'll matter if the reason they were attacked or worse was religiously motivated.

I'm actually surprised that someone like yourself seems to be more concerned with virtue signalling than the reality of the potential threat caused by these individuals and their radical beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

France’s fight was los aeons ago simply because the state made grievous and badly informed decisions.
    Instead of learning from it other countries just let the same thing happen, which is the real tragedy.

No, I do not support any religious crap or extremism but that’s not really what laid the foundations for these attacks.

I am not a big fan of the French police but attacking an admin worker is pretty cowardly. I hope his imaginary friend is very proud of him.

Jequ0n wrote: »
    France’s fight was los aeons ago simply because the state made grievous and badly informed decisions.
    Instead of learning from it other countries just let the same thing happen, which is the real tragedy.

What's worse for us is we are being setup for potentially the same issues here with the imminent "come one, come all" immigration policies that O'Gorman and the Government are finalising.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    As I said above, I'm sure it'll matter if the reason they were attacked or worse was religiously motivated.

I'm actually surprised that someone like yourself seems to be more concerned with virtue signalling than the reality of the potential threat caused by these individuals and their radical beliefs.

I have no idea what you're talking about 'virtue signalling ' I don't even know what that means?
    I'm concerned with people murdering policemen, their religion doesn't matter. My colleagues couldn't care less about their religion either.
    A murdering scumbag is a murdering scumbag and I don't care what their motivation.
    What annoys me is people who seem to be more interested in the religion of the murderer, than of the poor dead police.

• Advertisement
Advertisement