Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lunab

Would anyone know where they are on numbers for full time in Sligo . Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kitesurfguy

Anyone know what a Co would start off doing working for Revenue? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

It depends on where you are working and what section. And you are unlikely to find out what section you will be in until after you start your induction training.

Have you an offer for Revenue and if so, where?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭abbeybella

Just wondering if anyone that recently started in a department can advise how it is working remotely? Will be starting next month and it will be work from home until restrictions are lifted. Thanks 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

Elliebeee wrote: »
    Anyone know how long standard e-vetting is taking to clear atm?

Anywhere from 3-10 days TBH. May even clear in less. That was as of start of the year anyway. Didn't seem to be much of a delay.

• Advertisement

Until you are assigned a division / department. Impossible to give an answer TBH.

abbeybella wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone that recently started in a department can advise how it is working remotely? Will be starting next month and it will be work from home until restrictions are lifted. Thanks ��

What department are you going to be based in?

Equipment is provided to work from home, phones / laptops / monitors etc.

Training can be completed remotely through skype / voice over powerpoint slides.

Some departments may not see the inside of an office until next year, if ever again at all.

shmeee wrote: »
    What department are you going to be based in?

Equipment is provided to work from home, phones / laptops / monitors etc.

Training can be completed remotely through skype / voice over powerpoint slides.

Some departments may not see the inside of an office until next year, if ever again at all.

Thanks for the information. The department of children youth and integration.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 mmerton365

abbeybella wrote: »
    Thanks for the information. The department of children youth and integration.

I work in this department. Welcome! :)

You'll be in the office for an hour on your first day and given instructions on how the systems work on your laptop. You'll head home and in the afternoon you'll have an induction meeting with HR and then your Line Manager. You'll be brought through what your tasks will be and generally eased into it in the first couple of weeks.

Everyone is really nice, and approachable through Skype or email.

Shoot me a DM if you have anymore questions and I'd be glad to answer them.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Vologda69

shmeee wrote: »
    Anywhere from 3-10 days TBH. May even clear in less. That was as of start of the year anyway. Didn't seem to be much of a delay.

I got mine back in 5 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 whiskers77

Hi All. Can someone please help!!! I am working atm and taking home approx €570 p/w job is very stressful though and just dont feel happy in it. I have been offered a CO position and I actually dont know what to do. What are the perks so to speak working in civil service as a co would I be silly to turn it down?? I applied for civil service march 20 and started my current job August 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Probably less stressful, but then we don't know what your current job is or what aspect of it is causing you stress.
    As a CO on the first step of the ladder, you will be almost €10,000 a year worse off than you are at the moment ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

whiskers77 wrote: »
    Hi All. Can someone please help!!! I am working atm and taking home approx €570 p/w job is very stressful though and just dont feel happy in it. I have been offered a CO position and I actually dont know what to do. What are the perks so to speak working in civil service as a co would I be silly to turn it down?? I applied for civil service march 20 and started my current job August 20.

A couple of posters previously posted that they're taking the CO job even though they're taking a big drop in salary.
    With standard paye and prsi rates I think the take-home pay is €412.
    Someone might jump in and confirm this.

I've a couple of friends that took up positions and they're very happy.
    The major benefit is flexitime and time off.
    Next is the permanency of the job and thirdly is the pension (although I don't know the workings of this.)
    They're all working with really nice teams and love it.
    They're very busy and definitely isn't an easy ride as the media make it out.

The Civil Service is very structured, so everyone has a tittle and a role.
    Pro's and Cons to that setup, but it means they all abide by the workplace rules and laws so from a stress point of view I don't think you'd be under much stress.
    You also have the backing of the unions if there was a workplace dispute - a benefit I didn't think of.

Someone posted at the beginning of the thread that the Civil Service is the one body that isn't discriminatory and that's very true.
    If you were happy with the drop in salary you could take the job in the CS and look around for a less stressful role in the private sector, it might take time and by then you might find you don't want to move.

mmerton365 wrote: »
    I work in this department. Welcome! :)

You'll be in the office for an hour on your first day and given instructions on how the systems work on your laptop. You'll head home and in the afternoon you'll have an induction meeting with HR and then your Line Manager. You'll be brought through what your tasks will be and generally eased into it in the first couple of weeks.

Everyone is really nice, and approachable through Skype or email.

Shoot me a DM if you have anymore questions and I'd be glad to answer them.
    Thanks for the information, all so new with remote working. Know what to expect now🙂ðŸ‘

I'll echo ellejay words above.

I took a similar pay hit and TBH, the best decision I ever made. The wages starting off are brutal, let's face it. €24,586 P/A, €471.20 P/W before tax.

You will climb up the scale over time and also there is yearly pay increases of 1% etc. Some new agreements also getting battled out in the background for more pay increases over the next few years.

Plain and simple, it is job security and a weekly wage into your back account at 1am every Friday.

Progression is very good, I know many CO's who now after 2/3 years are in EO's positions. You show your work drive and commitment and it will be recognised. The work is very interesting and it's constant!

The work / life balance as mentioned by many is key. You leave your desk Friday and that's it. You don't bring home any baggage (WFH at present so, the baggage is just left in the box room).

I just weighed out the options, was my life worth the cut in pay, and to me it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 imagusaran

Has anyone had to do additional vetting? I've been assigned to the Department of the Taoiseach but waiting to hear back about additional vetting, they said it takes 4 to 6 weeks but just wondering has it taken quicker/longer for anyone else? I will be going into my 4th week of waiting next week but I just want to know my start date now cos I'm beyond excited

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Icbaby

I was you last year except I happened to love the job I was in. But having flexi and stability was the appeal and tbh it’s the best thing I ever did. I love the dept I’m in, the people are great and I am no longer stressed (even tho I loved my last job it was stressful and super busy). It’s busy but no one is jumping back your throat to fix it NOW! When you log off then that’s it, no one waiting for you. Think about what you want/need. I knew I had a small child so could forgo the money now and hopefully when she’s older I’ll be back at a good wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

imagusaran wrote: »
    Has anyone had to do additional vetting? I've been assigned to the Department of the Taoiseach but waiting to hear back about additional vetting, they said it takes 4 to 6 weeks but just wondering has it taken quicker/longer for anyone else? I will be going into my 4th week of waiting next week but I just want to know my start date now cos I'm beyond excited

You will be waiting probably another 12 weeks, if it's the same vetting as for Justice, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 imagusaran

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    You will be waiting probably another 12 weeks, if it's the same vetting as for Justice, etc.

Yeah that's why I'm a little confused cos I know from reading this thread that AGS, Dept of Justice etc do enhanced vetting and it takes up to 16 weeks but I was told it would be additional vetting and would take 4 to 6 weeks so I'm not sure if it's the same??

• Registered Users Posts: 21 G2234567

Does anyone know what LS1 after 3 years means ? In relation to pay for CO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 St. Pat

G2234567 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what LS1 after 3 years means ? In relation to pay for CO

After 3 years on point 14 of the pay scale you move to LSI1 (long service increment) and after 3 years on LSI1 you move on to LSI2

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Elliebeee

Vologda69 wrote: »
    I got mine back in 5 days

And were you offered a position right away? Thanks😊

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

ellejay wrote: »
    A couple of posters previously posted that they're taking the CO job even though they're taking a big drop in salary.
    With standard paye and prsi rates I think the take-home pay is €412.
    Someone might jump in and confirm this.

I've a couple of friends that took up positions and they're very happy.
    The major benefit is flexitime and time off.
    Next is the permanency of the job and thirdly is the pension (although I don't know the workings of this.)
    They're all working with really nice teams and love it.
    They're very busy and definitely isn't an easy ride as the media make it out.

The Civil Service is very structured, so everyone has a tittle and a role.
    Pro's and Cons to that setup, but it means they all abide by the workplace rules and laws so from a stress point of view I don't think you'd be under much stress.
    You also have the backing of the unions if there was a workplace dispute - a benefit I didn't think of.

Someone posted at the beginning of the thread that the Civil Service is the one body that isn't discriminatory and that's very true.
    If you were happy with the drop in salary you could take the job in the CS and look around for a less stressful role in the private sector, it might take time and by then you might find you don't want to move.

Despite what the general public are lead to believe, the pension in the civil service isn't exactly wonderful. Basically if you work 40 years you're entitled to half of your career average salary. But, that includes your state contributory pension. So if you started in the civil service at 22, even though you'd have done 40 years by the time you are 62, you won't get the state contributory pension until you're 66 so it's not really payable in its entirety until you hit state pension age.

So if you're a CO and over your 40 year career you earn an average of €35k a year. You will receive a tax free lump sum of about €40k. You'd be entitled to a pension of €17,500. But about €12,500 of that is your contributory pension, the one that you've paid PRSI for 40 years for. Welcome to the 'gold plated' civil service pension you've read and heard about in the media.

The pension is basically 1/80 X Number of years service X Career average salary.

And were you offered a position right away? Thanks😊

Yes...few days later. Just trying to sort starting salary as ive previous service

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Elliebeee

Vologda69 wrote: »
    Yes...few days later. Just trying to sort starting salary as ive previous service

How does that work do you mind me asking?

Also do you start right away or will they give you notice?

I've just submitted my evetting just trying to gauge how long it will be before I start.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 St. Pat

rostalof wrote: »
    Despite what the general public are lead to believe, the pension in the civil service isn't exactly wonderful. Basically if you work 40 years you're entitled to half of your career average salary. But, that includes your state contributory pension. So if you started in the civil service at 22, even though you'd have done 40 years by the time you are 62, you won't get the state contributory pension until you're 66 so it's not really payable in its entirety until you hit state pension age.

So if you're a CO and over your 40 year career you earn an average of €35k a year. You will receive a tax free lump sum of about €40k. You'd be entitled to a pension of €17,500. But about €12,500 of that is your contributory pension, the one that you've paid PRSI for 40 years for. Welcome to the 'gold plated' civil service pension you've read and heard about in the media.

The pension is basically 1/80 X Number of years service X Career average salary.

I'm not familiar with the single pension scheme. Do you not get 1.5 times your average salary as a lump sum?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Missyst

I was in the same boat last year. Taking home approx €550 a week plus bonuses and worked very close to home. I was offered a CO position which meant I had to commute an hour a day, added expenses such as parking, tolls, etc as well as the pay cut. I decided to take the plunge as I wasn’t happy in the job I was in. I am in the civil service about 7 months now and i go in, do my days work and go home. I don’t stress about it or have someone hanging over my shoulder. Flexi time is a massive perk I think. I take a day and a half off every month to
    relax and Just do nothing. I know my wages will go up every year and I don’t have to beg for a payrise anymore! Id do it all again in the morning. And just to add 6 weeks after I left the company I was in they closed down and let everyone go..so yeah in these times job security is not something to be overlooked. :)

How does that work do you mind me asking?

Also do you start right away or will they give you notice?

I've just submitted my evetting just trying to gauge how long it will be before I start.

They requested a letter from previous HR confirming salary etc.. So I will remain on same salary and increment date. They are flexible with start dates as I had to give a few weeks notice to my current employer

Hi all.

Hoping to shed some light here but is there a chance of another CS panel happening? I'm on publicjobs.ie everyday keeping my eye out. I'm following this thread as well.

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭xxsammyxx085

Hi everyone, I have my interview next week and I am absolutely terrified... I hate interviews... I know I am well able to do this job, I work in a very busy office, but I hate being face to face and put on the spot... I tend to freeze up in those situations and can not sell myself or get out the words that I need to. Is there anywhere I can see any example questions that may come up??

Advertisement