Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Academy Awards (Oscars 2021)

• 28-02-2021 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭

The Golden Globes are tonight, could see who the Oscar front runners are

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Nomadland a front runner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭MfMan

Surprised to see Rosamund Pike at 16/1 for best actress - not a bad wager.

Greyhound," "Mank" and "News of the World" are among the films that received Cinema Audio Society nominations

Promising Young Woman wins Best Film and Best Actress at Australian Academy International Awards

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

It's a wonder that wild mountain thyme didn't get a few nominations due to the fact it meets the requirements that most of the other nominees seemingly just needed, it was a film and it was released this year.

They really should have given this and all other film awards a year off. Kind of like football.

• Advertisement

Chadwick Boseman posthumously winning seems a lock

Borat 2 (the sequel, Borat Subsequent Movie) could be nominated :(:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Borat 2 (the sequel, Borat Subsequent Movie) could be nominated :(:eek:

How are you surprised? Come on wild mountain thyme! They gotta fill their overtly bloated ceremony, and in this year of film famine it's gonna be more farcical than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wolfwalkers nominated for best animation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Is that it, or are nominations being drip-fed?

Arracht was in the mix for foreign language film, I think?

ETA I see it wasn't nominated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

All the nominations are out, list here: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/oscars-list-of-nominees-updating-live

Fingers crossed for Wolfwalkers, really loved that film and it’d be a well deserved win.

Delighted to see Minari feature prominently. Haven’t seen Nomadland yet, mind you.

Disappointed to see First Cow and Never Rarely Sometimes Always largely ignored. Was the kind of weird year you’d hope films like those could break through.

The first time in Oscar history more than one woman has been nominated for best director, apparently. A sad statistic, and hopefully a first step towards a more equal representation in the future.

Best Picture
    The Father
    Judas and the Black Messiah
    Mank
    Minari
    Nomadland
    Promising Young Woman
    Sound of Metal
    The Trial of the Chicago 7

Best Directing
    Thomas Vinterberg, Another Round
    David Fincher, Mank
    Lee Isaac Chung, Minari
    Chloe Zhao, Nomadland
    Emerald Fennell, Promising Young Woman

Best Actress in a Leading Role
    Viola Davis, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Andra Day, United States vs. Billie Holiday
    Vanessa Kirby, Pieces of a Woman
    Frances McDormand, Nomadland
    Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman

Best Actor in a Leading Role
    Riz Ahmed, Sound of Metal
    Chadwick Boseman, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Anthony Hopkins, The Father
    Gary Oldman, Mank
    Steven Yeun, Minari

Best Actress in a Supporting Role
    Maria Bakalova, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
    Glenn Close, Hillbilly Elegy
    Olivia Colman, The Father
    Amanda Seyfried, Mank
    Yuh-Jung Youn, Minari

Best Actor in a Supporting Role
    Sacha Baron Cohen, The Trial of the Chicago 7
    Daniel Kaluuya, Judas and the Black Messiah
    Leslie Odom, Jr., One Night in Miami
    Paul Raci, Sound of Metal
    LaKeith Stanfield, Judas and the Black Messiah

Best Original Screenplay
    Judas and the Black Messiah
    Minari
    Promising Young Woman
    Sound of Metal
    The Trial of the Chicago 7

Best Adapted Screenplay
    Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
    The Father
    Nomadland
    One Night in Miami
    The White Tiger

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Love that it must now be known as the 'Oscar-nominated Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Wolfwalkers would be the most deserving winner, but I reckon Soul is nailed on alas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Soul is a shoe in, did Wolfwalkers even get a US release? I do wonder how that studio keeps going; like laika their output doesn't seem to set the box office on fire (AFAIK)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It did get a small US release, and due to get re-released shortly AFAIK. Plus there was a global Apple TV+ launch.

That Apple deal certainly was a nice financial boon for them I'm sure. They'd also get a fair bit of funding from the likes of Screen Ireland - much-needed to support less commercial projects. They also have a deal with Netflix for their upcoming project, and have made some more commercial fare such as Puffin Rock. They're not rolling in it I'd imagine, but have got enough support to keep doing what they're doing for now thankfully.

Delroy Lindo and Regina King snubbed

Love that it must now be known as the 'Oscar-nominated Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga' :D

Best Original Score
    Da 5 Bloods
    Mank
    Minari
    News of the World
    Soul

Best Original Song
    "Fight For You," Judas and the Black Messiah
    "Hear My Voice," The Trial of the Chicago 7
    "Husavik," Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga
    "Io Si (Seen)," The Life Ahead
    "Speak Now," One Night in Miami

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Netflix have yet to win a Best Picture gong, right? You wonder if Mank is their best bet yet. The Academy love movies about Hollywood and the movie industry, and with David Fincher it wouldn't be an especially egregious choice either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭MfMan

Maria Bakalova first Bulgarian to be nominated?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Best Original Score
    Da 5 Bloods
    I remember thinking the score was possibly the worst thing about that awful movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Amazingly, I haven't watched one of the nominated films, so have no frame of reference for those nominated elsewhere.

I'd say the Oscars, like the Emmys, will be in for some shocking viewing figures this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Wolfwalkers would be the most deserving winner, but I reckon Soul is nailed on alas.

Soul will appeal far more to the American academy judges. It would be great to see Wolfwalkers win but just not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

Hope Anthony Hopkins gets Best Actor Award... thought The Father was incredible.. and he was astonishing in it...

Q - is it possible to see Nomadland on line yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

sporina wrote: »
    Hope Anthony Hopkins gets Best Actor Award... thought The Father was incredible.. and he was astonishing in it...

It’s on Disney Star from the 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

It’s on Disney Star.

oh I don't have that - but so, it has been released on line? I will prob be in cinema here when they open anyway

MfMan wrote: »
    Maria Bakalova first Bulgarian to be nominated?

I hope she don't win

Glenn Close is long overdue and the lady in Minari is suppose to be brilliant in that role

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

sporina wrote: »

Agree. One of the most moving films I've seen and tackles what must be a deeply terrifying experience for anybody to go through with incredible inventiveness. Hopkins absolutely nails it and the last moments are some of the saddest I've seen on film. Still thinking about it days after which is rare.

Supporting cast is excellent too.

Advertisement