Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Academy Awards (Oscars 2021)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭sporina

come on Anthony!!!! fingers and toes crossed! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Backed Carey mulligan for best actress @5/4 favourite.
    Would be fairly pissed if she doesn’t get it.
    Great movie ,great performance.
    This will be lowest ratings years for the oscars everyone is just sick of the horse **** that goes with it.
    Not many good films this year

Lol i backed her as well she was 6/4 in Boyles hopefully tonight not a repeat of the Globes where she was 2nd fav to Viola Davis then became fav then lost in a shock result to the Billie Holiday actress. Joke of a result but just like the Oscars the year before the Globes suddenly decided they had to look like they support diversity and gave awards to any minority they could. Like, I thought Parasite was good last year but no way it should have beat out Once Upon a Time in Hollywod (my pick) who had top performances from Dicaprio and Brad Pitt (no one will ever hear of the Parasite actors again), a very charming if subtle performance by Margot Robbie as Sharon Tate an amazing recreation of 70s Hollywood (vs a set design of a few houses mostly) and a really great twist fairy tale ending. That English war film was actually favorite last year, I didn't back it or think it should win (because if Saving Private Ryan didn't, how could that one which I can not even recall the name of.)

I knew the same thing could happen with the GGs but I still thought with all the metoo ish stuff that Promising Young Woman would be all the rage esp for the woman's category.

No exaggeration I really think Carey Mulligan is the finest actress working in the last 15 years, crushed every role she's in, and is overdue an Oscar. She's just captivating, classy and I could watch her stare out a window and enjoy it.

I think her long resume of great roles starting with An Education, Great Gatsby, Drive, Never Let Me Go, The Dig will stand to her tonight and hopefully like myself the Academy also feels she is due this win even though she happens to be white.

Most the other favs are unbackable prices at this point but I did get some of 5/1 and for sound of metal best editing and 4/1 best sound back before Christmas (evens and 1/33 for those cats now). If sound of metal loses best editing to Chicago 7 that's a joke, to me that's the most overrated film of the year, Sorkins schtick is pretty tired to me at this point. Sound of Metal way more original film probably the most underrated of the year to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 keewan

Are there any live stream links that I can use?

keewan wrote: »
    Are there any live stream links that I can use?

Probably can't post them here but a lot of the sites that show sports streams will do the oscars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,594 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Daniel Kaluuya wins for best supporting actor

Best Director goes to Chloe Zhao for Nomadland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Soul beats Wolfwalkers. Not surprising, but still disappointing.

Best Actress in a Supporting Role goes to Yuh-Jung Youn for Minari

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

loved her speech

• Advertisement

khalessi wrote: »
    loved her speech

Me too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

For someone considering another Indiana Jones movie Harrison is out of breath just reading all of that

Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross and Jon Batiste win best original score for Soul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Was Meaghan Markle nominated?

Got Hopkins at 11/2 for the win. Long odds for what was by a vast stretch the best performance of the season. The bookies obviously had lost total faith in the oscars to deliver the right result....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Have not seen the Anthony Hopkins movie but that movie with Boseman did nothing for me

• Advertisement

Honestly I thought Boseman was a complete lock for the posthumous win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Congrats to Chloe Zhao. Excited to see her unique voice used to its fullest in Marvel's The Eternals, when Blognorf fights Jumdaar on a volcano.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Congrats to Chloe Zhao. Excited to see her unique voice used to its fullest in Marvel's The Eternals, when Blognorf fights Jumdaar on a volcano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Has anyone here seen Nomadland?? Is it better than into the wild the Sean Penn directed film from over 10 years ago?? Both films seem to have similar theme, and I really liked into the wild especially the performance from Emile Hirsch, he was robbed of an oscars nomination. Parasite last year was fantastic so it must be good to take it’s place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,750 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Has anyone here seen Nomadland?? Is it better than into the wild the Sean Penn directed film from over 10 years ago?? Both films seem to have similar theme, and I really liked into the wild especially the performance from Emile Hirsch, he was robbed of an oscars nomination. Parasite last year was fantastic so it must be good to take it’s place.

I haven’t seen it yet (waiting for its release here later this week) but generally the quality can veer wildly when it comes to ‘Best Picture’ each year. Parasite and Moonlight are arguably the best Oscar choices in decades... while IMO Green Book is one of the most terrible. So the previous year’s precedent is no guide anymore.

I do look forward to watching Nomadland as I really liked The Rider. But like a lot of delayed releases of big films in Ireland I’ve heard so much rapturous praise, backlashes and backlashes to the backlashes god knows where I’ll actually land :pac:

• Advertisement

I don't usually give any credit to The Oscars but delighted that Hopkins and McDormand won.. woo hoo.. 2 of my fav actors... and AH at the fine age of 83 - respect! Pity about Wolfwalkers but strong competition from Soul.. they should be dead proud of themselves regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Honestly I thought Boseman was a complete lock for the posthumous win

People seem to be up in arms over the confusion caused by the time slot.

I haven't watched either performance to be honest. Honestly there was a time I would have watched every performance to try and give a balanced view. Might try and watch this week.

An ailing elderly father however is a sore subject for me so I'm not looking forward to it.

I haven’t seen it yet (waiting for its release here later this week) but generally the quality can veer wildly when it comes to ‘Best Picture’ each year. Parasite and Moonlight are arguably the best Oscar choices in decades... while IMO Green Book is one of the most terrible. So the previous year’s precedent is no guide anymore.

I do look forward to watching Nomadland as I really liked The Rider. But like a lot of delayed releases of big films in Ireland I’ve heard so much rapturous praise, backlashes and backlashes to the backlashes god knows where I’ll actually land :pac:

Moonlight definitely falls into the 'arguable' category. I find it very hard to rate films that have large portions of them decidedly average - which was the first at least 30 mins of moonlight which was so average I turned it off at the time...just as with the other 'masterpiece' First Cow :D

I'm expecting you will love Nomadland because there is no doubting the quality of cinematography. I think you are more capable of that sustaining you through lets say a non eventful drama then I am as I switched off after an hour. Just too many boring non event people in a very boring story.

In comparison to Into the Wild which I watched last week, that is more of a movie, its a drama, it has wonder, it drew me in. Nomadland did not have that effect at all. I seem to be in the minority though as most of the planet is gushing over it.

Boseman was 1/25 odds on that was some shock. Can't believe Carey lost again as favorite but at least it was Frances this time who was great as always and Nomadland was definitely a more Oscary-type film than PW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

An ailing elderly father however is a sore subject for me so I'm not looking forward to it.

Likewise, I watched it though, and Anthony Hopkins was utterly superb in the role. I'd like to think we could all learn from the film.
    I haven't seen any of the other Best Actor nominated films, but he deserved his win.

Delighted for Frances McDormand.
    She is one of those effortlessly relaxed actors who just seems to find the right role, or vice versa.
    I'd like to think she laughs herself to sleep at night, at the silly money she gets paid for doing something which looks so easy for her.

wow its mad how people's opinions vary... but it would be boring if we all felt the same..

I didn't rate Moonlight at all.. but thought Hidden Figures was brilliant that year..

But I lovvvvvvved Green Book - wow... incredible writing and acting.. another gong The Oscars got right imo..

Loved The Rider.. wow.. incredible acting - wow wow wow..

Gonna watch Nomadland tomorrow night.. really looking forward to it...

Re: The Father.. it might be a tough watch for anyone with an elderly loved one, and even more so if they have dementia.. but its such an incredible piece of writing/acting.. and it could be cathartic..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

I found Nomadland impressively made but strangely uninvolving, Frances Mc Dormand gives a really 'un-oscarsy' performance in that there's no big emotional showcase scene, but she is fantastic, as always.

I kind of felt the same way about Moonlight a couple of years ago. I can see why people connected with it but it just left me cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Boseman was 1/25 odds on that was some shock. Can't believe Carey lost again as favorite but at least it was Frances this time who was great as always and Nomadland was definitely a more Oscary-type film than PW.

I didn’t realise he was such a prohibitive favourite! :eek: I think people were assuming it would a Heath Ledger repeat but Ledger’s Joker was iconic. Chadwick Boseman was just simply less famous too. I had not heard of him until he died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I saw a tweet that Anthony Hopkins was 7/1 to win over the weekend. I meant to put a few quid on him even though I felt absolutely sure Chadwick Boseman would have won, as he had done in so many other awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

MfMan wrote: »
    Who is the best actor (either gender) without an Oscar?

Brendan Gleason (for Calvary) and Brian Cox (for Manhunter) deserved one a long time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It looks like the biggest winner at the Academy Awards was Identity Politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,321 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Cuba Gooding Jr is even sh1t in " Boys N the Hood , everyone else is great

i think he has to be the worst actor ever to win ?
    Actress for me would be Gwyneth Paltrow winning for Shakespeare in love.

Actor I would go for Al Pacino in scent of a woman...meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the biggest loser were the homeless that were forced to move for the event

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Man... Thank God... Man... etc ... Academy Award for most rambling gibberish :pac:

Lance Henriksen plays similar character in Falling to Hopkins and was completely snubbed

Viggo Mortensen's directorial debut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

bigar wrote: »
    Brendan Gleason (for Calvary) and Brian Cox (for Manhunter) deserved one a long time ago.

I'll see your Brian Cox and raise you a Michael Gambon.

I didn’t realise he was such a prohibitive favourite! :eek: I think people were assuming it would a Heath Ledger repeat but Ledger’s Joker was iconic. Chadwick Boseman was just simply less famous too. I had not heard of him until he died.

Boseman had been winning most awards and his performance is supposedly great in that film

Boseman lead a quite life besides his Marvel media appearances, he was on the cusp of big things in his movie choices outside of Marvel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the ratings were down nearly 60% lol

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

You know I was thinking that the last couple of years.
    The oscars has become a political show now.
    They have gone to a stage of having to prove how woke they are, instead of stick to honouring the best performances.

I didnt even bother with it this year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wait. The Oscars is about the best films and performances? When was this radical change in tactic adopted then? :pac: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I remember only too well the complexity surrounding Heath Ledger's win. What helped is that after having watched all nominated performances, I felt his portrayal of The Joker edged it on merit (PSH was close second for me in Doubt).

That being said his win for TDK was just as much about how he was (wrongly IMO) snubbed for Brokeback. That's just how the Academy works. Would Ledger have won posthumously had he won years prior? My inkling tells me maybe not, and maybe that's what ultimately went against Chad; he just didn't have that buffer of a previously nominated strong showing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Great that Anthony Hopkins won again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,463 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

JimmyVik wrote: »
    You know I was thinking that the last couple of years.
    The oscars has become a political show now.
    They have gone to a stage of having to prove how woke they are, instead of stick to honouring the best performances.

I didnt even bother with it this year.

They must be sincere, it’s not as if they act for a living.

branie2 wrote: »
    Great that Anthony Hopkins won again

30 years after his last win

Hopkins should have won for The Remains Of The Day , its his best performance in my view and was certainly superior to Tom Hanks in Philadelphia , i like Tom Hanks BTW

• Advertisement

bigar wrote: »

Calvary was pure crap

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Boseman had been winning most awards and his performance is supposedly great in that film

Boseman lead a quite life besides his Marvel media appearances, he was on the cusp of big things in his movie choices outside of Marvel

the film ( Ma raineys black bottom ) is mediocre

watched Nomadland tonight - we lovved it.. a feast for the soul as well as the eyes.. wudda loved to have seen it in cinema.. the soundtrack was bang on too.. felt almost transcendental at times.. oh I could go on but just remembered that this is not a review thread and I don't wanna spoil it for anyone.. but there wer so many scenes that tugged hard at my heart strings... McDormand was 1st excellent.. fair play to The Oscars for honouring this one.. and I didn't know she co produced it.. hats off to her!

Thought Angela Bassett gave a great performance for her from the heart speech/introduction :pac:

Watched about a 1/2 hour of it last night - then it dawned on me it wasn't live, so I thought "what's the point?" in watching this muck.

Thought Angela Bassett gave a great performance for her from the heart speech/introduction :pac:

Watched about a 1/2 hour of it last night - then it dawned on me it wasn't live, so I thought "what's the point?" in watching this muck.

Stunningly beautiful woman

• Advertisement
Advertisement