Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Academy Awards (Oscars 2021)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I hope she don't win

Glenn Close is long overdue and the lady in Minari is suppose to be brilliant in that role

Who is the best actor (either gender) without an Oscar? I'm not talking either about who is 'due' or 'overdue' - I mean strictly on merit. I would suggest Ralph Fiennes, though I'm sure some would make a case for Steve Buscemi or John Turturro amongst others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭flasher0030

MfMan wrote: »
    Who is the best actor (either gender) without an Oscar? I'm not talking either about who is 'due' or 'overdue' - I mean strictly on merit. I would suggest Ralph Fiennes, though I'm sure some would make a case for Steve Buscemi or John Turturro amongst others.

I had a quick google on this topic. There are some serious heavy hitters in there without an oscar - Fiennes, Glen Close, Edward Norton, Harrison Ford, Robert Downey Jnr, Cruise, Depp, Bill Murray, Michael Keaton.

If I had to pick one it would be Ed Norton - Primal Fear and American History X.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Zaney

Probably too many. Helena Bonham Carter, Saoirse Ronan, Michelle Williams, Amy Adams, Brad Pitt. Alan Rickman was never even nominated?!?!?

Who’s the worst actor to have won? Eddie Redmayne?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Zaney wrote: »

Rami Malek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I haven't seen Hillbilly Elegy, but Glenn Close has a serious body of work to never have won an Oscar.
    Also in that movie, I'd have Amy Adams near the top of the list for best actors/actresses never to win one. I'm baffled how she wasn't even nominated for Arrival or Nocturnal Animals in 2016.
    Michelle Williams is usually very reliable (four noms suggests as much), so seems overdue.
    Jake Gyllenhaal has put in some serious efforts in his career as well with Prisoners, Nightcrawler, Brokeback Mountain and more...

Cuba Gooding Jr has to be a contender for worst winner.
    It was a fun performance in Jerry Maguire, but his acting credentials leave a lot to be desired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I had a quick google on this topic. There are some serious heavy hitters in there without an oscar - Fiennes, Glen Close, Edward Norton, Harrison Ford, Robert Downey Jnr, Cruise, Depp, Bill Murray, Michael Keaton.

If I had to pick one it would be Ed Norton - Primal Fear and American History X.

i still like him but Harrison Ford has very little range as an actor , he was more of a movie star than an actor

like i said though i still like him

I haven't seen Hillbilly Elegy, but Glenn Close has a serious body of work to never have won an Oscar.
    Also in that movie, I'd have Amy Adams near the top of the list for best actors/actresses never to win one. I'm baffled how she wasn't even nominated for Arrival or Nocturnal Animals in 2016.
    Michelle Williams is usually very reliable (four noms suggests as much), so seems overdue.
    Jake Gyllenhaal has put in some serious efforts in his career as well with Prisoners, Nightcrawler, Brokeback Mountain and more...

Cuba Gooding Jr has to be a contender for worst winner.
    It was a fun performance in Jerry Maguire, but his acting credentials leave a lot to be desired.

Cuba Gooding Jr is even sh1t in " Boys N the Hood , everyone else is great

i think he has to be the worst actor ever to win ?

Everyone to their own but if Cruise or Bill Murray ever win an Oscar, I will eschew cinema for all time. Pitt has one for 'Once...Hollywood' no?

Zaney wrote: »
    Probably too many. Helena Bonham Carter, Saoirse Ronan, Michelle Williams, Amy Adams, Brad Pitt. Alan Rickman was never even nominated?!?!?

Not necessarily the worst actor, but Lee Marvin's win for the frankly baffling Cat Ballou (well named, it was cat) is really strange.

Robert Mitchum was never nominated, a travesty given his tour-de-force in Night Of The Hunter. Nobody would begrudge David Strathairn a win, quietly steals every movie he appears in.

Everyone to their own but if Cruise or Bill Murray ever win an Oscar, I will eschew cinema for all time. Pitt has one for 'Once...Hollywood' no?

Cruise's performance in Born on the 4th of July was Oscar worthy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Cruise's performance in Born on the 4th of July was Oscar worthy

Ditto Magnolia.

As for the original question, it amazes me that Peter O'Toole never won (ignoring the honorary one).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe it's cos he has never had a standout role but a sequence of supporting ones, but it's insane how John Goodman has never even had a single Academy nomination. Maybe it's that classic curse that "comedy" actors not seen as "proper" professionals, but the man consistently gives magnetic, barnstorming performances. 10 Cloverfield Lane was an amazing turn by the guy; he should have got a nomination for that one alone.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Maybe it's cos he has never had a standout role but a sequence of supporting ones, but it's insane how John Goodman has never even had a single Academy nomination. Maybe it's that classic curse that "comedy" actors not seen as "proper" professionals, but the man consistently gives magnetic, barnstorming performances. 10 Cloverfield Lane was an amazing turn by the guy; he should have got a nomination for that one alone.

Good shout on Goodman. Fiennes should have at least been nominated for The Constant Gardener, and he was excellent in Spider too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Really?? Tom Cruise was nominated 3 times and Bill Murray got his nomination for Lost in Translation. So they were within a whisker of an oscar.

These movies are often seen as obscure this year but I’ve seen more of these movies on streaming platforms than in cinema in normal years. I mean often you can’t even get to see the nominees in Ireland prior to the Oscars.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Ditto Magnolia.

As for the original question, it amazes me that Peter O'Toole never won (ignoring the honorary one).

Always over acts

• Registered Users Posts: 85,373 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I would think Michael Fassbender is one this generation's best, Joaquin Phoenix finally won last year, I would also agree on Ralph Fiennes and maybe Woody Harrelson, he can do comedy and drama well

Cruise gets a lot of stick for his beliefs and love of action films, adrenaline junkie etc., but he can deliver dramatic performances too, hell he was great imho in comedy musical Rock of Ages and Tropic Thunder

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Ill make a safe prediction, ratings will be the lowest in years :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Backed Carey mulligan for best actress @5/4 favourite.
    Would be fairly pissed if she doesn’t get it.
    Great movie ,great performance.
    This will be lowest ratings years for the oscars everyone is just sick of the horse **** that goes with it.
    Not many good films this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭sporina

come on Anthony!!!! fingers and toes crossed! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Backed Carey mulligan for best actress @5/4 favourite.
    Would be fairly pissed if she doesn’t get it.
    Great movie ,great performance.
    This will be lowest ratings years for the oscars everyone is just sick of the horse **** that goes with it.
    Not many good films this year

Lol i backed her as well she was 6/4 in Boyles hopefully tonight not a repeat of the Globes where she was 2nd fav to Viola Davis then became fav then lost in a shock result to the Billie Holiday actress. Joke of a result but just like the Oscars the year before the Globes suddenly decided they had to look like they support diversity and gave awards to any minority they could. Like, I thought Parasite was good last year but no way it should have beat out Once Upon a Time in Hollywod (my pick) who had top performances from Dicaprio and Brad Pitt (no one will ever hear of the Parasite actors again), a very charming if subtle performance by Margot Robbie as Sharon Tate an amazing recreation of 70s Hollywood (vs a set design of a few houses mostly) and a really great twist fairy tale ending. That English war film was actually favorite last year, I didn't back it or think it should win (because if Saving Private Ryan didn't, how could that one which I can not even recall the name of.)

I knew the same thing could happen with the GGs but I still thought with all the metoo ish stuff that Promising Young Woman would be all the rage esp for the woman's category.

No exaggeration I really think Carey Mulligan is the finest actress working in the last 15 years, crushed every role she's in, and is overdue an Oscar. She's just captivating, classy and I could watch her stare out a window and enjoy it.

I think her long resume of great roles starting with An Education, Great Gatsby, Drive, Never Let Me Go, The Dig will stand to her tonight and hopefully like myself the Academy also feels she is due this win even though she happens to be white.

Most the other favs are unbackable prices at this point but I did get some of 5/1 and for sound of metal best editing and 4/1 best sound back before Christmas (evens and 1/33 for those cats now). If sound of metal loses best editing to Chicago 7 that's a joke, to me that's the most overrated film of the year, Sorkins schtick is pretty tired to me at this point. Sound of Metal way more original film probably the most underrated of the year to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 keewan

Are there any live stream links that I can use?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

keewan wrote: »
    Are there any live stream links that I can use?

Probably can't post them here but a lot of the sites that show sports streams will do the oscars

Daniel Kaluuya wins for best supporting actor

Best Director goes to Chloe Zhao for Nomadland

Soul beats Wolfwalkers. Not surprising, but still disappointing.

Best Actress in a Supporting Role goes to Yuh-Jung Youn for Minari

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

loved her speech

• Advertisement

khalessi wrote: »
    loved her speech

Me too

Advertisement