Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Personally I would feck the bill in the bin.

Of course you would but you're not the OP and you won't have issues with future deliveries as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

Have got a few in work they will charge a late payment fee if its not paid within a month of invoice date its in their T&C also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 caketopper123

Thanks, I have contacted Tog24 in the first instance to see if they can offer a resolution. I know the onus isn't on them to help, but I do feel that the process wasn't transparent from their end, I genuinely thought they had an EU distribution centre as there was no mention on the website of customs. Other UK based companies I have dealt with e.g. Jojo Maman Bebe, have a guarantee that Irish customers fees will be covered, Im sure prices may have gone up accordingly but at least you aren't caught out. As we all know, Amazon factor in likely fees at the time of transaction. Anyway, more fool me I suppose but also feel the company wasn't Brexit ready and should have flagged the issue to customers.

Will let you know if / what their response is.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭magoo84

magoo84 wrote: »
    I'm having this problem too. Parcel arrived into Dublin on Thursday morning from Gomibo.ie, and the tracking said it was to be "delivered by end of day."

Parcel didn't arrive, so I called yesterday but their Dublin phone number just forwards you onto their international call center - there's no number for their Dublin Depot. They said it would definitely be delivered by last night, but again, no parcel. Yesterday evening, the tracking was updated to say "A delivery change was requested for this package". I contacted them on Twitter and their agent said they tried to call me but got no answer (they didn't).

I was out on a walk today and by chance I saw a UPS delivery van so I flagged down the driver and asked him if he had my parcel onboard but he didn't.

They are an absolute joke of a service. At this rate they're making Fastway look good

Gomibo are now investigating this as the package hasn't been delivered. There are some serious shenanigans going in the UPS depot in North Dublin. They've lost 5 parcels belonging to me in the course of a year.

The depot has been in the news a couple of times in the last few years regarding employees stealing parcels.

See https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/former-ups-employee-spared-jail-over-role-in-phone-stealing-operation-1.4502429

And also

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20467993.html

• Registered Users Posts: 38 AmyMay

Hi, looking for advise. I ordered a jacket from Tog24 (based in UK) in February. Item was delivered via UPS end of Feb. This week I received an invoice by post for 35 euro from UPS for customs relating to this delivery. Invoice seems legit.

I checked the Tog24 website and see they are now no longer delivering to Ireland/ EU.

I would have thought any customs charges should have been paid prior to delivery. The whole thing seems unusual esp. receiving the invoice by post- they obviously were not passed on my email address/ phone number by Tog24.

Do any of ye know anything about this?

Many thanks
    L

This sounds like the letter I got. You should definitely have ended up with a bill in February unless the company charged you at checkout if they were registered for Irish VAT. I paid on the door but got issued a late invoice anyhow.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

I ordered an item worth €40 from Korea. When the UPS driver arrived, he said there are additional charges of €108 due on it. I thought that was shockingly high, I told him I'd have to think about it. He said I could always just refuse the delivery.

I called UPS and said I will be refusing the delivery, and when the driver came back a few days later I told him the same, to return to sender, which he accepted and took the package away. End of story I had thought.

It's a month later now, UPS have sent me a bill for the €108 + overdue charges of €8. On top of this, they say the package is now lost by them, I need to open an investigation to locate it, and "furthermore, the charges are still due on the order since we will locate the item upon raising the investigation."

Beyond frustrated at this point.

Can anyone tell me: was I entitled to refuse delivery, return to sender and not be liable to pay the €108 charge? The driver had given me this impression, but want to check.

Am I still liable to pay if UPS themselves say they have lost the package?

Any advice on the best way to resolve this?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Got one of these letters today. Everything matched up with something I ordered from the UK which was delivered about a month ago.

I paid the driver in cash at the door. They don't hand over the parcel unless its paid or you give them a reference number in any case. I still have the messages I received from the driver on the day of the delivery.

Contacted the UPS number in Dublin who basically just took my details and said I would be contacted by their payments section.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 AmyMay

Have UPS changed their system? I paid on the door in February, I got a call the day before delivery from the driver. to have cash ready. A family member was waiting on a parcel from the UK for the last four weeks with UPS, it has been held in Stansted and the Irish UPS office rang him looking for payment, I'm assuming it'll be released on payment. The process actually took so long we assumed the item was lost.
    The service is very messy given their handling charge.
    In comparison, DPD sent me a text to pay via online link and I had the item shortly after that. Handling charges were less also. Much neater system and I would have no hesitation using them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

UPS seem to be lagging behind other couriers with regard to collecting import duty/VAT. If you call the number on their website and ask to pay an invoice, I have been told that you can only pay in cash to the driver. However, sometimes the driver gives a different Dublin number and I can never get through on it.

As you said this seems to be a problem UPS are having, as other couriers send a link to pay and release the package for delivery.

From now on, I will be asking for a receipt if I ever pay in cash again.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭tiegan

UPS seem to be lagging behind other couriers with regard to collecting import duty/VAT. If you call the number on their website and ask to pay an invoice, I have been told that you can only pay in cash to the driver. However, sometimes the driver gives a different Dublin number and I can never get through on it.

As you said this seems to be a problem UPS are having, as other couriers send a link to pay and release the package for delivery.

From now on, I will be asking for a receipt if I ever pay in cash again.

I made the mistake of refusing delivery because they would not issue a receipt. Finally got through to UPS billing, they sent me an invoice which I paid immediately. Three weeks later, they were still telling me that they had not been paid. So I told them to deliver parcel and I would pay cod. I was desperate as the parcel contained veterinary meds. So I ended up paying 53e twice!! That stung. Bank have put a trace on payment, but I have little hope of seeing it again. Especially as Irish VAT was paid at checkout and so there should have been no extra to pay. Lesson learned. Will NEVER EVER use UPS again. Their handling fee is extortionate!! 15e and then 3.50e VAT on top of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭GMROCKS

Got an item delivered from a big company Wales,cost €200.almost a month has passed and got all letter yesterday from UPS stating that I owe almost€60 on charges,and an extra 40 will be added if not paid within 28days.anyone have any experience of dealing with these,at first I thought it was a scam,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

With Brexit, there are extra charges on items from the UK because they are no longer in the single market.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

GMROCKS wrote: »
    Got an item delivered from a big company Wales,cost €200.almost a month has passed and got all letter yesterday from UPS stating that I owe almost€60 on charges,and an extra 40 will be added if not paid within 28days.anyone have any experience of dealing with these,at first I thought it was a scam,

That's the way UPS do thing's, deliver the item then send a bill for the charges, instead of collecting them before or at time of delivery. It gives people the false impression that the item escaped customs charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

gerard2210 wrote: »
    That's the way UPS do thing's, deliver the item then send a bill for the charges, instead of collecting them before or at time of delivery. It gives people the false impression that the item escaped customs charges.

They do tend to collect before delivery in most cases, but if paperwork from the sending company is not complete, they will deliver and send the customs and vat charges later.

As the UK is not in the EU, the OP has VAT (and duty if the goods have a duty rate) and a €15 administration fee by UPS to be paid.

€60 sounds spot on. Vat @ 23% + €15 + 13.5% vat on the €15.

Company in Wales should have sold to you without the UK vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I ordered something on Friday that I got the UPS tracking number for yesterday (11:34am 19th April) and then got a pickup scan today (13:38pm, 20th April, Bamberg Germany).

The estimated delivery date according to the UPS tracking is before midnight tonight in Dublin!

Is this feasible? I know UPS have the "Express Critical" service which is door to door the fastest possible way and can be same day international but the tracking says "Express Saver".

So what I am asking is:
    1. Is it possible the tracking history is incorrect and the package was picked up yesterday not today?
    2. Is it possible that a 1pm pickup in Bamberg could be delivered in Dublin today?

I just don't want to bust a nut to be home all evening if it's not really going to make it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user302243

3DataModem wrote: »
    I ordered something on Friday that I got the UPS tracking number for yesterday (11:34am 19th April) and then got a pickup scan today (13:38pm, 20th April, Bamberg Germany).

The estimated delivery date according to the UPS tracking is before midnight tonight in Dublin!

Is this feasible? I know UPS have the "Express Critical" service which is door to door the fastest possible way and can be same day international but the tracking says "Express Saver".

So what I am asking is:
    1. Is it possible the tracking history is incorrect and the package was picked up yesterday not today?
    2. Is it possible that a 1pm pickup in Bamberg could be delivered in Dublin today?

I just don't want to bust a nut to be home all evening if it's not really going to make it here.

No it won't be today. Once the parcel is scanned into depot the delivery date will be updated to tomorrow.

The delivery date is based on when the label was generated and can be stale even after collection. It's only when it's scanned into the system at the first depot will it be updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

3DataModem wrote: »

So what I am asking is:

In short:

1. No
    2. No

What's most likely happened here is that the sender created the shipment with a shipment date of the 19th. This means it would have a delivery date of the next business day. For whatever reason the shipment wasn't picked up on the original date so delivery will be delayed by 1 business day. I've had this happen before and there was a notification on the tracking something along the lines of: "shipment was tended to UPS after the cut-off. Delivery will be delayed by one business day". The scheduled delivery date should also have updated. I don't know why that hasn't appeared, maybe it will later.

You'll get it tomorrow. It would have shown as having departed Köln and arrived in Dublin this morning if you were getting it today. The flight is at around 04:00.

user302243 wrote: »
    No it won't be today. Once the parcel is scanned into depot the delivery date will be updated to tomorrow.

The delivery date is based on when the label was generated and can be stale even after collection. It's only when it's scanned into the system at the first depot will it be updated.

Very helpful thank you. Label was created yesterday so that makes sense.

VG31 wrote: »
    In short:

1. No
    2. No

What's most likely happened here is that the sender created the shipment with a shipment date of the 19th. This means it would have a delivery date of the next business day. For whatever reason the shipment wasn't picked up on the original date so delivery will be delayed by 1 business day. I've had this happen before and there was a notification on the tracking something along the lines of: "shipment was tended to UPS after the cut-off. Delivery will be delayed by one business day". The scheduled delivery date should also have updated. I don't know why that hasn't appeared, maybe it will later.

You'll get it tomorrow. It would have shown as having departed Köln and arrived in Dublin this morning if you were getting it today. The flight is at around 04:00.

Perfect. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Fiddlex

Wondering if anyone has run into the same issue I have. I ordered a package from Germany that was shipped on the 22nd and departed Germany on the same day. It arrived in Corbeil Essonnes, France on the 23rd and Departed there in the early hours of the 24th. Since then I have no updates on my tracking. Looking at past messaged in this thread, the package usually lands in Ireland in 2 days but I am on the 3rd day now with nothing. I also have not ever received a scheduled delivery date since the package was first shipped. All it shows is "Please check back later for scheduled delivery" has anyone ran into similar? Starting to worry it is going awol now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Fiddlex wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone has run into the same issue I have. I ordered a package from Germany that was shipped on the 22nd and departed Germany on the same day. It arrived in Corbeil Essonnes, France on the 23rd and Departed there in the early hours of the 24th. Since then I have no updates on my tracking. Looking at past messaged in this thread, the package usually lands in Ireland in 2 days but I am on the 3rd day now with nothing. I also have not ever received a scheduled delivery date since the package was first shipped. All it shows is "Please check back later for scheduled delivery" has anyone ran into similar? Starting to worry it is going awol now.

It will update today I bet, it usually takes two working days for an inbound scan in Ireland after leaving Paris due to the time it takes for the ship to travel to Ireland. If its in anyway busy it can take longer than 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭ruddy1987

I have the exact same shipment and no updates either. By the sound of things we might both be getting a new canyon! Hopefully it updates at some stage today to show it’s landed in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

ruddy1987 wrote: »
    I have the exact same shipment and no updates either. By the sound of things we might both be getting a new canyon! Hopefully it updates at some stage today to show it’s landed in Dublin.

Corbeill Essones to Cherbourg is about a 5hr drive for a truck (excluding any rest stops. The ferry from Cherbourg to Rosslare is 24hrs, add another 4hrs if its going to Dublin. Then add another 5-12 hours for sorting and inbound scan. Its easily 2 days minimum! Add another day if the parcel is going from Dunkirk to Rosslare instead of Cherbourg.

Thanks guys for info, I will wait over the next day or two to see it it updates. Just found it weird that it doesn't display a scheduled delivery date at all when others did previously..

Hogzy wrote: »
    It will update today I bet, it usually takes two working days for an inbound scan in Ireland after leaving Paris due to the time it takes for the ship to travel to Ireland. If its in anyway busy it can take longer than 2.

Quick update but you were right. My tracking just updated there now saying it arrived in Finglas. Hopefully will get it soon although I still have no scheduled delivery date.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭ruddy1987

Quick update but you were right. My tracking just updated there now saying it arrived in Finglas. Hopefully will get it soon although I still have no scheduled delivery date.

Mines out for delivery today.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭whoami1

I got a delivery from UPS sometime around 12th March. It was handed in to me and nothing mentioned about any other charges. On 12th April I received a letter from them dated 31st March saying that a payment was 'overdue'. No wonder, as this was the first time I had heard about it. It was one of a number of packages I had had delivered around that time by various means so I didn't know what delivery they were referring to, and the letter gave no clues. I rang them on their so-called 'Dublin number' (4.2c/min +VAT) and figured out what package they were talking about. After a long time holding, I finally got through to someone who sounded like she couldn't care less. She sent me a copy of the invoice which I should have received in the first place and I paid up by bank transfer on 12th April.

Today I got another letter looking for a late payment fee and I'm now waiting for them to ring me back.

Not impressed.

ruddy1987 wrote: »
    Mines out for delivery today.

Nice I hope yours comes soon then. Mine still doesn't show a delivery date or an out for delivery scan it only shows destination scan and arrived at facility dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

whoami1 wrote: »
    I got a delivery from UPS sometime around 12th March. It was handed in to me and nothing mentioned about any other charges. On 12th April I received a letter from them dated 31st March saying that a payment was 'overdue'. No wonder, as this was the first time I had heard about it. It was one of a number of packages I had had delivered around that time by various means so I didn't know what delivery they were referring to, and the letter gave no clues. I rang them on their so-called 'Dublin number' (4.2c/min +VAT) and figured out what package they were talking about. After a long time holding, I finally got through to someone who sounded like she couldn't care less. She sent me a copy of the invoice which I should have received in the first place and I paid up by bank transfer on 12th April.

Today I got another letter looking for a late payment fee and I'm now waiting for them to ring me back.

Not impressed.

Simply send them an email. I find it gets answered quickly.
    Put invoice number in the subject line.

Btw, their number is a standard Dublin number and in many cases will be answered by someone in ballymount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Darc19 wrote: »
    Simply send them an email. I find it gets answered quickly.
    Put invoice number in the subject line.

Btw, their number is a standard Dublin number and in many cases will be answered by someone in ballymount.

Always Americans that answer when I called it in the past.

Advertisement