Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPS

Options

Comments

When you buy stuff outside of the EU you are liable for duty. The amount varies depending on the goods but it's standard practice. Its not hidden charges by UPS, it's the norm.

I bought gatorade powder from the US. The powder cost about 30 quid, but I got hit with duty of about 40.

It's something to be aware of when buying stuff online.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved to a forum that's related to the topic instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

VAT and Duty (if applicable) has to be paid. I would check what the administration fee is and whether UPS clearly indicate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭ThreeGreens

I don't think the issue is the charges, but rather the fact that they've been invoiced AFTER receiving the goods.

If they were invoiced before receiving the goods, then the recipient has the choice of paying the charges and receiving the goods, or refusing the charges and the goods being returned.

The fact that they have already been received before the charge is passed on, is unusual. It puts DHL in a difficult position, because there is little that they can do to enforce it (they have no contract with you, and the debt was owed to the Revenue and they didn't have your authorisation to pay it on your behalf).

However if you don't pay it, I suspect that the next time you order something that DHL is delivering, they might refuse to deliver it until the charge is paid. I'm not sure about that, because it would potentially cause a difficulty with their client (the sender of the new parcel) who hadn't nothing to do with this outstanding amount.

I'd suggest calling them and telling them that you don't want the goods if the taxes is that much and offer to return the goods to them (if you are willing to do that).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Its UPS, not DHL. The fact that a debt collector has issued a letter on 5th October would suggest it was invoiced a while ago. UPS normally won’t deliver until the amount paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 khaiwhale

Hey guys, I'm probably being inpatient but I'm just wondering how long does it normally take for a package to arrive to Ireland from Corbeil Essonnes? My package has departed from there on the 25th and still no update yet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Usually 2/3 days to arrival in Finglas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭VG31

I had a package depart Corbeil Essonnes on the 24th and it was delivered today, the scheduled delivery date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 khaiwhale

Update: My package was delivered just there, thanks for the help guys! Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GMKK96

Anyone know where the distribution facility for Kilkenny would be? Would it be out for delivery directly from Finglas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

I purchased an item from outside the EU valued at 50 USD.

Today it arrived and they're claiming I must pay 50.09 euros for them to release it to me.

This has got to be a mistake.

Anyone offer insight?

Anything I can do about this, at least reduce the customs charge to a reasonable amount?

Post edited by whiterebel on

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

There are many threads on issues like this. Assuming the demand is genuinely from UPS (i.e. not a scam), VAT is assessed on the total value (including shipping cost). A total charge of €50 (which includes their handling fee) would suggest they've valued the item at around €150. Assuming shipping wasn't €100 then maybe the sender didn't correctly declare the value, so it might have been estimated. You should be able to get a breakdown of the charges

This is what UPS sent me:

UPS cleared the entry based on commercial invoice provided by your supplier. See attached (the attachment shows goods valued at 50 USD).

Customs & Excise require import tax (VAT and/or Duty) be paid on the cost of goods plus the shipping cost - on goods coming into IE from outside the EU. 

The value of the shipment is converted into Euro and the shipping amount is added to it for Vat and/or duty calculations.

The Revenue AEP / AIS System is set up to take the duty first. The amount of duty is then added to the taxable value for Vat calculations. 

The shipping is calculated on the weight of the shipment and the country of export, this package was from South Korea and at a weight of 0.5KG at a cost of €86.95 ( For duty purposes UPS apply a 30% discount on shipping)

To clarify UPS are not charging you the shipping we add to your customs declaration but you are required to pay the import tax on it.

Duty calculated @0%

VAT @23% of TOTAL value of shipment (value of goods + shipping [total amount]+Duty)

€132.72(value of goods)

€0.00(duty)

TOTAL €132.72

VAT @ 23% = €30.53

€0.00- DUTY

€30.53- VAT

€19.56 – UPS Charge (including VAT)

TOTAL CHARGE €50.09

In physics we trust....

What they're saying in this instance is, the sender did not include a delivery charge on their invoice, so UPS added one.

Based on the supposed weight being 0.5 kgs and the country being outside the EU.

€86.95 is the amount they added.

Surely there's a way to challenge that.

Perhaps have the sender forward me an updated invoice including shipping charges this time?

Or any suggestions?

It's ludicrous UPS want to add on €86.95 for shipping when the item value is 50 USD.

In physics we trust....

Follow up explanation of their customs charge:

This isn’t an estimate as there is no shipping on the commercial invoice UPS are obliged to add shipping.

The shipping is calculated on the weight of the shipment and the country of export, this package was from South Korea and at a weight of 0.5KG at a cost of €86.95. To clarify UPS are not charging you the shipping we add to your customs declaration, but you are required to pay the import tax on it.

In physics we trust....

€19.56 – UPS Charge (including VAT)

And what is this exactly?

UPS just randomly adding on 20 euro to deliver parcels now?

When was this introduced?

Formerly I would pay delivery fee to the sender, receive my parcel, no problem

Their response:

The €19.56 is a UPS disbursement fee, as UPS are required to pay any taxes, duties, or levies on behalf of the shipper, this is processed though our own account the receiver or third party need to pay any charges, unless the receiver have their own account and levies can be charged directly to that the fee is standard.

Never come across this before.

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

In physics we trust....

MOD: I have asked you on 2 occasion already to look at the charters for both Forums here. These charges are all explained between the charters, the UPS thread and the Duty/VAT thread.

UPS: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057825663/ups#latest

Incorrect clearance https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058233654/incorrect-clearance-vat-charges-missing-ioss-number-with-an-post-addresspal-see-first-post#latest

Import VAT/Duty thread.

If you start threads again when there is already threads about the topic, it’ll be deleted, no discussion.

UPS overbilled me for a recent delivery.

I declined payment initially, but paid when they said I would be refunded at a later date as I needed the item ASAP.

The refund has just come through in the form of a "credit note".

Can I dispute this?

Am I entitled to a cash refund (or electronic cash, refund via IBAN)?

i.e. they're not obliged to offer a credit note exclusively, are they?

Any idea?

In physics we trust....

I am due a refund from UPS and having contacted their broker and office in Ireland, was informed the person whom is processing the refund is a legitimate UPS employee, based in India.

However, they're asking me for every bank detail imaginable, which AIB customer service have advised me could leave me open to fraud.

i.e. account number, sort code, full name and address, iban and bic (standard), but literally everything.

Anyone else go through this process and how did it fair out?

Basically UPS overbilled me and I'm due to be refunded the difference.

They also obliged me to pay in cash so the refund can't be made to a card.

Thoughts?

PS - I looked through the UPS sticky and this wasn't mentioned.

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

3 days "out for delivery" now - i will never ever use UPS ever again. Terrible customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

Dealing with ups and the delivery is 2 days within Ireland as the driver is only going to the depot the next day not the day of pick up. If I order the express service will they send someone who will drop to the depot that evening or will it be the same thing?

their express service means nothing - my package was about 10 working days overdue. Fake updates etc. will never use UPS again,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Hi folks. I'm shipping a high-value item using UPS and created the shipment yesterday. I got two browser popups; the shipping label and a high-value item receipt, which needs to be printed twice with signatures from me and the UPS driver on each. The problem is I was on my work laptop and didn't have my printer set up, so I hit 'print to PDF', and the high-value item receipt was completely blank.

I called their support team and was told they couldn't resend the doc as I was not logged in and checked out as 'guest'. He advised I create a new shipment with an account and that the 1st one will be automatically refunded after a while (I think 14 business days?) if unused. But I can't find any mention of this policy anywhere and everything I've found suggests UPS are sticklers for refunds. He also seemed coy when I asked about whether this policy applied to 'guest' shipments and not accounts of business customers, and said he was unable to send emails when I asked for a link.

Has anyone gotten an automatic refund for an unused shipping label from UPS before?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭VG31

I would imagine so since they have a money back guarantee for express shipments. They'll have to refund you if the shipment is late.

https://www.ups.com/ie/en/support/shipping-support/legal-terms-conditions/ups-service-guarantee.page

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Robert Nairac

How long would you wait before writing reporting an item missing/stolen? I bought an item from the US that was meant to be delivered on Wednesday of last week. It arrived in the local area on time, was listed as out for delivery on the day and is now being listed as "delayed". Should I give it another week?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TheGlossy

I am about to lose my mind with these clowns. I want to file an official complaint against them but don’t know how to. I’ve experienced the following issues in less than 2 months.

Parcel 1. Parcel sent from NL on 01/12. Delivery scheduled for 11/12. As the date didn’t suit, I requested to reschedule to 15/12 which was approved by UPS. UPS then shows up at my door on 13/12 and 14/12 to attempt delivery and left a failed delivery attempt notice under my apartment door. On the actual delivery date of 15/12, they didn’t show up. The delivery gets rescheduled to 19/12 and I’m told on the same day they can’t deliver due to ‘staff shortage’. They reschedule the delivery to 20/12 and I get a notification stating ‘security access required’. The driver didn’t attempt any contact whatsoever. Next day, same story. Yet, a few days prior, they managed to leave an info notice under my apartment door. Go figure the logic.

I rang UPS to explain that due to lack of intercom & reception the driver needs to call me otherwise they can’t get access. The following week, they disregard this instruction and keep sending me ‘security access required’ notifications. I had enough and asked for the package to be sent back to the merchant (who has been unresponsive).

Parcel 2. Different merchant. UPS shows up again on a day other than the delivery date they scheduled and I get a notification stating ‘security access required’. I rang them to explain the situation and they tell me drivers aren’t allowed to call recipients to which I reply it’s essentially putting recipients in a complex position blah blah. I asked for the package to be forwarded to a YPS pick up point and was told ‘no problem’ and received an email confirmation. The next day, the driver attempts delivery at my apartment again and a ‘security access required’ notification was sent again. I rang them to reiterate the fact they were meant to drop it at a pick up point. They apologize and say it will be dropped tomorrow. Fast forward, two hours later I get a call from the depot saying they can’t deliver the package to a UPS pick up point because a signature is required and it needs to be delivered to my apartment. Are they mad?

So in essence, they won’t follow the instructions I give them to access to complex (i.e. to call me due to lack of intercom/reception) because of their silly internal policy and won’t deliver the package to a UPS pick up point either. What am I supposed to do here? They’re essentially blocking the delivery I’ve paid a €10 fee for!!

100% failure rate with UPS. I haven’t been able to get a single package successfully delivered.

I will never use UPS ever again - 20 years of ordering stuff online and no other delivery company caused that level of stress and frustration.

They have no regard for their customers and the Dublin tracking updates are meaningless.

The first part with the rescheduled dates in unacceptable, and the fault of UPS. However, they have explained to you that drivers don't ring customers and that is acceptable to me, have worked as a courier before. These drivers get 50-100 deliveries per day and if they had to ring customers, they wouldn't get through half the amount of deliveries. If you don't have an intercom or reception, it's hardly their fault.

The same for not being able to deliver to the pick up point. If it's a signed for delivery, it has to be signed for, and they are doing their job correctly for the person sending the goods. Apple and others have the same policy with their couriers - No deliveries next door, and no delivery without signature., and certainly no leaving it in a doorway or on the step. They should have told you that the particular shipment had to be signed for, but they were right not to do it. I think you need to get some sort of intercom system in place.

BTW, I wouldn't be happy with my local UPS driver's performance either. Despite there being a ring doorbell in place, he flat out refuses to ring the bell and leaves everything on the step. Next step is to call to the office and put in a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TheGlossy

I can’t have an intercom set up because they’ve deactivated the intercom across the entire complex, not just my apartment. I don’t own the place, so I don’t have much power to convince the management company to re-install an intercom.

I’d agreed with the UPS depot that they’d ring me when the driver was downstairs. They rang me for 1 second (and I had my phone in hand when they did), when I picked up, they hung up. I ran downstairs and the UPS driver wasn’t there.

They now are back to asking for ‘security access’. Ringing for literally one second and hanging up on me is not acceptable. They make zero effort.

• Advertisement

It all seems very awkward?I would have thought that apartments would need to have at least an intercom. How do other couriers/A Post work? I wouldn't expect A Post to have my number, so its doorbell or the same problem, as far as I can see.

Advertisement