Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWE Network Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,883 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Jericho broken skulls podcast is now up on the network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,485 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Monokne wrote: »
    Trish at 1 is just one of those WOW moments.

I love Trish. But she got over based on her looks. That's it. End of story.

She did develop into an acceptable pro wrestler and a borderline reasonable promo and she deserves credit for that. Really, genuinely does. She also seems like a really wonderful lady.

But by what metric would she hold a candle to Charlotte, Becky or Ronda? She cannot cut a promo or work a match anywhere near their level, never in a match that was featured at anywhere close to PPV main event level, never really involved in a program that was there to draw money. She was a reliable midcard performer when the division was presented in that manner. I mean how many matches did she ever have that were longer than 10 minutes?

There are two rational explanations and the answer is probably a combination - Vince's predilection for that specific look, and Vince & the companies tendency to present the past as superior to the present.

I'm probably putting far too much thought into it but it is just so objectively silly.

Afair Ronda was pretty bad on the mic

Trish and Lita main evented Raw and were in mixed tag matches which at that time was a big deal

Watched Jericho on Austin's show.

I said earlier in this thread that they won't even mention AEW and I was.... Wrong! They openly talk about it and Jericho talks about it in glowing terms! Tony Khan gets a mention, Cody, Omega, Bucks, Hangman get a mention. There's a picture on the screen of Jericho with the AEW title. Jericho says they're on TNT on Wednesdays. It was actually a great advertisement for AEW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

It was noteworthy for the barrier seemingly being broken between AEW and WWE. For me, it was interesting to a point but ultimately nothing we didnt already know about Jericho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,108 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

A great watch in fairness.

One thing's for sure, he'll be back in WWE at some point whether that be HOF or as soon as his AEW deal ends.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

If I'm honest it kinda shows Vince doesn't see AEW as any sort of a threat presently. And that's not a knock, but if he did I don't think it happens given how complimentary Jericho was to AEW.

That's not to say they won't be in the future but at least at this point in time it shows they're not considered as competition imo.

Day of Fastlane following Sheamus is a good watch

Sheamus getting a bit emotional at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Necro wrote: »
    If I'm honest it kinda shows Vince doesn't see AEW as any sort of a threat presently. And that's not a knock, but if he did I don't think it happens given how complimentary Jericho was to AEW.

That's not to say they won't be in the future but at least at this point in time it shows they're not considered as competition imo.

The only way they were ever going to be a threat was in giving talent leverage to drive up pay - which they have done - and that is why he put NXT head to head with them, to try and surpress their growth. Clearly he is cognisant of their impact on his business.

But I think people misunderstand the WCW war in hindsight. The WWF very nearly went out of business in 1995 & 1996. Vince's personal net worth was in the 7 figure range and the company lost $5 million in 1995. WCW was a threat. They could have put him out of business and that is what that battle was. It was not just about being the more successful company - it began with the real possibility one or the other company may end up going away. And in a circuitous route, ultimately that is what happened.

WWE is much more cemented in mainstream culture now. FOX & NBC Universal between Raw, SD, NXT, the reality shows & the network are paying them $700 million annually and lean heavily on Vince for content & eyeballs. AEW is not going to put the company out of business or prevent them being massively profitable. There is no threat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Looks promising, hope the best bits weren't in the trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭cena

Is still on here tonight

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Isn't this just on TV in the states and not the network?

It is. But there are ways and means.

It is. But there are ways and means.

Oh yeah definitely :D was just wondering why it was posted in the network thread haha

I'd be more interested in the lost memorabilia show. Can't see there being anything new in the Austin biography we don't already know.

Is it not on Peacock, the Network :confused::o

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is it not on Peacock, the Network :confused::o

Nah it's on the A&E network in the states.

Oh yeah definitely :D was just wondering why it was posted in the network thread haha

I'd be more interested in the lost memorabilia show. Can't see there being anything new in the Austin biography we don't already know.

"So Steve, I understand you used to beat your ex wife?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

"So Steve, I understand you used to beat your ex wife?"

Now Id love for them to at least address this. They wont.

i shall have to wait for Dark side of the Ring to get involved I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭cena

Anyone watch the doc from last night. Nothing really new it but I still got goosebumps from it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Cancelled my Sub this morning. I already felt guilty keeping it after last year's Black Wednesday, but for them to have done it 2 years in a row? They can get fupped. I think I'll spend it on OTT and AEW instead.

• Advertisement

Shiminay wrote: »
    Cancelled my Sub this morning. I already felt guilty keeping it after last year's Black Wednesday, but for them to have done it 2 years in a row? They can get fupped. I think I'll spend it on OTT and AEW instead.

I don't really get this.

Last year I thought it was awful they let people go when no-one could get any work.

This year, by the time they stop paying these talent on the 16th July, all these people can go and work wherever they want given the US will be 100% open by then. What's the problem?

They are all nice people, I am sure, but if WWE has no use for them, I don't think they owe them a job perpetually. Talent has to move out so new talent can move in. That is the business. Always has been and always will be.

They're not paying these people for the next 3 months, where did you get that from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Shiminay wrote: »
    They're not paying these people for the next 3 months, where did you get that from?

Yes they are. It's a given in such contracts, they can sit out the 90 days and will get paid for it. They can challenge it if they wish but will forego any payment in that case and it would likely be costly for them in legal fees.

That's news to me! I had no idea, thanks for clearing it up. Certainly softens the blow somewhat.

None of it makes for a particularly pleasant story though - citing budget cuts when you announce yet another year of record profits - takes a certain sickness of the soul to think any of that's ok.

I'm mixed on it. It's never nice for people to lose their jobs but entertainers don't generally get kept on 'just because'. Cassie Lee and Jessie McKay, the ladies behind the characters, seem like really nice people from whenever I have seen them interviewed but if I never ever see the Iiconics wrestle again or hear them do another promo it will be too soon. Should they just be employed in perpetuity even though WWE has decided they've no use for them?

The 'budget cuts' excuse is weak and should rightly be criticised. WWE could literally afford to have a thousand wrestlers under contract but I still just wouldn't advocate it. Would these talent really be happy being paid to sit home, in the long run? Besides which, getting released is not always a bad thing. Plenty of talent have bettered themselves elsewhere or even done well on the outside and ended up back in.

I get the Iiconics aren't everyone's cuppa tea, but I really enjoyed what they did and I still struggle to understand why they were broken up only for them to go nowhere and here they are now, being released because "creative has nothing for you" when creative are the reason they're no longer a part of a successful and well-liked team. See also: Heavy Machinery - at least Otis has something going.

Right but you'd hardly suggest that even when they were together they were an integral part of the show?

They had a run, it ran its course, and now they are done.

cena wrote: »
    Anyone watch the doc from last night. Nothing really new it but I still got goosebumps from it

I turned it off after half an hour (the Austin doc). The same stories I've heard 50 times before and told in the exact same way.

Enjoyed the Austin documentary. He was a lot more athletic than I thought. Reckon he had to work off all that drinking

The way he retired was fitting and he wasn't egotistical about it in terms of send off matches/tours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,863 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Watching the austin doc, man Vince mcmahon sounds unwell these days, I know he's 75 but jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,878 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Vince over doing the Botox and fillers as well trying to stay young looking.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Enjoyed the Austin documentary. He was a lot more athletic than I thought. Reckon he had to work off all that drinking

The way he retired was fitting and he wasn't egotistical about it in terms of send off matches/tours

Did you torrent it or where did you see it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

not network per se but most wanted treasures is a nice easy watch, pretty much just a wwe version of american pickers etc but passes the time easily

How many episodes will feature Conrad and his collection I wonder.

yeah will defo see the same faces a few times over the series

I'm actually surprised by how much I'm enjoying 1992 WWF Superstars episodes.

Every match is just a 2-3 minute squash with promos in between but it's an easy watch for 45 mins. Really makes me hope now that they can settle the issues with not being able to put Superstars episodes from the late 80's/early 90's on there.

What was the A show in the 80's/90's? Wrestling Challenge or Superstars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,338 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm actually surprised by how much I'm enjoying 1992 WWF Superstars episodes.

Every match is just a 2-3 minute squash with promos in between but it's an easy watch for 45 mins. Really makes me hope now that they can settle the issues with not being able to put Superstars episodes from the late 80's/early 90's on there.

What was the A show in the 80's/90's? Wrestling Challenge or Superstars?

Didn’t that guy who owns the right to the name superstars die ?
    Superstars was the A show until raw came along in early 1993.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Didn’t that guy who owns the right to the name superstars die ?
    Superstars was the A show until raw came along in early 1993.

I'm not sure tbh. I know they haven't been able to get the rights to it though. Shame not having the weekly show for one of their golden eras (86-91) on the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,621 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

montyrebel wrote: »
    not network per se but most wanted treasures is a nice easy watch, pretty much just a wwe version of american pickers etc but passes the time easily

Just watched it there

It's okay but Vince looks brilliant for his age

• Advertisement

I just thought the items were crap on the treasures show except for the original Mankind shirt.

A random Mr Socko and they were looking for a Cactus Jack flannel but got one that Mick wore in a few segments in 2004. Hardly a Cactus Jack original. Then the lad gets to take a burnt barbed wire 2x4 supposedly from Rumble 2000 even though they didn't use fire in that match?

Maybe I'm taking the show a bit too seriously :pac:

biography of piper was great imo, well worth checking out, sadly not on the network

I just thought the items were crap on the treasures show except for the original Mankind shirt.

A random Mr Socko and they were looking for a Cactus Jack flannel but got one that Mick wore in a few segments in 2004. Hardly a Cactus Jack original. Then the lad gets to take a burnt barbed wire 2x4 supposedly from Rumble 2000 even though they didn't use fire in that match?

Maybe I'm taking the show a bit too seriously :pac:

The 2nd episode was much better and the kind of stuff I was hoping they'd get, unique items like Taker's phantom mask and his purple gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Really enjoyed the Michaels/ Nash Untold.. intersting how Nash was champ before HBK and it caused some tension

TimesArrow wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the Michaels/ Nash Untold.. intersting how Nash was champ before HBK and it caused some tension

90s HBK was def a C you next tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

WON - "There is a new deal in the U.K. where you can get the WWE Network (which still
    exists outside the U.S.) on a three month deal for 99 pence per month ($1.39 U.S.). Obviously the idea is to try and build subscriber numbers rather than
    make money with it with the idea of finding a U.K. streaming service to buy it from them, since the new goal now is to sell territorial rights to the network to bigger companies who pay them more than they make with the network on their
    own"

What streaming company in the UK could even pay for streaming rights? :confused: Is NowTV big enough? Could they do business again with Sky? Amazon Prime?

• Advertisement

oneilla wrote: »
    WON - "There is a new deal in the U.K. where you can get the WWE Network (which still
    exists outside the U.S.) on a three month deal for 99 pence per month ($1.39 U.S.). Obviously the idea is to try and build subscriber numbers rather than
    make money with it with the idea of finding a U.K. streaming service to buy it from them, since the new goal now is to sell territorial rights to the network to bigger companies who pay them more than they make with the network on their
    own"

What streaming company in the UK could even pay for streaming rights? :confused: Is NowTV big enough? Could they do business again with Sky? Amazon Prime?

I did see that offer. I had the :confused: expression over the whole offer and why it was been done. I mean if they are going to have different providers in different areas it’s not going to be very user friendly if you go on holidays for example. That’s why the network as it was set up was handy because it worked everywhere and there was no having to work around to get it other places.

DAZN maybe.

They were going to bid for the Premier League rights this time round but have been blocked from do that by the UK Government allowing the Premier League to rollover the rights to SKY, BT & Amazon.

Also with BT wanting to sell off it's sports catalogue DAZN might try and build up it's portfolio here before the next round of bidding for football in 2025 as all they have is boxing.

https://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=148439

Ridiculous. They've been advertising the Lex doc all week on twitter and do this the day before it's due to air. Was looking forward to watching it.

https://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=148439

Ridiculous. They've been advertising the Lex doc all week on twitter and do this the day before it's due to air. Was looking forward to watching it.

It’s not being uploaded tomorrow ? Ah **** it anyway. Pre peacock the network uploads used to be somewhat timely. From the clips I’ve seen and from just hearing lex Lugers interviews in the recent past, it was going to be a very retrospective and honest interview.

• Advertisement
Advertisement