Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WWE Network Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

Is still on here tonight

• JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Isn't this just on TV in the states and not the network?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

It is. But there are ways and means.

• Monokne wrote: »
    It is. But there are ways and means.

Oh yeah definitely :D was just wondering why it was posted in the network thread haha

I'd be more interested in the lost memorabilia show. Can't see there being anything new in the Austin biography we don't already know.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,817 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is it not on Peacock, the Network :confused::o

• Advertisement

• JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is it not on Peacock, the Network :confused::o

Nah it's on the A&E network in the states.

Oh yeah definitely :D was just wondering why it was posted in the network thread haha

I'd be more interested in the lost memorabilia show. Can't see there being anything new in the Austin biography we don't already know.

"So Steve, I understand you used to beat your ex wife?"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Monokne wrote: »
    "So Steve, I understand you used to beat your ex wife?"

Now Id love for them to at least address this. They wont.

i shall have to wait for Dark side of the Ring to get involved I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

Anyone watch the doc from last night. Nothing really new it but I still got goosebumps from it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Cancelled my Sub this morning. I already felt guilty keeping it after last year's Black Wednesday, but for them to have done it 2 years in a row? They can get fupped. I think I'll spend it on OTT and AEW instead.

• Advertisement

Shiminay wrote: »
    Cancelled my Sub this morning. I already felt guilty keeping it after last year's Black Wednesday, but for them to have done it 2 years in a row? They can get fupped. I think I'll spend it on OTT and AEW instead.

I don't really get this.

Last year I thought it was awful they let people go when no-one could get any work.

This year, by the time they stop paying these talent on the 16th July, all these people can go and work wherever they want given the US will be 100% open by then. What's the problem?

They are all nice people, I am sure, but if WWE has no use for them, I don't think they owe them a job perpetually. Talent has to move out so new talent can move in. That is the business. Always has been and always will be.

They're not paying these people for the next 3 months, where did you get that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Shiminay wrote: »
    They're not paying these people for the next 3 months, where did you get that from?

Yes they are. It's a given in such contracts, they can sit out the 90 days and will get paid for it. They can challenge it if they wish but will forego any payment in that case and it would likely be costly for them in legal fees.

That's news to me! I had no idea, thanks for clearing it up. Certainly softens the blow somewhat.

None of it makes for a particularly pleasant story though - citing budget cuts when you announce yet another year of record profits - takes a certain sickness of the soul to think any of that's ok.

I'm mixed on it. It's never nice for people to lose their jobs but entertainers don't generally get kept on 'just because'. Cassie Lee and Jessie McKay, the ladies behind the characters, seem like really nice people from whenever I have seen them interviewed but if I never ever see the Iiconics wrestle again or hear them do another promo it will be too soon. Should they just be employed in perpetuity even though WWE has decided they've no use for them?

The 'budget cuts' excuse is weak and should rightly be criticised. WWE could literally afford to have a thousand wrestlers under contract but I still just wouldn't advocate it. Would these talent really be happy being paid to sit home, in the long run? Besides which, getting released is not always a bad thing. Plenty of talent have bettered themselves elsewhere or even done well on the outside and ended up back in.

I get the Iiconics aren't everyone's cuppa tea, but I really enjoyed what they did and I still struggle to understand why they were broken up only for them to go nowhere and here they are now, being released because "creative has nothing for you" when creative are the reason they're no longer a part of a successful and well-liked team. See also: Heavy Machinery - at least Otis has something going.

Right but you'd hardly suggest that even when they were together they were an integral part of the show?

They had a run, it ran its course, and now they are done.

• cena wrote: »
    Anyone watch the doc from last night. Nothing really new it but I still got goosebumps from it

I turned it off after half an hour (the Austin doc). The same stories I've heard 50 times before and told in the exact same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,712 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Enjoyed the Austin documentary. He was a lot more athletic than I thought. Reckon he had to work off all that drinking

The way he retired was fitting and he wasn't egotistical about it in terms of send off matches/tours

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Watching the austin doc, man Vince mcmahon sounds unwell these days, I know he's 75 but jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,273 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Vince over doing the Botox and fillers as well trying to stay young looking.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Enjoyed the Austin documentary. He was a lot more athletic than I thought. Reckon he had to work off all that drinking

The way he retired was fitting and he wasn't egotistical about it in terms of send off matches/tours

Did you torrent it or where did you see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

not network per se but most wanted treasures is a nice easy watch, pretty much just a wwe version of american pickers etc but passes the time easily

• Registered Users Posts: 60,273 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

How many episodes will feature Conrad and his collection I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

yeah will defo see the same faces a few times over the series

• I'm actually surprised by how much I'm enjoying 1992 WWF Superstars episodes.

Every match is just a 2-3 minute squash with promos in between but it's an easy watch for 45 mins. Really makes me hope now that they can settle the issues with not being able to put Superstars episodes from the late 80's/early 90's on there.

What was the A show in the 80's/90's? Wrestling Challenge or Superstars?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm actually surprised by how much I'm enjoying 1992 WWF Superstars episodes.

Every match is just a 2-3 minute squash with promos in between but it's an easy watch for 45 mins. Really makes me hope now that they can settle the issues with not being able to put Superstars episodes from the late 80's/early 90's on there.

What was the A show in the 80's/90's? Wrestling Challenge or Superstars?

Didn’t that guy who owns the right to the name superstars die ?
    Superstars was the A show until raw came along in early 1993.

• Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Didn’t that guy who owns the right to the name superstars die ?
    Superstars was the A show until raw came along in early 1993.

I'm not sure tbh. I know they haven't been able to get the rights to it though. Shame not having the weekly show for one of their golden eras (86-91) on the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

montyrebel wrote: »
    not network per se but most wanted treasures is a nice easy watch, pretty much just a wwe version of american pickers etc but passes the time easily

Just watched it there

It's okay but Vince looks brilliant for his age

• Advertisement

• I just thought the items were crap on the treasures show except for the original Mankind shirt.

A random Mr Socko and they were looking for a Cactus Jack flannel but got one that Mick wore in a few segments in 2004. Hardly a Cactus Jack original. Then the lad gets to take a burnt barbed wire 2x4 supposedly from Rumble 2000 even though they didn't use fire in that match?

Maybe I'm taking the show a bit too seriously :pac:

Advertisement