Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and events

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

Latest update from Leinster Athletics

https://athleticsleinster.org/leinster-fixtures-top?fbclid=IwAR1LrfgNyDHwbKsIScEOaTTxUPxug2UAZoFV9_NsvIzatGz6EMKSSUD3a38

A return to some potential racing in July with Outdoor Championships?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

token56 wrote: »

https://athleticsleinster.org/leinster-fixtures-top?fbclid=IwAR1LrfgNyDHwbKsIScEOaTTxUPxug2UAZoFV9_NsvIzatGz6EMKSSUD3a38

The organiser of the Leinster Outdoors said on Facebook that Athletics Ireland are actually pushing for a reopening of competition but they are getting shot down at the concept stage by the powers that be. The hope is now to have AAI Games in June as a warm up meet for Nationals end of June.

So it seems of all those considered non elite during Level 5 since January, GAA senior intercounty teams ARE being given special treatment by being allowed to compete from May 8th and bypass travel restrictions.

GAA is the only sport in this country that scores political points for these goons unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

token56 wrote: »

Do you know the entry requirements for getting into the Leinster Masters Championships?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

zico10 wrote: »
    Do you know the entry requirements for getting into the Leinster Masters Championships?

Simply age, no qualification standard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Down South wrote: »
    Simply age, no qualification standard

Sorry, I meant do you need to be a member of a club? Or can anyone enter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yes, you need to be a club member.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

you don't have to be a club member but you must register with AAI. Most people do this through club membership but yoi can do it as an individual also,Im fairly certain.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    you don't have to be a club member but you must register with AAI. Most people do this through club membership but yoi can do it as an individual also,Im fairly certain.

I don't think this is true. You need to be a member of a Leinster club to be eligible to win medals. Guests are allowed but I'm pretty sure they have to be a member of a club too and must wear their club singlet.

No guarantees that non Leinster club members will be allowed this year mind you, depending on what nonsense the government try to impose in terms of maximum numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Chivito550 wrote: »
    The organiser of the Leinster Outdoors said on Facebook that Athletics Ireland are actually pushing for a reopening of competition but they are getting shot down at the concept stage by the powers that be. The hope is now to have AAI Games in June as a warm up meet for Nationals end of June.

So it seems of all those considered non elite during Level 5 since January, GAA senior intercounty teams ARE being given special treatment by being allowed to compete from May 8th and bypass travel restrictions.

GAA is the only sport in this country that scores political points for these goons unfortunately.

Back on the gaa bashing again. What about hockey that is back from start of May?

Irish club rugby back to training and expect to be back at the end of May playing games

Back on the gaa bashing again. What about hockey that is back from start of May?

Irish club rugby back to training and expect to be back at the end of May playing games

Can you send on links for hockey and rugby that says this? Not that I don't believe you. Would like to have more ammunition for when I start peppering TDs and Sport Ireland with emails, Shawshank Redemption style.

• Advertisement

Can you send on links for hockey and rugby that says this? Not that I don't believe you. Would like to have more ammunition for when I start peppering TDs and Sport Ireland with emails, Shawshank Redemption style.

I know hockey is back as a member.

Rugby back training next week, a months training needed to get fitness up. Only thing stopping them is the hardness of the ground in May.

From the times
    "
    The priority initially will be a return to training in a safe and enjoyable environment for all players, young and old, male and female, irrespective of standard before agreeing structures with the clubs on a return to competitive rugby. The union’s guidelines demand that rugby returns in a non-contact format and that a month’s training is required before any consideration is given to playing matches"

League of ireland back and alot are part timers so have jobs

Athletics is non contact so no reason for it not be back.

I know hockey is back as a member.

Rugby back training next week, a months training needed to get fitness up. Only thing stopping them is the hardness of the ground in May.

From the times
    "
    The priority initially will be a return to training in a safe and enjoyable environment for all players, young and old, male and female, irrespective of standard before agreeing structures with the clubs on a return to competitive rugby. The union’s guidelines demand that rugby returns in a non-contact format and that a month’s training is required before any consideration is given to playing matches"

League of ireland back and alot are part timers so have jobs

Athletics is non contact so no reason for it not be back.

"From April 26th, socially distant non-contact training in pods of 15 (inclusive of the coach) is permitted at all players/teams under 18 in both clubs and schools. The return of senior hockey training remains under review pending future Government announcements. The exemptions to this are Elite sports*.
    Elite sports are permitted to continue behind closed doors. For Hockey this has been defined as the National Senior Men’s and Women’s Programmes. They are permitted to train and play behind closed doors."

Seems like the EY Hockey League is classified as elite sport. AIL probably is in rugby too. No way are everyone in those competitions elite athletes. So on that basis things like our Nationals, AAI Games should be happening too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

When my MiL heard that elite sports would be permitted, she presumed it meant rugger, golf, hockey and tennis. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Given that studies have shown that outside transmission accounts for 0.1% of cases, yes that’s 1 in a thousand, I cannot understand why athletics training and small local races aren’t opening up imminently. I would have thought that athletics is is even less of a risk given there’s no ball or contact.

TbL

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Given that studies have shown that outside transmission accounts for 0.1% of cases, yes that’s 1 in a thousand, I cannot understand why athletics training and small local races aren’t opening up imminently. I would have thought that athletics is is even less of a risk given there’s no ball or contact.

TbL
    The various nonsense articles from this time last year which scared people into thinking they would die if a runner or cyclist went past them on the other side of the road haven't helped. New versions of the same story having popped up through the year as well despite no evidence of any slightest bit of science.

People don't encounter rugby players tackling each other in the street so it doesn't enter their mind as something to be scared of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Back on the gaa bashing again.
    Sure we're all equal, just some more equal than others.

The return to training document outlines that county-owned gyms can now be opened for county panellists, while inter-county players can also use their relevant club gym for individual training.
    https://www-irishexaminer-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40267886.html?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&type=amp&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA%3D%3D#aoh=16187670159621&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishexaminer.com%2Fsport%2Fgaa%2Farid-40267886.html

"From April 26th, socially distant non-contact training in pods of 15 (inclusive of the coach) is permitted at all players/teams under 18 in both clubs and schools. The return of senior hockey training remains under review pending future Government announcements. The exemptions to this are Elite sports*.
    Elite sports are permitted to continue behind closed doors. For Hockey this has been defined as the National Senior Men’s and Women’s Programmes. They are permitted to train and play behind closed doors."

Seems like the EY Hockey League is classified as elite sport. AIL probably is in rugby too. No way are everyone in those competitions elite athletes. So on that basis things like our Nationals, AAI Games should be happening too.

100% agree with u. Athletics on the track is non contact and we be allowed to train in a group of 15 soon on the track

Ceepo wrote: »
    Sure we're all equal, just some more equal than others.

The return to training document outlines that county-owned gyms can now be opened for county panellists, while inter-county players can also use their relevant club gym for individual training.
    https://www-irishexaminer-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40267886.html?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&type=amp&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA%3D%3D#aoh=16187670159621&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishexaminer.com%2Fsport%2Fgaa%2Farid-40267886.html

Soccer and rugby were using club owned gyms for a while now.

If you keep the same people attending then u have a bubble and contact tracing becomes easier.

It's down to how much your sports leaders want the sport back

Soccer and rugby were using club owned gyms for a while now.

If you keep the same people attending then u have a bubble and contact tracing becomes easier.

It's down to how much your sports leaders want the sport back

But as Chivito said,
    Athletics Ireland are being shot down at the concept stage.
    I can see how the sports you mentioned can have some form of a bubble as their work is their sport. This cannot be said for gaa.
    Shows how inconsistent the whole thing is really. Golf is back next week and you have to play in 2 ball or no more than 2 household in approx 180 acre field/park, and thr likes of Cork City sports/Morton games which would only have elites athletes taking part is not going ahead.

Ceepo wrote: »
    But as Chivito said,
    Athletics Ireland are being shot down at the concept stage.
    I can see how the sports you mentioned can have some form of a bubble as their work is their sport. This cannot be said for gaa.
    Shows how inconsistent the whole thing is really. Golf is back next week and you have to play in 2 ball or no more than 2 household in approx 180 acre field/park, and thr likes of Cork City sports/Morton games which would only have elites athletes taking part is not going ahead.

Soccer is an amateur sport for most in the league. They have jobs. So same as gaa

• Advertisement

Soccer is an amateur sport for most in the league. They have jobs. So same as gaa

I've been told Athletics Ireland have been pushing and are getting shot down repeatedly at the concept stage. I'm taking that at face value. You can choose to believe this or not.

I've been told Athletics Ireland have been pushing and are getting shot down repeatedly at the concept stage. I'm taking that at face value. You can choose to believe this or not.

Wonder what their concept is and is sports Ireland backing it?

Sports Ireland got indoor gymnastics on during the lockdown in nov/dec.

Wonder what their concept is and is sports Ireland backing it?

Sports Ireland got indoor gymnastics on during the lockdown in nov/dec.

That's all I know. Contact Athletics Leinster if you want to know badly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Whats with some peoples preoccupation with the GAA. It is the largest sports organisation in the country and its ability to run a championship will bring enjoyment to more people than all other sports combined. The government are giving some enjoyment to a huge number of people with minimum risk. It's a no brainer to do it..

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Whats with some peoples preoccupation with the GAA. It is the largest sports organisation in the country and its ability to run a championship will bring enjoyment to more people than all other sports combined. The government are giving some enjoyment to a huge number of people with minimum risk. It's a no brainer to do it..

That's not really the point though is it?

It's the complete lack of consistency regarding sports deemed non elite, of which all GAA is considered as.

People can't possibly think it's OK on one hand for intercounty games to be above the rules of all other sports, while at the same time cry bloody murder when the Dublin team were kicking a ball around in a park at a distance. It's one stance or the other.

This isn't about GAA. I have no problem with their sport going ahead, but so should all outdoor sports where numbers can be controlled and can be operated safely (which athletics has demonstrated last year).

LOI is semi pro and are employed/contracted to a particular club and get paid. As such there's an industry around it, similar to horse racing.
    That not the case with gaa.

I'm not disagree with you btw, just pointing out how inconsistent the whole thing is.
    2 people playing golf, members of a inter-county panal training in a indoor gym. Bubble or not, its BS.

That's not really the point though is it?

It's the complete lack of consistency regarding sports deemed non elite, of which all GAA is considered as.

People can't possibly think it's OK on one hand for intercounty games to be above the rules of all other sports, while at the same time cry bloody murder when the Dublin team were kicking a ball around in a park at a distance. It's one stance or the other.

This isn't about GAA. I have no problem with their sport going ahead, but so should all outdoor sports where numbers can be controlled.

Only curtain twitchers cried bloody murder over teams training because everyone knows that they are all doing it in the same way as groups of runners and practically all sports are meeting up....the same loons that believe in toxic sweat.

At this point its fanciful to think that all outdoor sports will be given the go ahead. They have given clearance to a sport that gives bang for buck. It should be noted it is not Carte Blanche. My son is on an U20 intercounty panel and they are still not allowed train as a group.

Only curtain twitchers cried bloody murder over teams training because everyone knows that they are all doing it in the same way as groups of runners and practically all sports are meeting up....the same loons that believe in toxic sweat.

At this point its fanciful to think that all outdoor sports will be given the go ahead. They have given clearance to a sport that gives bang for buck. It should be noted it is not Carte Blanche. My son is on an U20 intercounty panel and they are still not allowed train as a group.

If that was true then there wouldn't have been so much uproar about it, and the Dublin manager would not have got suspended.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'd dispute the claim about a spectator sport with a few thousand nationally watching from a muddy hillside is bringing enjoyment to more people. How many people are actually physically going to watch gaa matches every week of the year, or even once a month on average across the country?

Get road racing back and a few 10s of thousands running in a regional 10km or half marathon every other month, 13,000 people parkrunning every week plus however many juniors there are on a Sunday, then weekly club races or local races around the country each week each with 100-200 or so taking part and I think there would easily be more people taking part in athletics than being stood around watching others play a sport.

There is also of course the health benefits for the country are far better served by getting people out running than letting them stand around shouting at other people running after various shaped balls.

• Advertisement

If that was true then there wouldn't have been so much uproar about it, and the Dublin manager would not have got suspended.

So much uproar? Its forgotten about already. Dublin suspended their own manager to calm to curtain twitchers, there was no suspension from outside the county.

We all love running but we have to accept it is a sport that doesn't put bums on seats or get the general population excited. I'd be more interested in how some other minority sports have got the go ahead when athletics hasn't

Advertisement