Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you don't like that everybody else does.

Options
  • 16-04-2021 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭

I was just reading another thread about air fryers, and I saw somebody mention that they think chips are fantastic, and it made me think about the fact that I really really dont like chips, and how whenever I say this around other people, they look at me like I am some sort of monster.

I think my dislike of chips stems from being a kid and not liking the big fat greasy deep fat fryer things my mum used to make, and I used to end up hiding them all over the place so that I could pretend I'd eaten them, and therefore qualify for jelly and ice cream afterwards. But even today, if I go into a chipper and ask for a burger with no chips, they still always end up putting a scoop of greasy splodge sticks into the bag. Bleurgh!

So what do you not like that makes other people think you might be from another planet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Avocado, apparently.

Fresh avocado just tastes like eating grass to me.

Also almonds. Can't stand them or anything that tastes like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

Eggs.. in all forms. A food concocted by Satan himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Beans for me, can't stand the things. Always have to say no beans when ordering a fry

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Brennan's white bread. Tis muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Cats. They utterly repulse me. I have broken up with girls because they kept cats in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Social media, especially the newer Instagram, Snapchat and TikTok nonsense.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Line of Duty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Brennan's white bread. Tis muck.

truth!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

myself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Butter
    ...puke...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Mayonnaise and ketchup. Put either on my food and it'll be uneaten food.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Onions. Horrble weird looking crunchy smelly balls. Hate them. Looking at them gives me the creeps.

I think there are quite a few things that I do not do/like that many or most other people do.

But the only two that seem to rile people up for no reason they have yet been able to explain are owning a Television and doing the whole "Santa Claus" thing with my children.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

seamus wrote: »
    Avocado, apparently.

Fresh avocado just tastes like eating grass to me.

Also almonds. Can't stand them or anything that tastes like them.

84165132.jpg

I really don't get the apparent gra for avocado at all. Ditto with the eating grass thing.

I'm with Zaph on Mayonnaise too. Vomit inducing. I like ketchup in small doses.

People who say they prefer winter to summer. Eh... wut?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

mrs brown's boys

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Football. Also Rugby. I seem to be one of the few people in the country who does not like at least one. The number of people I meet who simply cannot believe it or think it's really strange is staggering. I have many other interests which I'm very actively involved in, but because I don't sit on the couch and shout at the tv while people run around chasing a ball, makes me some sort of weirdo apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Archeron wrote: »
    I was just reading another thread about air fryers, and I saw somebody mention that they think chips are fantastic, and it made me think about the fact that I really really dont like chips, and how whenever I say this around other people, they look at me like I am some sort of monster.

I think my dislike of chips stems from being a kid and not liking the big fat greasy deep fat fryer things my mum used to make, and I used to end up hiding them all over the place so that I could pretend I'd eaten them, and therefore qualify for jelly and ice cream afterwards. But even today, if I go into a chipper and ask for a burger with no chips, they still always end up putting a scoop of greasy splodge sticks into the bag. Bleurgh!

So what do you not like that makes other people think you might be from another planet?

Hi

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Another avacado hater here, it's more the texture for me, I hate mushy food!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,283 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

McDonald’s and Burger King (and supermacs for that matter)

Alright in an emergency if it was the only option available but ...no, just no.

McDonald’s especially gives me an nauseous/upset stomach feeling almost any time I have stuff from there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Zascar wrote: »
    Football. Also Rugby. I seem to be one of the few people in the country who does not like at least one. The number of people I meet who simply cannot believe it or think it's really strange is staggering. I have many other interests which I'm very actively involved in, but because I don't sit on the couch and shout at the tv while people run around chasing a ball, makes me some sort of weirdo apparently.

I grew up thinking soccer was a girls game :)

Bacon and cabbage. Cultural heresy and all that jazz.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Typical garden BBQ's.

A small back garden in a semi-d with too many people for too few tables and seating, awkward paper plates and plastic forks and cheap-skate food badly cooked, beers from a tin, "funny" aprons and someone's granny that needs looking after.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭DodoDojo

When it's sunny and hot in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

I am really weird about eggs.. I like em scrambled... but I don't love em.. but I do feel v good after having them.. so I eat them from time to time..

But I almost have a kind of phobia to seeing the yolk of an egg.. like I would be uncomfortable sitting beside someone eating a boiled/poached/fried egg.. well.. I would just be sure not to look at their place..

No idea where this has come from? When I was a kid, Mum use to give us "guggies".. a boiled egg mashed up in a mug with butter and salt which i think I liked or mayb its just the nostalgia of it..

Anyone else odd with eggs?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Oysters and all raw fish, like in sushi with cold slimy rice.
    I love herring which is rarely in the shops. One day in Lidl I saw rolled up herring fillets in a jar, from Poland. Oh my God. They were raw and FOUL.
    However I love those little whitebait fillets in vinegar you get as appetisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

humberklog wrote: »
    Typical garden BBQ's.

A small back garden in a semi-d with too few tables and seating for too many people, awkward paper plates and plastic forks and cheap-skate food badly cooked, beers from a tin, "funny" aprons and someone's granny that needs looking after.

Irish cooking and BBQ just doesn't go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Ice cream. It's too cold and sweet.
    Also chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

Cats. They utterly repulse me. I have broken up with girls because they kept cats in the house.

I don't hate them but i v much dislike them... and so many of my mates love em.. I have to be sure to keep my mouth shut..

one mate has 2 and they are like her kids.. don't like going to her house (covid sorted that for a while) as they are roaming around and cat hair on my clothes when i leave.. and i feel obliged to go "ooooh awww oh yes they are lovely" while trying not to look uncomfortable..

grr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

Tea......even the smell of it makes me want to puke.

Cheese...same as above - I can just about manage mozzarella on a pizza, but if ordering a pizza I'll ask for feck all cheese and if cooking a pizza at home will spend a few minutes removing as much cheese as possible before it goes into the oven. Even then there are only a couple of frozen pizzas that I can stomach, I usually end up making my own.

Advertisement