Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minnesota officer shoots dead another innocent black victim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's not only his fault. He didn't shoot himself.
    Trying to escape will escalate matters.

Top tip - if you're pulled over, don't try to run.

Here's a video with help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Overheal wrote: »
    Where does she say race war? Point it out please.

Policing in the US is inherently racist, ...

Ah now, that's like saying the government in Ireland is inherently fascist...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blueshirts

• Registered Users Posts: 81,965 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Bambi wrote: »
    Has happened before.

The solution is to defund the police or to give them even less training with firearms. Less firearm training will ensure that there will be less mistakes.

You'd probably be startled to learn how very little of these ever inflating police budgets goes into training. Or not. Training is the first thing cut during austerity measures. Most departments (of which there is no national standardization) spend paltry amounts on training.

A 2017 study found that over 40 years, police budgets nationally went from $42B to $155B, yet training remained flat, folded under 4% of the budget for capital expense. Pay and benefits, militarization have all increased at a rate that far outstrips training.

biko wrote: »
    It's not only his fault. He didn't shoot himself.
    Trying to escape will escalate matters.

Top tip - if you're pulled over, don't try to run.

Here's a video with help.

Right, just pull over and everything will be fine if you just comply.

Here's videos, with help.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,629 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Let's get back to making it the dead man's fault.

He didn't deserver to be shot and killed but 100% it was his own actions which lead to him being in that position ,

• Advertisement

He didn't deserver to be shot and killed but 100% it was his own actions which lead to him being in that position ,

Ah, victim blaming.

so_good.png

Right, just pull over and everything will be fine if you just comply.
    Here's videos, with help.
    Those are other incidents. In one the driver has a gun on him and appears to reach for it. It was a terrible terrible tragedy. You can create separate threads for those perhaps?

I linked a video for this particular incident with actual bodycam footage, did you view it? Was there racism in it?

Ah now, that's like saying the government in Ireland is inherently fascist...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blueshirts

According to your link that group was dissolved.

The slave patrols became the police.
    With the war lost, Southern whites' fears of African Americans increased in 1865 due to Reconstruction governments that were perceived as oppressive to the South. Even though slavery and patrols were legally ended, the patrol system still survived. Almost immediately in the aftermath of the war, informal patrols sprang into action. Later, city and rural police squads, along with the help of Union army officers, revived patrolling practices among free men. During the post-Civil War Reconstruction period of 1865–1877, old-style patrol methods resurfaced and were enforced by postwar Southern police officers and also by organizations such as the Ku Klux Klan.[7]

Ah, victim blaming.

so_good.png

The Police women should not have shot him
    The man should not have resisted arrest ,

Both have accountability in how the incident escalated ,
    Incredibly sad situation

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Rashida tries to spin this unfortunate fatal accident into a race war between cops and black men, which is simply not true in this case.
    "Policing in our country is inherently & intentionally racist."
    There is nothing in this incident that points towards racism, but she just can't help herself.

The fact that you're using these qualifying statements is telling.

• Advertisement

tenor.gif

Someone's gotta do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,783 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Overheal wrote:
    Ah, victim blaming.
    You remind me of those guys who look to blame somebody or something else than the killer for every murder that occurs.

eagle eye wrote: »
    You remind me of those guys who look to blame somebody or something else than the killer for every murder that occurs.

I don't care what I remind you of.

I am merely trying to keep Overheal from muddling the discussion with other incidents of police shootings.
    It didn't work.

It's mad that no matter how many black people are shot and killed by police the same names are always here to tell us how it wasn't a racist incident and it was the victim that was in the wrong.

If you decided to stand on the road you might get hit by a car ,

If your stay on the path you might also get hit by a car but the probability dramatically falls & your not to be blamed at all,

This fallible thinking inexorably leads to 'police can never be at fault because the victim has always done something to attract the attention of the officer'

Worry less about blaming the dead victim and concentrate more on why we keep seeing this groundhog day. My taxpayer dollars train police officers, not suspects.

I am merely trying to keep Overheal from muddling the discussion with other incidents of police shootings.
    It didn't work.

I don't need you to backseat mod me.

You're just pissed that your stupid Chris Rock video is not relevant in the real world and is refutable by actual incidents which have transpired. Oh, the horror of having your point defeated! Send in the refs!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭bewareofthedog

It's typical of Overheal to try and portray isolated incidents as the norm in a emotional way. "We got the studies", which hold absolutely no weight what so ever.

Here's the only thing that matters, Cops in America are fearful of being killed by gang bangers day in day out. This puts enormous physiological pressure on them and not everyone was made equally, some can't handle it.

The problem is human error, nothing else and it will never be fixed. There's hundreds of millions of interactions with cops yearly that go down fine, if you want to minimize the risk of something bad going down, comply.

We can continue to throw emotional strops or dangle "studies" that show white officers aren't more likely to shoot black offenders. Like I said already, this incident was caused by human error, people should go do a course on statistics or something if they have problems comprehending this.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,783 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's mad that no matter how many black people are shot and killed by police the same names are always here to tell us how it wasn't a racist incident and it was the victim that was in the wrong.
    Doesn't each case stand on its own merits. Like I personally think George Floyd was murdered but in this instance we have an officer making a critical error and a victim who enflamed the situation.

It's typical of Overheal to try and portray isolated incidents as the norm in a emotional way. "We got the studies", which hold absolutely no weight what so ever.

Here's the only thing that matters, Cops in America are fearful of being killed by gang bangers day in day out. This put enormous physiological pressure on them and not everyone was made equally, some can't handle it.

The problem is human error, nothing else and it will never be fixed. There's hundreds of millions of interactions with cops yearly that go down fine, if you want to minimize the risk of something bad going down, comply.

We can continue to o throw emotional strops or dangle "studies" that show white officers aren't more likely to shoot black officers. Like I said already, this incident was caused by human error, people should go do a course on statistics or something if they have problems comprehending this.

"Screw your facts and data! I have feelings."

What? lol

So the victim was a gangbanger now. Brilliant deflection. Clearly a member of the MS-13 ISIS branch of the NAZI party.
    We can continue to o throw emotional strops or dangle "studies" that show white officers aren't more likely to shoot black officers.

Simply untrue. Stop that faux naivety where you pretend that 'per capita' is greek to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

This fallible thinking inexorably leads to 'police can never be at fault because the victim has always done something to attract the attention of the officer'

Worry less about blaming the dead victim and concentrate more on why we keep seeing this groundhog day. My taxpayer dollars train police officers, not suspects.

Victims keep making the same mistakes too unfortunately.
    If I was pulled over I’d comply because I know what can happen if I resist.
    Nobody seems to be very quick on the uptake. You have a better chance of surviving if you comply.

Worry less about blaming the dead victim and concentrate more on why we keep seeing this groundhog day.

No one has she wasn't at fault ,

Everyone is in agreement she made an absolute balls of things and should be held accountable and feel the full arm of the law,

All people are saying is it was nothing to do with race and if the guy had of just oden what they asked we wouldn't be having this conversation ,

"Screw your facts and data! I have feelings."

What? lol

So the victim was a gangbanger now. Brilliant deflection. Clearly a member of the MS-13 ISIS branch of the NAZI party.

You don't have facts, just a bunch of childish replies and gifs.

The fbi crime statistics overwhelmingly back the police.

You don't have facts, just a bunch of childish replies and gifs.

The fbi crime statistics overwhelmingly back the police.

Nope. "Per capita" isn't an enigmatic term.

But sure, let's talk about how up until a few years ago the FBI didn't even track police involved deaths. So of course their lack of data may be confused by people like you for 'support'

Nope. "Per capita" isn't an enigmatic term.

But sure, let's talk about how up until a few years ago the FBI didn't even track police involved deaths. So of course their lack of data may be confused by people like you for 'support'

I read the first few points in that article and gave up, how can it be racist profiling if crime is strife in poor black neighbourhoods.

Should the police ignore crime and not patrol those areas to even out the numbers between whites and other races?

Isn't it strange when white guys are killed and shot by cops there is nobody telling us about it ?

Every incident should be held on its own ,
    This one was a shocking error that the officer should be held responsible for , Yes the guy made error should have done what was asked but the Police women's error was far worse and she should be punished ,

Anyone claiming its got anything to do with race is just taking the piss really,

I read the first few points in that article and gave up, how can it be racist profiling if crime is strife in poor black neighbourhoods.

By your own admission, you are willfully ignorant.

You decried a lack of stats in lieu of memes, and once provided 'ah, I can't be bothered'

typical.

Isn't it strange when white guys are killed and shot by cops there is nobody telling us about it ?

Name one? An incident where a white suspect was blown away by cops for temporary tags or something?

Name one? An incident where a white suspect was blown away by cops for temporary tags or something?

Ariel Roman shot for crossing between car at a train station unarmed ,

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Ckendrick

Too scared of a black man to take her eyes off him to check 'oh this isn't a tazer?'

She didn’t want to get shot by a man with a warrant out for his arrest on arms charges.
    What on earth does his skin colour have to do with that?
    It’s apparently important to you, but there’s no suggestion anywhere’s this point that his skin colour made any difference to her reaction to his resisting arrest. That would be racism.
    Or can you point that out to me if you see it?

Advertisement