Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minnesota officer shoots dead another innocent black victim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Overheal wrote: »
    ...Training is the first thing cut during austerity measures. Most departments (of which there is no national standardization) spend paltry amounts on training. .
    According to your link that group was dissolved.

The slave patrols became the police.

Where did this incident happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,865 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ariel Roman shot for crossing between car at a train station unarmed ,

He's not dead? You said "when white guys are killed and shot by cops"

Funny how the white guy survives a police shooting though.

Bet the ER saw a white guy on the table too and took more care of him than 'some gangbanger' - though I'm impressed the cops 'fear for their life' didn't extend to emptying the clip for a white person. Only for non whites does that fear seem to surpass the first couple rounds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Ckendrick

Bet the ER saw a white guy on the table too and took more care of him than 'some gangbanger' - though I'm impressed the cops 'fear for their life' didn't extend to emptying the clip for a white person. Only for non whites does that fear seem to surpass the first couple rounds.

The ER staff are all racist too?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Bet the ER saw a white guy on the table too and took more care of him than 'some gangbanger' - though I'm impressed the cops 'fear for their life' didn't extend to emptying the clip for a white person.

Not sure if serious, Poes law strikes again

• Registered Users Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

You live a strange life,

Do you think everyone is racist ?
    Do you know what ethnicity the people working in the ER are ?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Great to have overheal back, was wondering where he/she had gone, cant beat sweeping generalizations for a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,631 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

How many times was this lad shot?

You live a strange life,

Weird of you to stray off topic in favor of ad hominems.

Where oh where did I say "everyone is racist?"

Do you know the difference between racism and implicit bias? If you do, then you understand that the race of the attending physician is far from the primary factor. Blacks can be implicitly biased against blacks for instance.

How many times was this lad shot?

Enough to kill him.

Ariel Roman is alive and well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

You live a strange life,

Overheal gets very upset when black criminals get killed by cops .....

So all hospital doctors are racist. Including the 50% who are not white? I thought people of colour can simply not be racist?

Ckendrick wrote: »
    So all hospital doctors are racist. Including the 50% who are not white? I thought people of colour can simply not be racist?

You're really jumping the shark there with non-logic.

I highlight implicit bias and you take that to mean 'all hospital doctors are racist'

Breathtaking ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Are you serious.

So you have put yourself into the heads of white police officers and ER doctors and have concluded how exactly they think and feel about black people. The ER one takes the biscuit.

Bizarre.
    You have reasoned that a black person's survival vs a white persons survival from a shooting are all racially determined at every step of the way.

I'd hate to be in your head.

Overheal gets very upset when black criminals get killed by cops .....

I get upset when suspects die without due process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭newhouse87

newhouse87 wrote: »
    Great to have overheal back, was wondering where he/she had gone, cant beat sweeping generalizations for a laugh.

A yellow card for that, my sincerest apologies if i upset you overheal.

Are you serious.

So you have put yourself into the heads of white police officers and ER doctors and have concluded how exactly they think and feel about black people. The ER one takes the biscuit.

Bizarre.
    You have reasoned that a black person's survival vs a white persons survival from a shooting are all racially determined at every step of the way.

I'd hate to be in your head.

I'd hate to be in yours, as you've wildly distorted what I've said into your own delusion.
    a black person's survival vs a white persons survival from a shooting are all racially determined at every step of the way.

Influenced, not determined. The phenomena has been a focus of continuing study. https://www.americanbar.org/groups/crsj/publications/human_rights_magazine_home/the-state-of-healthcare-in-the-united-states/racial-disparities-in-health-care/

You're really jumping the shark there with non-logic.

I highlight implicit bias and you take that to mean 'all hospital doctors are racist'

Breathtaking ignorance.

Lol! I asked you if all hospital doctors are racist and you answered “fact of life”.
    You don’t have a single clue what your talking about.

Lol! I asked you if all hospital doctors are racist and you answered “fact of life”.

Sorry, I'll slow that down for you: it is a fact of life that there is implicit bias in medicine. This does not equivocate to doctors being racist xenophobes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Name one? An incident where a white suspect was blown away by cops for temporary tags or something?

duncan lemp was white, computer programmer no criminal convictions or ties.
    shot dead while asleep by cops in a no knock raid over a rumour on the internet

around time of george floyd too

funny how selective reporting works and who falls for it

• Advertisement

She didn’t want to get shot by a man with a warrant out for his arrest on arms charges.
    What on earth does his skin colour have to do with that?
    It’s apparently important to you, but there’s no suggestion anywhere’s this point that his skin colour made any difference to her reaction to his resisting arrest. That would be racism.
    Or can you point that out to me if you see it?

lol, okay, so she simultaneously thought she was going for a taser, but also feared she was going to be shot? You don't reach for a taser when you're afraid of being shot.

Pick a lane.

paw patrol wrote: »
    duncan lemp was white, computer programmer no criminal convictions or ties.
    shot dead while asleep by cops in a no knock raid over a rumour on the internet

around time of george floyd too

funny how selective reporting works and who falls for it

So unless Breonna Taylor and her BF rigged a shotgun booby-trap at their front door, I think there are clear distinctions between the 2 cases....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/md-man-killed-by-officer-during-raid-had-door-booby-trapped-to-fire-at-anyone-entering-police-say/2020/03/17/d636ebe6-688a-11ea-b313-df458622c2cc_story.html

And no similarity to the GF incident, which had nothing to do with a no knock raid.

I can see why the incident didn't spark popular outrage. The victim was not nearly as relatable as an innocent EMT.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bewareofthedog

And no similarity to the GF incident, which had nothing to do with a no knock raid.

Such incidents aren't hard to find, you don't see them because you don't search for them or want to know about them. "Willfully ignorant" indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's mad that no matter how many black people are shot and killed by police the same names are always here to tell us how it wasn't a racist incident and it was the victim that was in the wrong.
    A) when it's clear it's a racist shooting then you'll probably find everyone agree to this.
    B) when it's not clear it a racist shooting then you'll probably find not everyone agree to this.

In this instance there is nothing to say there was a racist motive behind the shooting. There may be others, but in this case that doesn't seem to be the case.
    I posted the bodycam footage earlier and suggest you view it.

Such incidents aren't hard to find, you don't see them because you don't search for them or want to know about them. "Willfully ignorant" indeed.

But you've highlighted an incident which, in fact, sparks outrage.

If this was to highlight disproportionate outrage for black policing victims it's a bit of a fail, as Daniel Shaver's death have been covered far and wide over the years. It also helped the police that the video was not made public until the officer's trial was already complete. https://www.abc15.com/news/local-news/investigations/hundreds-march-to-mesa-police-headquarters-to-fight-against-excessive-force-and-racial-profiling

Otherwise yes it's another great example of policing out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

This case was not race related, this case is one of gross incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

but....he was blaaaaaaackkk.

Can you prove that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Can you prove that?

Prove what? that she was incompetent? or that it wasn't race related?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Some bodycam footage was just up on Virgin main news. Getting back into your vehicle and wrestling with cops trying to arrest you for an outstanding warrant is not likely to end well.

Advertisement