Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minnesota officer shoots dead another innocent black victim

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Ckendrick

Overheal wrote: »
    Sorry, I'll slow that down for you: it is a fact of life that there is implicit bias in medicine. This does not equivocate to doctors being racist xenophobes.

I asked you a question. You answered it. You simply haven’t a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,994 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Prove what? that she was incompetent? or that it wasn't race related?

Either, to be fair. You've claimed it was not race related so I assume you have some conclusive evidence of that?

Ckendrick wrote: »
    I asked you a question. You answered it. You simply haven’t a clue.

Well, I'll take it from some Irish re-reg who must be an expert on American race relations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

basill wrote: »
    Some bodycam footage was just up on Virgin main news. Getting back into your vehicle and wrestling with cops trying to arrest you for an outstanding warrant is not likely to end well.

Especially when you have an outstanding charge of illegal gun possession.

A nasty man, ended up in a nasty situation.

Danzy wrote: »
    Especially when you have an outstanding charge of illegal gun possession.

A nasty man, ended up in a nasty situation.

What's the relevance, if she was going for a taser? Not a gun? Clearly, this was not about fear he might use a weapon, so out with that.

• Advertisement

Can you prove that?

That’s not how it works. You’re alleging racism in this incident. It’s not for anyone to prove it wasn’t racist. You have to show your evidence of how and where the policewoman was racist.

Ckendrick wrote: »
    That’s not how it works. You’re alleging racism in this incident. It’s not for anyone to prove it wasn’t racist. You have to show your evidence of how and where the policewoman was racist.

That is how it works. If you make a claim of fact you prove it. When you say "it wasn't about race" you have to establish the fact.

Well, I'll take it from some Irish re-reg who must be an expert on American race relations.

If you have the evidence that the policewoman was racist in her handling of this incident then why don’t you just show us what it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Monkey arris

He didn't deserver to be shot and killed but 100% it was his own actions which lead to him being in that position ,

Not suggesting he be posthumously awarded citizen of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Either, to be fair. You've claimed it was not race related so I assume you have some conclusive evidence of that?

Do you have evidence that there was a racist motive is a better question.

Or could you be saying people have to prove their behaviour wasn't racist. Like a "racist until proven non-racist" version of the legal premise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Wasn't the cop who shot him black? you can tell from the video she was genuinely surprised she shot him...also nothing from the video shows any sign of this being race related, just because police pull over a black man doesn't mean it's racist.

I would of thought the incompetence comment would of explained itself, a cop not being able to tell a gun from a tazer, that's incompetence in my view,

That is how it works. If you make a claim of fact you prove it. When you say "it wasn't about race" you have to establish the fact.

But you’re the person who is claiming that this is an example of racism in the US police. So show me the evidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Monkey arris

biko wrote: »
    It's not only his fault. He didn't shoot himself.
    Trying to escape will escalate matters.

Top tip - if you're pulled over, don't try to run.

Here's a video with help.

Although a joke, (as I'm pretty sure Chris Rock isn't condoning police brutality as depicted in that sketch), that's exactly what this man did.

Just go to 1 minute in.

Although a joke, (as I'm pretty sure Chris Rock isn't condoning police brutality as depicted in that sketch), that's exactly what this man did.

Just go to 1 minute in.

Biko said a few posts ago that you're not allowed to bring that up! It's out of bounds!

Wasn't the cop who shot him black? you can tell from the video she was genuinely surprised she shot him...also nothing from the video shows any sign of this being race related, just because police pull over a black man doesn't mean it's racist.

I would of thought the incompetence comment would of explained itself, a cop not being able to tell a gun from a tazer, that's incompetence in my view,

Does the shooter being black prove she didn't have a bias? Are you saying you can't have implicit biases against your own race? I have evidence to the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

It's mad that no matter how many black people are shot and killed by police the same names are always here to tell us how it wasn't a racist incident and it was the victim that was in the wrong.

More white people than black people get shot yearly by the police. Are they racist against white people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Does the shooter being black prove she didn't have a bias? Are you saying you can't have implicit biases against your own race? I have evidence to the contrary.

What evidence do you have that suggests this was race related? id like to see it.

Fandymo wrote: »
    More white people than black people get shot yearly by the police. Are they racist against white people?

'Per capita' is not ancient latin.

What evidence do you have that suggests this was race related? id like to see it.

I have mountains of evidence to establish that there is inherent racial bias in policing.

We know the officer was too focused on her victim to verify the weapon she was drawing.

That's all we know.

I have yet to make any claim (despite others telling me I have done so here) that the woman was a racist or that race was her chief motivator for her actions. If I erroneously claimed that, however, I'd love to be shown where I did so I can rectify your confusion.

Are you serious.

So you have put yourself into the heads of white police officers and ER doctors and have concluded how exactly they think and feel about black people. The ER one takes the biscuit.

Bizarre.
    You have reasoned that a black person's survival vs a white persons survival from a shooting are all racially determined at every step of the way.

I'd hate to be in your head.

What about the racist bullets!! Huh!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That doesn't take into account that despite only being 6% of the population that African America men are responsible for about half of murders, majority of assaults and violent crime.

Per arrests you more likely to die per 100k arrests if you are White. That's fine, I don't want it evened up.

There is more evidence that police in America, especially white ones are hyper careful around shooting black people.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Biko said a few posts ago that you're not allowed to bring that up! It's out of bounds!
    Again, I was merely trying to keep the discussion on this particular case but I am not a mod here so can't make you do anything, nor do I want to.

So here is a quite unrelated video of very clear racism for you all. Racism is not a one-way street.

https://twitter.com/ChanceTyColeman/status/1381690703332397058?s=20

That doesn't take into account that despite only being 6% of the population that African America men are responsible for about half of murders, majority of assaults and violent crime.

Per arrests you more likely to die per 100k arrests if you are White. That's fine, I don't want it evened up.

We've been up and down that erroneous talking point before. It's not half of murders. How can you pretend to believe that blacks are responsible for half of murders when half of murders are never solved? http://www.murderdata.org/p/blog-page.html

Meanwhile, a review of how the police killings in 2020 happened might be helpful, most of which had nothing to do with murder, so it is entirely unclear why you think the murder rate justifies the rate at which blacks are gunned down by police?

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F83c24b0b-92b1-4899-96bb-002ad39c0718_1307x1387.jpeg

Why would you use per capita? Per violent crime stats whites are massively over represented in the death by cop numbers. Doesn’t suit your argument though does it?

biko wrote: »
    Again, I was merely trying to keep the discussion on this particular case but I am not a mod here so can't make you do anything, not do I want to.

So here is a quite inrelated video of very clear racism for you all. Racism is not a one-way street.

https://twitter.com/ChanceTyColeman/status/1381690703332397058?s=20

What does that have to do with policing? I don't see police involved in that innocent.

My tax dollars pay for police officers, not randos on the street.

Why would you use per capita? Per violent crime stats whites are massively over represented in the death by cop numbers. Doesn’t suit your argument though does it?

You're lost.

There is more evidence that police in America, especially white ones are hyper careful around shooting black people.

That's chiefly due to whites being a whopping 73% of the population.

When blacks are dying by cops at a rate outstripping whites by 3x it's well noticeable.

When blacks are dying by cops at a rate outstripping whites by 3x it's well noticeable.

By how many times are blacks more likely to be involved in violent crimes than whites/Asians?

The original stat was per 100K arrests. In other words it was comparing like with like, not in absolute numbers so the 73% of the population is irrelevant in that case.

Proportionally, blacks commit more violent crimes, and are more likely to be killed by other black people than by cops. I think that has more of a bearing on them being killed by cops than it simply being a case that they are targeted based on their skin colour.

• Advertisement

By how many times are blacks more likely to be involved in violent crimes than whites/Asians?

How often are whites/asians ghettoized by state and local government?

Advertisement