Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Channels [NO DISCUSSION -NAME / FREQUENCY/ LCN / LAUNCH DATE ONLY]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭eirman

Thargor wrote: »
    Between ITV4/BBC and Freesports you have pretty much across the board snooker coverage, one of the few free sports left.

Don't forget - Quest HD sometimes broadcast live snooker. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Oh yeah they were on my list aswell. Of course just as I say that the current qualifiers with a good few Irish playing are only available on the Eurosport app, not even the channel itself, they want you to pay for the app separately :rolleyes:

Piracy it is then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

One of the forthcoming "alt" UK news channels is currently test-carding on FTA. I think it's the one Andrew Neil is fronting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Oh yeah they were on my list aswell. Of course just as I say that the current qualifiers with a good few Irish playing are only available on the Eurosport app, not even the channel itself, they want you to pay for the app separately :rolleyes:

Piracy it is then.

Don't forget 'SportyStuff' - lots of less well supported sports on that as well as dog racing.

One of the forthcoming "alt" UK news channels is currently test-carding on FTA. I think it's the one Andrew Neil is fronting.

Do you have any details ..... frequency? PID? anything?

• Advertisement

V
    QPSK
    DVBS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Do you have any details ..... frequency? PID? anything?

The test label is 53395 and it's in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭cathy427

Thanks for the Freesports tip, just realised they have the Championship League Snooker rights, fecking lovely.

Between ITV4/BBC and Freesports you have pretty much across the board snooker coverage, one of the few free sports left.

Would you mind posting/quoting the tip? Went back a few pages and cant see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

cathy427 wrote: »
    Would you mind posting/quoting the tip? Went back a few pages and cant see it.

for freesports (and QUEST HD)

dvb s2
    vertical
    QPSK
    8/9

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭cathy427

for freesports (and QUEST HD)

dvb s2
    vertical
    QPSK
    8/9

Brilliant. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

alt :confused:

Well that's how they are positioning themselves. Not bbc/itn/sky. Brexit broadcasting!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Apparently, the Chinese state news channel, CGTN is returning to UK satellite in a few weeks. It's has asked Freesat for approval to go back on it's official EPG.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/cgtn-to-return-within-weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

"GB NEWS" is the news channel that Andrew Neil is behind. No official launch date has been confirmed but some have speculated it may launch by June. Presenters include ex-ITN/ITV News presenter Alastair Stewart, ex-BBC News presenter Simon McCoy. ex-Sky News presenter Colin Brazier, ex-Sky Sports presenter Kirsty Gallacher and ex-BBC tv politics anchor Andrew Neil along with ex-euronews/Sky News presenter Darren McCaffrey and others. GB NEWS will not be a rolling news channel like Sky News or BBC News channel as GB NEWS has indicated that it will focus on presenter-led programming.

https://www.mediamole.co.uk/entertainment/broadcasting/news/gb-news-offers-first-look-at-on-air-branding_441450.html

https://www.mediamole.co.uk/entertainment/broadcasting/news/gb-news-signs-veteran-broadcaster-alastair-stewart_441562.html

Another future news channel expected to launch in 2021 is called: "News UK TV" and Rupert Murdoch is said to be behind this rival venture to "GB NEWS". Of course he used be associated with Sky News and BSKYB for many years along with his newspaper publishing business around the globe. No official launch date has been announced as yet but it is expected to be an online streaming service with evening broadcasts on TV although; this could all change by the time of launch.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-27/murdoch-wants-to-shake-up-u-k-news-with-aggressive-tv-service

Who will former ITV Good Morning Britain news anchor, Piers Morgan join?

You'd have to reckon there's only room for one of these channels and whoever gets to market first and has the most recognisable line up will be the one to survive - right now GB News is overwhelming favourite

You'd have to reckon there's only room for one of these channels and whoever gets to market first and has the most recognisable line up will be the one to survive - right now GB News is overwhelming favourite

I would share the same view alright. GB NEWS would seem to have accumulated an impressive line-up of experienced professional individuals. That said, Murdoch and his family have plenty of experience and may adopt more of a wait & see approach in case GB NEWS suffers some casualties early on. A lot of egos under one roof! Meanwhile Sky News and the BBC News channel could suffer losses to their audiences too. There may need to be a significant advertising spend being placed across various media outlets as the UK and Rest of World needs to kick-start the wider economy after prolonged lockdowns & restrictions since March 2020. Interesting times ahead no doubt about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I would share the same view alright. GB NEWS would seem to have accumulated an impressive line-up of experienced professional individuals. That said, Murdoch and his family have plenty of experience and may adopt more of a wait & see approach in case GB NEWS suffers some casualties early on. A lot of egos under one roof! Meanwhile Sky News and the BBC News channel could suffer losses to their audiences too. There may need to be a significant advertising spend being placed across various media outlets as the UK and Rest of World needs to kick-start the wider economy after prolonged lockdowns & restrictions since March 2020. Interesting times ahead no doubt about it!

Personally I don't find a Great Britian centric opinion driven news service very interesting. Maybe its just me, but I can't see how either of these channels are of any interest to anyone outside of a very specific demographic in the UK and expats. Its all very Brexit / Fox News in flavour.

I don't think BBC News or even Sky News have anything to worry about.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I don’t think either of them will succeed tbh. GB News has some heavy hitting talent on screen but tbh Sky have tried this type of programming before with Richard Littlejohn, the Pledge, and others (remember their 2005 “Appointment to View” relaunch? No? Don’t worry nobody else does either). It’s not what the U.K. is used to in terms of news. It won’t be too Fox News either, because if it is truly partisan it will get closed down by Ofcom and it will spend its entire existence trying not to get labelled as such. Don’t expect to see a British Sean Hannity or Bill O’Reilly basically.

Personally I don't find a Great Britian centric opinion driven news service very interesting. Maybe its just me, but I can't see how either of these channels are of any interest to anyone outside of a very specific demographic in the UK and expats. Its all very Brexit / Fox News in flavour.

I don't think BBC News or even Sky News have anything to worry about.

Few of us in Ireland are likely to be enthusiastic about the pros or cons surrounding BREXIT given that it has finally happened and everyone who imports or exports directly to/from the UK or indeed via the UK as a landbridge. GB NEWS have stated that it won't follow a FOX News type model although; Murdoch backed News UK TV have indicated it will aim to be aggressive in it's approach despite the fact that OfCom will not permit standards adopted along the Fox News model to operate in the UK market.

As for BBC News and Sky News having nothing to worry about - I'm not sure this is the right approach by them as BBC has been making major cuts to many of it's services including news with regular simulcasts of the BBC News domestic UK channel & BBC World News TV for global tv audiences. Some might say this was only due to constraints associated with COVID-19 Pandemic but I'm not so sure that everything will resume in it's pre-COVID schedules as BBC is trying to reign in it's costs & expenses whilst having to pay for Free TV Licences for it's most elderly UK residents not to mention the relaunch of BBC THREE tv channel on all linear platforms from January '22.

Meanwhile, Sky News no longer appeals to me as it's become largely UK-only focused in recent years even before the change of ownership at Sky News. One expects the main British public service channels: BBC, ITV, Channel 4 to focus on UK only but Sky News recognised early on that it had a lot of viewers tuning in to it's Sky TV channels across the Republic of Ireland but now Ireland barely gets a mention apart from the occasional token report. Perhaps this approach at Sky News might change following the launch of GB NEWS and/or NEWS UK TV in the months ahead with these new services aimed at the island of Great Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

GB News carrying now/next data but still tone and bars for now.
    11307 V 27000 5/6 DVB-S QPSK ID: 53395

• Advertisement

Not new channels but new owners - Sony UK have sold out to something called Narrative Capital.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/global/sony-channels-uk-sold-narrative-1234972645/
    The Sony-labeled channels will be rebranded, with a new look unveiled on May 25, and all brands will sit under the Narrative Entertainment banner. However, the content offering, which includes everything from “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?” to the Care Bears and “Blade Runner 2049,” won’t change, as Sony will continue as a licensing and distribution partner for Narrative.
    Eventually, Narrative entertains the prospect of original content across the movies and entertainment offerings. But for the moment, says Levin, “it’s about broadening the existing reach through new digital platforms and greater investment around content.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not new channels but new owners - Sony UK have sold out to something called Narrative Capital.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/global/sony-channels-uk-sold-narrative-1234972645/
    https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/company/1179443D:US
    Narrative Capital, LP operates as a private equity firm. The Firm provides debt and equity capital to sophisticated owners of high-quality transitional commercial real estate assets. Narrative Capital also offers mortgage and mezzanine loans throughout the United States.

It all depends on how will they monetise the purchase to get a return for the shareholders. At best this will be neutral :(

In the long term I think FTA might lose those channels. :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Apparently to be rebranded “Great!”. I kid you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

icdg wrote: »
    Apparently to be rebranded “Great!”. I kid you not.

Your right,
    https://twitter.com/theidentgallery/status/1393621712030285828?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Great/Not so Great Movies would be a more honest branding

They could call Sony Movies "Great" and Sony Classic Movies "Super"

And Sony Action "11 minutes late due to leaves on the line"

GB News carrying now/next data but still tone and bars for now.
    11307 V 27000 5/6 DVB-S QPSK ID: 53395

gb news have a screen now saying coming soon and a clock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I think that might be a clock on GMT

• Advertisement

I think that might be a clock on GMT

haha yeah it is!

i just assumed it was a timer without even looking properly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement