Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Lozg wrote: »
    Mine is the same. Was just wondering what is the norm. Hoping to go to Blackhall in September, it’s very expensive!

Yes, well I would suggest applying for access program, susi grant or the busary with the law society. I think with the Busary you might have to already be enrolled, I sent an email to Paula Sheedy about it so I will let you know when she gets back to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Lozg

awsah wrote: »
    Yes, well I would suggest applying for access program, susi grant or the busary with the law society. I think with the Busary you might have to already be enrolled, I sent an email to Paula Sheedy about it so I will let you know when she gets back to me!

Would that then cover part of the fees? Thanks for all the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Lozg wrote: »
    Would that then cover part of the fees? Thanks for all the info!

I spoke to someone in the law society once about it and I think they said you can get up to €3000 which you could put towards your fees but you might have to borrow the money and once enrolled apply so there is a risk you won't get it. any information I get I will send on. The SUSI grant I believe covers about 6000 if you are eligible and the access program will pay the rest, if you are eligible.

Are any of the city colleges etc courses good for constitutional? I struggled to grasp the concept in college and I need to pass in October or I lose my training contract.. does anyone have any positive experiences or are they a waste of money? I know you can just buy the manuals but I would spend the money on the course if the lecturers were known to be helpful...?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 johnnash2020

Are any of the city colleges etc courses good for constitutional? I struggled to grasp the concept in college and I need to pass in October or I lose my training contract.. does anyone have any positive experiences or are they a waste of money? I know you can just buy the manuals but I would spend the money on the course if the lecturers were known to be helpful...?

Your chances of passing any FE-1 subject (including Constitutional) seriously augment by paying for the courses. One of the reasons smart law grads fail FE-1s so much is they don't bother with the courses because they think having studied the subject in college means they're bulletproof. In actual fact, most law students only study small parts of the FE-1 syllabi in college and their lecturers let them study even less by indicating which questions will come up in exams. The manuals only give you the syllabus. The courses tell you what exact parts of that manual you need to focus on most, they teach you the concepts properly and they give you specific tips and tricks to make sure you score 10+ on every question, rather than failing because you think being a law grad means you're certain to pass. They also keep you working gradually as you attend a lecture a week for months. Well worth it for the 300 euro each one costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

My experience with the prep courses is that the lectures are basically someone reading from the manual.

I attended one of the prep schools for three subjects and did another three using introductory books (Blackhall Essential Law Revision Series for one and Roundhall Nutshells for two). I also had access to manuals from a couple of different prep schools for the ones I did on my own, but rarely if ever resorted to them.

I generally found the manuals to be pretty chaotic, they were obviously written a while ago and have been updated in a piecemeal fashion over the years. The information is in there (for the most part) but if you are struggling to grasp a concept I wouldn’t recommend them. By comparison the introductory books are possibly a bit light on case law in some areas but are actually properly written and edited and provide a clear overview of the topics.

For the most recent round of exams I started off by making my own notes using the introductory books and then when I started practising exam questions I augmented them with any extra case law and information from the sample answers.

For my last two subjects (Company and Constitutional) I am going to use the introductory books and sample answers, and potentially reach out to a tutor for Constitutional as it seems to be an ever evolving entity.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Fe1taker2020

From my experience, the manuals are more than enough to pass the FE1 exams. Sure you won’t get 65+ but they’ll definitely be enough to get that magic 50.

I’m actually one of the more lazy ones and didn’t even watch a single video. Just simply concentrated on the manuals and passed. I’d say deffo worth the money but try and get cheaper manuals from others if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

Hi All,
    is anybody wanting to part ways with sample answers for Company / Constitutional and or Tort?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Paraeagle

I watched videos for other subjects (not constitutional) for the last sitting and I honestly found them a waste of time for the most part because the lecturers were basically just reading from the manuals. That being said, I think if someone here can vouch for a particular Constitutional course being excellent, I would definitely consider doing it as there is a lot to grasp and being clued in on recent developments is crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 54321zz

Paraeagle wrote: »
    I watched videos for other subjects (not constitutional) for the last sitting and I honestly found them a waste of time for the most part because the lecturers were basically just reading from the manuals. That being said, I think if someone here can vouch for a particular Constitutional course being excellent, I would definitely consider doing it as there is a lot to grasp and being clued in on recent developments is crucial.

I really found lawschool.ie to be excellent for constitutional. Dr Maura Kelly is the lecturer there and she is great in my opinion. Took me two sittings to pass it but I got 46% the first time around in constitutional so I was pretty close. And I don't come from a law background so was just working off her lectures and the manual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

We've posted about the FE1s together for about a year now and I want you to do well and not have your contract rescinded so I will tell you now that you should get on the city colleges course for constitutional and not have a second thought. The lecturer is fantastic and presents and explains the course in a way that I thought would be impossible to reach that level of understanding/knowledge without having taken the course. Do not roll the dice on it if your contract is dependent on you passing in October, I guarantee you city colleges is worth it for constitutional.

People will tell you "oh just use the manual" but tbh I don't think that's good enough for constitutional when you have so much hanging in the balance.

We've posted about the FE1s together for about a year now and I want you to do well and not have your contract rescinded so I will tell you now that you should get on the city colleges course for constitutional and not have a second thought. The lecturer is fantastic and presents and explains the course in a way that I thought would be impossible to reach that level of understanding/knowledge without having taken the course. Do not roll the dice on it if your contract is dependent on you passing in October, I guarantee you city colleges is worth it for constitutional.

People will tell you "oh just use the manual" but tbh I don't think that's good enough for constitutional when you have so much hanging in the balance.

Thank you so much - I’ve used just the manual for a number of subjects but am intimidated by constitutional and have the most to lose now so definitely willing to spend the money, just looking for the best way to do so really.

I always appreciate the supportiveness of the posters here on boards :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Diamond_Hands

Thank you so much - I’ve used just the manual for a number of subjects but am intimidated by constitutional and have the most to lose now so definitely willing to spend the money, just looking for the best way to do so really.

I always appreciate the supportiveness of the posters here on boards :)

You're going to hit it out of the park mate. 60% at least. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Anybody heard back from the LS re results date ???

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Anybody heard back from the LS re results date ???

I’d say we’d be lucky if we had them for the June bank holiday weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

I’d say we’d be lucky if we had them for the June bank holiday weekend!

Ah now, no reason why they can't have them to us by mid-May (6 weeks, the usual time pre covid) or at the worst by the end of May. It took 10 weeks for the last sitting but offices had 2 weeks minimum off for Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Fe1ak

Hi guys, could anyone recommend where is best to go to do a prep course for EU Law, its been so long since I studied it in college and all I remember is that I hated it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Fe1taker2020

Fe1ak wrote: »
    Hi guys, could anyone recommend where is best to go to do a prep course for EU Law, its been so long since I studied it in college and all I remember is that I hated it lol

Best I’d say would be to get a prep course from Citycolleges. Personally, I learned from the presentation slides rather than the manual. Did the exam and was pretty confident with my answers. Don’t think you need an extra material for EU, just study the presentation slides and you should be fine!

If you do the following chapters, you should have more than enough to answer 5 questions on the exam.

Judicial review
    Free movement of goods
    Free movement of workers
    Institutions
    General principles of EU law
    Direct effect / Member State Liability
    Any other EU topic

• Registered Users Posts: 36 keelfe1s

Hi Guys.....
    Can somebody recommend a prep course for contract and equity please

• Registered Users Posts: 34 RaffRiff01

lawDani wrote: »
    Hi All,
    is anybody wanting to part ways with sample answers for Company / Constitutional and or Tort?

PM me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

keelfe1s wrote: »
    Hi Guys.....
    Can somebody recommend a prep course for contract and equity please

The lawschool.ie and city colleges equity courses are both quite poor imo.

The city colleges manual hasn't been updated since like 2016/2017. The lawschool.ie manual is much better, but the lecturer is terrible.

To anyone who is looking for a refund for exams not sat:

I emailed the Law Society and they sent me a link. You use your login details and it opens a form for you to fill out. All you need to give are your personal details and the exams you want a refund for. It is only for exams that you did not log in for. No need for a doctor's note or anything.

Closing date for refunds is the 30th April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Diamond_Hands

able1 wrote: »
    To anyone who is looking for a refund for exams not sat:

I emailed the Law Society and they sent me a link. You use your login details and it opens a form for you to fill out. All you need to give are your personal details and the exams you want a refund for. It is only for exams that you did not log in for. No need for a doctor's note or anything.

Closing date for refunds is the 30th April.

Can you post the link here?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Lawkp

Did anyone get their refund yet for the rechecks ??

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

Lawkp wrote: »
    Did anyone get their refund yet for the rechecks ??

....nope...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ctc865

So I am an idiot and didn't read the no pen or paper rule. At the beginning of my 2 exams I wrote out the question topics over about 15 mins on a blank piece of paper, announced that I was doing so and showed it to the camera. Am I screwed here? Should I email them or just hope the computer doesn't pick up on suspicious activity?

Oh no! When did you discover the no pen no paper rule ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ctc865

Oh no! When did you discover the no pen no paper rule ?

Literally just today chatting to someone at work. Mentioned holding up my piece of paper with the writing I did on it and they told me.

• Advertisement

I am sure you are not the only person to it so try not to worry. Maybe you should mention it t the LS better to be upfront about it rather then hoping they don't notice !

Advertisement